• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Actions/Rifles

dead bird

Private
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Well I have looked for as much info as I could find here about Surgeon Actions. I am looking for any body who owns or owned one, or had a rifle built by them to offer some feedback about their quality, accuracy, customer service, or anything you have to say about them....good or bad.
I am considering a 260 rem build.

Re: Surgeon Actions/Rifles

I don't think you are get to get anyone to complain about a Surgeon action nor their rifles. I don't have one; however, I shoot with a friend that has a 260 Surgeon that was bought from Surgeon rifles and that rifle is a pleasure to shoot and I have seen him shoot 1/4 MOA groups at times. He uses it for F Class and does very well with it. If you have the money I would go for it. I wish they would come out with a <span style="color: #FF0000">Left Handed </span>version so I can get one. I highlight in red in case a Surgeon guy comes along and wants to update on the Left Handed versions they talked about but...

Surgeon is top quality stuff with top quality people working there!!

Use Surgeon in confidence.

I love my Surgeon built by Short Action Customs. It's extremely accurate, and quality is great.

My buddy owns a 20" factory built Surgeon and it's just as accurate as mine. Both guns are 1/4 MOA to 300

I'm very happy with the 308 they built me. It'll out-shoot my ability any day of the week, that's for sure. The 591 action is built like a tank and very smooth.

Customer service is top-notch. Those guys are crazy busy right now so I don't know what their current build time is but it can't hurt to give them a call and find out. They're at the high end of the price scale but the quality and support speak for themselves.

Surgeon actions rock, I don't have a rifle from Preston.......yet, but my 260 was built using a 591, I will buy nothing else from now on.

Dead Bird,

About 5 years ago, I went with Surgeon actions for all of my builds. Performance in the field drives "word of mouth" and that is more important to business security in this market than any sparkly web site.

My shops reputation rides on every rifle I build. Accordingly, I have to use components that I totally trust to work in conjuction with the balance of the assembly under hard use. Has to function everytime. Has to produce above par accuracy for the life of the barrel.

I am still running Serial Number 00005 and my buddy had 00004. They are run hard, sent out for demos and sent out as loaners if there is a need.

For my niche of the rifle market, I do not think there is a better fit for my needs. I trust them totally.

I have some friends that shoot their complete rifles (Scalpel, Remedy, etc.)and I can assure you they are top tier.

Good luck with your project.
BTW, Federal GM260M is almost here. Should be a top notch factory match load for the .260Rem.

DEAD BIRD,

Terry's post above should be all you need to make your decision. Terry is the go to guy for many law enforcement agencies around the country.

I have one rifle, with the Surgeon RSR action, and am very satisfied. I plan on buying two more of their actions, in the 591 model. There are many advantages of the integral scope rail, including:

-Lower scope height
-Stiffer action, with generous ejection port size

I made the call to Surgeon and currently they are building 308 cal rifles. They put me on the list to call when they start on 260's and I can tell them if I am all in or not. From everything I've learned about them it looks like it will be a go. Updates to follow......& thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry on Surgeon.

I ordered a 591 from them awhile back, they were awesome to deal with and I am very happy with the action.

As has been said here great actions and rifles. I had GAP with Surgeon action and currently have a Surgeon Scalpel. Zero problems, great quality, highly recommend.

I live close to Surgeon here in Oklahoma and I own a Surgeon. Quality? Well it is top shelf to say the least. As for Customer Service before and after the sale, I personally could not ask for better. They are small town folks and you definitely get that feeling in dealing with them. They treat a customer exactly how a customer should be treated. They have old school values in dealing with customers, by that I mean, they take you for your word and a hand shake still means something.

As for the quality of their rifles? All I can say is that my rifle is a laser. I can shave the head of a nail off at 100 yards. Are there other rifles out there that can do this? Of course. What I like is their customer service and the fact that they are close to my home. If I ever need anything done to the rifle they are just a few minutes drive from my home. I was told by Steve that if their was ever anything needed for the rifle to not go to anyone else but them. They would make sure that any repairs or mods would be done quickly and correctly. Any where else and I could not get the quick turn around.

The down fall to Surgeon, or any other rifle on this level, they are expensive. But you can tell the first time you sit down behind a Surgeon that it is the Cadillac of rifles.

I had a custom build done with an RSR action. Outstanding quality.

I cant really comment on the quality of the rifles that they assemble, but the actions and DBMs I have come into contact with have been excellent.

And as we learned in a thread I posted in the gunsmithing forum: Salt Bath Nitriding no bueno, voids warranty.

Have the Surgeon 591 on my GAP build. I chose it due to the fact that the rail and recoil lug are machined into one unit, thus less variables in the equation. It is a SOLID basis on which to build around and I have been very pleased with it.

I am just a rookie when it comes to this but wanted a quality set-up from the start. The guys above do this for a living and that's why this site is so helpful. I learn from them every day...JaxOps

And you can actually speak to a person and get pretty solid delivery dates. You won't feel like a number as you do with some custom builders.

How the Bat repeater action with integral picatinny rail compares with the the Surgeon? Dont see much about Bat actions.
Are they of lower quality than Surgeons?

LME

I have owned and used exstensively a Surgeon single shot match action for 5 years.I do my own barrel work so checked it thouroghly for straightness and concentricity...it required no machining...I am very pleased with it and would not hesitate to buy another.No problems with it what so ever.
intregal lug
intergal 20 moa picatanny rail
rem. footprint
tactical handle
very strong... made of steel.. not alum. with pressed in inserts.
bill larson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How the Bat repeater action with integral picatinny rail compares with the the Surgeon? Dont see much about Bat actions.

LME </div></div>

Never handled a BAT but have heard they are tip tier as well. The only complaint I've ever seen printed about them is their tolerances have been a little tight for field use.

You will not go wrong with a Surgeon. I have 2 and am very happy with both of them. They are smooth and I would not hesitate to have another rifle build with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LME</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

LME </div></div>

Having owned both....BAT makes a outstanding action. But they are not really designed to be a "field" action...meaning the tolerances are VERY tight on the BAT. Would not take much in the way of crud to seize things up. For a bench/target rifle they are a great tool to use. For tactical/field use the Surgeon would be a better choice.

Take care,Stan

Here are two videos featuring a Surgeon action and a Surgeon built rifle I use to own:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KV8JhG0BOY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_KV8JhG0BOY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I am now shooting my first Surgeon action via an RSR action on my new Spartan precision rig. Shot it at the TPRC and had zero issues through the 180 rounds in competition. So far it is working out really well.

I have a BAT action custom with intergral rail and lug, I think the tight tolerances are over blown. mine is spiral fluted which wisks away and dirt or debris. do you drop your gun in the mud and dirt?? I don't, just wipe down the bolt occasionally and you will be fine. I don't plan to use the rifle in iraq or afghanistan, its not like anyone normally can take their personal rifles there anyways. for even tactical guys here short of needing the gun in the jungle and in the mud the BAT action will work great. how many guys around here actually need their rifle to perform under those conditions anyways.

My first custom built rifle I just recently purchased was built on a Surgeon action. I must say after working the bolt on a Surgeon your Remingtons will become 2nd rate. Noting wrong with a Rem or any other factory action just the Surgeon is so buttery smooth I wonder now how I ever lived without it
grin.gif
Seriously I am that happy with it. Now Im not saying I wont ever get other custom actions but I will definately be buying another surgeon action.

Not bashing BAT (a great action) but there are a lot of people here that need thier rifle to perform in very harsh conditions that aren't in trashcanistan. Just because you're a fare weather shooter dosn't mean everyone else here is. There's 50K+ members on this forum.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not bashing BAT (a great action) but there are a lot of people here that need thier rifle to perform in very harsh conditions that aren't in trashcanistan. Just because you're a fare weather shooter dosn't mean everyone else here is. There's 50K+ members on this forum.

okie </div></div>

thats fine and if they do roll around in the dirt and mud more power to them. I have purposely not cleaned my gun for several outings in a row and honestly my ruger MK2 would be in the same condition. short of excessive dust or mud I have no problems with the action. its all about what you intend to do with the gun, surgeon looks like an awesome action and my second choice if I was doing the choosing.

Someone recently told me Surgeon was bought out? Is there any truth to this?

PS: I just got my 260 in about a month and a half ago built on a 591R and so far it is great.

Yes. Preston sold a percentage of the company off. If I am not mistaken there is a post in SH or over at LRHM. I am not going to speak for Preston but if I recall, and do not quote me, it had to do with being so covered up, ability to improve the overall infrastructure, and having the ability to get more gov. contracts.

But the quality and the same people are still there. Nothing has change in that aspect.

It was mostly around capital influx into the business. Adding more resources to the pool to do things on a bigger scale and be able to bring products to market that surgeon hasn't had the time/expertise/manpower to put work into.

Since the buy, we have seen the RSR retire, the website redone, the rifles sell out, a few new variations offered on some of the surgeon actions.