• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Surgeon Actions? Still Quality?

RickyRodney

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2014
MD
I was considering picking one up to go with a surgeon take-off barrel a friend has. I have heard that the company is not what it used to be and there are better options?

I was considering picking one up to go with a surgeon take-off barrel a friend has. I have heard that the company is not what it used to be and there are better options?

I have had two smiths tell me that their quality has dropped. They are no longer the only company with a one-piece action so there are better option

I the the above mentioned thread it said that Preston was back in charge, and that is real good news for Surgeon.

Reactions: Baron23
I have had two smiths tell me that their quality has dropped. They are no longer the only company with a one-piece action so there are better option
I would say that is true as far as quality with the first actions produced in AZ, but with Preston back in charge quality will be just like it was in OK.

Reactions: kthomas
Last one I played with would bind a lot and bolt lift wasn’t great. Sure that might have been a one off but I’d say unless you try the actual action you’re going to buy and are happy with it why bother when there’s so many good options out there.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what deficiencies to look for on my AZ made 591.

Reactions: 308pirate
I think that when they came out the Surgeons were top of the line. But they haven't really updated anything in the ten or so years since I had one.

I think companies like Bighorn and ARC have really brought the bolt action into the modern day.

I think that when they came out the Surgeons were top of the line. But they haven't really updated anything in the ten or so years since I had one.

I think companies like Bighorn and ARC have really brought the bolt action into the modern day.
Really in what way?

If you like it buy it. Somebody is always kicking something they have never owned. Armchair experts are fools looking for an audience. Find yourself a good smith, get a premium barrel and let him do his magic.

Reactions: 308pirate
I've owned two Surgeon actions in the past, wished I had kept them.

At the time when PP was at the helm, when I called in I actually was able to talk with the man.

IME, QC depends on the standards set; the higher the standard the less chance of a "dud."

To the OP, hows the gun shoot that your friend owns that you are considering? IF he hasn't had any issues, then I see no reason not to consider it.

Here is the problem. You can't use pre-fits (that I know of ) and are stuck with a 591 action or chassis inllet. So either you get super lucky with a used one you want or are forced to order a new one.

They are obsolete when compared with modern actions today.

Here is the problem. You can't use pre-fits (that I know of ) and are stuck with a 591 action or chassis inllet. So either you get super lucky with a used one you want or are forced to order a new one.

Impact prefit work fine for me.

Reactions: CrabsandFootball
If Mike at TacOps is building his rifles with Surgeon actions, there's a good reason...

TacOps2.jpg

A nomination for “dumbest thing I’ve ever hear thread”

There are a number of profits and it’s a R700 footprint.
😂🤣😂🤣

As for the OP’s question....their customer service is garbage now but if you can get past that, it’s still a great action that leaves me wanting nothing.

A nomination for “dumbest thing I’ve ever hear thread”

There are a number of profits and it’s a R700 footprint.
😂🤣😂🤣

As for the OP’s question....their customer service is garbage now but if you can get past that, it’s still a great action that leaves me wanting nothing.
, oh the irony.

Last edited:
, oh the irony.

If you can’t work a file or rasp you prob shouldn’t touch guns.

It’s not a problem.

I bet you throw cars away when they run out of fuel.

And that thread is 10 years old 😂🤣😂

If you can’t work a file or rasp you prob shouldn’t touch guns.

It’s not a problem.

I bet you throw cars away when they run out of fuel.

And that thread is 10 years old 😂🤣😂
Yea nothing like taking a rasp to a brand new $1500 chassis or Stock. The paint job is going to look great as well as destroying any warranty it may have.

Do you inlet with a dremel and a hacksaw?

The point of the thread is multiple respected smiths say its not a direct fit. The fact that there are specific inlets from all stock makers for the Surgeon actions is what we would call a hint.

Who is going to spend $4k+ on a rifle build and have to file it to fit. Might as well have a smith do a pro-job and its almost guaranteed they will start with either a blank stock like LRI does or order one for a 591/1086.

Yea nothing like taking a rasp to a brand new $1500 chassis or Stock. The paint job is going to look great as well as destroying any warranty it may have.

The point of the thread is multiple respected smiths say its not a direct fit. The fact that there are specific inlets from all stock makers for the Surgeon actions is what we would call a hint.

Who is going to spend $4k+ on a rifle build and have to file it to fit. Might as well have a smith do a pro-job and its almost guaranteed they will start with either a blank stock like LRI does or order one for a 591/1086.
I've had to take a rasp, file, Dremel, or various other cutting tools to every custom stock I've owned regardless of what action they were inletted for.

Almost all modern chassis are hybrid designs that take a wide array of R700'ish actions including the M591s without modifcations.

Glass and CF stocks that are CNC inletted are usually inletted for very specific inlets matched to the proposed host action.

Some of the newer glass and CF stock designs from Manners and McMillan drop the top waterline of the action area to allow similar universal action hosting to the hybrid chassis designs.

......so.......no one is going to be stuck with a chassis that will not accept other actions.

./

Problems with Surgeon actions is like "kids in cages" it's a bunch of bullshit perpetuated by people with an axe to grind.

Almost all modern chassis are hybrid designs that take a wide array of R700'ish actions including the M591s without modifcations.

Glass and CF stocks that are CNC inletted are usually inletted for very specific inlets matched to the proposed host action.

Some of the newer glass and CF stock designs from Manners and McMillan drop the top waterline of the action area to allow similar universal action hosting to the hybrid chassis designs.

......so.......no one is going to be stuck with a chassis that will not accept other actions.

./
Thank you for the clarification Terry.

Does that mean the 591 inlet stocks we have seen in sale over the years like your KMW would be compatible with other 700SA actions?

I just had a rifle built off an old surgeon action I had sitting in the safe. Once I finally get some time I'm going to throw a review up on rifle/builder. Fit and finish on the action looks great. I remember when they were the only game in town and everyone wanted a surgeon action. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Reactions: toader

My Smith starts with blanks and can beat up your smith.

Thank you for the clarification Terry.

Does that mean the 591 inlet stocks we have seen in sale over the years like your KMW would be compatible with other 700SA actions?
No.

Per my post above. If a fiberglass or CF stock has a programmed inlet machined to a specific action then that stock is pretty much dedicated to that make and model of action unless you want to modify it further.

So a 591 inlet is for a 591.

However, the IMB option on a KMW stock is pretty much considered a "chassis".
It is a hybrid design that you could interchangeably drop a M591, Defiance, Stiller, R700, Bighorn or Impact 737 into and run perfectly without modification....just like a conventional chassis with good design.

./

Regular everyday Remington 700's still work very well. So would you consider it a better action than a Remington? I think a Surgeon will work just fine...

To say Surgeon actions are obsolete is just BS I have a Defiance Deviant and a Surgeon 591 both operate great, no difference in the way they run really I like the Surgeon better.

Reactions: BCX

You would have a heart attack if you saw what I did to my $2200+ JAE chassis...

• Wow
Reactions: CrabsandFootball

./
This ^^ is a man I will listen to on rifles any time, day or night.

Thanks for coming in with some real expertise and knowledge, Terry.

Reactions: Stoweit
Surgeon actions are awesome...however forget about their customer service. If your action or build has an issue, you are on you own.

Last edited:
Took me 8 months to get a firing pin.

He speaks the truth.

That's a shame. Hopefully they rectify that.

While Surgeons are great actions, they don't seem to be too concerned with getting back their former market share. When there is so many quality options available these days on the action market, it's not a healthy business approach to just sit back and get complacent, sitting on a product that never gets updated.

Hopefully they sort their CS out, and it would be nice to try and see them evolve and get back some market share.

Reactions: whiskeytower
For all you guys that have stuffed your obsolete and broken Surgeon actions into your coffee cans of scrap metal, dig them out and PM me. I will pay a premium over scrap metal prices for them.

• Haha
Reactions: BCX and Chasing3
I have long enjoyed my Surgeon Scalpel 300 Win Mag. The 1086 action is smooth and it still hammers. Mine is an OK build from the days when Preston was The Man. I would say if you want a Surgeon don't be afraid to do it.

I love my Surgeon 591SA CSR barreled action. Won’t be giving it up. Waiting for new scope to be released then this build will be done.

Attachments

• AE400B9C-4B37-43DA-B354-36F37F6D42F6.jpeg
    AE400B9C-4B37-43DA-B354-36F37F6D42F6.jpeg
    608.7 KB · Views: 193
I have a Surgeon 591R that I won off a prize table 2013 in my first precision rifle match. That rifle then took 1st in the U.S. Army International Sniper Comp the following year.

Hands down, that rifle will go to my grave with me, she a mean bitch. I’ve seen a few more Surgeon’s over the years teaching and I’ve never seen one disappoint. I know that their CS sucked for a while and sure there are some pretty neat other actions out there but I’d say you’d be hard pressed to prove that a Surgeon action is “obsolete“.