• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Swaro STR spotter

Devildog

Professional Nail Bender
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 24, 2013
    The Land of Oz
    I’d like to upgrade from my mark 4 spotter, it works but I’d like better glass and more magnification yet I’d still like a reticle.
    Seems like the beauty of the STR optic is you get the best of both worlds, want a reticle turn it on, don’t want it turn it off. My main use is spotting targets, yet scanning for animals in the wild is right up there, along with some digiscoping.

I know it’s big, I don’t plan to pack it long distances so the size and weight isn’t an issue. I’m looking at the STX and the ATX also. I’m guessing there has to be some trade offs between the STR and the others. Just looking for some insight from those of you that have used the STR and what your experience has been. Thanx

Last edited:
    I had a Mark 4 and upgraded to a 65mm STR. If you can find one they are pretty awesome. They have stopped making as it was a contract thing for certain departments in the government, not sure who or how much but I was told they are not made anymore. Its a shame as it still makes for a packable scope but the glass clarity that you can only dream about from the Leupold.

I wouldnt hesitate to make the jump if you have the coin. I love the reticle and feel it is more useful than the TMR I had in the leupy.

Reactions: Devildog
    Just to add, there is a chance the glass in an ATX/STX will be a little better but it would be hard to tell, and you give up the reticle. Couple notes:

-I have the 25-50 wide angle eyepiece and while I feel at times the 25 is a bit much the wide angle helps keep it manageable. I did like the 12-40 range of the Leupy a lot.
    - Make sure to adjust the reticle to your eye once you get it, it might not be and can make you frustrated that it feels hazy, also watch how bright you make the reticle as that will mess with clarity and crispness of the lines.

Reactions: Devildog
    I picked up an str 80 mrad off Ebay for a steal. For me, so just my opinion, it is exactly what I wanted and needed for learning to read wind better and also to know target sizes. The mirage is easier for me to read than a 15x bino because of the focus controls and how u can really dial in the focus to see the mirage from firing point all the way to target. I had a stx95, and I remember it being awesome glass, i just dont remember it being waaaaay better than my str. It may be, but I haven't felt under glassed at all with the str. I def think the 25-50 wide angle eyepiece is well worth it. And obviously the reticle works just like what I wanted. All in all, for me, my opinion, I dont know what i would go to for my style of shooting that would be better. Some people say the spotter 45 and 60 are better, others say the str. Me, I'm just fat and sassy with my str. I am completely satisfied with it. Ymmv

I'm currently looking to sell my Vortex Razor Spotter for an STR-80 MRAD, are there any downsides to the STR? Obviously battery power is one piece. I'm doing my best to try and justify the cost. I've looked through one in person and was absolutely impressed. I never owned one, so I have no idea what the con's are.

I cant say on total battery life, because I just turn the reticle on to measure targets then turn it off. For me, at this point. I cant find any downsides. I feel like the new stx and atx prob has a hair better glass, but again, I have not felt under glassed in the slightest. I've had a stx95, slc 15x56, AND a few more and the str80 is good enough that I don't feel like I am missing anything. Ymmv

I'm looking to use the reticle during range sessions, so the requirement is that whichever optic I go with will need to have an MRAD reticle. I would be willing to take a SLIGHT hit in picture quality for that feature.