• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes SWFA Fixed vs 3-15?

UCChris

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Utah, USA
Got SWFA's Black Friday email today and there's some deals on a couple scopes that I've been trying to decide on. It will be going on a high end PCP air rifle used for small game hunting. For all intents and purposes, treat it like a precision .22 trainer, for those that don't do the air rifle thing.

I've had a couple of fixed SWFA SS scopes in the 10x, 12x, and 16x varieties, but I've never had a SWFA FFP. My entry into FFP was a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 that will now reside on my fiance's matching rifle. I love FFP, but don't love it enough to give up tracking quality, if there is even a difference in tracking between fixed and variable. The most expensive scope I've owned is the SWFA SS series and the Vortex DB Tactical, so I've never tried anything in the $500-$1000 range. Is it worth it?

The fixed 16x is going to be on sale for $255.

The 3-15x FFP is going to be on sale for $399

What do I choose?

The 3-15x42 is a no-brainer at that price, and I'll be picking up a couple more for the kids' rimfire rifles.

The 3-15 FFP is on sale for 399? That's insane.

If I was remotely in the market, I'd scoop that up in a heartbeat.

The 3-15 SWFA tracks like a tank. You could literally beat the diamond back with it like a raging monkey and it would still track and hold zero. I’ve owned two of them with zero issues.

The 3-15 SWFA tracks like a tank. You could literally beat the diamond back with it like a raging monkey and it would still track and hold zero. I’ve owned two of them with zero issues.

Thanks for the visual. I will snag one as soon as the sale opens.

Reactions: Bender
A member here makes Zero Stop shims for the 3-15. I found that to be a worthy addition. Mine has held up to a big Weatherrby mag just fine so suspect it will hold up to an air gun well!

Reactions: UCChris
The 3-15x42 SS has been in continuous production for right around a decade now and is still competitive. That is one hell of a track record.

Also, I know how many of these they RMA back and the percentage is both freakishly low and has stayed consistent for almost a decade. There was a design flaw on one batch during the first year of production that they identified and fixed. Aside from that, it has been absolutely solid.

ILya

I was looking for a scope for my new PCP FX Royale. I had the SWFA 3-15 on my short list.

I ended up going with the STAC 4-20 which was about $375. But when comparing options I expected the SWFA to be 700 and maybe dip as low as 600 for Black Friday. I have possible buyers remorse now.

This is going to be the largest discount season SWFA has had since I've been watching.

$200 fixed 10x? $1000 illuminated 5-20 HD? Good lord. They might be moving stock because of an update.....who knows.....

This is going to be the largest discount season SWFA has had since I've been watching.

$200 fixed 10x? $1000 illuminated 5-20 HD? Good lord. They might be moving stock because of an update.....who knows.....

Does it matter? What kind of an update would it have to be for someone in the market right now to pass up on a $300 off on a 3-15x42? or a fixed 10x for $200?

ILya

Does it matter? What kind of an update would it have to be for someone in the market right now to pass up on a $300 off on a 3-15x42? or a fixed 10x for $200?

ILya

Oh it doesn't matter. Excellent scopes all around. It raised my attention to see how much they discounted this time, which is usually a sign of rolling out old stock for their next new product.

ILya

Yea, I'll have at least one more at that price.

Can anyone post the ad? My google skills must be weak and I haven’t received an email...

807453A3-DBE4-4094-BEAB-8CC99D2B086C.png

I was looking for a scope for my new PCP FX Royale. I had the SWFA 3-15 on my short list.

I ended up going with the STAC 4-20 which was about $375. But when comparing options I expected the SWFA to be 700 and maybe dip as low as 600 for Black Friday. I have possible buyers remorse now.

Good to see a fellow AG nut on here!

Got SWFA's Black Friday email today and there's some deals on a couple scopes that I've been trying to decide on. It will be going on a high end PCP air rifle used for small game hunting. For all intents and purposes, treat it like a precision .22 trainer, for those that don't do the air rifle thing.

I've had a couple of fixed SWFA SS scopes in the 10x, 12x, and 16x varieties, but I've never had a SWFA FFP. My entry into FFP was a Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16 that will now reside on my fiance's matching rifle. I love FFP, but don't love it enough to give up tracking quality, if there is even a difference in tracking between fixed and variable. The most expensive scope I've owned is the SWFA SS series and the Vortex DB Tactical, so I've never tried anything in the $500-$1000 range. Is it worth it?

The fixed 16x is going to be on sale for $255.

The 3-15x FFP is going to be on sale for $399

What do I choose?

Check the poppet seals before you sell.

I'm just starting out in long range shooting and was looking to upgrade my glass. I was considering the SWFA 3-15 at the 699 price point. Placed my order 15mins ago and got the scope, butler creek caps, and sunshade for $431 shipped. Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks for the heads up guys. Just ordered a 10x milquad for my boy and a 16x milquad for an AR. $199 and $254 (with free rings, sunshade, and level) respectively.

Reactions: Bender and UCChris
I have a SWFA 3x15 on a hunting rifle sighted at 100 yards. I took great advice from Frank and put 200 yard dope on my 100 yard zero for hunting, 4/10 mill for a 30-06 178 grain ELDX. I hit POA POI at 299 yard on a deer in the rain , scope was what I consider clear In low light conditions while hunting . Very pleased but I haven’t tested for error out to distance yet

Reactions: Bender
Check the poppet seals before you sell.

???

I'm just starting out in long range shooting and was looking to upgrade my glass. I was considering the SWFA 3-15 at the 699 price point. Placed my order 15mins ago and got the scope, butler creek caps, and sunshade for $431 shipped. Can't wait to try it out!

I just ordered the 3-15 and shade! It's an awesome sale!

Reactions: MC56 and CcoFirst
I was really tempted at the 3-15 for $399, but bought the 3-9 instead for a hunting rifle. I had the fixed 10x once and the view was just not as crisp as my 5-20hd. That experience made me think I’m better off with the HD line, so paid an extra $50 for the 3-9.

Reactions: Rebels010
The 3-9 is an excellent scope, you’ll be happy. Check out the zero stop kit from Timk on here.

Reactions: CcoFirst