• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Swfa price drops on lots of SS glass

Evan03

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
I may snag a 3-15 millquad sfp . I didn't get on ffp band wagon

sfp 3-15 is 339
some rear focus models are 254
10 fixed side focus is also on sale swell as the for 3-15

why they're moving them I don't know. They haven't reflected these price drops on eBay yet.

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/rifle...rand=SWFA%20SS

They will run another sale on black Friday. The deals are usually a little better then.

They will run another sale on black Friday. The deals are usually a little better then.
If you want to wait all the way past the end of this season to do so. I can barely resist buying them before payday. To me, it would be foolish to pass this sale up if there's something you can use. The Black Friday prices this year were only $30-40 better on the 3-15 and 5-20. So buy now and get 7 more months of use out of them.

Last edited:
If you want to wait all the way past the end of this season to do so. I can barely resist buying them before payday. To me, it would be foolish to pass this sale up if there's something you can use. The Black Friday prices this year were only $30-40 better on the 3-15 and 5-20. So buy now and get 7 more months of use out of them.

My point was to let the op know they have two "big" sales/year. Some time back the deals were similar but more recently the tax day sales became less attractive. I grabbed a 5-20 on a bf deal for $975 one year, quite a bit better than the current tax day price.

Does anyone know how it works for items that are on backorder? I have a few things I want to order but they are currently out of stock

Can anyone educate me as to why only certain reticles are for sale and not all types? I would buy a SFP 3-15x42 with the reticle I prefer, not sure to the exact type but it is the one that has a complete cross hair and not a center dot. The reason I hesitate is I can not examine it first hand and determine if I like it or not VS for lack of better way to describe it more traditional cross hair configuration.

Sweet. I knew about black friday sale but not tax sale.

is dm reticle a milldot?

I have a straight 10x and straight 12x on the way. This will finally convert my last two rifles from moa to mil mil.

i have one of thier 10X on my .308 and love it......just picked up a 20x for my .300 win mag

Can anyone educate me as to why only certain reticles are for sale and not all types? I would buy a SFP 3-15x42 with the reticle I prefer, not sure to the exact type but it is the one that has a complete cross hair and not a center dot. The reason I hesitate is I can not examine it first hand and determine if I like it or not VS for lack of better way to describe it more traditional cross hair configuration.

SWFA is killin' me. New spotter and a PMII. Their Sample List sales pages typically show sold stuff for days after the transaction, but I've seen stuff going onto and off the Sample List with no indication that it sold. I imagine that they move new stock onto it that's gotten dusty on the shelves, and they make the decisions according to the dictates of cash generation and profit margin.

Right now there's a massive Steiner up that I just don't need (yet), the purchase of which I just can't conscience. Still got one rifle left to build and it needs a 'scope.

i have one of thier 10X on my .308 and love it......just picked up a 20x for my .300 win mag

Ill be curious how you get along with the 20. I have two fixed 12x powers and the eyebox is right at the point of me being worried about going fixed on a higher magnification with regular glass (swfa). I love my 12x's but i cant bring myself to try a higher mag without hd glass.

Ill be curious how you get along with the 20. I have two fixed 12x powers and the eyebox is right at the point of me being worried about going fixed on a higher magnification with regular glass (swfa). I love my 12x's but i cant bring myself to try a higher mag without hd glass.

yeah im kind of curious as well......kind of why i decided to try it, as i havent found many reviews on the 20x.

but honestly, im not really much of a "glass snob".....if i can see through it half way clearly im pretty happy......my primary concern in scopes is tracking and durability.....

ill be sure to post a review though once i have some time on it.

I would really like to hear your impressions of the 5-20 HD. I have wanted to jump on one but the reviews are few and far between so I have waited. I hear they are considerably nicer than the standard models not just in image quality but also the turrets are considerably nicer from an ergonomic perspective. No real improvement in tracking but better control and more positive click feeling.

I would really like to hear your impressions of the 5-20 HD. I have wanted to jump on one but the reviews are few and far between so I have waited. I hear they are considerably nicer than the standard models not just in image quality but also the turrets are considerably nicer from an ergonomic perspective. No real improvement in tracking but better control and more positive click feeling.

I have owned three or four of the SSHD's over the past years. If you go back and look at my old posts, you will see that I was a huge SSHD fan. Those scopes are built like brick shit houses, they tracked well, returned to zero, and offered a decent reticle to boot. The glass is outstanding, particularly when you start comparing it to other optics in that price range. At the time, G1 Razor's were running 2k retail, and I didn't think there was even a comparison worth doing. I believed the SSHD's just had them licked in every department except tube diameter and reticle options.

Now, here's my beef with SWFA, it two different beefs, actually: 1) reticles - they don't offer any other reticle options. With the ever-increasing excitement for reticles of the Christmas tree-type designs, combined with the great glass and durability of their optics, you'd think that SWFA would have done a little bit of development in that department. In fact, I sent the head shed over there a message on here many many moons ago where I asked him if they would be offering different reticle options. I got back, "no plans to make any other reticles available," or something to that effect. 2) Prices - they should consider lowering their prices. Although the 5-20 SSHD is a great optic, it's got so much competition these days, that nobody is spending 13-1500.00 (non illum/illum) on them. They're still trying to sell their damn 1-6x for almost 1k. You've got G2 PST's, XTR II's DMR II's, etc... and some of them are a couple hundred dollars less than the SSHD's.

Long story short, Nik, if you have the opportunity to gran a 5-20 at a decent price, get it. It will serve you well. They appear to hold their value fairly well, so if you grab it and end up not liking it, toss it on the EE. My first "awesome" scope was a 4-16 PST when they first came out. I got into the SSHD some time after that and felt like I was running S&B! HAHAHA!!!

Thanks for the input FALex

I actually like the MQ reticle for my application so it isn't a huge issue. I have been looking for a good deal on the 5-20 but haven't run across one yet. I think it will be a big improvement to my 3-15 although my young son has taken a liking to it so he may inherent that one for his 10/22.

Thanks again

yeah im kind of curious as well......kind of why i decided to try it, as i havent found many reviews on the 20x.

but honestly, im not really much of a "glass snob".....if i can see through it half way clearly im pretty happy......my primary concern in scopes is tracking and durability.....

ill be sure to post a review though once i have some time on it.

Are you specifically speaking about the fixed power 20x42 SWFA? If so I thought that's what you ment. If that is in fact the scope your getting please let me and others know how you do with it. I'm no glass snob either, but I do plainly see how getting much past 12x fixed power on non-hd or lower priced scopes could be of diminishing return. Tight groups.

yup, fixed 20x is on the way.....should be in this week, so i can give some initial impressions then.

y

I bought two when they were first were introduced. They were worth the wait. The only real knock on them has been the reticle. This is only valid if you insist on the Christmas tree variants. Though the Xmas tree certainly has it's advocates I have never felt lost with the 5-20 reticle. I have never had a problem with mine and one is on a TRG .338 LM..

A couple of years ago I started a thread asking what problems people had with them. There simply were no takers. The illumination is not daylight compatible but SWFA believed there would be more compatibility with NV.

I have been been considering another scope purchase and looking at Gen 2s, F1s, Minox, PMII, etc. I am not financially limited and the reason is that I don't buy shit that exceeds my needs or performance abilities. It's very likely that will simply buy another SS.

Thanks for the input FALex

I actually like the MQ reticle for my application so it isn't a huge issue. I have been looking for a good deal on the 5-20 but haven't run across one yet. I think it will be a big improvement to my 3-15 although my young son has taken a liking to it so he may inherent that one for his 10/22.

Thanks again

I have a SS 3-15, and just purchased a 5-20 HD. I will let you know my impressions as soon as I can get some range time. I am not a seasoned pro or glass snob like some around here, just so you know. I have never looked through anything more expensive than the 3-15, though I have looked though hunting scope glass that is eqaul or better for a fraction of the price (just the glass). I really like my 3-15, so it is going on my newly built AR.

I have a SS 3-15, and just purchased a 5-20 HD. I will let you know my impressions as soon as I can get some range time. I am not a seasoned pro or glass snob like some around here, just so you know. I have never looked through anything more expensive than the 3-15, though I have looked though hunting scope glass that is eqaul or better for a fraction of the price (just the glass). I really like my 3-15, so it is going on my newly built AR.

You will be thoroughly impressed with the 5-20. It is a substantial upgrade from the 3-15.

First impressions without shooting anything yet, I think I got a good 3-15 off the sample list. It has some marks on it, but the glass is good and clear throughout the mag range, and the eye relief is friendly. The turrets are pretty robust with solid, firm and audible clicks with just a little play between clicks if you try. They are a bit tall, and 5 mil rotations, but absolutely nothing to complain about. Seem to track as well as I could tell with the rifle it was mounted on not being a great shooter. Great close focus parallax and fast focus diopter. I do notice some eye strain when behind it a while at the range, but that could be me (I have dry eyes).

First impressions of the 5-20 HD. I tried setting the diopter holding it by hand looking at the sky, but I didn't notice much change. I got cold feet and thought I might be doing it wrong, so just gave up until I could research it after mounting. It is perfect out of the box in appearance with good markings on the dials and alignment of indexes. It has a 10 mil knob, which makes the knobs shorter and wider (good), but the clicks are much closer together. Since they are so close together, they have less tactile feel, and less audible too. It seems easier to double click, but they are nice and tight with no play between clicks worth mentioning. The eyebox is obviously tighter at 20x than the 3-15 is at 15, but seems friendly enough, and certainly good at lower mag. No cattail on the mag ring, and it is tough to turn, but seems fine for me. Parallax only goes to 50 yds, but has better graduations than the 3-15. It was too dark to check out after I got her mounted, so no real comment on the glass so far, other than being able to clearly pick out wood grains in the trees behind my house at 50ish yards while holding it by hand.

I am excited to take them both to the range ASAP!

so the fixed 20x came in....as far as initial looks go, i gotta say im impressed.....glass quality is actually quite nice....honestly, aside from the added magnification, i really cant tell that im not looking through my 10X.......image is sharp and clear with no noticeable distortion around the edges......not S&B quality, but damn good for $250-300 scope.

turrets are just like the 10X, a little mushy, but theyll do

eye relief is about the same as the 10X

Ill know more once i actually put some rounds through it at range.....but at the moment im not displeased with my purchase

planning on pulling it back out in a few hours to see how it does in low light, but on a nice sunny day itll perform fine

Update:

so just pulled it out again at 30mins past sundown.

low light fidelity is Meh....had a hard time spotting a 6" plate at 50 yds, so contrast could be a bit better, but still a clear image.....overall not terribly surprising since it was pretty fucking dark, but it is definitely a "daytime" scope

Last edited:
I shot both rifles today. The glass on the HD is really great, and it tracked perfectly with the turrets matching the reticle. I'm very happy with the scope. I was easily zeroed in 3 shots.

I'm also still impressed with the 3-15. It is an amazing all purpose scope that would serve anyone well in nearly any desired role. It also tracks perfectly, and zeroed in 3 shots. Great scope.

The HD is in a league of its own as far as value on the dollar is concerned. Clarity and sharpness are right there with the Gen 1 and Bushy XRS, and even a step above the XTRii. Turrets and tracking are outstanding. All the performance of much higher priced scopes, even if you do give up some of the features.

My one 'complaint' with the HD is the reticle... The mil-quad is a great design - very easy to use - however, it's much too thick for my taste at 20x power. Even so, I'm not sure it's much of a complaint since that really boils down to personal preference.

Glad to see all swfa ss talk.
I like my 3-15 the more I use it. I wasn't able to add another 3-15 during the sale . Maybe black friday or used. Only played 350 for my ffp 3-15.

do want 10 power to

Glad to see all swfa ss talk.
I like my 3-15 the more I use it. I wasn't able to add another 3-15 during the sale . Maybe black friday or used. Only played 350 for my ffp 3-15.

do want 10 power to
I feel my 10x is notably brighter, and crisper than both my 12x's. fwiw. ymmv.