• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Swiss K31 stock cleaning

lrgrendel

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2012
Sanford. FL
I’m not refinishing it for the purists reading this...

Mine is very rough and discolored. A lot of grime from over the years. Just want to try and clean the stock up a bit. Besides hot water and soap, any ideas that won’t harm the stock.

Looking for some constructive and helpful ideas with how to clean my stock. Nothing else.

Thanks.

Lemon oil furniture polish and 0000 (Extra Fine) steel wool will take all the grime off, unlike gun oil, it is harmless to the wood, or wood finish. Learnt this when I was cleaning up some mil-surps for a friend about 25 years ago.

I recall using Pledge. Just checked my wife's stash of household cleaners and it actually states "Pledge Revitalizing Oil with Orange Oil", which is citric based and is most likely what I used back then. Not real fancy, but it did the job.

What did the Swiss oil it with?

When I want to clean a GI stock applying more linseed oil is a way to it.

The oil is a solvent and will loosen up grime.

Replace the old dirty oil with new clean oil and feed the wood without drying it at the same time.

Last edited:
lots of video's online about reworking old beat up rifle stocks which ever method you choose please keep pictures before during and after I would love to see how you do and would think others would like to see it as well . We will be within the next year looking for a pretty rough m1 to try and learn how to restore if god is willing and the stars are aligned the idea is to restore it or at the least get a learning experience from it . Good luck to you and have fun .

Check Swissrifles.com on this topic it has been comprehensively covered. Original finish was shellac, from memory TSP has been suggested to clean after rubbing back while being careful not to round corners or remove cartouches.

Wash the stock really well with soapy water after using TSP if you decide to go that route, especially if it is one of the lighter birch wood stocks unless you enjoy it having a light green sheen.