• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Switching from sfp to ffp Upgrade questions.

WestTex

CD
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2014
Abilene, Texas
Hey hiders! First off I'm new to the forum as well as long range shooting. My max range that I've played at is only 600 so far. I'm looking to push out further so I'm having a 7mm stw built in hopes of bergers new 195 hrs being released. Currently using 7mm rem mag.
That being said my first "high end" to me optic was a vortex viper pst with ebr1 moa reticle in sfp. I had it in my head I was upgrading to a nightforce for years until this forum. Recently, shooting paper and steel at various ranges I've started realizing a want/need for ffp for ranging so I preordered the new vortex gen ii 4.5-27.
My question is if the horus type reticles get too "busy" with ffp at max magnification. I understand that sfp reticles are thinner at max mag than ffp but can anyone that uses a horus type ffp reticle chime in and tell me if all the holdover marks get to dark and clutter the fov. Specifically someone using a vortex ebr2b since that is the closest to the ebr 2c that I ordered. The max range I will be shooting is 1000-1200 for now. I apologize if this was a bit long winded lol. I've been trolling these forums forever and just wanted to make my question as clear as I could. I've learned a bunch from these forums and enjoy taking what I've learned here out and put to practice, Thanks!

I loved the ebr2b. Never found it to cluttered. Some horus style reticles are for sure though. If you stick with the vortex you'll be fine. I'm using just a leupold tmr reticle now but don't notice a huge difference of seeing more without the tree in the way. If anything I miss that reticle sometimes. That should be an excellent scope choice. Side note, what twist are you planning to run for the 195s?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input bk. I was worried about that as I only started thinking about it as an afterthought. Though at the distances I'm shooting at I'm not sure it would really matter lol. I'm really starting to like the horus type reticles though.
I decided on 1n8.75" out of a bartlein 30" Palmer barrel. Berger recommends 8.5 but that's based in sea level and where I generally shoot it's 1709 ft above so I'm hoping the extra elevation will allow me to run .25" slower as well as the added velocity of the longer barrel. I would've gone 8.5" but bartlein had an 8 month wait time and my gunsmith got a hold of the 8.75 for me.

Last edited:
I hear ya on wait times. I think you'll be fine. I think you'll manage much much more than 1200yds. My dad's stw with 168s is easy as pie to 1500. I can only image 195s out of a 30". And that 4.5-27. Also back to the vortex they have an open center reticle which is awesome when you get to high magnification. And still allows precise aiming without a thick crosshair in the way and the hashs are pretty thin that even at higher magnification they don't block too much.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Well the round, rifle, and optics may be capable of beyond 1500 but the guy behind it pullling the trigger may not be up to scratch yet lol. I'm slowly getting there.
I was going to ask about the open crosshair next as that was another deciding factor for vortex being my first ffp scope. I know this is a big jump in optics for me but I figured buy once cry once. After reading up in all the hype the gen 2 just had me sold.
Looks like you've managed to alleviate my concerns and gotten me more anxious for release date. Thanks!