• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tac/Hunting Rifle Build in Qld, Australia

shooter_rob91

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
This is my first post on this forum, but I have been reading for a while. Anyways, I am considering getting serious and putting a good, all-round tactical/hunting rifle together. If anyone is from, or knows about Australia, this is no simple task, and costs a considerable amount of money for something relatively basic (I am considering moving to Canada or US caus of the stupidity that is overcoming my poor country).

I have my eye on a Remy 700 SPS V in .308 that is on special for $850. I just need some advice as to a good aftermarket stock that I can just drop it straight into or with minimal work, as well as a good scope. I have looked at Boyds stocks, as well as 2nd hand walnut stocks as I prefer wood and in a perfect world I would get a Leupold Tactical scope, but they retail for about $1500 here so that is a bit past my price range.

All thoughts and advice are welcomed.

Re: Tac/Hunting Rifle Build in Qld, Australia

I cant really offer advice as to what stock/scope but ill get this question out of the way. what is your price range?

Hi Rob91
I know where your coming from in regards to prices, when I bought my AICS stock for my ltr some years ago the 10 shot mags were $250 each! Any sort of build is going to be quite pricey at least we have more choice these days as "tactical" style rifles are more popular. As for scopes Extravision has 6-24x50 for $1100 (a little cheaper) and a shipment has just arrived in Oz yesterday. Also check local gunsmith sites as some have a good seletion of tactical style rifles already built, that way there's no trips back and forth to an armourer for additional work, just a thought?

I would take a look at some of the Howas that Roedale offers.- considering the price of the remington plus a stock, you are in a similar price range and at least the Howa action will have been trued.

Howas come with an integral recoil lug and m16 type extractor.- I like it better than a remington.

Or look at a Tika T3.

I've just bought a tikka t3 and hands down its better and smoother than the remingtons i've shot. Only downside to them is stocks are few and far between after market wise. Other than that its a sweet shooter great feel and although the cheaper end of sako it shoots just as well.
If you know someone in the usa pay them to buy and send you a scope. Occasionally you can get some good deals from the local just k about any supliers having a sell out.

If you want a serious Tac rifle built then speak to Andrew or Steve at APRS in Adelaide...http://www.lightforce.net.au/aprs/products/rifles

In QLD John Giles at PSECO has done some awesome work when it comes to semi custom/ custom builds.

Otherwise if your going the semi custom route, the tikka and howa actions are a great base to start from, still somewhat limited by stocks and acc but it's getting better. Do some google on the available accessories for both.

Cheers

JJ