• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TAC in .308?

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
Anyone running TAC in a .308? Specifically, anyone using it with 168gr bullets? I just ordered another 8lb jug, and I have been using it primarily with 55-75gr bullets in a .223. It looks very close to H4895 in burn rate, meters like BL(C)-2, and is certainly a lot easier to find than Varget.

Reactions: MarkBlue
Re: TAC in .308?

I've seen a lot of recipes with 168gr pills + Tac and people seem to like the results. Temp sensitivity seems to steer the crowd towards Varget, but if you got it use it. I am working up a load this weekend to test it out as well.

Per Ramshot's Tac data:
168gr bullets - Suggested Start: 40.1gr / Max: 44.5gr

Curious about answers on this as well. Just loaded up my first 10 175gr SMK's behind 40.5 and 41.0 grains of TAC to begin load development, but haven't made it to the range yet.

I've been using TAC with very good results in .223 with LC 55gr FMJBT's and Sierra 77gr SMK's.

From what I've read TAC is a versatile powder that can be used with good results in both .223 and .308. Most use it for light to medium weight for cartridge projectiles, I may asking too much trying to use it for the 175 gr in .308. You may have better luck with the 168's.

Ive seen on another site were it was used under a 175 smk, and i want to say the velocity was right around 2700. between 42 and 44.2 gr.

Good luck, im thinking about going this route as well because of availability.

howdy

I have had some good results in my bolt gun with it. Was shooting 168gn FMJ for Golden West. Groups at 100 were the same as with 175 SMK's with Varget. I have not had the chance to stretch them out further.

Sounds promising. I'm going to try and work up a load this evening for a potential range trip tomorrow, but who knows what the weather will do.

I've heard mention of the relative temp insensitivity of TAC, but not seen any specific data. Anyone have any actual experience with the powder is extreme temp swings?

I've been using TAC for my .308Win loads for some time. Works well with 155's, 168's & 175's. From about 42.5-45.5grs depending on bullet weight. Velocity from 2680-2840fps.

Used TAC when Varget was hard to come by. Loads were as accurate as anything else. Meters very well. Does seem more temp sensitive, so I try and keep my ammo covered/out of the sun.

On a tangent, I now also use Ramshot X-Terminator with 155's. That's been working pretty well too.

I have been told from various people that is what Black Hills was loading in there .308Win I assume they still are.

Its really hard not to use this powder, especially considering its around $118/8lb. In fact, at one time, Midway was running it on clearance for around $10/lb. If I had known about it then, I would have bought 50lbs!

yup gona have to give it a try. Thanks for the info guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've heard mention of the relative temp insensitivity of TAC, but not seen any specific data. Anyone have any actual experience with the powder is extreme temp swings? </div></div>

There were some temperature tests reported in the American Rifleman, a few months ago, where it was claimed that TAC showed "zero" temperature dependence over the tested range. I don't think this article is online, so I'd have to dig through my pile of old mags to find the issue.

Update to this: the issue is August 2009. The article is not as informative as could be since he does not quote standard deviations on the measured velocities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its really hard not to use this powder, especially considering its around $118/8lb. In fact, at one time, Midway was running it on clearance for around $10/lb. If I had known about it then, I would have bought 50lbs! </div></div>

Absolutely. On top of that, it meters like butter in my RCBS uniflow or Hornady LnL PM. It's also so versatile that I use is in .223, 6.8SPC, & .308.

That would be great if it isn't temp sensitive, as I can use this powder in the majority of guns I load for!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jason280</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That would be great if it isn't temp sensitive, as I can use this powder in the majority of guns I load for! </div></div>

All powders change with temperature. Some less than others.

My experience with TAC on this is: Last summer ambient ~100degF with ammo sitting out in the Sun. Bolt started getting a little stiff and then ended up blowing out a primer from the pocket. Admittedly the ammo was HOT to the touch but was surprised it was enough to blow a primer pocket out.

I still use TAC but make sure to keep the ammo covered.

Tried using TAC in my .308 just to incosistent, theres a reason why you cant find varget anywhere. The best that I found. Love Ramshots other powder Big Game shot very well out of my 6mm

First attempt with TAC in .308 (first attempt at loading 308 at all)

LOAD:
Federal case trimmed with Giraud trimmer to 2.06
CCI 200 primer
COAL 2.89 / OAL to ogive 3.162
41.0 gr TAC
Sierra 175 gr SMK
Loaded on Dillon 550
Avg vel (5rounds) 2457
ES 85.0
SD 28.8

RIFLE:
GA Precision Crusader
22" Broughton 1:11.25" twist barrel
Nightforce 3.5-15x MLR reticle

GENERAL:
Chronographed 10' from muzzle with CED M2
55 deg F / low humidity / 20' above sea level

[img:left]http://
3029xu0.jpg
[/img]

Not a bad 5 round group but I need to get the velocity up a bit and my ES and SD #'s down. Other than that TAC seems to work well in the .308....so far.

Yes.......5 rounds. My starting load of 40.5gr of TAC was about 1". As I push it faster I hope the groups don't open up too much.

I just ordered 8.lbs of Tac and gunna be loading 175 grain bullets. I'll probably have 42 grains behind them. Ramshot list 43.5 as max load, but their OAL isn't listed so max may change being that I'm loading to mag length in my AR10

Jason, send socket70 over on arfcom a message and ask him what his TAC load is. If I remember he made a FGMM clone using TAC for his 308 but I dont remember which bullet that was with.

Download the new Load Guide from Ramshot (edit. 4.3) They list a load for Tac for 175 SMK HPBT.

Their starting load is 39.2 and max is 43.5 seated at 2.800. Just my 2 cents worth.

CW