• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tacom structured barrel

Guan999

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2023
Mckinney
anyone have experience with Tacom Structured Barrel? what is special about this barrel? i am looking to buy a gun with this barrel but i have never heard of this before.

No direct experience, but there is at least one person who's had one here (do a search).

The physics of it is interesting and I think (IMO) confirmed to be accurate. The novel topology of the barrel is intended to significantly dampen the harmonics of the barrel, making load development pretty much just "find the velocity you want and go from there." I think FEA simulations have supported this, and barrel testing has provided ground truth to compare. And if it's accurate, then why doesn't everyone do it? It's big, expensive and traditional barrels are "good enough."

No direct experience, but there is at least one person who's had one here (do a search).

The physics of it is interesting and I think (IMO) confirmed to be accurate. The novel topology of the barrel is intended to significantly dampen the harmonics of the barrel, making load development pretty much just "find the velocity you want and go from there." I think FEA simulations have supported this, and barrel testing has provided ground truth to compare. And if it's accurate, then why doesn't everyone do it? It's big, expensive and traditional barrels are "good enough."
yea it is quite expensive sitting at 1000$ just for the basic option. that's why i am wondering if it is even worth it paying the extra couple hundred bucks vs a Krieger or Bartlein.

anyone have experience with Tacom Structured Barrel? what is special about this barrel? i am looking to buy a gun with this barrel but i have never heard of this before.
20 page thread here that John Baker from Tacom participated in:

20 page thread here that John Baker from Tacom participated in:

awesome! i'll read up on it

I know @Rio Precision Gunworks has used a few of these barrels for clients.

No idea if he's had a chance to shoot/test them or receive feedback on it.

Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only mentioned on one of their podcasts that they were going to test these barrels, but I haven't seen any information on the outcomes of such tests, if they even happened.

At best they’re as good as non-structured barrels. There’s no data to suggest they’re better or necessarily worse. I Wouldn’t pay more for a gun with one but wouldn’t stay because of it.

I know @Rio Precision Gunworks has used a few of these barrels for clients.

No idea if he's had a chance to shoot/test them or receive feedback on it.

Jacob Bynum at Rifles Only mentioned on one of their podcasts that they were going to test these barrels, but I haven't seen any information on the outcomes of such tests, if they even happened.

Haven't put enough rounds through them to say anything with much confidence. Thus far, nothing is jumping out screaming there's a significant advantage over regular barrels.

Reactions: R_A_W and kthomas
yea it is quite expensive sitting at 1000$ just for the basic option. that's why i am wondering if it is even worth it paying the extra couple hundred bucks vs a Krieger or Bartlein.
My structured barrel. Is a Kreiger. Then it is treated at tacom hq. They don’t make barrels at tacom. They just treat them