• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactial slings

CowboyBart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2007
North West WY
I'm looking for advice on a sling for an AR.
I want to carry it "cross-chest"
Muzzle down, shoulder stock near my shoulder pocket.
I would like to keep it close to my body while walking and be able to shoulder it w/o having to disconnect part of the sling.
Quiet connections would be a plus.
Strong enough for the weight of an LR

What do you recommend?? Brand, model and location to buy would be a big help.

Re: Tactial slings

Larue padded and Vtac padded. Both are about identical and both have quick adjust to go from snug to loose. Both are designed to wear how you describe, it's what you want and exactly how I hog hunt. They both offer a nice steady locked in feel when shouldering/firing the rifle when they are snug. Increases accuracy a lot. Would never go single point after using mine.

I run all mine with QD flush cups, quick and quiet.

The Troy padded is nice, use it the same way on my bolt gun 308 and 308 AR. It's better for heavy guns, has a section of heavy duty bungee built in and a nice shoulder pad. It's definitely not quick adjust and nowhere near as handy on a lighter gun.

I've got the vtac. I've also heard good things about the blue force gear sling.

To be honest, there isn't a sling that I have used yet that I haven't had to modify to my liking. The MagPul Tactical MAS sling is the one that I liked the most for my AR. It is easily adaptable for cross carry, low and high ready, strong and weak side carry, as well as basic carry.

The coolest thing about the MagPul Tactical, was that it went from a sliding 2 point connection, to a single point connection really quick. It allows for easy transition to shoot right or left handed pretty slick too. I would have to say that it is the most mission adaptable sling that I have used yet. But I still had to modify it a bit as well.

Very adaptable, strong enough for your long guns, and not real expensive. I highly recommend it.

DK

Check out the Echo93 DMS (Echo93.com). Its kinda a slick design.

I like the simple USGI sling the most. I've tried others but the different straps going here and there get caught up on every piece of equipment. The others were more comfortable but if you're going to run it with a chest rig or LBE anything but the GI sling is going to get caught on mag pouches gear adjustment buckles etc

I have to disagree with the last poster. The bottom mount GI sling has no utility beyond shoulder carrying your weapon in garrison. I think his issue may be with the 3 point slings that can interfere with vest/chest worn equipment. The modern two points (+1 to Blue Force Gear) won't hang up and offer utility well beyond other designs. One points are OK for some CQB applications but become less useful when used for long periods of time.

Oh, and please don't call the sling "Tactical", the violence commission will decide it is dangerous and legislate it out of production. I can't afford $300 slings. Sorry. Couldn't resist.

imho 550 cord woven slings directly tied to the weapon is preferable. no noise. always the same. no adjustments required.and in a pinch one can easily untie it and use the cord for a tactical g-string/banana hammock/butt floss. just sayin. FAL.

Based on your description you want a 2 point sling. I've used a wide variety of different types from 1 point, 2 point and 3 point and have found the Magpul MS2 to work best.

As previously mentioned, it can rapidly be changed between 1 point to 2 point and the tension adjustment is fast as well transferring from positions or whatever the needs are. Many people are also fans of the Vickers type slings, I've just found the MS2 to fit my needs better.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MS2-Multi-Mission-Sling-System-fde-p/mag501%20ms2%20fde.htm

SOE makes an adjustable 2 to 1 sling that works out quite well. It uses QDs on both ends with a metal slide that the front QD clicks into if you want to run it single point. It's identical in concept to the Magpul one but it doesn't have magpuls propritary hardware on it. I was using the Blue Force adjustable sling before I started using the SOE sling and found I liked how it worked for me after I got it adjusted. 100% made in the USA .

I have VTAC wide padded slings for all my ARs except the SPR. I've tried and liked everything about the Vickers slings except the 50-grit webbing, you better wear a collared shirt if you're gonna go that rout, otherwise its another good option IMHO.

I'm not a fan of the Magpul slings myself. I have no need (or desire for) converting to single-point and I find their CB material to be much too shiny.

I've also been hearing great things about a new design from ARES Armor ARES Husky Sling. I haven't tried one yet myself but I've talked to former VTAC fans who have converted all their ARs. It will probably be my next sling purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: plong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've also been hearing great things about a new design from ARES Armor ARES Husky Sling. </div></div>

In the second video on that page the QD slider that I mentioned is on the SOE sling can be seen. It's sold by the company that makes them for $19.99 direct if I recall and you can add them to any existing sling that uses a QD on the front part of the sling. The forward slider hardware on the husky sling seems to be the only thing that sets it apart from similar designs but it also appears to be bulky. I'd have to play with one before I could say if I liked it or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to disagree with the last poster. The bottom mount GI sling has no utility beyond shoulder carrying your weapon in garrison. I think his issue may be with the 3 point slings that can interfere with vest/chest worn equipment. The modern two points (+1 to Blue Force Gear) won't hang up and offer utility well beyond other designs. One points are OK for some CQB applications but become less useful when used for long periods of time. </div></div>

Never heard of a hasty sling huh.

Yes. I have heard of a hasty sling and am old enough to have been issued an old school GI strap sling. That being said, the OP was quite clear about what he wanted and (your preferences aside) the strap ain't gonna cut it. We can go all Apocalypse Now style and 550 a strap to our FSB and stock but is that really the best option here?

Just sayin...

VTAC Padded all the time unless you need the CQB performance of a single point.

That said, the convertible slings generally suck for doing things you do with a 2-point. Different tools for different jobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JB Gleason</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have to disagree with the last poster. The bottom mount GI sling has no utility beyond shoulder carrying your weapon in garrison. I think his issue may be with the 3 point slings that can interfere with vest/chest worn equipment. The modern two points (+1 to Blue Force Gear) won't hang up and offer utility well beyond other designs. One points are OK for some CQB applications but become less useful when used for long periods of time. </div></div>
I wasn't talking about the bottom mount. I was talking about the standard as issued with the M4 carbine. Loops into the top of the collapsible stock and into a sling swivel mounted to the barrel under the FSB

I hated the Magpul MS2. Love the MS3. Absolutely the best sling for anything I use a carbine for. I replaced all of my other slings with these. Except for bolt rifle of course! Then is it TIS all the way. For me at least.

Check out BDS Tactical Gear, they have a really great 2 and 1 point padded sling that comes in a variety of camo colors. The best thing I like it has a variety of elastic "S" folds that act like shock absorbers. I have one for my GAP Crusader, another for my Noveske, one for my FNH SLP MK1, and one for my GAP-10 that I am having built. The BDS slings are really well made.

Of all these mentioned, which don't require any adjustments to the sling when you want/have to switch to shooting weak side & back again, in a hurry?

I tried and liked the BFG VCAS sling for carbines, until I got them wet in the rain. They soaked up water and held onto it like a sponge. I found the EMDOM Gunslinger and one of those is now on each of my carbines. If you do an HK hook on the front, you get a convertible 2 to 1 point sling. They are extremely light, sturdy and don't soak up water. Check them out at:
http://www.skdtac.com/Emdom-E-MM-Gunslinger-Sling-p/e2m.101.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UNCIVILIZED</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of all these mentioned, which don't require any adjustments to the sling when you want/have to switch to shooting weak side & back again, in a hurry? </div></div>

I use the vtac and while you do have to let the slack out of the sling, it's so easy a caveman can do it. What I like is that I can cinch the sling down quickly for shooting with it or if I need to go hands free. Just utube vtac sling and you'll see what I mean.

A few years back my unit was training with Jerry Barnhart at his place and he had this prototype sling that to this day I have not seen another one like it. I asked him about it and after he showed it to us, I figured I'd see it on the market shortly. It was your typical 2 point sling but the neat part of it was that the way it was designed allowed the user to go hands free in what I call biathalon mode as well as secure it Down to the body tightly. It was a perfect looking set up for when you are climbing ladders, fast roping or rappelling and needed both hands and the ability to get to your weapon quickly once done/down. It also worked well as your typical 2 point sling would. Now that I think about it, I may bust out a few old slings and start trying to recreate it.

OK, so I bought the MagPul MS3. Being a bolt gun guy I have no idea what I need to attach this. It has a spring loaded clamp on one end and a round quick release on the other.
What parts do I need to buy, for my AR, that this sling attaches to??

Sounds like the MS2, not the MS3. MS3 has two alligator clamps, no quick release feature. You can run the magpul ASAP plate and magpul RSA to run single or two point.

I know you said you bought a sling already but I am a big fan of the Blue Force Gear VCAS. I prefer it over the VTAC because the adjustment pull does not get longer or shorter when being adjusted like the VTAC does. Blue Force Gear also sells a small burnsed loop that can be attached to the rear of the sling giving you the ability to convert it from a 2 point to a 1 point. It is hands down the best quality sling I have ever used.

It is an MS3 Quick Connect. Do I want to set this up to have the Quick Connect on the front or on the buttstock??

I'll look at the Blue Force for the LR-260, gotta get the carbines going first.

To me it seems the MS3 was designed to go with the RSA and the ASAP plate. This is the best setup for it.