• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tactical Mini 14 vs AR

Re: Tactical Mini 14 vs AR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter how many times it's stated, it falls on deaf ears.
New Mini-14's are NOT the same gun as the Mini's of old. Period.
Re-tooled production line. Heavier barrels.

It's not an AR, not supposed to be, never will be. It's a self-defense gun, truck gun, ranch gun.

Much more reliable than an AR, not as finicky about ammo and cleaning. Goes bang every time.

Why is it- that a Springer M1A, that costs more than twice as much, is no more accurate out of the box ( probably LESS so) than a Tactical or Target Mini, doesn't get the "can't hit the broad side of barn" haters?? </div></div>Because even the worst M1a out of the box has a much greater potenial of being something worth having.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No matter how many times it's stated, it falls on deaf ears.
New Mini-14's are NOT the same gun as the Mini's of old. Period.
Re-tooled production line. Heavier barrels.

It's not an AR, not supposed to be, never will be. It's a self-defense gun, truck gun, ranch gun.

Much more reliable than an AR, not as finicky about ammo and cleaning. Goes bang every time.

Why is it- that a Springer M1A, that costs more than twice as much, is no more accurate out of the box ( probably LESS so) than a Tactical or Target Mini, doesn't get the "can't hit the broad side of barn" haters?? </div></div>

Whoa down boy, take a deep breath and wipe the foam off of yer mouth. It ain't that people are deaf they just know that the AR will do anything the Mini will do but the reverse ain't true. There is probably some carry over from the fact that Billy Ruger would not trust the American public with a high cap mag. People just don't like the platform as much as the AR. As for the M1A coment. The target below is 600 yards. I could not do that with my Mini at 300 yards. I don't care what they changed on it. I'm not curious about the new models. It is still a Mini 14.
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.usimg]

MINI Vs. AR??? This is my first post on this forum, and I wonder why I started reading this topic, but here I am.

LOOK, I find myself defending Mini-14s even though I own three AR type rifles, and a SCAR 16s (17s is in the mail), and 2 late model 2009 Mini-14s. One is a SS Ranch that I had Accuracy Systems mod by shortening the barrel etc., and a Tactical model. Both have the newer, thicker tapered barrels.

I owned the older models and can tell you the newer rifles are better from an accuracy standpoint. BUT that is really not what the Mini-14 is really all about. It is a fast handling fun and easy to shoot rifle. AND I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCED THE PROBLEMS THAT OTHERS CLAIM TO HAVE HAD.

I use 20 round factory mags (I must have 20 of em, my Dad gave me when they were legal in CA). And decent, but cheap brass .223 AND 5.56 ammo.

Why do I own Minis when I can buy SCARs! Well LOL as you all know you can never have too many guns and ammo. No, really I like the Mini. It is not as cool, but would I trust it with my life? YES. It wouldn't be the first rifle I grabbed if it hit the the spinning wind making machine, but I trust it.

Finally, the beauty of the Mini is that it has a low profile and is small so I can keep it in my trunk and not worry about some ill-informed Officer freaking out at a traffic stop and taking me to jail for an "assault weapon".

Thanks for letting me vent on those who continue to take it out on Mr. Ruger for the assault weapons restriction. BTW it would have happened anyway, stop voting for liberals...

Cheers--

"Thanks for letting me vent on those who continue to take it out on Mr. Ruger for the assault weapons restriction. BTW it would have happened anyway, stop voting for liberals..."

Long before High Cap ban Ruger had a policy of not selling Hi caps to the public. The Mini 14 was out for quite a while as a Govt/Police only item before they sold to the public. If it floats your boat, have fun. If you want a serious rifle look else where. I like Ruger 22s. I own a 10/22 and a 77/22mag that I converted to a 17 HMR. Both are good guns. Oh yea +1 on the voting part.

Bought my stainless mini in '86'.

Always runs as long as I use Ruger mags which were always absurdly priced and hard to find until the last few years.

Having never run anything remotely resembling match ammo through it, and using open sights, I never expect better than 3-4 MOA which is far more accurate than my 870 or Mossberg 500 will hit, firing slugs at 100 yards. Maybe a tad less accurate than my 94s and 336 in .45 Colt, .30-30 and .35 Remington, respectively, will hit, also using their open sights.

Haven't priced the minis in years but at the time mine cost me $300.00 with an extra three 20 round mags and some ammo. Still less than half the cost of the available ARs of that time.

Mine isn't the ranch model so mounting glass over it is problematic. I did install a B-Square receiver mount on it but only to install red dot sight.

One day I may make it a priority to see just how inaccurate this rifle is by working up match hand loads and testing them. But I think it would be largely a waste of time as the reason I bought it was I needed a defense arm and felt it a better carbine option than a surplus M1 carbine or a lever action. And I did not have the clams for a Colt AR.

In any case, I'll be hanging on to mine and my ARs don't seem to mind its presence beside them in the safe!

My Mini-14 shot minute of basketball until I added an accustrut.

Now it shoots between 0.5 and 1 MOA. With irons. If someone calls bullshit, I can post the targets from last time at the range (friday).

Ordered some 75grs stuff for it and I'm gonna test it out at 400-500 yards as soon as I can, probably wont get the chanse before christmas though.

I have a mini-14 ranch synthetic that has gone bang everytime with the only exception being FTF the last round from my crappy stamped el cheapo mags. I couldn't afford to stock up on factory mags before the ban so I only have a few, plus several PMI's. I have rejuvinated a few with new mag bodies, so reliability is not and issue. I just got convinced to buy an accu-strut as mine also shoots about minute-of-basketball at 100 yards but I attributed some of that to shooting Wolf. Now that .223 has come down some I should test out some more premium ammo with an accu-strut, I have never read a testimonial saying it didn't do what it said it would.
That being said there is a company out there that customizes/accurizes MINI's with new barrels etc, I think the minimum package is $500 for a 1.5 MOA guarantee (or close to it) by then you're at LEAST $1K into a gun that has the accuracy of a $550 AR-15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KevinB-KAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
and the Mini-14 is about as wrong as two boys fucking...
</div></div>

Oh that's sig material there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just curious, how did you "just realize" that the mini 14 might be the best combat gun?!? How does one just come to that conclusion? </div></div>

I suspect there was an involvement of stairs and gravity......

Ok in all seriousness there's a couple points here I think were missed.....

1) anyone remember there is a select fire version of the Mini? I believe it was the AC556. Did any military EVER adopt that thing? I can't name one. That should be a sign right there.

2)There is one thing in the wood stock mini's favor.....it doesn't look so horrible to the ladies and gents of the jury. So, if it's reliable, it wouldn't be such a bad gun for home defense. I doubt anyone on here would have to make a shot longer than 25 yds in a home defense situation. A mini should be able to hold a 1" group at 25yds.

Agree that the mini is a ranch gun. In stainless it has real value here in the North Wet as a truck gun. My Stainless Tikka T-3 in 223 does that duty now. But wihtout the stainless option, I would not be interested.

I'd pay 3x the price of a Mini for a true stainless AR.

BMT

Fuck the haters:
http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/200203-AR-15_vs_Mini-14.pdf

If this test were done today with a new Mini tactical, it'd kick the AR's ass.

And- surprise, surprise...the AR burped. The Mini never fails to go bang- ever. For me, that's the MOST important aspect of a self-defense rifle.

"A good
friend of mine, who is a nationally
known firearms instructor, told me he
would take the Mini-14 over the AR
any day of the week even if the Mini-
14 was priced as high as the AR-15.
If you prefer the AR-15, fine. On
the other hand, if you like the Mini-14
better, you need not apologize to anyone. Both are fine, reliable rifles"

I could give a shit if it can shoot an itty bitty group at 100 yards. It's not a target rifle.

I love the "throw dirt insider your gun" tests. I seem to recall one where an AR with dirt in it still cycled while an AK did not. Ergo, the Mini cycled while the AR didn't so I guess Mini>AR>AK for reliability then?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck the haters:

And- surprise, surprise...the AR burped. The Mini never fails to go bang- ever. For me, that's the MOST important aspect of a self-defense rifle.

"A good

I could give a shit if it can shoot an itty bitty group at 100 yards. It's not a target rifle. </div></div>

They used a short barreled OLYMPIC ARMS AR15 instead of a quality rifle length barrel? Only 6" groups @ 100 yards and you think this test - FROM 2002 - is proof positive that the Mini is better? And that "burp" came from again, a short barreled rifle (5" extension doesn't count) with lower velocity reciprocating bolt due to the length of the gas system. Again, not proof positive of anything other than a poorly designed test with less than average shooters or a severely crappy AR15. 6" @ 100 yards? Really?

Again, I have 2 mini 14's, one is an Accuracy Systems Inc improved model with a 18" SS barrel and the other is a stock 181 series in a folding stock. They're FUN, but I would never, ever, EVER consider grabbing one of these rifles over an AR15 if I had to take one to war.

And with the ASI improverd Mini, it's only a 1.5" @ 100 yards gun. That's with the 3-9x40 Leupold on top of it. In contrast, my Colt A2 "sporter" preban with open sights is a sub MOA gun with ball ammo.

For me, a mini 14 will only be a toy, nothing more. With that said, I wouldn't turn down an AC556!

I think the OP watched the History channel when they showed the World's Best Battle Rifle countdown.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck the haters:

"A good

I could give a shit if it can shoot an itty bitty group at 100 yards. It's not a target rifle. </div></div>
I think his first comment fits the best pointed right at himself. I have met lots of trainers who knew nothing other than a 1911 and wouldn't teach anything other than with a 1911 and always spoke about how all the other guns are shit unless it’s a 1911. Problem with the guy is he never owned anything other than a 1911 so instead of saying there is better guns now made or not even so much better but a better fit for what you might need he threw everything into the shit box without having an educated response on much of anything. My guess is you have never owned an AR; you have never shot an AR through a course of 2,000 or more rounds in three days without malfunction. My guess is you may own an Mini 14 but most likely you own nothing semi auto because you are anal towards the black rifle. On top of that you are mad that everyone who knows how to shoot can get there ARs under 1MOA or better at 100 yards and you have trouble getting that with a bolt gun. I have shot and owned both, I don;t own anymore minis due to the fact that they are 60% rifle with 40% shitty parts. I have had more issues with the stupid minis than any AR I have ever owned or built. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree that the mini is a ranch gun. In stainless it has real value here in the North Wet as a truck gun. My Stainless Tikka T-3 in 223 does that duty now. But wihtout the stainless option, I would not be interested.

BMT</div></div>

On our ranch in WY, a Mini is worthless. Not accurate enough for the plains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRI</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bmt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agree that the mini is a ranch gun. In stainless it has real value here in the North Wet as a truck gun. My Stainless Tikka T-3 in 223 does that duty now. But wihtout the stainless option, I would not be interested.

BMT</div></div>

On our ranch in WY, a Mini is worthless. Not accurate enough for the plains. </div></div>

above statement means the mini = not even useful for many ranches. Sad. Hmm, a little weight in the stock and it could make a half decent club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck the haters:

"A good

I think his first comment fits the best pointed right at himself. I have met lots of trainers who knew nothing other than a 1911 and wouldn't teach anything other than with a 1911 and always spoke about how all the other guns are shit unless it’s a 1911. Problem with the guy is he never owned anything other than a 1911 so instead of saying there is better guns now made or not even so much better but a better fit for what you might need he threw everything into the shit box without having an educated response on much of anything. My guess is you have never owned an AR; you have never shot an AR through a course of 2,000 or more rounds in three days without malfunction. My guess is you may own an Mini 14 but most likely you own nothing semi auto because you are anal towards the black rifle. On top of that you are mad that everyone who knows how to shoot can get there ARs under 1MOA or better at 100 yards and you have trouble getting that with a bolt gun. I have shot and owned both, I don;t own anymore minis due to the fact that they are 60% rifle with 40% shitty parts. I have had more issues with the stupid minis than any AR I have ever owned or built. JMHO </div></div>

I have never owned an AR.
But, I am planning a build now (AR-10, .308). I am very much looking forward to owning one.

If you actually read my posts, I don't "bash" or trash AR's. I state only what I know as fact, which does not rely on ownership to qualify for an opinion. It is a fact, that the AR uses a gas impingement system that exposes the guts of the rifle to hot exhaust gases and "trash", and this alone requires more cleaning,less reliability and the extreme heat causes accelerated wear on the parts exposed to it. That's just plain physics. The Garand action is completely different, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with knowledge of an M1, M-1A, or M-14 say the system is less reliable than an AR.

Yes, I do own a Mini. An old 188 series that I pulled outta the safe after twenty years to see what I could do with it. Some simple mods, done myself, and it shoots CONSISTENT 1.5 MOA , five shot groups with 69 gr. MK's over 25 grains of Varget. That's plenty accurate enough for a self-defense gun for me.

On this board, there seems to be only one criteria for a rifle worth owning- and that's it's ability to put five bullets in one hole at 100 yards. I'm saying that's irrelevant for a self defense, truck gun- which is what the Mini is, Ruger had never marketed it nor represented it as anything else.

I do <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> agree with the OP's initial assessment. The Mini is not a battle rifle. It's a damn fine, reliable ranch gun, truck gun, self-defense gun. It's not an AR, and as I've said many times on this thread and others, I just wish the Mini could be looked upon as what it is, and not be constantly compared with an AR, which it is not. They have the same caliber in common, both are autoloading rifles, and that's the extent of the similarities.

As the writer of that article wrote, both are fine rifles. My next one is going to be an AR.

If anyone doubts the 1.5 MOA accuracy I'm representing, I'm willing to put my $$ where my mouth is, all we need is an impartial "umpire" in the Tampa area to witness the shoot.

These guns should probably not be compared as much as they are. They are vary different tools for slightly different purposes. For some people, their AR is used as a medium range gun and some SASS are able to shoot sub minute past 500 yards - I doubt if any Mini could do that. So the AR is more versatile an can fill more functions. As far as reliability, I think the AR gets wrongly maligned. Too many of my friends and I have shot thousands of reliable rounds to say the gun is unreliable. Maybe the Mini is a little more dependable, but I am sure that there are plenty of jerks who could get it to jam. At CQB range both guns become more competitive. But the AR can hold more rounds. But the Mini costs less. Screw it, just give me my AR - keep your Mini.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fuck the haters:

"A good

I think his first comment fits the best pointed right at himself. I have met lots of trainers who knew nothing other than a 1911 and wouldn't teach anything other than with a 1911 and always spoke about how all the other guns are shit unless it’s a 1911. Problem with the guy is he never owned anything other than a 1911 so instead of saying there is better guns now made or not even so much better but a better fit for what you might need he threw everything into the shit box without having an educated response on much of anything. My guess is you have never owned an AR; you have never shot an AR through a course of 2,000 or more rounds in three days without malfunction. My guess is you may own an Mini 14 but most likely you own nothing semi auto because you are anal towards the black rifle. On top of that you are mad that everyone who knows how to shoot can get there ARs under 1MOA or better at 100 yards and you have trouble getting that with a bolt gun. I have shot and owned both, I don;t own anymore minis due to the fact that they are 60% rifle with 40% shitty parts. I have had more issues with the stupid minis than any AR I have ever owned or built. JMHO </div></div>

I have never owned an AR.
But, I am planning a build now (AR-10, .308). I am very much looking forward to owning one.

If you actually read my posts, I don't "bash" or trash AR's. I state only what I know as fact, which does not rely on ownership to qualify for an opinion. It is a fact, that the AR uses a gas impingement system that exposes the guts of the rifle to hot exhaust gases and "trash", and this alone requires more cleaning,less reliability and the extreme heat causes accelerated wear on the parts exposed to it. That's just plain physics. The Garand action is completely different, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with knowledge of an M1, M-1A, or M-14 say the system is less reliable than an AR.

Yes, I do own a Mini. An old 188 series that I pulled outta the safe after twenty years to see what I could do with it. Some simple mods, done myself, and it shoots CONSISTENT 1.5 MOA , five shot groups with 69 gr. MK's over 25 grains of Varget. That's plenty accurate enough for a self-defense gun for me.

On this board, there seems to be only one criteria for a rifle worth owning- and that's it's ability to put five bullets in one hole at 100 yards. I'm saying that's irrelevant for a self defense, truck gun- which is what the Mini is, Ruger had never marketed it nor represented it as anything else.

I do <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> agree with the OP's initial assessment. The Mini is not a battle rifle. It's a damn fine, reliable ranch gun, truck gun, self-defense gun. It's not an AR, and as I've said many times on this thread and others, I just wish the Mini could be looked upon as what it is, and not be constantly compared with an AR, which it is not. They have the same caliber in common, both are autoloading rifles, and that's the extent of the similarities.

As the writer of that article wrote, both are fine rifles. My next one is going to be an AR.

If anyone doubts the 1.5 MOA accuracy I'm representing, I'm willing to put my $$ where my mouth is, all we need is an impartial "umpire" in the Tampa area to witness the shoot. </div></div>

Here we go again about the DI system being unreliable if not clean. <span style="font-weight: bold">IT IS NOT A FACT</span>. It is an internet legend put up by people who don't know how to properly lubricate their ARs. You have never even owned an AR and you know the BS you're spouting off to be "fact?" Seriously?

I've had ARs that have gone more than 5000 rounds without a cleaning but run perfectly fine simply because I keep it properly lubricated. Don't go spouting off stuff you've read off the internet as "fact" when you don't even have the experience to back up those claims.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
On this board, there seems to be only one criteria for a rifle worth owning- and that's it's ability to put five bullets in one hole at 100 yards. </div></div>

That's why it's called Snipershide.com. I don't mean to bust your balls or anything, but don't come to a Soccer match and complain that nobody talks about Football or Baseball.

"It is a fact, that the AR uses a gas impingement system that exposes the guts of the rifle to hot exhaust gases and "trash", and this alone requires more cleaning,less reliability and the extreme heat causes accelerated wear on the parts exposed to it."

No, not really. The "shits where it eats" mantra is just a one-liner that retards spout off whenever "one of those plastic guns" is the topic of conversation. I clean mine every ~200 rounds, yeah there's some carbon buildup but not enough to trip it up. Heat accelerates wear? I have one 223 with ~2k rounds through it & a 308 with 1k, the receivers don't show any wear that I can tell other than the feedramps and inside of the magwell from bullets going into the chamber and mags going in and out.

I'm not disagreeing with the other things you've said, just that after you've owned a few AR's you'll wonder why you ever bought a mini in the first place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AustinCQC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't mean to bust your balls or anything, but don't come to a Soccer match and complain that nobody speaks english.
</div></div>
Fixed it for you
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wannashootit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On this board, there seems to be only one criteria for a rifle worth owning- and that's it's ability to put five bullets in one hole at 100 yards. </div></div>

To come onto this forum, expousing the accuracy "virtues" of the mini (or any other virtues other than the ability to go "bang"), is laughable. You do understand that the primary focus of this site involves discussion of the art/science involved in precision/long range shooting?! Well hell YES, the vast majority of the membership of this forum strive for the best possible accuracy from their rifles under a wide variety of conditions and at varying ranges including extremely long ranges. That includes striving for the "ability to put five bullets in one hole at 100 yards" if you chose to put it that way...BUT the equation doesn't begin or end there and it is ignorant to think that kind of accuracy is the "only" criteria for what most members here consider in a "rifle worth owning."

Townsend Whelen said it best when he stated: "Only accurate rifles are interesting." If you live by Whelen's words...even at your claimed consistant 1.5MOA...that puts the mini in an uninteresting category at least to the vast majority of the members here, regardless of how you classify, categorize or otherwise chose to compare/contrast it to other rifles/carbines!

If you are happy with your mini...good for you. Keep it and keep shooting it as your needs/desires dictate. I hope it continues to serve you well. But, if you want to continue blowing sunshine up the mini-14's magwell, maybe you'd be better served by the PU folks: www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-talk/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wannashootit said:
But, if you want to continue blowing sunshine up the mini-14's magwell, maybe you'd be better served by the PU folks: www.perfectunion.com/vb/ruger-mini-14-talk/ </div></div>

I sense a need for crash helmets on that forum.