• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Tactical rifle as primary hunting rifle?

Northman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2005
Anybody of you using you tactical rifle as your primary hunting rifle?

I have primary hunting rifle in 30-06 weighing 8lbs, but Im considering building a 308 using either a McMillan Sako Varmint or A-5.

Im just considering the weight issue. It will weigh around 11-12lbs with everything. Im just wondering if you guys have heavier rifles used both for hunting and tac shooting, and do you have any thoughts on using such a heavy rifle for hunting.

Re: Tactical rifle as primary hunting rifle?

i only have one rifle so it does duty for everything.

I did for awhile, but I'm not as young as I once was so now I carry a Winchester Featherweight as my primary hunting rifle.

it's WAY too easy to get a very reliable, accurate, lightweight rifle these days ... NO reason to lug a heavy SOB around ...

I'm gonna try it this year. I spent way too much putting a new rifle together to just shoot at paper. I ended up selling my lightweight hunting rifles to fund this project. I might end up hating it for hunting, but I'm going to give it a go anyways

I bought an Eberlestock Gunslinger to tote in, so we will see.

Some heretics might suggest that even for real tactical work (typically a very few shots to eliminate a criminal) there is no need for a tons of fun rifle. (I'm not talking about long range military sniping). I've often wondered why the cops lug around 10 pound rifles with huge scopes for the typical 20-70 yard law enforcement shot. Seems like the same rig that puts the deer in the freezer would work fine. Something like a Remington 750 in 308 with a 1.5-5 Leupold and an extended magazine.
As Savage once said:"10 shots quick!"

i hunt w/ mine and its heavy. I'm plobably not the fastest rabbit in the bush but i get around. Maybe it keeps me slow and quiet. Like the dude above, i only have one rifle. maybe if my wifes scopes out her AR I might borrow it sometime, but i like mine.

Well there's something to be said about that saying,.....

"Beware of the man who only owns one gun, he probably knows how to use it"

I humped my Sendero around western Montana last fall, nearly 20 miles per day. It can be done, and I was glad I had it when I was pulling the trigger on a nice bull at nearly 700 yards. The day I forgot my sling hurt like a mother though.

It almost completely depends on where you are. I've packed light and heavy in hunting territory, as many here have. If you're not having to haul it around long distances or up hills the weight won't matter. If you're in the mountains and having to keep up with someone in super shape, you're not going to want a heavy rifle, period, unless you are in better shape than they are. Been down that trail myself. Even on a day hike into a hunting honey hole, 12# rifle + bipod + binos/spotting scope + jacket + water + food + backpack + heavy boots gets to be a bit of weight.

As Highground stated, the Eberlestock Gunslinger is handy to carry heavy rifles in, and can keep your shit out of the weather should it turn nasty, but they add weight as well (but damn I love mine, and will be hunting with it again this year).

I think it depends on the type of hutning you envision.

Some scenarios call for sit up high and wait, in open country, this is where the tacical rifles shine.

humping through thick brush with a 14 pound tactical rifle will make you re-think your eqiupment very quickly.

They go bang and put a hole in things just like any other rifle.

I have taken my heavy tactical rifle out for a few days of hunting on many occasions. All of those trips have all been enjoyable to me, except if I am out of shape. If you are in top condition it is not too bad.

The other day I looked into my safe and I had a hard time deciding what rifle to take for a coyote hunt. Some of us are blessed with a choice of weapons to choose from. I can chose from semi-auto light to semi-auto heavy, bolt action light to heavy.

I prefer to go heavy as a means of conditioning. Use what you have and be thankful, even if it’s heavy if you lug it around all the time it will help to keep you in shape.

alexander66

My 700P is my primary hunting rifle. Above all, I am confident with what it can do, accuracy wise. I am also comfortable with quick reference for shot distances that is gained by lots of trigger time. You see some guys putting a few of rounds through their deer guns at the range prior to gun season, but as a hunting mentor of mine says, "Shooting paper is nothing like shooting in the woods." Making sure that you can shoot a heavier than off the shelf rifle standing unsupported or in the variance of shooting positions is the biggest key. A bench rifle can be a one-hole'r at the range, but shooting it standing in the open could be a challenge.

If your tacticool rifle weighs so much more than your hunting rifle, maybe it weighs too much?

+1, if you have a rifle that wont give you a hernia you might be able to get closer than 700 yards. What animal is better at being alert than an Antelope? I killed my last one at 81 yards with a 1950s Savage 99R in 300 Savage and a 1.5X scope, The one before that at 65 yards (offhand) with a 1952 Remington 721 300 H&H with a 1.5-5 Balvar scope. I like to "hunt", it's a lot more rewarding than substituting technology for getting in close.
My next project: the "po-boy TAC rifle" will be an XLS in 270, Burris 30mm 3-9 TAC w/BDC in talley one piece with versapod. Betcha I can kill a bad guy just as far in a real world tactical situation as a 14 pound 308 while lugging 6 pounds less.

pop_wm_1143956.jpg

FFII_tactical2_04.jpg

150-050.jpg

Tactical hunter.

mod 7 300wsm, micky edge, 20" fluted mag countour, Swaro with TDS( sold the PMII ), comes in at 6.75, we can call that tactilight, I have those that shoot better but this lady is dream to handle all day, short,sexy and to the point.

Greg:

Barreld action: 6 lbs ( 7-8 contour, fluted )
McMillan stock: 2 lbs ( sako varmint )
S&B 3-12x50 PM: 2 lbs
Badger floorplate: 1-2 lbs
Rings and base: 1 lbs

So.. diffiult to get a lighter tactical rifle. Edge, and a lesser scope could help.

Above is why exactly why I went edge and Swaro, sold Micky and PMII, stayed with fact floorplate, xtr rings, egw base.

Ive always lugged a heavy rifle around while hunting, and it's never been a big deal. I even packed my HK around one season, and that thing is a beast. I guess it's just the excitement of being on the hunt that kept me from noticing the extra weight.

Although I have to admit I've been entertaining the thought of buying a lighter/shorter rifle for steep/brushy country now that I'm getting older and my clothes are shrinking.

-Pat

I drive close to my area to hunt, and walk in maybe 200-300 yards. So, I have hunted with my comp guns the last 2 years. If I walk a lot, then the sporter weight 270 gets to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRRahHX9Zkg

Sometimes you just have to use what you have but rifles like many other tools can be a situation where even minor differences really matter. How you hunt makes a difference - a guy who sits in a tree stand or box blind that he drives an ATV to can hunt with a heavy rifle. A guy having to walk up and down the Rocky Mountains isnt going to enjoy a heavy rifle. A guy hunting brush or heavy woods is better served with a short lighter rifle. A guy who hunts in bear country and rings the dinner bell by shooting may wish he had more gun than a .308 because a confrontation with a hungry bear can get ugly real quick. The all around hunting rifle is not typically a heavy barrel rifle and stainless is an advantage. Similarly tactical knobs on a scope can really work against you in the brush where a fixed power Leupold FX3 6x42 longrange duplex might keep you from screwing with the knobs when you should be shooting.

You suggest a FIXED 6X scope? With no knobs to turn? A Leupold?
While I TOTALLY agree, (I still have a 6X M8 I use on several rifles) I would not say that on OT or you'll be in deep dodo.

One of the best rifles I have got sold to me because the previous owner decided that he didn't want to try going up and down the hills around here with it for a second year. He decided that 12 pounds was a little much for a deer rifle. I agree but since I don't intend to hunt deer with it just longer shoots at the pdog towns. It should work just fine for that.

The reason I started this thread was because of this is a site for marksmen.. now the real ones, have to drag a 16 lbs rifle around for miles and miles.. ( I do belive George Gardner of GAP made a lightweight modell, just to show what could be done to lighten it)

Now one could make it lighter, 12 lbs in my case. So, are you guys just using your tactical rifle just for fun an competition, and not for "everyday chores"?

I guess my feeling is, you should train with your main rifle, and use it for hunting.

So, if you shoot 2000 rounds a year in your tac-rifle, and 20-30 rounds with your 270, 30-06, 7 mag etc etc.. why shouldnt you use your tactical rifle for hunting?

FWIW, I'm having a heavy barreled .30-06 built that will probably end up weighing about 15lbs total weight...I plan on using that to hunt up here in alaska. Most guys don't carry heavy rifles, especially sheep hunting where weight is a HUGE concern when you're packing gear for a week or more. I just want to know my rifle really well...know how it will perform under various conditions, it's capabilities and limitations as well as my capabilities and limitations. So it'll be my paper puncher, plinker and hunting rifle.

it's a personal thing, I like to stay fit and someone else mentioned conditioning...but like I said it's a personal thing. I also bought an eberlestock skycrane to carry it around with my pack load. we'll see how it does. as far as off hand shooting...hehe, I better hit the weights!

I plan on hunting this fall with my remington 700, it's right around 12.5 lbs, but I can loose the butt pouch, bipod, and toss a lighter sling on it and shave a little bit of heft... If I get wimpy I can always borrow the wifes 270, its light.
wink.gif

I guess no one has explained why any rifle that will shoot 1 MOA or less, that weighs
7-8 pounds all up is inadequate for the ethical hunter?
But if you want to lug a 14 pound rifle that's up to you. Try it here (10,000') after coming from the flatlands, without a month of aclimation, and we'll be medevacing you out.

circ.jpg

LOL...

What is that placed call mr.h?

buy/build the rifle you want and practice.
light or heavy you can take it anywhere. Why, cause if you practice enough you'll have confidence. That is 90% of the battle.
Once conditioned and dedicated you can take it anywhere.

Those who dedicate themselves, practice, do things on their own. Can actually accomplish remarkable things.

I've carried a variety of rifles all over 10+ lbs for the last 12 years. Conditioning will win in the end.

Well YOU ARE the big outfitter FROM Wyoming and you don't know?

As to carrying, I hear the jeep did the carrying........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if you shoot 2000 rounds a year in your tac-rifle, and 20-30 rounds with your 270, 30-06, 7 mag etc etc.. why shouldnt you use your tactical rifle for hunting? </div></div>
I do shot a lot more with my comp guns, but I do put a lot of rounds down range in my hunting rifles, as well. I'll take my Howa 1500 270 Win to 500-600 yards without a problem. You don't have to have a heavy boat anchor to carry around to be accurate. If you can get the first round on target, then you're set. Light weight rifles (barrels) heat up faster after several rounds, and tend to walk around on you more.

That's what I thought. You don't know...

I had a mule named Jeep and as a matter of fact he did pack a rifle or 2.

He's the third form the back with the white mannie. I know, I know, what's a mannie?

You know how to pack and tie a hitch right? Errr what's a hitch? LOL.... poser.

Colter%204-6%20Months%20057.jpg

I have a Sako Finnlight 30-06 that I use for hunting. It weighs around 8lbs fully loaded w/ 5 rounds & 4x optic.

Then about 15 years ago I trained with some Army Snipers from Norway. EVERY ONE of them hunted with their TRG-22 or TRG-42. It shows in their marksmanship.

I started using my tac rifle even when not on the clock, taking it with me in the field more.

Going 3-5 days on foot really helps you shake out your gear . . . figure out what you really need and what you don't need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A famous instructor once said that the most dangerous man in the world is the man who only carries one gun: he shoots it all of the time and he knows how to use it...</div></div>

Not really. the quickest reload is a second gun....

I built a 6.5 Grendel AR to be my hunting rifle. I have an Eo-Tech on it since I wont ever use it beyond 300 yards. It weighs 7.5 pounds, is easy to carry, and the 6.5 packs enough punch for anything around here.

I also carry the FN 5.7 as a backup

Simple: there are lots of both of those critters in TX, especially the closer to the border you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: riverguide</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A famous instructor once said that the most dangerous man in the world is the man who only carries one gun: he shoots it all of the time and he knows how to use it... </div></div>

On the other side of that coin.....Beware of the Man with one gun...he might not know enough about it to even be safe with it.
grin.gif
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+2 on that, S&W 629 .44, marlin 1895 45/70

my combo for stuff that "bites back" </div></div>

I know of no problems in the world with living creatures that can't be cured with the 45/70; I love my Guide Gun.

Did you know that Marlin stopped porting the barrels because they've had a lot of complaints about people suffering serious hearing loss after using them ?

In fairness to Super Bee, we don't have bad snakes or hoards of illegals storming the border, but we do have large furry things with teeth, claws or both. At least the 300 gr hardcasts in the 329 are apt to give me a better chance than fingernails.

"big iron on his hip"

bigironcopy1.jpg

Sweet Jesus. Way to fucking yank and crank on that horse...
And you say I'm hard on them... you freaking wanna be posing idiot.

There are so many thing wrong with what you are doing in that picture I don't even know where to begin... One can only hope you get tossed and taught a lesson.

I'll leave it at that..

It seems silly to carry a 13 pound target rifle into the woods 3/4 of a mile, but I know where that rifle hits at any distance out to 300yards. I put the time into testing, firing, loading for that rifle - I'm using it. I don't care what it weighs.

Empty scabbard too. Must be just walking to pony around the yard.