• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tactical Scope With Best Glass For $2000?

EasternNChunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2012
Eastern NC
I used to have a Swarovski 4x12x50 ($1000) scope. I sold it when I bought my Nightforce NXS and was dissapointed with the glass in the Nightforce. For low light hunting, the Swarovski was the better, brighter scope. I wish I could afford a Zeiss Hensoldt but they are $3500. I want a scope with magnification in the 5-20x50 - 6-24x56 range with nice European glass. MOA or MIL knobs. Any suggestions?

Is the ATACR's glass really that much better than the NXS? I am NOT impressed with the glass in my Nightforce.

I have the atacr and the nxs and the atacr has much nicer glass in all conditions. If u could swing another 300 bucks u can't go wrong with this scope if second focal is not problem.

Based on your requirements for the price, magnification level, and clearest glass available.... I would say the Razor HD would fit your bill. I would honestly just save up a little more tho and try to snag a Used Kahles or Steiner. If your at and willing to enter the 2k price range, why not just go all out?

Are you military? The 34mm Leupolds will fit the bill, check out the glass on them, they will compare favorably to the european glass. If you can utilize the mil purchase program it is the best deal going.

IOR runs schott glass, non better

Razor is pert nice also, huge amount of travel and no fuss lifetime warranty

Are you military? The 34mm Leupolds will fit the bill, check out the glass on them, they will compare favorably to the european glass. If you can utilize the mil purchase program it is the best deal going.

I have one of the leupold mk6 scopes and they are really a big step up from the mk4 line. I have been really impressed. I also have a Razor HD and it is a really good scope. The bushnell is going to be competitive in the low light performance dept but does not have an illuminated reticle.

Holy... Leupold does a huge discount on tactical scopes for active military?! I wonder if that includes the Mark 6 and Mark 8.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Last edited:
Holy... Leupold does a huge discount on tactical scopes for active military?! I wonder if that includes the Mark 6 and Mark 8.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Yes it does. Applies to everything they offer.

Meh... it's off their MSRP. :p Can probably get the same price from one of our hide vendors. :p

Based on your requirements for the price, magnification level, and clearest glass available.... I would say the Razor HD would fit your bill. I would honestly just save up a little more tho and try to snag a Used Kahles or Steiner. If your at and willing to enter the 2k price range, why not just go all out?

I was in your exact shoes (wanted best at $2k or less) and bought the Razor HD as indicated in the previous post. I've been very happy with the choice and am even thinking of buying another. I even lucked into a great-condition used one and saved money.

Last edited:
Not much compares to the German glass, if you don't like the NXS you may not like the Razor HD either. As others stated might just want to save a little more and step up to something you know you will like.

Thanks for the help guys. Now I need to decide between the IOR and ATACR. I have never had a FFP scope (IOR) so I don't really know how much weight to give that. I really like everything about my NF NXS except for the glass, but after reading all of the reviews stating how much better the glass is in the ATACR, I feel like that is the safe bet. I don't know much about the IOR and have never even seen one.

Low-light performance

This scope has piqued my interest from the low-light masters at Meopta:

Meopta Optics - CameraLand NY

Haven't heard much about them yet but I'm predicting Ridiculous low-light performance and clarity for the price.
Another cheaper scope to not forget about for lowlight performance as per the OP, is the:

Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope

Though I doubt either one of these will match the ATACR in any conditions, They are a cheaper alternative and I bet they bridge the gap pretty well as twilight approaches....But just a guess. If funds allow, the ATACR looks really hard to beat.

While not European, the bushnell ers 3.5-21 or XRS 4.5-30 are great scopes. I also have a mk6 1-6 and mk8 1.1-8. Leupold's new scopes are leaps ahead of the mk4 series IMO. I am not sure what you can get a mk6 3-18 for but they are outstanding.The hide has a lot of good vendors. I recently bought from cs tactical, great experience.

It's not about the glass.

If it was, then my coffee maker, which has Schott glass, would be highly sought-after as a scope lens.

It's not about just the glass or who makes it. It's about the coatings on the glass, its clarity, etc. i don't care who makes the glass so long as its clarity meets my needs.
Glass clarity is seconded only by the reliability, accuracy, and repeatability of the erectors, parallax, etc. Once you get into the $1500+ price range, the reliable mechanics of the scope should be a given. If i could get the most precise, reliable, mechanics in a scope for $300 but with glass similar to what you would find in a BSA scope, I'd go ahead and pass.
So yes, when it comes to $1500 and up scopes it is about the glass, really. For me anyway.

Haven't heard much about them yet but I'm predicting Ridiculous low-light performance and clarity for the price.
Another cheaper scope to not forget about for lowlight performance as per the OP, is the:

Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope

Though I doubt either one of these will match the ATACR in any conditions, They are a cheaper alternative and I bet they bridge the gap pretty well as twilight approaches....But just a guess. If funds allow, the ATACR looks really hard to beat.[/QUOTE]

I had the Trijicon, not bad but not great. Tracks like a dream, color, clairty and light are better than a lot of Leupolds, but not great.

I still have the 2.5-10x56, it's going on my 375 Ruger. Beyond that I probably won't own another Trijicon.

none of the scopes ur talking about have better glass than nightforce for the money. If ur nightforce glass is off or not clear I'd send it back to get looked at. You are moving from a tier 2 scope down to a tier 3 -4 scope which makes no sense to me. U should be able to see well at 1k yards easy with that nightforce if u can't there's a problem w it

Night eagle. No relation to night force lol

I like the Vortex Razor HD. Very clear, easy to use reticle, choice of MOA/MIL turrest, zero stop. It's a little on the heavy side though.