• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Taking the scope on and off with same zero???

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I need some advice and wisdom from the experts or anyone that knows the answers.

I have my scope on a picitinny rail and am wondering if I get it all sighted in and ready to go what happens if I take the scope off the base and put it back on. Will it still group where it was grouping? Also is there anything in paticualr I need to do when putting it back on in order to make sure it does group where it is supposed to? Thanks guys, a background of my set up is as follows.

Rem 700 badger 20 MOA base
Badger rings
Luppy Mark 4

Re: Talking the scope on and off with same zero???

you need to put it in the exact same spot and have the exact same torque on the rings to base screws

Get a Larue Quick Detach mount if you know you will be taking the scope off and on often.

I have spoken as nicely as I can and my scope still won't get off the rifle, let alone get back on. One day it will listen.
laugh.gif

Always set it in place, slide the scope towards the muzzle.
Keep forward pressure on it, towards the muzzle, while tightening the rings.

Re: Taking the scope on and off with same zero???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some advice and wisdom from the experts or anyone that knows the answers.

I have my scope on a picitinny rail and am wondering if I get it all sighted in and ready to go what happens if I take the scope off the base and put it back on. Will it still group where it was grouping? Also is there anything in paticualr I need to do when putting it back on in order to make sure it does group where it is supposed to? Thanks guys, a background of my set up is as follows.

Rem 700 badger 20 MOA base
Badger rings
Luppy Mark 4
</div></div>

Check your torque settings prior to pulling the scope.

Then pull it.

Click your heels 3 times, say "Home, Home, Home!"

Put it back on with the same settings.

Should be pretty damn close.

Worst case scenario you'll have to re-zero.

Cheers,

Doc

In short most of the time it will not be exactly in the same place after removing it and putting it back on, but will be very close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In short most of the time it will not be exactly in the same place after removing it and putting it back on, but will be very close.</div></div>

+1 Trust but verify

Well in general, it will be a bit off when you take it off and remount it, provided that you have the same position and torques.

For me, I was fortunate enough to have an AIAW. I have repeated the test on several occasions to see if AI was bluffing. Guess what. It's dead on.

OK great. I have a possible Alaska trip ahead of me and was thinking about taking one gun with two scopes. One for long range shooting 8.5-25x50 and one for up close and personal Kodiak bear relations 2.5-8x36. Thanks again guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK great. I have a possible Alaska trip ahead of me and was thinking about taking one gun with two scopes. One for long range shooting 8.5-25x50 and one for up close and personal Kodiak bear relations 2.5-8x36. Thanks again guys. </div></div>

Um what are you going to do ask the bear to stand still and not move while you are changing scopes?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK great. I have a possible Alaska trip ahead of me and was thinking about taking one gun with two scopes. One for long range shooting 8.5-25x50 and one for up close and personal Kodiak bear relations 2.5-8x36. Thanks again guys. </div></div>

More intel on your Ak trip please?

Drop a PM if you need anything.

2.5-8 will serve you well for Alaska.

?????????
Sell them both and get a 4-14 power scope and leave it on all the time....

Get Larue mounts. They work, and they just started making a nice low set of rings just for the boltgun crowd. Not on the site yet, so call 'em.

I would change the scope prior to going out in the field. For example one day I might fly up to do a elk or caribou hunt on the tundra with some potential long range shots and the next day I might be in the brush and thick trees with that darn bear.(or moose) I think the larue mount would work great I will check it out.