• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Talk me out of (or maybe into) buying a SIG DMR 6.5 Creedmoor

jab00

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2017
I need you guys to talk me out of (or perhaps into) buying a 6.5 Creedmoor 716 DMR.

I’ve been circling around this gun for awhile but not certain that it’s really worth the price and I'm starting to think that I'd be better off buying a factory 6.5 CM upper and just slap that onto my lower and call it good. I've thought about building an upper from scratch but I think that I want to take the lazy route this time. So should I:

A) bite the bullet and buy the 716 6.5?
B) save some cash and buy a factory upper? If so, which ones should I be looking at?

I would buy the rifle especially if you go 6.5.
That way you won’t be guessing at any problems you have or may have with the rifle. Uppers/lowers don’t match up like the milspec at-15’s. Foreends come in different heights and then the gas/buffer issues you may have.
It can be done and it isn’t super hard but it’s definable frustrating.
Read a few threads about problems with builds or replacing parts on 6.5. You will see what I mean.
I bought a whole rifle and upgraded my parts and it was very frustrating.
I’m no pro or gunsmith so that’s how it was for me at least.
Good luck

Reactions: jab00
I would buy the rifle especially if you go 6.5.
That way you won’t be guessing at any problems you have or may have with the rifle. Uppers/lowers don’t match up like the milspec at-15’s. Foreends come in different heights and then the gas/buffer issues you may have.
It can be done and it isn’t super hard but it’s definable frustrating.
Read a few threads about problems with builds or replacing parts on 6.5. You will see what I mean.
I bought a whole rifle and upgraded my parts and it was very frustrating.
I’m no pro or gunsmith so that’s how it was for me at least.
Good luck

Yeah - I'll be honest up front and say that the one thing that is pushing me to buying the 716 is that I really don't have the patience to chase parts in order to make the upper work. As far as factory uppers, I was leaning towards Aero Precision since I build my lower on one of their receivers, so I figured that the two would play nice with each other

I think the sig is a bad ass rifle and probably be really good.
Upgrading my rifle was frustrating aNd a lot of parts I bought to upgrade didn’t really play well with the entire system.
If I was going to get a new build the one thing I would for sure replace is the bolt. With the JP enhanced bolt. Or get a rifle that had one in it already.
Not sure on sig bolts though. I would imagine sig makes all there stuff super tough.

Unless you already have a Sig 716 lower the Sig uppper is probalby not going to fit. I have a Sig 716 in .308 and it is really close to a DPMS pattern but I have tried every DPMS pattern upper I can get my hands on. I can get the front pin in and every upper I have tried on my sig lower won't even go down far enough to even try and get the rear pin in. Other than the trigger, grip and stock it seems like nothing fits the sig, except sig parts. I am actually considering selling mine, because it is so propitiatory.

what is keeping you on the fence ? if you do not already have one get one . if you can afford it , and afford to shoot it why not you know you want one . ... it would be a nice to addition to your collection and it would be yours .

Own a Sig 716 in 308. One if the first gen rifles, it's a good rifle, but either my barrel is not MOA (1.25 the best I've gotten) or my lantac break is causing it accuracy issues.
I like it enough that I disassembled it and had it cerakoted. It's very proprietary though, even the barrel. I found a thread on another forum who did the leg work on what it takes to rebarrel one. Involves a DPMS barrel in the right diameter, no gas port, and getting it drilled in the correct spot by a smith. If changing bolt, you need to get it turned to go inside the carrier.
But this was before Sig offered it in 6.5CM. I'm sure now you can just send in the upper or buy a barrel direct for whichever you want. But if you are looking to do a barrel from your preferred company, it's gong to be a bit of work.

what is keeping you on the fence ? if you do not already have one get one . if you can afford it , and afford to shoot it why not you know you want one . ... it would be a nice to addition to your collection and it would be yours .

The only thing that’s really keeping me on the fence is trying to determine if I’d get more for my money from the 716 rifle as a complete system vs. a factory upper (with a minimum of time/money trying to tune the performance of the upper with new parts).

Hope that makes sense

save your money and put it into a JP so you can shoot small holes like your bolt gun. What will the Sig give you 1 - .75 MOA at best, JP with more than half that.

save your money and put it into a JP so you can shoot small holes like your bolt gun. What will the Sig give you 1 - .75 MOA at best, JP with more than half that.
^^ this, GAP or Wilson. If your looking for Precision.
I think it depends what your using it for.

Is this like walking into the CBD store and asking the owner to talk you out of buying MJ periphenalia?

As much as I am an advocate of JP, I know the Sig is not in that price range. However, Seekins is in that price range and you would be absolutely remiss if you did not buy the Seekins.

I know the WC's and GAP's are also great rifles, but you won't go wrong with that SP10.

I say no to the sig. Simply because their proprietary everything is just annoying. Good luck finding parts for it after a few years of owning it and they ditch the rifle for a new generation.

I’m kinda sour when it comes to sig lol

I would not buy it either, even though I like mine. If I could have my $2k back, I would have looked into buying something else. Half tempted into buying a V7, at least then the rifle is less proprietary. There upper and lower is cut strange near the rear take down pin. Rest of the rifle though is nothing special.
I know the Sig is $2.8k and the V7 is $3.3k, but it weighs almost nothing.

I would not buy it either, even though I like mine. If I could have my $2k back, I would have looked into buying something else. Half tempted into buying a V7, at least then the rifle is less proprietary. There upper and lower is cut strange near the rear take down pin. Rest of the rifle though is nothing special.
I know the Sig is $2.8k and the V7 is $3.3k, but it weighs almost nothing.
That’s a nice rifle. A lot of choices. Proprietary sucks.

^^ this, GAP or Wilson. If your looking for Precision.
I think it depends what your using it for.
The Wilson combats are nice rifles, just be aware that on the big block stuff a Wilson upper only fits a Wilson lower, everything else seems to be DPMS standard or close enough to it. That could be an issue if you want to start using different uppers on the same lower.

I have a sig 716 in .308 and is is a 1.5 moa shooter at best. I would hope the new gen 2 in 6.5 would be better.

Is the 716 a decent rifle? Yes until you need parts. Is it accurate? Meh, at best.

I would listen to the 716 owners for sure. I’ve never shot one. And there is a very high probability you will end up replacing or upgrading at least a few parts.

What's the general opinion of the factory built Aero 6.5 uppers? I'm starting to think that this may be my best option since I've already got the Aero lower.

I'm assuming that most guys swap out the non-adjustable gas blocks that the upper comes with it with an adjustable block? If I go that route, what's the general consensus on BCGs? I'm not a reloader, so I'll only be using factory rounds so I'm not certain if I have to worry about the possibility of blown primers

I have a CA-10 (Christensen Arms AR-10)
It came with a 18 inch barrel (I replaced with 22inch and there standard buffer, gas block etc. I ended up installing a SlR gas block (adjustable), a heavy buffer (can’t remember who from but it wasn’t more than $50) and I pretty sure I have tubbs flat spring and last (probably the most important at least for my rifle) the JP HP bolt.
I saw a lot of people use the JP scss with the light weight bolt carrier. Basically JP bolt carrier and there buffer spring system. I would do that.
Would like to hear what you end up choosing.

I've noticed the "talk me out of buying" topics usually turn into "talk me out of not being talked into buying" topics.

:)

If you have the means, and you want to shoot 6.5, it's an awesome round and SIG is high quality....I doubt you would be disappointed. Throw a big old muzzle brake on it and you will think you are shooting 5.56.

Reactions: Mmfujita
I will throw in my .2 cents. Do not buy the Sig. the quality of the entire Sig line has been very suspect for the last several years. Some folks are very happy, many are not. I would definitely listen when you have multiple Sig owners in this thread telling you to avoid it.
I have a decent bit of experience with large frame gassers. 2 KAC, 1 GAP-10, and an Aero Precision 6.5CM.
Based on what I know as fact, the GAP-10 is incredible, but it is also $3500 or more. KAC doesn’t do a 6.5CM.....yet.
The Aero actually shoots dang good for the $$ spent, and I would absolutely look at it. The GAP is built on a Seekins upper/lower, and it is a FREAKIN LASER!! Seekins is absolutely top shelf on their fit and finish. I would ABSOLUTELY look at a complete Seekins rifle. Very nice, and less $$ than the GAP.

I've noticed the "talk me out of buying" topics usually turn into "talk me out of not being talked into buying" topics.

:)

If you have the means, and you want to shoot 6.5, it's an awesome round and SIG is high quality....I doubt you would be disappointed. Throw a big old muzzle brake on it and you will think you are shooting 5.56.

I get what you’re saying but It’s definitely not about the “means” this time around. I think that I’ve reached the point of “analysis paralysis” with 6.5 CM gas gun options. The 716 looks/looked like a good “off the shelf” solution but it looks like there are a few whole rifles that I should take a look at

LMT had Slick Side rifles on sale for $1999 this weekend. Mlok defenders are $2299. You can get one of those and a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel for about the same price as the Sig. Sell the cl 308 barrel to recoup some of the cost or keep it since the cl 308 barrels are good shooters.

Is anyone else besides SIG making an 18” 6.5 factory gun?

I know there are a lot of mixed feelings about LaRue on here. However they sell a 18.5 inch 6.5 in the UU kit, I think they even offer free assembly. Can also get it to either the M110 or DPMS pattern lower. (if you arlready have the aero lower the dpms pattern will fit) If you buy the UU kit, they will sell you a lower to go with it. For the money it is not a bad deal. 1200 for the upper and if you buy the lower you basically have a whole rifle for 1600 or so.

Wilson combat makes complete rifles in almost any barrel length you can possible want.