• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tangent Theta Gen3 XR - details and images

jb1000br

Jason@EuroOptic
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2001
On my Belly
IMO reticle is confusing..i have to count those hash line...is the DOT 1mil or is it the tall line? People started to like those center DOT but .075 dot? H59 has .05 and new LRR is .02 even kahles has .03(yup kahles is not on the same level) but for me reticle comes first when picking new scope

Each 0.1 mrad hash is of different height, so you can immediately see where you are. I think it is a good way to go about this. I have not yet seen this in a scope, but I look forward to doing that when these are available.

Perhaps, that will be the time to do another installment in the High End Tactical series:

TT525P with the new reticle vs the new ZCO vs Kahles K525i vs VS S&B 3-27x56

Or something along those lines.

It will take a little work to arrange, but an interesting comparison to make.

ILya

Each 0.1 mrad hash is of different height, so you can immediately see where you are. I think it is a good way to go about this. I have not yet seen this in a scope, but I look forward to doing that when these are available.

Perhaps, that will be the time to do another installment in the High End Tactical series:

ILya

Curious as to why you would want to do the 3-27 specifically instead of keeping the mag range the same with the 5-25. Is the 3-27 close enough it won’t make a huge difference?

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

Man that's darn near perfect. Only question is the .075 diameter floating dot - seems pretty big? I'm guessing they did that so it's still useful at low mag, and it might be totally perfect-looking in the scope. But it seem on paper like it's a hair big. Over twice the size of the dot in the SKMR.

Overall, this is a great looking reticle though, and like spife, I really like the .5 mil holds for the first couple of mils - really nice touch. .2 mil holds and an unobtrusive but useful tree.

My prediction - TT will sell a boatload of scopes with this reticle.

Reactions: anderson22
Curious as to why you would want to do the 3-27 specifically instead of keeping the mag range the same with the 5-25. Is the 3-27 close enough it won’t make a huge difference?

Mostly because the 5-25x56 is an older design that I have tested a couple of times before, so I know exactly how it stacks up.

When the 3-27x56 came out, I purposefully ignored it since it was over $5k, which is where I draw a line (eventually inflation will push me over it, but not yet). Right now, several versions of this scope are in the same $4.5k range as Tangent Theta, so I think it is safe to say they go after the same customer.

Generally, when comparing scopes, I really want to keep objective diameters the same when I can. Magnification ranges can be in the same basic ballpark, but do not have to be identical.

Either way, assembling all of these at the same time will be a little tricky, especially S&B since I never really got any traction with the importer. Perhaps, I will be able to borrow one from Jerry R. Same with Kahles, since SONA became the importer. I'll work something out, I am sure.

ILya

IMO reticle is confusing..i have to count those hash line...is the DOT 1mil or is it the tall line? People started to like those center DOT but .075 dot? H59 has .05 and new LRR is .02 even kahles has .03(yup kahles is not on the same level) but for me reticle comes first when picking new scope

I agree. Instantly confusing.

Man that's darn near perfect. Only question is the .075 diameter floating dot - seems pretty big? I'm guessing they did that so it's still useful at low mag, and it might be totally perfect-looking in the scope. But it seem on paper like it's a hair big. Over twice the size of the dot in the SKMR.

Overall, this is a great looking reticle though, and like spife, I really like the .5 mil holds for the first couple of mils - really nice touch. .2 mil holds and an unobtrusive but useful tree.

My prediction - TT will sell a boatload of scopes with this reticle.
The gen2xr has .02 ret. That size of a dot and floating crosshair in thicker lines for low magnif and all the spec above photos would've been nice :)

Looks pretty damn promising...I really like the Gen II on my S&B and have really grown used to the floating dot on my NF 7-35 MIL C.

Not an early adopter usually but may make an exception here

Great looking, very usable reticle, but the .075 mrad center dot is too big IMO. Wish they would've put a .050 or .035 center dot. A minor complaint, but overall a great reticle.

Dang...im going to spend some money sometime next year, hopefully! This is a tree done well.

My eye tends to be drawn to the largest hash mark as the 1 mil line, probably because all my current reticles do it that way. In the relatively low res picture, my eye could mistake the dot as the smallest hash mark.

Probably looks better 'in person' and just retraining the brain to see all the dots as 1 mil markers.

For guys that listen to the podcast when I talked hold over reticles,

I think this one nails what I was talking about, keeping the space just below 1 Mil as clean as possible while giving you practical options.

The dots open up that view vs long hash marks that close to the center.

Couldn't agree more (I should probably listen to that podcast). I have a hard time with overly busy reticles and I think this one gives me a lot of options without going too far into mosquito net territory.

ILya

For guys that listen to the podcast when I talked hold over reticles,

I think this one nails what I was talking about, keeping the space just below 1 Mil as clean as possible while giving you practical options.

The dots open up that view vs long hash marks that close to the center.

Thought the exact same thing after listening to the podcast and saw the diagram

Great looking, very usable reticle, but the .075 mrad center dot is too big IMO. Wish they would've put a .050 or .035 center dot. A minor complaint, but overall a great reticle.

Same here. And the dots are .1 if I read correctly.

That’s just large enough I’ll need to look through one vs just ordering it outright.

Big improvement and I’m thinking they will he a wait time unless they ramp up their production. The gen2xr was the only thing holding a lot of us back.

I tend to agree.. really dislike the circles at each MIL. I think the .075 will be bigger than I care for as well.

I think the MIL-C hashes are far more intuitive.

Either way, here we are a bunch of grown-ups complaining about stadia lengths and thicknesses on perfectly usable reticles.. what a time to be alive.

Damn that is a busy reticle. And for the price of two and a half Vortex. No thanks. Makes the Kahles 5-25 even more appealing

I don’t understand how this looks any busier than a SKMR3, MR4, ebr7b, or most any other tree reticle.
Guess you really can’t please everyone. TT delivers a more modern tree like so many said “it’s the only thing holding me back from getting one” lol and now it’s too busy. Makes no sense to me.
I think this reticle is as good as any of the others I listed, just happens to be put in a package with the best glass and turrets available.

I like it a lot, and if given the option at the time of purchase between this and the Gen II XR, I'd choose this. That said, IMO it isn't enough of a preference difference to justify trading/selling off an earlier model TT just for the updated reticle.

Reactions: Rhed and koshkin
Would have preferred a smaller center dot for more precise aiming while shooting groups. Would also prefer the full mil marks to be the largest instead of just dots. I do however really like the .5 mil dots in the tree. I think I’ll stick with my minox mr4 for now.

I don’t understand how this looks any busier than a SKMR3, MR4, ebr7b, or most any other tree reticle.
Guess you really can’t please everyone. TT delivers a more modern tree like so many said “it’s the only thing holding me back from getting one” lol and now it’s too busy. Makes no sense to me.
I think this reticle is as good as any of the others I listed, just happens to be put in a package with the best glass and turrets available.

I wouldn’t call it “too busy.” But it *might* be slightly confusing if you’re used to the longer hashmarks being whole mils.

I’m sure this reticle will be a hot seller (not that TT doesn’t already sell every optic they turn out).

I’m looking forward to seeing it in person and deciding then if it will replace my mr4.

ILya

I would love to see that with the Minox ZP5 with MR4 reticle added to the list......

ILya
If you do that review ILya, I'll send you my Minox ZP5 5-25 with MR4 reticle to include as I think it definitely competes with the big boys. The MR4 is one of my favorite (if not the favorite) reticles and compares very closely with what TT has done here

TTGen3XR_Reticle.jpg

MinoxMR4reticle.jpg

@Smooth_87 I'm glad they kept the full mil as a mil-dot. It has been a dot since inception and is also a dot on the previous generation Gen2XR. I'm a big believer in this reticle.

Just for conversation sake, I think it would be nice if they clipped the hashes off at the horizontal. Just have the hashes extending down growing increasingly larger until the actual dot.

Reactions: texag0842
If you do that review ILya, I'll send you my Minox ZP5 5-25 with MR4 reticle to include as I think it definitely competes with the big boys. The MR4 is one of my favorite (if not the favorite) reticles and compares very closely with what TT has done here

View attachment 6943658

View attachment 6943659

I may take you up on that. We'll see when the new reticle makes it out and how ZCO introduction works. I am viewing these two as sort of an "anchor" for this comparison and I will add more scopes depending on what is available.

ILya

Why now? Right when I need to buy a scope and I see 1st quarter 2019. I can't wait that long yet it looks great. I might just have to settle for the gen 2.

For my wallet’s sake, I can only hope they don’t release it in a 5-25 that focuses down to 10m.