• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Target Cameras

sib1948

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2012
Scottsdale, Arizona
Anyone here knowledgable about a good, rugged target cam set up? My searches seemed to favor the TargetCam Remote spotting system. Seems very solid and reasonably priced. I know others are available with larger monitors. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hey fellas, yes, our product is available in this site's store - click on the "Shop Sniper's Hide" link above.

Also, I realize that using our TargetCam is new to most people so feel free to call me directly with your questions. Getting instant feedback after each shot is very valuable and also makes your range time much more productive. About 1/2 of our customers get more than one camera either at the time they order or some time later.

You can order directly from the site by clicking through or by calling me directly. You'll still get the Sniper's hide discount and some of your purchase $$ goes to support the Hide.

Keith

Thanks for the link and glad Keith supports SnipersHide. Will be ordering one of these with 2 cameras in the next week or 2. I couldn't find any other system that compared with this. Always nice to purchase from a Hide supporter. We're all in one boat!

Just bought the 1000yd Bullseye for $560. I was able to save using my laptop and it stores info @ the same time.

ETA: and it shipped the same day. Will be here in 4 days!

I just got off the phone with Keith (great guy) and I'll be picking up a Target Cam system once I get my vacation and this new vet bill ($1800 to fix up one of our stray dogs) paid off.
Not having to rely on carting around a laptop is a bonus, and the wireless technology it uses it much more resilient than WiFi.

Joe

Last edited:
Just bought the 1000yd Bullseye for $560. I was able to save using my laptop and it stores info @ the same time.

ETA: and it shipped the same day. Will be here in 4 days!

Be sure and take along an Ethernet cable, mine would not work with the cable that came with the system. Works fine with the Ethernet plugged in.

Ordered my 2 camera TargetCam system from Keith on the phone. Great guy and great prices with 7% of his proceeds going to SH. Give him a call-you can't go wrong with this system and he backs it 100%. A true necessity for LR and ELR shooting and well worth the money. Will pay for itself in ammo savings in less than a year!!!

PS-No I don't have any financial interest in Keith's business.

Seems that they should get a callsign before selling of these. I'd be betting there will bet LOT of people using these illegally and don't even know that they are breaking the law.

Not meaning to rain on the Hides Vendors as they should be supported, but down here is Aus we have very little options (next to none) when it comes to Target Cameras. They are either impossible to get, don't work that well or are outrageously expensive. Mind you I have not tried the Hides Vendors cams so maybe I should have given them a go.

Keith Please excuse my post, don't mean to step on your toes so to speak...

Anyway, I was speaking to the guy who makes IR illuminators, Thermal and NV Camera systems (he also build robotic systems) the other day about it and he is going to build a prototype that will connect straight to an ipad or iphone via wifi. He had already considered making one a few years ago but never got around to it as the interest was not there, but he is on the case now.

He already makes Game Cameras for us that work over 1W Wifi (streamed Video) or via 3G Mobile networks (images) that allow us to not only see the feed but to use the PTZ functions (WiFi only). The game cameras connect straight to iPhones/Ipads via WiFi, sO I am guessing it would not be too hard for him.

He has already made us a couple of units to connect our PTZ NV Camera and out Flir PT-35 Themal direct to our iPad via WiFi.

Once he works out details (approvals etc )and I get the sample I can post a review if anyone is interested?

I have no financial interest in his business, he has just been very helpful and accommodating with getting me and my mate gear especially IR Lighting.

Last edited:
I noticed this product says "smartphone support coming soon." Any idea if these would be able to broadcast to a smartphone?

We are currently developing both iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android applications for use with our Bullseye Camera System. This will be an app that you download that connects to our camera system and will show the last shot flashing just as it does in the Windows version of the software.

Bullseye,

How far can you set your camera away from the target and still have the software identify the last shot? Your website seems to indicate that the camera should be 4-8 feet from the target.

Thanks...

Anyone have any comparison on the two systems? And how goes the software development on the Bullseye? I can't find any of the videos that depict the shot tracking system or logging process. I was curious about whether or not the tracking software measures groups in both actual and angular measurements for training purposes.

Bullseye,

How far can you set your camera away from the target and still have the software identify the last shot? Your website seems to indicate that the camera should be 4-8 feet from the target.

Thanks...

About 8 feet with the current camera. We will be offering other camera options with HD and zoom options.

My daughter and I were out doing some testing this afternoon with some new ELR antennas that we just got in. Here's a pic of our camera/ELR antenna setup. This took about 60 seconds to set up. The camera in this pic is actually a little closer than it needs to be. We were mostly out here testing these new antennas, and doing the father/daughter summer afternoon 22 plinking thing. My daughter shot the target with her 22....then we started driving to see how far we could go and still get a clear picture of her 22 holes (ELR antenna on the right on the tall tripod, camera mounted low and far out of bullet path on the lower left). For most people using our system the ELR antennas are overkill.
tahoerider-albums-target-cam-pics-picture11964-antenna-setup-7-19-2013-22-caliber-holes-test.jpg

Ok, we stopped at one mile - clear, 2 miles - clear....and here's a pic from 3 miles away from our target. 22 holes are clear as a bell. That's right, 3 miles...over 5200 yards away!!!We would have driven further because we weren't getting any flickering or signs of interference on the screen but we just ran out of road (and it was getting pretty dang hot out there!!!). This is a pic from my phone in direct Nevada sun at 2 in the afternoon. The sun is shining directly on the screen in this pic so this is a "worst case scenario" as far as the effect of bright sun. These screens that we use are designed for this type of use and do a great job even in direct mid afternooon Nevada sun. Little 22 cal shots are clearly visible (fyi, we supply a set of sun shade shrouds with our product but most people don't need them as evidenced by this pic) This was also accross a major highway (Hwy 50 just east of Carson City) and about 3 sets of power lines crisscrossing directly through the transmission area, so not ideal area for RF.
tahoerider-albums-target-cam-pics-picture11962-view-22-caliber-holes-using-our-targetcam-3-miles-thats-over-5200-yards-away-7-19-2013.jpg

To get these specialized antennas I tracked down an engineer on the other side of the country who specializes in antennas for these types of transmitter/receivers. He designed and now makes them specifically for us and our product. The proof is in the pudding and needless to say I'm very pleased with this design. This setup doesn't take no for an answer!!!Most of our customers don't even need to use these ELR antennas and just use our standard whip/dipole antennas that our system comes with but lately we've had a number of people asking for a setup that is guaranteed to work at ELR.

Our system comes with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. You can purchase it through the Hide by hitting the "Shop Sniper's Hide" link above or hitting this link - http://snipershide.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=91& A portion of each purchase goes to supporting Sniper's Hide. You can also call me directly at (775)852-9449 between 8 AM and 11 PM west coast time. I can answer any questions you have and your purchase will still help support this great site. If you are in the Denver area you can also buy our product from the good people and fellow Hide sponsor Mile High Shooting - Mile High Shooting Accessories You can also order directly from Randy and crew at Mile High and they can ship to you.

In about 2 weeks you will see our product on Extreme Outer Limits TV hosted by Bob Beck. This airs on The sportsman's channel on Monday nights Extreme Outer Limits TV | Hosted By Bob and Chris Beck | Your Long Range Authority We are now an official sponsor of this show right up there with the big boys like Nightforce and Berger so you'll see us on this show regularly from now on.

Later this summer you will see our system as a featured product being tested out at the Gunsite Academy in AZ on Sportsman's Channel TAC-TV. We did the filming for this show already about 3 months ago using our system out at over 1300 yards TAC TV Home You'll see host Larry Vickers and Gunsite long rang instructors Walt Wilkinson and Cory Trapp featured on 3 "long range" episodes of TAC-TV with AI rifles and ammo supplied by Randy of Mile High - watch for it.

We have spent a lot of time developing our system and we are very proud of it. In the end the real value of our system is it makes time spent out at the range much much more productive with instant feedback after every shot. This is good for everyone and it gets more people involved in our sport. We also have some awesome capabilities "in the works" for the near future that are going to change the way a lot of precision shooters will approach their shooting. Our current product is designed to allow these enhancements to be integrated as they are released.

sorry for the long winded post fellas...

call me anytime with questions about our TargetCam spotting systems.

Keith Averill
(775)852-9449

Last edited:
FWIW I have the 1000yd BullsEye Camera system and I tried it out last week at 600yd. Unfortunately the 600yd range runs parallel to some hefty power lines and while I could see the AP broadcasting I couldn't connect to it. That being said I did test the system afterwards at ~550yd perpendicular to the power lines and it worked without issue (could not shoot this direction, was just a function test between the system and my laptop) .

I also have a TargetCam system on order from Keith, so it will be interesting to see how it performs in the same conditions.

Time permitting, I may revisit the BullsEye system again next week with some modifications to the packaged system...

-pd

FWIW I have the 1000yd BullsEye Camera system and I tried it out last week at 600yd. Unfortunately the 600yd range runs parallel to some hefty power lines and while I could see the AP broadcasting I couldn't connect to it. That being said I did test the system afterwards at ~550yd perpendicular to the power lines and it worked without issue (could not shoot this direction, was just a function test between the system and my laptop) .

I also have a TargetCam system on order from Keith, so it will be interesting to see how it performs in the same conditions.

Time permitting, I may revisit the BullsEye system again next week with some modifications to the packaged system...

-pd

I've got your order here in front of me ptd and I'll try to get yours out to you as soon as I can. I've got other people prepaid in front of you though so we're stepping up our production...again. We've had a lot of orders hit us just recently which I'm not complaining about but I wish I could just ship units as soon as we get orders. Our build list isn't too long so we'll get it out pretty soon. Heck, I promised Frank a unit months ago and I still haven't gotten the dang thing to him!!! He's probably going to kick me outa here soon.

patience Grasshoppa...patience

Last edited:
I've got your order here in front of me ptd and I'll try to get yours out to you as soon as I can. I've got other people prepaid in front of you though so we're stepping up our production...again. We've had a lot of orders hit us just recently which I'm not complaining about but I wish I could just ship units as soon as we get orders. I hate this wait list thing, stresses me out. Heck, I promised Frank a unit months ago and I still haven't gotten the dang thing to him!!! He's probably going to kick me outa here soon.

patience Grasshoppa...patience

No worries, heck take care of Dear Leader Frank first. By no means was I complaining or anything of the like, just stating my observation with the BullsEye system and that I have your system on order as well so I will be able to test in the same environment.

-pd

Hey Grizz, sorry just saw it last night - I don't log into youtube very often. Give me a call, I'd like to talk about you doing a video with our system.

Will do, I don't live in a cell phone reception area but as soon as I can catch a cell tower I'll give you a call, hopefully in the next couple days. Thanks

Anyone have any comparison on the two systems? And how goes the software development on the Bullseye? I can't find any of the videos that depict the shot tracking system or logging process. I was curious about whether or not the tracking software measures groups in both actual and angular measurements for training purposes.

Here is a link to several videos, including video showing the basic software operation. We are doing a new software release in the next couple of weeks that allows full measuring, support of multiple cameras, exporting images plus a host of other features. Software updates are always free of charge. Our Android and iOS applications will be available this summer as well.
Bullseye Camera Systems TV - Wireless Target Camera Instruction and Demonstration Videos

The Bullseye Camera System is first product to feature an integrated software product that allows you to to see each shot flashing on the screen after you shoot, so no matter how many shots you take, you can always see your last shot. As we all know, once you have 5-10 holes in a target it can be tough to determine where the last shot went - with a basic video transmission system, it's just like a spotting scope, you can't track the last shot easily.

We have tested the system with live shooting out to 1790 yards with clear line of sight with our basic system. With the YAGI antenna upgrade you can stretch out to 3000 yards+ for those specialized shooting situations. We just won Western Hunter Magazines Best New Shooting Gear of 2013 award here:
http://www.bullseyecamera.com/media/PDFWHReviewBullseyeCamera.pdf

We are working on being sponsors of Snipers Hide and hopefully can have the product available here as well. The Bullseye Camera System was also just picked up by Brownell's and is available here:
BULLSEYE CAMERA SYSTEM | Brownells

In addition Creedmoor Sports has it here:
Bullseye Target Camera - New Items | Creedmoor Sports

You will see the product demonstrated on the Best of the West TV show, Trijicon's "The Hunt" featuring Scott Haugen, as well as on the Western Hunter TV Show. We also have been featured, and used the camera system at the largest pistol competition "Bianchi Cup" where we had 8 cameras running on the barricade event. We just completed hosting a side match at the Shooting Industry Master's event in Cody, WY.

Every system has a market niche, and what's great about having multiple systems on the market is that each product fills a different niche and in the end the shooter's have a win/win situation in the fact that they can get their needs met and spend more time shooting!

Seems that they should get a callsign before selling of these. I'd be betting there will bet LOT of people using these illegally and don't even know that they are breaking the law.

I see no reason. Not hurting anyone and feel it's time to get down on a level playing field with others in our modern America!

I see no reason. Not hurting anyone and feel it's time to get down on a level playing field with others in our modern America!

It hurts actual licensed operators who are properly using the spectrum and know what they are doing. There is a reason that there are tests involved and required knowledge for the privilege to use amateur radio spectrum.

~Brett

Just a few words about doing business with Bullseye Camera:
Bought a 1000 yd system last month. It worked perfectly at three hundred yards but I had some problems at the greater ranges. After consulting with them on the phone they sent me a brand new kit and a return tag for my original. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I am confident that it will be working just as advertised.
Thanks Guys, I like doing business with people like you.

Just a few words about doing business with Bullseye Camera:
Bought a 1000 yd system last month. It worked perfectly at three hundred yards but I had some problems at the greater ranges. After consulting with them on the phone they sent me a brand new kit and a return tag for my original. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I am confident that it will be working just as advertised.
Thanks Guys, I like doing business with people like you.

Have you had a chance to test your unit out yet? If so how do you like it?

Just watched a few videos of the bullseye camera on there website. Looks like a pretty good set-up for the price. I might need to invest in one. :cool:

SFC, I have done a lot of R&D on the long range camera systems, in fact I have built a lot of them myself, many of the current designs are copies of what I was posting here years ago. The Bullsey system uses a router and range may be your biggest issue, but the bullet impact software is very innovative. The TargetCam system uses a 2.4gHz transmitter, so you have the ability to go MUCH further with limited interference, I guess it comes down to how far away you intend to use it.

Kirk R

That is correct. Basically, you setup the camera/router near the target, setup your laptop at the shooting position and connect your laptop to the wireless router the same way you would any other wireless router system. It is in essence its own wifi, so you could connect many laptops or devices to the same camera

What's patentable about this is, I suspect, their "last shot blinking" software. 2.5 ghz cameras and wifi links with high-gain antennas to go a couple of miles are old hat. Anybody can make such a system pretty easily with off-the-shelf components. Any digital IP camera will give you the digital video and any decent WAP (Wireless Access Point) in bridge mode combined with either a Yagi or flat-panel high-gain antenna will transmit signal plenty far enough to another WAP or wifi router. Network based camera control circuitry will let you record what you need too.

The software seems cool, especially if it does other stuff like measuring group sizes, which could be done by putting a scale on the target and having the software calibrate the image based on the scale on the target then analyze the group size automatically. (You heard it hear first guys, so I want attribution!)

But the camera system is nothing particularly special. I've got access to an analog system that not only has high-gain Yagi and corner-reflector antennas but actually has digital video REPEATERS that will run a signal LOS for up to ten miles by using two video repeaters. It's pretty cool. Capturing and digitizing the signal at the bench is trivial.

Now, if you shoot at a range where there is cell phone service available, and you have a personal wifi hotspot set up on your iPhone or a dongle for your laptop, you ought to be able to have friends watch you shoot anywhere in the world.

If Dropcam had a camera with a decent long lens adapter, you could use a dropcam to do the same thing.

I like the system though, but I would prefer to have an AR plate camera protector with a wireless IP camera and battery transmitting to the WAP a bit further away from the target, particularly if you like to shoot steel rather than paper. I just remember being at the Kifaru camp a while back where they were using an impact sensor and a strobe on the long-range steel targets, which ended up getting shot up. One guy hit the strobe and another hit the wire between the sensor and the strobe.

I'd build it with a downward-deflecting AR protector plate and mount the camera on a heavy steel plate you set on the ground directly in front of the target with the WAP setup off to the side where it won't get hit with spall. Been thinking of doing this for some time, just haven't gotten around to it yet.