• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors TBAC Ti - do the sparks go away over time?

hokeyplyr48

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
Been shooting my ultra 7 and get a fair amount of sparks. I didn’t realize this was an issue till I’m googling now and found a handful of threads on here and AR15.com. However, I never found an answer of whether this was just part of a break in period or if it ever goes away. I’m certainly not thrilled with it, but if it subsides over time then I can live with that.
Other than this, the can is great. Suppression is nice, CB mount is nice, etc.

That’s reassuring. I’ve put maybe 200 rounds through it. How many rounds does it usually take to subside?

Couldn't say, I remember seeing it when my can was brand new, haven't seen it since. My guess is after you get some carbon build up in the baffles it will subside.

I've seen it with certain ammos in low light situations. But I've seen the same from an unsuppressed pistol in the same situation.

100% not baffle strikes. It's a 6.5 can on a 5.56 rifle and checked to make sure everything is concentric. It would have to be way off to get baffle strikes. Looking in the can, no baffle strikes.

For those who haven't heard of it, here are a few threads on the topic:

Based on these threads, it would appear that all Ti cans spark, but the folks in here who haven't seen it is odd so I'm wondering why some folks see it and others don't. And for those that have seen it, how long it took for it to go away.

Here's what it looked like yesterday:

Reactions: LeadZeke
All my TI cans spark. They spark less over time, to the point where it becomes impossible to distinguish between parks and muzzle flash (unlike in the beginning where it is very clear).

Thanks Zak. This more of a break in thing and not a worry about damage, correct? Happy to keep shooting to get it seasoned and have it subside, but just want to make sure this isn’t premature wear and tear.

yea I’m not worried about baffle strikes as everything is definitely lined up fine.

Being new to the suppressor game and having just waited 13 months, my question was more around am I wearing this thing out faster than to be expected and will it cause the can to have a shortened lifespan or reducing the suppression of the can by ablating the baffles. I’m probably just paranoid but since this isn’t a “I’ll just go buy another one” kind of item I’m just trying to cover all my bases.

yea I’m not worried about baffle strikes as everything is definitely lined up fine.

Being new to the suppressor game and having just waited 13 months, my question was more around am I wearing this thing out faster than to be expected and will it cause the can to have a shortened lifespan or reducing the suppression of the can by ablating the baffles. I’m probably just paranoid but since this isn’t a “I’ll just go buy another one” kind of item I’m just trying to cover all my bases.

The cause is probably the titanium oxide layer burning off (sparking) when shot. Just think, you are sending a directed, jet hot burst of flame through it every shot, that will erode the oxide layer and cause it to ignite (or spark). As the can gets shot over time the carbon will eventually take place of this oxide layer and the sparking will go away. The same thing happens if you machine Ti dry and the tool gets hot.