• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Ultra 5 or 7

blbennett1288

Rivet
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 24, 2017
    Hoover, Alabama
    I have a 50% off TBAC cert that I want to use and can’t really decide between the Ultra 5 or 7. I have read the two other threads comparing them, but I want advice for my specific situation.

I always shoot wearing Howard Light Impact Sport’s, doesn’t matter if it is suppressed or unsuppressed. I currently use a SilencerCo Hybrid for my precision rig; AIAX with 26” 6BR, 24” 6.5CM, and 16.5” .308.

Currently, shooting suppressed with the Hybrid and 6.5CM I have 2-3mils of muzzle rise. I am still able to spot my impacts, but it isn’t as effective as a muzzle brake.

The Hybrid compared to the Ultra 7 is longer by 0.8” and OD 0.07”. The Hybrid weights (17.3oz) almost double of the Ultra 7 (9.7oz). Ultra 7 134-136dB and Hybrid 136dB.

The Ultra 5 is 2.8” shorter than the Hybrid and comes in at only 7.6oz, so less than half the weight. It reduces sound to 143-145dB

Question, will the Ultra 7 have a substantial enough change in recoil impulse to warrant me going that route? Or is the Ultra 5 really what I am looking for?

I am currently leaning towards the Ultra 5 for the smaller footprint and less weight/less suppression hopefully resulting in less muzzle rise.

I'd recommend the Ultra 7 vs. the 5 just for the suppression level

Even though I am currently running a Hybrid which gets me within Ultra 7 levels?

I guess my concern if I went the Ultra 7 route is I would essentially have 2 suppressors that function the same.

The Ultra 7 will be quieter for sure, and lighter.

The Ultra 5 is fairly specialized, but if you want to go that route, it is fairly popular for hunters who want the absolute minimum length/weight added. Also some gas gun shooters who have the same goals for a different reason.

The Ultra 9 might be another option given that it's quieter still and only 2/3rds the weight of the Hybrid

For bench shooting, there's really no reason to go smaller than an ultra 9 or really maximize that 50% off cert and get a 338.

For hunting, the sweet spot is ultra 7. I absolutely love mine for getting in/out of a side by side and stalking pigs.

To me the 5" would be great for a .300 ACC sub sonic but that's about it. The 7" is significantly quieter and would soak up more recoil. I run a 7" ultra on my gas guns and a 9" ultra on my bolts. If foot print is your concern I'd go 7" if its sound and recoil 9" is the way to go. I also run almost all
    .30 cal TBAC cans on .30 and down the work great. Hope that helps. Cheers

I use 9's and 5's. The Ultra 9 is just peerless, nothing is as light and still performs that well. The 5 is for everything BUT maximum suppression. IMO anyway. I tend to like the smallest can I can get away with. Too much Hollywood? Nah, I just like 'em compact but it's a tradeoff.

In short though, the 5 will take the bark out if you're still planning on using that ear pro. BTDT, same ear pro and everything. However, if length isn't an issue then the 9 will do all that PLUS negate the need for ear pro entirely.

That said, I tend to use the 5 more, but like Zak said, it's a very specialized item. For .300BLK SBR's and hunting rifles, again, it stands peerless, and it prevents certain SBR's depending on caliber from getting too heavy and too long. Also, the 5 only adds like 4" to the rifle with those mini brakes, if that, and if you consider the size of other muzzle brakes then the whole Ultra 5 setup, can and all, could possibly be only 2" longer than an unsuppressed rifle with a typical brake.

If it weren't for rapid fire and the need for "abuse cans" about all I'd own is TBAC... And they make one in 5.56 now anyway.

The Ultra 7? IMO that's the can you buy if you just want one good one to do it all. Not as compact as the 5 and not as quiet as the 9... As far as weight goes even the 9 isn't that much heavier than the 5 IMO.

With a 50% cert, 338 ultra for sure.

The 5 is a cool can, and I use mine as Zack described above, light and compact hunter.
    A5D322ED-1C58-4681-BB78-BDCED941DA55.jpeg

Reactions: Farmerbrown32
    Those of you with the TBAC 5 how does it do for recoil reduction compared to the 7 or 9?
    I'm looking to get either a 5 or 7 to run on a 6.5 saum and 300 prc hunting rifles

Personally if it's going on a short action cartridge i'd probably go 5 since you have a dedicated 7"/8" can that's moderately light. I have a 30CB9, Omega, and Hybrid. Find myself using the omega almost exclusively just for length. It's "6.4 in it's current config. I've been looking at Rugged's K can lately for my ARs and possibly the new 7 sherman shortmag. Added benefit of the adapt module in the event the k config is too loud is what's keeping me wanting Rugged.

I've yet to actually be around a k config can so i can't really speak for them yet. I know i'm to expect "taking the edge off" with the micro 30 on my ARs and if i had to guess most k cans are going to be like that. As mentioned, a compromise. Though if it's for hunting for me personally i'd probably go ultra 5. If you're trying to opt for a lighter weight can for all around use ultra 7. Can't go wrong with either though as noted i think it's important to know what to expect from k cans.

Reactions: blbennett1288
    Those of you with the TBAC 5 how does it do for recoil reduction compared to the 7 or 9?
    I'm looking to get either a 5 or 7 to run on a 6.5 saum and 300 prc hunting rifles
    I don’t think there’s much reduction at all personally, but I’d have to test it more. Only have about 30 rounds through mine.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
    I've wondered about buying an Ultra 5 for use on several Howa Mini rifles I've built in 20 Tactical, 22 Grendel, 6RAT, and 6.5 Grendel. None of these rounds have a lot of case capacity, so are far from 'blasters'. But then I've been using an Ultra 7 on them, and it works so well in this application that I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with a 5. And I sent my old 30BA in for the Ultra recore program a couple of years ago, and have been kind of spoiled by how quiet it is - even when shooting BR VS with my 6 Dasher under a covered firing line. If they'd remove suppressors from the NFA list, the Ultra 5 is definitely one of the cans I'd buy just to try...

I've wondered about buying an Ultra 5 for use on several Howa Mini rifles I've built in 20 Tactical, 22 Grendel, 6RAT, and 6.5 Grendel. None of these rounds have a lot of case capacity, so are far from 'blasters'. But then I've been using an Ultra 7 on them, and it works so well in this application that I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with a 5. And I sent my old 30BA in for the Ultra recore program a couple of years ago, and have been kind of spoiled by how quiet it is - even when shooting BR VS with my 6 Dasher under a covered firing line. If they'd remove suppressors from the NFA list, the Ultra 5 is definitely one of the cans I'd buy just to try...

I just built a Mini in 6 Grendel i’ll be putting my ultra 5 6.5 on in a few days. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I just built a Mini in 6 Grendel i’ll be putting my ultra 5 6.5 on in a few days. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    That would be great - I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of the Ultra 5 in this application. Is your 6 Grendel a straight necked-down 6.5, or are there other changes? My 6 RAT is essentially a miniature Dasher - 40* shoulder blown forward .100"; I run 29grs of RL15 with S95MKs for just over 2800fps out of a 24" Krieger light Palma on my Mini.

That would be great - I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think of the Ultra 5 in this application. Is your 6 Grendel a straight necked-down 6.5, or are there other changes? My 6 RAT is essentially a miniature Dasher - 40* shoulder blown forward .100"; I run 29grs of RL15 with S95MKs for just over 2800fps out of a 24" Krieger light Palma on my Mini.
    It’s a straight neck down to 6 with no other changes. 21” Krieger.

Is the recoil reduction any better with the brake mounts?
    When the can is on, the brake is covered. The only difference in the Tbac direct thread cans vs the Tbac CB brake cans is that the direct thread has the CB 'permanently' attached. (Changeable by factory only).

The cans have the same effect when mounted.

Pictures taken from Google image search.
    Suppressor_Cleaning_1.jpg

Yes this is a direct thread can but it works for illustrative purposes. The bullet moves from right to left. It attaches to the barrel by the threads on the right side. On brake attach cans the baffles of the brake are inside the can past the end of the threads. All of the gases of the brake are contained in the can and all of the gases go through the front.
    BOTLRR-8127.jpg

For a more relevant image, a CB brake. When the can is attached it mates and seals up on the taper behind the threads. The baffles are inside the can.

Last edited:
    Reactions: scruffy818

I'll try saying it another way. I use these on Grendels for the most part.

If you've got a 7 already the 5 isn't gonna give you anything special you don't already have unless you use that can on a few rifles already and could use a second one. IMO the 5 is more or less a companion can to the 9, and furthermore, I find it best to get the 5 in .30 so it can be used on a greater variety of rifles, then get the 9's in the dedicated caliber.

^^^That's not a suppressor, that's a weighty barrel extension!
    Did a search for sectioned suppressor. The picture tag said something about cleaning your suppressor. Most sectioned pictures of cans that I've seen are to show how dirty they are.

Whenever I go for a centerfire can it'll be a 30 cal ultra 9 even though I have no plans for bigger than 6.5. Why shoot yourself in the foot on the first can? Optimize later.

I'll try saying it another way. I use these on Grendels for the most part.

If you've got a 7 already the 5 isn't gonna give you anything special you don't already have unless you use that can on a few rifles already and could use a second one. IMO the 5 is more or less a companion can to the 9, and furthermore, I find it best to get the 5 in .30 so it can be used on a greater variety of rifles, then get the 9's in the dedicated caliber.
    The only reason I'm interested in an Ultra 5 is that it's more compact, which is really only important to me for use on the Minis. Whether the shorter length is worth what I'd give up in suppression relative to how well my Ultra 7 works would only be answered by doing a shooting comparison on all four of the rifles I mentioned. Maybe the 6.5 version of the Ultra 5 would narrow the margin between suppression provided by my 30 cal Ultra 7 and the 30 cal Ultra 5 to make it worth going through the hassle to get the 5. Whatever - we're only talking about 2oz difference in weight between the 7 & 5, and only 2" in length. My Ultra 7 sees more use than any of the other three 30 cal CF cans I own, including the re-cored 30BA that is by far the quietest can I own. I should probably send in my 30CB9 for re-core before seriously considering the purchase of an Ultra 5 - truly, a case of 'less bang for the buck' in a totally good way...lol

Last edited:
    After watching about all the videos on Ray's youtube account and listening to the suggestions in this thread I have decided to rule the Ultra5 out and add the 338 Ultra to the mix.

My thought process being, I no longer think I will get the results I desire in my original post from the Ultra 5. The Ultra 7 will be smaller, lighter, and quieter than the SiCo Hybrid. I was considering the Ultra 9, but for the marginal gain of 2-3dB, over the Ultra 7 I might as well upgrade to the 338 Ultra and get the suppression levels to 119-124dB with .308 and 6.5CM respectively.

The weight difference will be negligible to the SiCo Hybrid (338 Ultra 16.9oz and Hybrid 17.3 oz). The 338 Ultra will be thicker by ~0.25" and longer by ~2.5".

I am trying to line something up to check out the Ultra 5 and 7 from someone local. Anyone have an 338 Ultra in the central Alabama area?

I have talked to 2 people running the 338 Ultra on 6 and 6.5mm projectiles and they really like it.

So the question now becomes smaller package and same magnitude of suppression or larger package and ultimate suppression.

The 2 videos that really added the 338 Ultra to the mix

A little late to the party, but for what it's worth I'm running an Ultra 5 on a 300 PRC (sharing it with my 300 BLK) and surprised how well it does. Impulse is reduced enough to still spot easily at 500+. Run a 7 on 6.5 and couldn't be happier, but if I had it to do over would have got the 7 in a 30 as well. Considering buying another 7 in 30 but waiting on 338 Ultra reviews on a 300 PRC just in case I later go bigger. Learning from my past mistakes.

Reactions: 762 ULTRAMAGA
    A little late to the party, but for what it's worth I'm running an Ultra 5 on a 300 PRC (sharing it with my 300 BLK) and surprised how well it does. Impulse is reduced enough to still spot easily at 500+. Run a 7 on 6.5 and couldn't be happier, but if I had it to do over would have got the 7 in a 30 as well. Considering buying another 7 in 30 but waiting on 338 Ultra reviews on a 300 PRC just in case I later go bigger. Learning from my past mistakes.

Why would you wait for 300 PRC reviews with the 338 ultra? It’s for all intents and purposes, identical to a 300 WM.

The Ultra 9 was so close to the 338 Ultra. I was considering getting an Ultra 5 to use on the Howa Mini rifles, but the Ultra 7 is compact enough to suit my needs, and does quite a bit better job than the Ultra 5, so rather than spend the $$$ on a 5 & wait a year to get it, I think it makes more sense to send in my 30CB9 to have it re-cored. Then, in essence, I'll have two Ultra 9s, since I've already had a 30BA re-cored. Knew it was quite a bit quieter than the Ultra 7, but this video quantifies the difference very well.

It'd been some time since I'd ran the 30CB9 on anything, but was getting accuracy & chrono data on a 7mm-08 Improved 30* last Sunday, and used that can on it. Was very impressed with how quiet it was on both the 7-08 & a 6XC I was testing with RL23.

Why would you wait for 300 PRC reviews with the 338 ultra? It’s for all intents and purposes, identical to a 300 WM.
    10.4 x 1.8 x 16.9 vs 7 x 1.5 x 11.5. Don't want to risk increasing whip and messing up a good thing and Db reduction better if used as intended.

I still haven’t received the stamp for the ultra 5 I ordered during last years sale. But all of these 5 vs 7 threads are making me wanna order a 7 and put the 5 on my wife’s or daughter’s rifle.

I love the ultra 7, use it on a 300 win mag, 300 norma, and a 260 ackley. Repeatable accuracy, minimal impact change from shooting with can to shooting with the brake. Great sound reduction as well.

I caved and went with the 338 Ultra using the 50% off cert

I may still pick up an 6.5 Ultra 7

Thanks for all the info everyone.
    You didnt go wrong. The 338 is cool. Shot a customers once, but dont own one. Try it on 300 BLK with subs, its really awesome. I have a 5, 7 and had a 9 (buddy bought it from me). The 7 isnt even a fair comparison to the hybrid which I also have. 7 is quieter, lighter, and has a better mounting system. Dont worry about 2 cans doing the same thing cause they wont be. The 7 will do everything better. It should be your next can. The hybrid is super cool on my 450 bush single shot and 458 socom bolt pistol with a special Subsonic receipe though. So it has its place.

I have had the 5 for 3 years now and I have yet to find a use for it. I find the sound to be just a bit snappy and just over the obnoxious level for me for hunting. The 7 is very pleasant. And for 300 BLK subs, its still kind of loud. We cant really use it without earpro which is exactly what I dont want to do with 300 BLK subs. As Zak said, its specialized and has its place but I just dont have the right specialty.

Do it. Right now. Go order it. You deserve it. It will be the best decision you made this year.

I just called this morning to check and both my ultra 5 and 22 takedown are pending. So I might wait since no sale has been announced yet. Thanks for the encouragement though lol.