• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors TBAC Ultra-7 vs Ultra-9

NateVA

Joke Understander
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2017
Wilmington, NC
I apologize if this question is common to you guys, I'm quite new to suppressors. I just ordered a TBAC 22 Takedown a few days ago and am looking forward to getting a suppressor for centerfire rifles also.

I am looking to order a .30 caliber Ultra-7 or 9 in the next few weeks. It will be a do-it-all suppressor that I can put on a few different firearms ranging from 6.5 Creedmoor to 300 Win Mag possibly. For anyone that has experience with both suppressor lengths, is the additional suppression of the Ultra-9 worth the added length to the firearm?

I have both , if I only could have 1 I'd go with the 9"
it is noticeably quieter and in reality if you are mounting a can it's not going to a real short rifle anyway.

In that same thread of thought, what barrel length would you guys do for a 6.5CM that is going to have an Ultra-9 attached to it?

I have a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor with a TBAC CB9 (pre Ultra) with no problem maneuvering. Spinning up a 26" 6 Creedmoor for the 7-Ultra (on the way). Over all length should be the same.

I've been undecided on either an Ultra 7 or 9 6.5 cb. I have a 20" 260 Tikka right now that has about 1000 rounds on it, I'm going to get PVA to spin up a 24" 260 barrel later this year.

I originally planned on a Ultra 7 to keep oal down, but I have been using a 9" Rugged Surge and it isn't bad with the 20" barrel. Y'all that have experience with the Ultra 7 and 9 on bolt guns, is the 7 hearing safe in your opinion? And is there a reasonable difference between the 7 and 9 db wise? I'm trying to hold out for the group buy but I may jump on a deal here soon. I am going to get a 22 takedown at the same time because you can't have too many rimfire cans.

I know ya'll are talking 6.5 instead of .30, but check out Ray's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxk4BHaKkaY&t=233s

This is the thread it was from: https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...ltra-series-on-20-308-meter-test-shooters-ear

I'm speaking about a 30 Cal suppressor. Based on the feedback here it looks like I'll be getting an Ultra-9 in 2-3 weeks. If the overall length is too long, I can chop some barrel off. I can't add length to a suppressor. Those numbers are very useful and confirm what I was leaning towards.

I bought an Ultra 7 a couple of years ago, then sent my old 30BA back to have TBAC do the Ultra 9 stack upgrade on it. As far as I'm concerned, none of the cans I'm aware of are ear safe when fired on a CF rifle with supersonic ammo. I always wear either plugs or muffs when shooting with even the converted 30BA. Maybe it's my imagination, but I think I can tell that the Ultra 9/30BA is a bit quieter on the same rifle as is the Ultra 7. I've still got a 30CB9, and when I'm on the rifle, the only difference between it & the Ultra 7, that I can tell is the 'tone' of the sound, with the 30CB9's tone sounding very slightly less intense than the Ultra 7. That's probably a lousy way to put it, but I don't have a better explanation.

Nearly all my bolt rifles have 26" bbls, so I'm used to that length plus a 9" can, since that's the length all mine were before getting the Ultra 7. Honestly, the extra 2" of the Ultra 9 hasn't bothered me at all.

Reactions: deersniper
i purchased the ultra 7 30cal CB for my 223, 260, 308 and 300WM. maximum length barrel i have is a 24" barrel. for a hundred dollars more i don't really see the benefit for a couple DB difference. if money were not a question. sure i would go 9" on all of my rifles and i've have a sup for EACH of them. and yes the 260 would have a 6.5 supressor.... but the 7" is super effective on all of my rifles and i am VERY happy with the TBAC products

Reactions: ChevyGuy2012
IMO a 9" suppressor is beyond the point of giving you a compact package so at that point I'd just sacrifice and extra inch and buy a 338 Ultra to get the utter versatility that it offers. That was my plan when I ordered my Ultra 7CB was to get it and then a 338 Ultra. After assessing my needs/uses however I'm just going to get a second Ultra 7 with the TBAC certificate I have.

Just a heads up, there was someone that listed a 50% off certificate last night for $350. That price would get you into a 338 Ultra for $1250.

IMO a 9" suppressor is beyond the point of giving you a compact package so at that point I'd just sacrifice and extra inch and buy a 338 Ultra to get the utter versatility that it offers. That was my plan when I ordered my Ultra 7CB was to get it and then a 338 Ultra. After assessing my needs/uses however I'm just going to get a second Ultra 7 with the TBAC certificate I have.

Just a heads up, there was someone that listed a 50% off certificate last night for $350. That price would get you into a 338 Ultra for $1250.

I don't want the added weight/diameter of the 338 Ultra given that I don't plan to ever have anything larger than .30 Caliber. I'll likely get a 6.5 Ultra of some length down the line after the .30 Cal Ultra-9 though.

When I was considering on what ultra 7/9 and 6.5/.30 to buy, I called thunderbeast and they swayed me to the 6.5 ultra 7 bc at the moment I have a 6.5 CM. They had convinced me if I wanted another suppressor on down the line after another rifle build, something new and greater could of came out so I went with caliber specific at the moment. Still in jail but I felt good about my purchase

I have the 7 and if I could do it again I would go 9. I am eventually going to pickup an Ultra 9 and use it for my bolt guns and just the leave the 7" on my 300blk sbr as a dedicated suppressor there.

When I was considering on what ultra 7/9 and 6.5/.30 to buy, I called thunderbeast and they swayed me to the 6.5 ultra 7 bc at the moment I have a 6.5 CM. They had convinced me if I wanted another suppressor on down the line after another rifle build, something new and greater could of came out so I went with caliber specific at the moment. Still in jail but I felt good about my purchase

Yeah I'm going to get the 30 Cal Ultra-9 and wait a bit. If they come out with something even better then I'll be in a position to buy one of those too.

Well I went ahead and bought an Ultra 9 6.5 yesterday for my Tikka 260. I'll likely get an Ultra 7 in a few months as well.

I have both and prefer the 7 due to lighter weight and shorter length. The 7 is a 6.5 and 9 a 30 cal can. I just got my 9 back from TBAC for the upgrade but have not made it home to check out how beneficial the upgrade is concerning weight. My preference could change if upgrades are a substantial improvement.

On your 6.5 creed, i would run a 22'' barrel.

I'm on the extreme end of the length equation. 28" barrel, 9" Ultra. The length has only tripped me up once at a match where we were shooting from inside a culvert pipe. It was pretty unwieldy. Aside from that, it's been fine for me. Granted, the matches I shoot don't typically have a lot of ports that must be shot through.

Don't forget, in addition to being faster, longer barrels are inherently quieter due to reduced pressure at the muzzle.

It's not very relevant to the discussion, but my 28" 6 Dasher with the Ultra 9 is the quietest CF rifle I've ever heard. People comment on the fact whenever they are around it.

Reactions: Baer45
A lot of discussion on noise, any consideration given to affect on velocity? I was looking for a write up on changes to velocity from 7 to 9 inch, and I haven’t been able to locate anything. I know there are a lot of variables... but perhaps fixing everything except can length, anyone have ideas on the change in velocity?

TimK - I know what you're talking about - we shoot monthly BR Varmint Silhouette matches on a covered firing line at our club. I recently re-barreled my M700 1000yd BR rifle with a new 28" Dasher bbl, and have been shooting off rests with my converted 30BA w/Ultra 9 baffle stack. Previously had a Vais radial brake on a 6x47 bbl - the concussion/echo from the line's cover made it tough to keep from blinking & missing seeing the impacts so I could correct for my wind call and/or misses. This is ever so much better! I could be using my Ultra 7, but the light weight of the Ultra 9 hasn't had any negative effects on accuracy, and I very much appreciate how quiet it is to shoot on that covered line.

Since the thread has been bumped and I'm the original poster of it, I guess I'll give an update. I ended up ordering the Ultra-9 but since I'm going to be ordering a 338 Ultra on Friday, it may have been a better idea for me to originally order the Ultra-7 so the there would be less overlap between the purpose of the two. Nonetheless the plan is for the 338 Ultra to be a dedicated magnum suppressor for the 300WM I'm having built and for the Ultra-9 to be my non-magnum suppressor. I'll also probably be ordering an Ultra-5 sometime in the next few months as well for hunting. So come Friday I will have three TBAC suppressors in ATF jail waiting for me and that number may rise to four in a month or two.

You'll like the Ultra 5 for sure. I have one, and have used it on 6.5 Creedmoor bolt guns with 18-22" barrels. Love how compact and light it is, and suppresses the noise enough that I don't do permanent hearing damage when I shoot it while I'm hunting. Tames the recoil and makes it something that even my wife is comfortable shooting.

A lot of discussion on noise, any consideration given to affect on velocity? I was looking for a write up on changes to velocity from 7 to 9 inch, and I haven’t been able to locate anything. I know there are a lot of variables... but perhaps fixing everything except can length, anyone have ideas on the change in velocity?

When I first got my Magnetospeed V3, I did quite a few groups with and without my 9" ultra .30 on an AI/AT in 260 rem. The velocity was a few fps quicker with the can, but less than 10fps, and frankly, it could have been that those measured groups were shot after earlier ones as the day/ammo warmed. Not the 7"-9" comparison you were asking for, just not noticeable on the paper. I have the Ultra in 7 and 9 in 6.5 and .30 variants.

Well I ordered the TBAC 338 Ultra today so I now have a 22 Takedown, Ultra-9, and 338 Ultra in ATF jail. Now I just need to round out the group with one more. Going to try and find out if an Ultra-5 can suppress a 300WM below 140. If so, that'll be the last one I order for now.

I have a 7 and a 338. Love my 338 but a ulta 9 maybe a sweet spot. rarely use the 7"
Yeah I want the last one I have in mind to be different enough from the other 2 Ultras I have on order that there's no overlap in use. This one will be strictly for hunting use and nothing else, since I'll have the Ultra-9 and 338 Ultra for everything else. That's what's making me lean heavily towards the Ultra-5.

Yeah I want the last one I have in mind to be different enough from the other 2 Ultras I have on order that there's no overlap in use. This one will be strictly for hunting use and nothing else, since I'll have the Ultra-9 and 338 Ultra for everything else. That's what's making me lean heavily towards the Ultra-5.

I can see that. Hunting wise ultra 5 would be pretty light and get the job done.

I have the 7 and 9. I can’t tell much sound difference unless you are really comparing them side by side. For applications like hunting or in/out vehicles, I much prefer the 7. If you are shooting at the range mostly then you might as well get the 9. Life is about trade offs and one is not inherently better than the other unless you consider it in context of the application.

Does anyone know when the ultra series of cans came out? Is there gonna be an update anytime soon?

I have the 7 and 9. I can’t tell much sound difference unless you are really comparing them side by side. For applications like hunting or in/out vehicles, I much prefer the 7. If you are shooting at the range mostly then you might as well get the 9. Life is about trade offs and one is not inherently better than the other unless you consider it in context of the application.
Even just hauling it around a 9" can is a PITA on a longer-barreled rifle. FFS, my AX with 26" barrel and SpecWar attached is near 5" long - still a PITA at the range.

Reactions: Baer45
I just purchased a Ultra 9 in .30 cal. I couldn't decide between tune 7 or 9. The guys at Mile High were very helpful so I went with the 9. My AAC Cyclone is 9.5" long and it doesn't seem to long to me.

I purchased the Ultra 7 to put on a 308 short build. This will be my first surpressor but from what I have read the TBAC out performs a lot of the others on the market. Hopefully I'll be happy with it. Anyone have experience with a similar build that can share? I wanted it short for maneuverability and carrying around for long periods of time.

Reactions: edubya
I purchased the Ultra 7 to put on a 308 short build. This will be my first surpressor but from what I have read the TBAC out performs a lot of the others on the market. Hopefully I'll be happy with it. Anyone have experience with a similar build that can share? I wanted it short for maneuverability and carrying around for long periods of time.

You will love it. My ultra7 is my favorite can. Super light, relatively short, and quiet. I really don’t have anything negative to say about it other than use rocksett on the muzzle device if you chose the CB model otherwise it will come off with the can at some point.

You will love it. My ultra7 is my favorite can. Super light, relatively short, and quiet. I really don’t have anything negative to say about it other than use rocksett on the muzzle device if you chose the CB model otherwise it will come off with the can at some point.
Thanks for the information samson7x!

I went with a Ultra 9 30 cal. Even though it will primarily be used on my AI 6.5 CM, I like the idea of using it on a 300 Norma Mag some day. I'll mess around at PRS style matches, but it was never the main concern for me. So the size was worth the maximum suppression for me. Plus, outside of the bedroom 2" aint much.

Like someone else posted, I get about 10 fps or so from the can. 24" Dasher, .30 cal Ultra 9

And also like someone else said: Dasher plus U9 = Giggles. The gun is unspeakably soft shooting. Down in the woods by my house it's like a .22 lr. In the open at the range it's like taking an air tool off a quick connect.

Reviving this. Ultra 7 vs 9 users. Any new thoughts on which you prefer to use overall?

I went with a Ultra 9 30 cal. Even though it will primarily be used on my AI 6.5 CM, I like the idea of using it on a 300 Norma Mag some day. I'll mess around at PRS style matches, but it was never the main concern for me. So the size was worth the maximum suppression for me. Plus, outside of the bedroom 2" aint much.

Many of the top guys are running the 338 Ultra at PRS matches. It suppresses anything better than the Ultra 9 for a few ounces more. I have one those and a 6.5 Ultra 7. If I had to do the 6.5 can over again, I would have gone with the Ultra 9 since I don't find the 338 Ultra unwieldy.

Reviving this. Ultra 7 vs 9 users. Any new thoughts on which you prefer to use overall?

I spent last week shooting prairie dogs with an AI/AX in 6BR. (off a table, so length didn't matter much). I have Ultras in 7" and 9", both 6.5 and .30 cal. Also have a .338 can. I chose the Ultra 9 in 6.5

Reactions: 22-Dasher
You really can't go wrong with either model, however my advise is this.

Flip a coin, and while the coin is in the air whatever side your heart wants it to land on order that can. These things are for life, don't purchase something and wish you bought the other one instead.