• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Technically still a 22lr

Geno C.

Dirty Carnie
Minuteman
  • Oct 24, 2007
    Wautoma, WI
    6FEBDE39-2788-4DF7-9A63-8C4FBC2E1DB9.jpeg
    74F49D7A-69EA-4FE7-9E5F-5B30CFE2A36D.jpeg
    Been pushing my 50gr 22lr copper solid and David Kiff contacted me about it. Suggested some reamer lead designs and possibly running RCC brass with his action. Reamers and brass showed up today. Pieces are coming together. Now that they’re in my hands, I’m really curious how hard they can be pushed.

Very nice, couple of questions for you about it.

What primers do that brass use ?
    And I presume a firing pin mod/change to suit the primers ?

Thanks Geno C.

I checked RCC for info, Copy & paste from them below.

" 22 Long Rifle Center Fire

We’ve had a lot of questions about this cartridge we manufactured for Dan Hilliard. The .22 Long Rifle Center Fire is a .22 Long Rifle Rimfire that has been modified to a center fire cartridge. The external dimensions are the same as the SAAMI external dimensions and the internal dimensions at the mouth are the same too. We did modify the webbing to allow for a small rifle primer.

The firing pin on a .22 long rifle rimfire firearm will need to be modified to center fire. Since this was originally designed as a black powder cartridge it has a healed bullet. We do not recommend projectiles or load development, or how to modify firearms, as we are not in that business. We will report on bullet weights, velocity, and energy of a load if it is sent to us. "

More time I spend on here means I really need a bigger safe or another bigger safe.

Man this is going to be good, with the use of primers how much capacity do you lose.

Recommendation is 10k rounds for every caliber you own.

Simple enough to figure...

7000 grains per 1 lb. So, yeah, a 1 lb. jug if it takes 4 grains (on the heavy end) of powder would load 1,750 rounds of .22LR. So, an 8 lbs. jug would net you enough powder to reload 14,000 rounds. 👍🏼
    I was thinking more like 2-2.5 grains. I was figuring the SRP is hot relative to the rimfire priming compound.

I have a magic 1lb container of unique that never seems to get any lighter.

Reactions: Geno C.
    Will definitely be watching this.

Geno,
    I'm thinking small pistol primers like used in some 22 Hornet and other cases smaller than it.
    If you need some, let me know while you're here

Man this is going to be good, with the use of primers how much capacity do you lose.
    Looks like quite a bit. With the ability to run higher pressure, I think I’ll revisit longshot. Might be able to move up the powder speed scale some more too. With cases at over $3ea, I will try to avoid destroying any.

Reactions: Ravenworks
    View attachment 7760280View attachment 7760282Been pushing my 50gr 22lr copper solid and David Kiff contacted me about it. Suggested some reamer lead designs and possibly running RCC brass with his action. Reamers and brass showed up today. Pieces are coming together. Now that they’re in my hands, I’m really curious how hard they can be pushed.
    Geno are you still coming down this winter? I'd love to see these up close....hope to see you down here one of these days it's beautiful right now.

Well be down for the Christmas break. Won’t get to do any shooting I don’t think. When I come down for the trade show in late Jan, early Feb, I’ll be bringing some more stuff with me to have some fun.

Well be down for the Christmas break. Won’t get to do any shooting I don’t think. When I come down for the trade show in late Jan, early Feb, I’ll be bringing some more stuff with me to have some fun.
    Awesome look forward to it

So what type of action/rifle is capable of shooting a center fire 22lr? My apologies if it's been posted or common knowledge. I'm guessing a custom gun? Either way this is awesome.

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do a new bolt head for the RimX action that would work, but I don't know what pressures the RimX action is designed for, and I'm not sure how much higher the centerfire 22 pressures would be . . . .

Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do a new bolt head for the RimX action that would work, but I don't know what pressures the RimX action is designed for, and I'm not sure how much higher the centerfire 22 pressures would be . . . .
    They didn’t seem too excited about helping

@Geno C. any guess on how many firings you might get on one of these ? Or is it one and done like the rim fire and the advantage is in great pressure/ speed?

Being straight walled, so long as you don't routinely exceed 60-65ksi, and you have a decent cartridge-case fit, you'll probably get a lot of loadings out of it.

Somebody could probably draw&head those for much cheaper.

Hey @Geno C. what’s the up date on the project?

Make your way to the what’s your view thread and post some pictures of the carnie life.

How are the boys?