• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teludyne Tech — super-accurate AR upper receivers

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1354750965280Teludyne%20Tech%20cover.jpg

Teludyne Tech's recently-announced StraightJacket barrel enhancement system is one of the most impressive ways we've seen used to accuratize a rifle ever. The StraightJacket is a housing that wraps around a barrel making it ultra-rigid without adding a great deal of weight.

After a long wait, Teludyne is preparing to sell complete upper assemblies for AR-15s, and they're taking pre-orders now. The upper assemblies have an MSRP of $2,400, but pre-orderers will be given 15 percent off, bringing the price tag down to just over $2,000.

A firearm equipped with a StraightJacket is vastly more accurate than one equipped with a fluted bull barrel and it completely smokes a standard barrel. Down the road, we fully expect to see Teludyne StraightJack standard on serious competition firearms, provided they don't get explicitly prohibited. That's the type of improvement we've seen.

Teludyne's upper receiver, chambered in 5.56 NATO, shoots 1.07 MOA at 600 meters. Not impressed? That was a 120-round string shot in two minutes.

urg12.png

The StraightJacket consists of an aluminum sleeve filled with a proprietary resin that not only lightweight but has exceptional thermal properties. We suspect the media is carbon fiber or graphene-based or something in that vein, as carbon is both lightweight and highly thermally conductive. The heat-dissipation advantage helps keep groups down by limiting the amount of thermal expansion in the barrel. Because the barrel warps less, and is held so rigidly, the upper maintains a level of accuracy not matched by any other barrel types.

We found out about the StraightJacket earlier this year, while Teludyne was taking custom one-off orders. The StraightJacket works with all types of long guns, even shotguns. And within weeks, after word caught on, they had to stop accepting new business they were so overwhelmed by the demand.

We're sure that even with a $2,000 price tag, it won't be long before all their pre-order slots are filled.

Teludyne's first upper is called the URG1, or Upper Receiver Group 1. It features a matched bolt and carrier, a free-float barrel, an adjustable mid-length direct-impingement gas system and a Samson Evolution rail. It's built around a chrome-lined stainless steel barrel that's been High Pressure Tested and Magnetic Particle Inspected.

urg11.png

For a complete listing of the upper's specifications, check out the product page.

While it may be a bit funny-looking, the accuracy—especially with heavy sustained fire—is just astounding. The upper, complete with bolt carrier group, weighs just five pounds.

There might be another long delay between this production run and the next, so think hard about getting in line. It could be months before you get another chance.

Source — Guns.com

Re: Teludyne Tech — super-accurate AR upper receivers

As soon as I saw "Sine Pari Series" I knew I didn't have to read any further...

I was worried about the weight, but then I saw it was fluted so no worries...

When you see "game-changing" in the literature, you know their serious. Probably as serious as Red Jacket.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you see "game-changing" in the literature, you know their serious. Probably as serious as Red Jacket. </div></div>

was going to say that as well.....

Not the best tag line post Red Jacket

This is nothing new. Theres a company that has been doing this with FAL rifles for a while now. I dont know if they are still in business, but their filler was called "pixie dust".

120rds in 120 seconds........with mag changes? I shoot prone with 20rd mags, so that seems like a lot of mag changes and wind calls in a short period of time to hold MOA at that distance.

.............but then again, my uncle's neighbor had a brother in law shoot 1/2 MOA at 599m meters with surplus ammo, one hand behind his back, with a scandium upper with a titanium barrel coated in unicorn tears, so I guess its possible.

I am not here to knock anything but when i see these barrels on my friends bench rest rifles for a while at the club then i will know something good is going on.

I did watch the guys from ThunderBeast destroy one of these at a writer's event a couple years ago. I definitely didn't notice the accuracy improving. It did run the chamber cooler, but not much else

Ahh the old "straight jacket" I have talked with them. Very rude people. I was calling about my 22-250 vssfII and it shoots .5" all day. They said it would shoot .1's after a straight jacket,lol. I've been paying thousands for custom builds all these years for nothing. Just put a pvc pipe over it and fill with liquid nail? Game Changer! Sounds like a barrel condom to me. Wouldn't want any baby 556's out runnin around.

BTW I haven't seen a ss chrome lined brrl before, and the sight says 4140??? NOT SS
Tell em if they wanna T&E written on it I'd be glad to test it for the Hide Folk. I've done it for barrett,RRA, CMT, among others.

For $2000+ I would at least expect a monolithic upper receiver with there "pixie dust ish" filled barrel sleeve, Really? Carbon fiber seams waaaaaay cheaper to change barrel to.

with the first words of "game changing" i feel a strong presence of will hayden and snaggle toof.

"Straight Jacket" is a company. (I saw listed in SGnews) and I was interested so I contacted them, it's a hollow tube that they epoxy around your barrel, be it a sporter or bull, and it's supposed to stiffen your barrel, and help cool, and make it shoot like a 5k BR rig. I guess some people like uh "mumbles" barf.com. wanna "Super Tacticool Sniper system looks" and a big butt "looking" barrel to show and take pics of to show people. I had a younger guy (I call him UTGman) who's Mom and Dad bought him tons of AR's and he decked them out with Chinese ACOG's, tripod front grips, flashlights,lasers, ipods, brass catchers, (I think you get the idea) But he never even shot them, or had ammo. He calls one day and says his ruger M77 "Custom" would shoot .1'"s so I asked what caliber, after I heard 7mmmag I grabbed a box, told him to bring it here, when he saw the 100yd range, he said "that's like 300 yds man" Lol, I said no, give him my range finder, he sat down and printed a perfect 6.4" group. To catch you up it was "Custom" via the straight jacket. I did however get a 2" group, but I hate heavy recoil, so it may shoot 1" but is that "custom"?

At this point in weapons quality, I don't think anything could be game changing anymore.

When you have systems capable of .5 MOA and quite a few capable of .3, what is game changing after that? 20 rounds into a hole the size of 1 projectile would be the only thing I would call game changing.

120 rounds in 120 seconds at 600 meters? BULLSHIT Even if it were in a super awesome vise of doom with a 100 round Surefire mag and a 20 round Pmag, I call bullshit on that accuracy, range, and time.

Considering the Teludyne accuracy claims, I find the 3rd photo posted interesting. The upper rail and hand guard top rail are not aligned to the same plain, while this won't affect accuracy it does show a lack of attention to detail which could be extrapolated to effect accuracy in other areas.

"Teludyne's upper receiver, chambered in 5.56 NATO, shoots 1.07 MOA at 600 meters. Not impressed? That was a 120-round string shot in two minutes. "

That's the claim of the authoer Max Slowik from GUNS.com yah? That's not what Teludyne is claiming is how I'm reading it.

This seams very novelty-esque.

Folks,

Good morning. As the CEO of Teludyne Tech Industries I think it might be helpful if I respond. After spending 20 years in the Army and 16 of it in the 75th Ranger Regiment I really appreciate sprited discussions. A couple guys call bullshit on the MOA stats and as they read I would to. What we did was:

- Zeroed at 50 Meters
- Moved to 100M and fired a 5 Round Group for accuracy
- Using four 30 round Mags fired one round a second for 120 Rounds (this included 2 x mag changes)
- Waited 2.5 MINS
- Moved to 100M and fired a 5 Round Group for accuracy

* Note: repeated 10 times for average

What we wanted to investigate was the Point of Aim/Point of Impact deviation significant if the guns were run hard and barrels got hot. The match M4 we used was of good quality and cost approx $1700.00. Both Guns were DI.

Here are the results from the above test;

- Match Grade M4: 5 Round Group 0.9649 MOA/1.105"
- URG1: 5 Round Group 0.551 MOA/0.631"

5 Round Group after 120 Rounds and waiting 2.5 MIN
- Match Grade M4: 5 Round Group 7.9408 MOA/9.09"
- URG1: 5 Round Group: 1.0295MOA/1.18"

we also ran 60 rounds hot as well. it seems that once the barrel gets hot accuracy diminishes significantly.

The loads;
77 grain Black hills for accuracy
M855 Ball to simulate sustained engagement.

Guys I must tell you up front that I am not an expert and have joined these forums and blogs to get educated as much as possible. I took over TTI in FEB 2012 after leaving as the Chief Technology Officer at North American Rescue. As far as the gentlemen that received unacceptable customer service I am extremely sorry and please accept my apologies. I look forward to listening to all you guys and your opinions. Last Thing Thank you for the multiple comments on Game-Changing. Im getting rid of that shit in the morning.

Rob Miller
Mobile: 864-200-0227

Props for stepping up to the plate and putting facts out there. Will remain to be seen if independent testing shows similiar results.

As someone who has brought non shooting related products to the market I would suggest stomping on all of the outlandish claims such as that made in the original post. If your system is an improvement for hot barrel accuracy/zeros your price could be in line with what a serious customer is willing to pay. However the same serious customer will look at those 1moa at 600 claims and put them right up there with the countersniper scopes and move on to keeping their money in their wallets.

Norcal, Thank you for the advice. Below is the data from the 600 Meter T&E.

- 5 Round Group Size in Inches for Match Grade M4: 6.63"
- 5 Round Group Size in Inches for URG1: 3.79"

120 Rounds, 60 Rounds mIn with 10 min wait

- 5 Round Group Size in Inches for Match Grade M4: 54.56"
- 5 Round Group Size in Inches for URG1: 7.07"

Has anyone tested their guns to simulate persistant engagement and experienced accuracy degradation and increased malfunctions exacerbated by thermal stress?

Thank you for the comments

Good job stepping in, but you have to remember that you can buy an OBR that has set it's mark for accuracy as well as the GAP 10, and that's the complete package. I think you need to consider costs. I don't know what tube you are running, but unless it's a Bartlein/Krieger, the price is still waaay too high. This looks like a $1000 upper if it even does what you say. Too many people (re-inventing) the AR platform. Not enough "bang for your buck" here.

My 20" Krieger DCM barrel, in stainless steel with a .223 Wylde chamber cut to my bolt and bead blasted, was $450. A Varmatch version of the same thing fluted under the handguard would be maybe $600.

I'm sure there's some specialized purpose (military?) where the thermally conductive resin-impregnated carbon fiber wrap would be of benefit, but I can't imagine a situation where I as a recreational target shooter would fire at such a sustained rate much less still need sub-MOA accuracy. I also suspect the Krieger has it beat for accuracy given my tendency to stop and check a target after 20 or so carefully aimed shots.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jhnmdahl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 20" Krieger DCM barrel, in stainless steel with a .223 Wylde chamber cut to my bolt and bead blasted, was $450. A Varmatch version of the same thing fluted under the handguard would be maybe $600.

I'm sure there's some specialized purpose (military?) where the thermally conductive resin-impregnated carbon fiber wrap would be of benefit, but I can't imagine a situation where I as a recreational target shooter would fire at such a sustained rate much less still need sub-MOA accuracy. I also suspect the Krieger has it beat for accuracy given my tendency to stop and check a target after 20 or so carefully aimed shots. </div></div>
+1 Krieger over whatever this Co is using. I'd put $ that the kriegers are more accurate, as well as GAP 10's. It isn't spray n pray anymore, we now have accurate M4's and other ar's. Put a tube around all the barrels you want, it's what's inside that counts. If not then just put a cheap brrl, and put the pixie dust in. NOT A GAME CHANGER! just a money ripoff, for someone at barf.com to buy and brag. I don't see Mil. trading their uppers for this anytime soon.
BTW I never have had the sS brrl being "chrome lined" as said in the 1st post. Why? How? "Weaksauce"