• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tenacity or Nucleus

Would not set off primers. 500 rounds ran flawlessly on that barrel prior. Decided to quit on the first stage of day 2. I had kept the inside of bolt and firing pin clean and dry but apparently it couldn't go 100 rounds without being cleaned.

That sucks. I remember that being an issue when these actions first came out.

If you have an OG LA Mausingfield in the white does that get you top tier status? Asking for a friend.
Only if it takes savage large shank barrels.

I'm smitten with my Archimedes actions. If you ever need it, ARC customer service is top notch.

+1 for a Nuke. My gen1 has been through some dirty matches, always functioned flawlessly. original 16lb spring in it as well. The Barloc in addition to the Nuke made installing the barrel and setting headspace the easiest of any action I've used.
How did the nucleus fail
A 2 day match costs me approximately $1000 with match fees, ammo, gas, and hotel. The expense of the match was more than the action itself. My Nucleus failed me horribly at one of these last year and immediately got rid of it.

Switched to Impact but the Defiance actions I've felt are on par, even the tenacity.
how did the nucleus fail at the match?

Gotta put in the heavier spring. Same thing happened to me at a match.
This is true. I thought I was ok since it had worked for so long before the match. I also enjoyed the light bolt lift which was no longer the case with the heavier spring.

I was annoyed by the action being advertised as having a light bolt lift but that was only artificially achieved by significantly reducing spring weight and sacrificing reliability.

Reactions: rijndael
Would not set off primers. 500 rounds ran flawlessly on that barrel prior. Decided to quit on the first stage of day 2. I had kept the inside of bolt and firing pin clean and dry but apparently it couldn't go 100 rounds without being cleaned.

That sucks. I have the 19 pound spring in mine, and I think that problem was solved. Certainly was bad for ARC to release and make us testing subjects. I didn't bother me, but I see why you would sell it.

Light bolt lift, it is not.

I have a 19# and 21# spring coming in today. I can almost pick the rifle up with a 25#.

Mine came with the 19lb I believe. Initial lift is noticable, and one of the things I was not sure I liked. After a few rounds I dont notice it as much. I have considered going lighter but think I'll leave well enough alone, at least until after some load development.

This is true. I thought I was ok since it had worked for so long before the match. I also enjoyed the light bolt lift which was no longer the case with the heavier spring.

I was annoyed by the action being advertised as having a light bolt lift but that was only artificially achieved by significantly reducing spring weight and sacrificing reliability.

Same thing happened to me with the factory spring. Apparently the grease that was used (going from memory) wasn’t tested below 40F temps. I wasn’t having issues, but went to a match with 20F temps and had ZERO ignitions. I removed the grease and replaced the spring to the heavier one following the match, but then bolt manipulation was way too stiff. The action is now a trainer and used mostly for 223, with the lighter spring, but I have to be careful with primers. It won’t set off heavy cupped primers consistently. The mistake of releasing an action that wasn’t properly tested left a bad taste with me. The action “works”, but I’ll stick to Impacts and Defiance and possibly a Bighorn from here on out.

FWIW I ran my Gen 1 Nucleus (19lb, no lubrication inside bolt) for a few hundred rounds of 6.5CM American Gunner when it was 5deg outside - goodbye, ammo, and goodbye, toes - and had no issues.

If you want a R700 done right, get a tenacity. If you want new integration of old ideas plus some new ideas, get a nucleus. If you’re a fan of levers to unstick cases, get the Archimedes. If you want super lightweight plus reliable, get the Anti or AntiX. Lots of choices; purely depends what features you want.

Im a simple man. I see a Nucleus thread, I click and post pics. Happy owner of two Gen 1s. Both TT and OEM spring:

20200508_122702.jpg

I recently got a Nuc and finally have the rifle up and running. I guess I like weird actions. I don't have a "normal" bolt gun left in the safe (down to just three). My K31 is weird for obvious reasons. My KRG SOTIC and ARC Nuc are both three lug designs. I remember the SOTIC being heavy/stiff when new... it runs very nicely now, smooth and light. The Nuc seems to be getting better... I spend a lot of time just running the bolt. Basically, I'm wearing that action in. It's definitely smoothed out some, hopefully it lightens appreciably as well. For me, the ability to accept pre-fits and swap bolt heads were the must haves.