• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Teslong NTG450H Borescope

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Teslong NTG450H

The Teslong borescopes are often talked about on Sniper's Hide, so I decided to take a look at these inexpensive borescopes found on Amazon.

IMG_0074.jpeg

I found the unit well made, easy to operate, with enough resolution to get a good idea of what is going on inside your barrel. Now understand a borescope in the wrong hands is a very dangerous tool, so use caution. The inside of your barrel will look like the surface of the moon so don't jump before testing the accuracy of the rifle. But it can help diagnose a problem, identify a carbon ring, etc.

IMG_0071.jpeg

The company sent me this unit and with it they gave me a discount code for all the SH Members to use

20% OFF code: 20TSNTG450H
    Buy link: https://amzn.to/49kjiYE
    Code ends on 11.19th

Teslong NTG450H

The Teslong borescopes are often talked about on Sniper's Hide, so I decided to take a look at these inexpensive borescopes found on Amazon.

View attachment 8261924
    I found the unit well made, easy to operate, with enough resolution to get a good idea of what is going on inside your barrel. Now understand a borescope in the wrong hands is a very dangerous tool, so use caution. The inside of your barrel will look like the surface of the moon so don't jump before testing the accuracy of the rifle. But it can help diagnose a problem, identify a carbon ring, etc.

View attachment 8261922

The company sent me this unit and with it they gave me a discount code for all the SH Members to use

20% OFF code: 20TSNTG450H
    Buy link: https://amzn.to/49kjiYE
    Code ends on 11.19th

I have this exact unit and it works well to eval state of cleaning...what I use it for mostly.

The only thing I find a bit irritating is how you need to focus the side look mirrors by screwing them in/out with a tiny lock ring. Very small issue, but I'm easily irritated! haha

My first unit had an issue and Teslong replaced the entire kit....decent CS IMO. No problem with them at all.

Cheers

I have not ever used a discount code on Amazon. When I put it in, nothing seems to happen. Anyone got an idea ? I have the other one that plugs in your phone but I'm tired of having to use my phone and my phone case keeps the adapter from plugging in all the way so it's a pain. I'd rather have a monitor.

I have not ever used a discount code on Amazon. When I put it in, nothing seems to happen. Anyone got an idea ? I have the other one that plugs in your phone but I'm tired of having to use my phone and my phone case keeps the adapter from plugging in all the way so it's a pain. I'd rather have a monitor.
    I did it in the app. No problems there. You have to enter it twice. Go to payment/add code/swipe the button/enter the code/hit apply. It’ll take you to the payment screen when you’ll need to enter the code again. This is done on an iPhone.

Reactions: lash
    Yeah I tried in the app (android) and it didn't work even doing it multiple times. It worked the first time when I did it on desktop though.

I wonder what’s the difference between this 450H unit and the NTG500H:

I looked here and here and the only things I could figure out is that the 500H has:
    • Higher video rez
    • Of course a larger screen (but same rez)
    • 5 mirrors included vs 3
    • A larger battery
    • Maybe better weather sealing (who cares?)
    Not sure if the discount code works in the 500H.

They make a foldable model too, but I’d think that would be rather fragile.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    So, I emailed Teslong and asked about the differences (see above post). They said:

You are absolutely correct & have covered all of the differences between the 2 aforementioned display monitors. Otherwise, despite the aforementioned differences, the monitors perform identically.
    Admittedly, why our Engineering Team made this product decision has never been explained or justified, nonetheless these are our offered Borescope kit options.

They didn’t touch on the weather sealing, if any, on the 450H. But again, who cares

Well, the other salient difference is that the coupon code doesn’t work on the 500H. So the 450H it is!

Good tool for use with new barrels, lazy, fat machinists always leaving tooling marks.

Run a stainless steel brush as many times as it takes to get the barrel mirror polished and smooth. Verify with borescope, then you have yourself a shooter.

Good tool for use with new barrels, lazy, fat machinists always leaving tooling marks.

Run a stainless steel brush as many times as it takes to get the barrel mirror polished and smooth. Verify with borescope, then you have yourself a shooter.
    I’m no barrel maker, but @Frank Green owns Bartlein Barrels. He strongly recommends against using SS brushes (and CLR, and most abrasives). Especially with a drill lol (not saying you use a drill).

I know you probably mean regular factory barrels…but I don’t think Franks recce would change?

Here is one thread on that subject. Search for Franks posts for more.

Anyway, don’t want this thread to go off on a tangent, but didn’t want everyone racing off to buy SS brushes.

If it works for you, have at it.

Reactions: Frank Green
    SOTR showed a fiber optic light you can snake down the gas tube to really get a good look at that.

I have the $50 flexible borescope, I can use it either on my phone or tablet. I usually use the latter, since it has a much bigger screen.

Dear God, don't get Frank's guzzlers started. Oh wait, too late.

I’m no barrel maker, but @Frank Green owns Bartlein Barrels. He strongly recommends against using SS brushes (and CLR, and most abrasives). Especially with a drill lol (not saying you use a drill).

I know you probably mean regular factory barrels…but I don’t think Franks recce would change?

Here is one thread on that subject. Search for Franks posts for more.

Anyway, don’t want this thread to go off on a tangent, but didn’t want everyone racing off to buy SS brushes.

If it works for you, have at it.
    And David Tubb makes abrasive impregnated bullets. One makes good barrels, the other wins shooting matches. I don't mind if you follow Franks cleaning regiment, but please stop saying its the end all be all of shooting.

On that note, if youve never used a bore scope, buy one. Look at your barrel, then don't ask about fire cracking and pitting in your barrel. Shoot it and if it shoots well, you really have no questions.

but please stop saying its the end all be all of shooting.
    Not sure how Tubb got looped into this cleaning sidebar, nor how winning matches is directly correlated to cleaning? Setting Tubb aside; winning can be because of a whole host of things, and a winner can do things that hurt his changes of winning (or just hurt his bore)…but still win nonetheless.

Think of the baseball pitcher than won’t change his underwear while on a winning streak. Rituals can be a strange thing. Maybe the ritual produces a mindset that helps winning? While his teammates (or barrels) suffer?

I apologize if I came across as some sort of end all be all “cleaner of barrels.” I’m far from it.

Concede, I will, that at the highest level of competition, microscopic differences between competitors might make one the winner and the other the loser. Those people probably don’t care how long barrels last…they want to win at almost any cost.

I don’t play that game. I like to shoot living things. There’s no prize, and no competitors. One moment I laugh at varmint body parts blowing apart, and the next I feel sorry for the little buggers.

But I do prefer to keep a barrel shooting for as long as possible.

My argument is that I side with the one that seems to have nothing to sell, cleaning wise. In fact, Mr. Green would seem to be incentivized to recommend destructive cleaning regimens, for it would sell more barrels.

But he doesn’t recommend those things, and he no doubt sells fewer barrels for it.

Why would he do that, you think?

Last edited:
    My argument is that I side with the one that seems to have nothing to sell, cleaning wise. In fact, Mr. Green would seem to be incentivized to recommend destructive cleaning regimens, for it would sell more barrels.

But he doesn’t recommend those things, and he no doubt sells fewer barrels for it.

Why would he do that, you think?
    I just had a ammo maker about 2 months ago ask me... "We want to cut down on scrubbing time.... what do I think of SS brushes etc...?"

I said, "Don't do it!" You will wreck the barrels!!!!!!

Then in my next sentence I said, "Have at it... but I'll guarantee you will be buying more barrels period!"

The ammunition test barrels are more money vs buying a barrel blank.

Later, Frank

I took this as sarcasm.

Thanks Frank. I picked one up. I’ll have to see how it works out.

These are quite good, I use the Wifi versions you can pair with a phone. In this day and age for under $100 there's no reason not to own one. There's no way to know if your cleaning routine is working if you can't see in the barrel. That said of course some barrels shoot great but look horrible. I have a Clark S&W 41 barrel that pictures of the barrel interior would make a goat puke but it shoots 1/2" groups at 50yds out of a ransom rest. It can also help identify real problems in barrels that explain poor shooting, but not everything that looks bad really is. The key word being real problems.

I'm sure barrel/gun companies hate them, because they can no longer get away with really ugly barrel interiors.