• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Texas Brigade Armory

Slapchop

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2009
New York
Hello folks, a quick intro about myself. I'm from NY, been in the LE field for about 10 years now. Prior to that I did 4 years active in the USMC as a 0331 and did a pistol marksmanship instructor.

That being said, this is a great site with tons of useful info on a variety of topics.

The question I have for anyone that might care to answer is, have any of yall dealt with the company Texas Brigade Armory? I know they've been around for quite some time but I'm curious to know if anyone has had any experience with them be it positive or negative.

You guys have tons more knowledge then I ever will so hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Again, thanks.

Re: Texas Brigade Armory

they build a very good stick but the wait times are herendous. I dont own a stick from them bad have heard good and bad reviews about them. Search around here for them and you will find some detailed stuff

When, and I did say <span style="text-decoration: underline">when</span>, you get your rifle from them it will be about as good as it can get. I've been to mikes shop, he has done a little work for me. He is very, very precise and does it all by himself except for maybe really "small" details (like mounting a scope or touching up some paint). Really anal about how meticulous he is. He'll spend hours on somethings just to make it as close to perfect as he can........ That's why it takes so long..

If you can stand waiting about a year or two for a complete rifle build then give him a call, and get in line.

Buy one used. There are several on Gunbroker. Mike lou makes a very good rifle, I have a M25 and a M40A1.

They make good guns. I have shot a few and all were top-notch. I can't speak for the wait times but being used to custom 1911s a year is not that bad. I am on a couple of lists that are 6 years out.

TBA has one of the best reputations out there, but I think the owner (Mike Lau) is a one man shop. Also, I think he bumps priority of build to deploying soldiers and Marines and/or law enforcement (as it should be). So, very long wait times are typical.

Google GAP, just as reputable a builder. GAP is very popular among members on this site...and that's quite an endorsement.

I also had a rifle built by TacticalRifles.com. Took about 10 months, but the wait was worth it. It was only a month longer than the stated time, and I was forewarned that deploying soldiers / Marines can sometimes bump timelines in an effort to get them a rifle ASAP. I'm okay with that.

TacticalRifles has a mixed bag of feedback on this site. For me, I ended up with a rifle I'm very happy with and had great customer service.

Good luck on your custom build!

I have an M40A3, built by Mike Lou about a year ago. It is a fantastic rifle. He guarantees 1/4 MOA and delivers; however, the wait is very long. Over a year for mine. At this point I can say it was worth the wait, but during that time is was frustrating. He gives discounts to active service members and probably to LE. Super nice guy, but his skills are in high demand. I would recommend purchasing a prior owned version, or going with GA precision, they also build a beautiful stick.

I shoot a TBA rifle in 260, and Mike did an awesome job on mine. Perfect in every aspect, and it will shoot! 1/4 MOA rifles are what you get. Like stated, the wait times are long, but worth it. Mike knows his stuff, and will build you a good rifle.

Slapchop,

TBA will deliver a very solid rifle. Mike is a one man show and does very, very good work. If you get a rifle from him, you know exactly whose paws were on the work the whole time.

He is not slow, just very busy. There is a big difference. It may not take 10 months to build a rifle but it may take 9 1/2 months to get the ones in front of yours shipped. I have no clue on his backlog. Just using those numbers as examples.

Work out the exact specs you want and then leave it alone. Changes to the order or 3 calls a week to check on your build are schedule killers for everyone involved.

Good luck with him. I think you will be happy.

Terry

Guys thanks for all the info and replies. A couple mentioned GAP which I'm now in the process of researching.

I haven't come to a decision yet but I'm looking for something along the lines of an M40A1 build. I'll keep yall posted.

Again, thanks.

Mike put together an ar15 upper for me. First class guy and first class work. We are lucky to have such great smiths in dfw.

Just picked up my rifle from mike a couple weeks ago.
I waited 22 months for it but i new about the long wait times he has so it doesnt realy bother me.
i would say he is a first class guy in my experiance dealing with him, i called him up one day to ask him a few questions and he invited me to his shop, so i drove up a weeks later and sat down with him and picked his brain on what platform would be most suitable for me. So we started with a speck M40-A1 and made changes here and there till i wound up with what it was that i wanted.
He has 2 guys working for him now but i think they do the more simple work for him such as the gun coatings etc.

Texas Brigade Armory make good rifles. From what I have been told htat is. The only problem with that company is that that there is only one guy that makes them. Takes forever to have anything done.

I prefer GA Precison.

As everyone before said, he does very nice work (even if it does take a while to get it back). He did the clip-slotting on my M40 receiver for me and I was very pleased with how it came out.

005-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CIB PERCENT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also make a good Drag Bag.</div></div>
TBA makes good stuff, but I don't think bags are Lau's specialty. You might have your Mike's mixed up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: matchking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CIB PERCENT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They also make a good Drag Bag.</div></div>
You might have your Mike's mixed up. </div></div>

There does seem to be quite a few in the business.