• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Texas State Bolt Rifle Championship

Re: Texas State Bolt Rifle Championship

What's JBM??
wink.gif

Whew thanks for that Geordie. I feel better knowing I can rely on my FTE dope ..... Hopefuy we can take out phones to the line during the UKD or I am screwed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whew thanks for that Geordie. I feel better knowing I can rely on my FTE dope ..... Hopefuy we can take out phones to the line during the UKD or I am screwed. </div></div>

You are screwed! Should have read the emails.

I knew there was a reason I wasn't supposed to delete them right away ....... Looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Kevin will rent his milldot master for a nominal fee or outlandish fee not sure

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mick265</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kevin will rent his milldot master for a nominal fee or outlandish fee not sure </div></div>

How much?

My sarcasm is lost in the internet translation. I will be fine with my mildot master ...... Ninja on the other hand will be frantically doing math with a pen and piece of paper.

You horrific fuckers. Why am I being sent pictures of this trophy about to cross the Red River?

photo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You horrific fuckers. Why am I being sent pictures of this trophy about to cross the Red River?

photo.jpg

</div></div>That's F'n CLASSIC!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You horrific fuckers. Why am I being sent pictures of this trophy about to cross the Red River?

photo.jpg

I just threw up in my mouth again!!

</div></div>

That is fucking wrong! Congrats John, you earned it, but that bitch belongs in Texas!

1 John Sommers
T2 Wade Stuteville
T2 Rich Emmons
4 Patrick Morris
5 Ninja Pirtle

If I recall correctly 19 stages, right at 100 rounds. It was a great match. We will get pictures posted tomorrow.

Mick

Kevin ran a great match. It was fast action, challenging stages and a great venue. There was little down time which was very nice. We blew through the stages and were done by 3:00 or so. The stages were well thought out and flowed nicely together. They broke us into two groups and each group shot a different stage, yet we were all at the same location so it was nice to be able see everyone shoot and chat with everybody all day long. We spent most of the morning prone and the afternoon on barricades and positional shooting with a few prone stages. There were a lot of great stages, I will have to go through the handout again and post up a couple of my favorite ones.

Great job Kevin, fantastic match and thanks for letting us shoot at your place. I look forward to the next one.

By the way, one hit separated the top 3 shooters, ya'll shot great. To bad the trophy was defiled by leaving the promised land.

It was a super competition, challenging very well organized and really a dream place to shoot from, Thanks to Kevin for the hospitality and hard effort in putting this on so we can play on your grounds. It was a tight battle all the way to the end. I got off to early lead but ran out of luck by the end. John passed me by one point going into the Kyl and was Wade had gained enough pts to tie me if he hit all his Kyl's. I hit three of four kyl's at 450 and thought for a second that could be enough force john to miss one ( which didn't happen) and force Wade to hit all four ( which did happen). everybody was pulling for everybody at the end to make good shots. It was very nerve racking to sit there and watch shooters edge each other out by going for a 3" piece of steel at 450 yards.
Wade and I had a pig style shoot- out for second, and his call was a sitting shot at 300 yards at a 4x6 piece of steel in which he hit and I answered back, then I took it to 1100 yds on a 2 Moa target and the wind fooled us both.
Then we took it to the dueling tree and ending on a 3" inch flash target, fastest to clear the tree and make the popper flash wins, I don't think it could of finished any closer and both are flashers were in the air at the same time but his got the earlier rise. It was awesome to say the least. The only bright spot of losing for me his Dustin and I hedged are bets in the Calcutta and had Wade and John working for us all day. So we split the $750 Calcutta.

Big props for Patrick for battling back and getting 4th, had he went for the last Kyl and hit we woulda had a three way tie. Also he won the single elimination fastest bolt on the dueling tree side match beating the fastest bolt in the west john summers in the finals. Patrick also won the side match we had the day before.
Here is some pics I had.

a617bec8-1.jpg

c54f6586.jpg

c3b0bd9e.jpg

1dcc868d.jpg

16b9b1f5.jpg

da462ea6.jpg

Also another thing I liked about Kevins scoring and would like to see more of from other match directors was the scoring it was so simple, one hit on steel = one point. Ya some stages had ten targets some only one target hitting it again again, but every shot counted equally and could not be made up.
I think we get lost in ipsc style scoring or 100 pt or even 500 pt stages there seems to be a lack of consistency for the value of the target. This seems like the best way to do it, just something to think about MD's.

Son of a bitch.....
The ""Texas" Bolt Championship was won by an Okie!:)

Congratulation to John!

Two Okies and a Cajun in the top four?

Sounds like us Texans need to quit drinking and start practicing...:)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Son of a bitch.....
The ""Texas" Bolt Championship was won by an Okie!:)

Congratulation to John!

Two Okies and a Cajun in the top four?

Sounds like us Texans need to quit drinking and start practicing...:)
</div></div>

Luck's, Texan's would of had a better chance if they would have just showed up!! Several backed out or just didn't show up. Ninja Pirtle choked in the morning but was giving them a run for the money in the afternoon!! He's still here practicing.....

Mick

16b9b1f5.jpg

There was an undisclosed hole in the pipe, Ninja Pirtle stayed there for at least 15 minutes and really slowed the stage down.

Here are a few pictures. I'll post more to my website when I get back to Dallas. Still here trying to keep Pirtle off the pipes!

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

I hate that I missed this...nice shooting all.

Looks like you all had a great match. Congrats to the okies.

Let me get this straight....The Texas state championship trophy went to Oklahoma,The money went to Louisiana.
What does that leave Texas???

I just wanted to say thanks to Kevin for a great match. You have great piece of property. I thought the match was fantastic! The only time we really stopped was to eat. I had a good time, and atleast got to watch other people shoot good.

Zach

I also wanted to send out a big pat on the back to Elpers. He ran a awesome match that was allot of fun. To make things better the range was in great shapeand at a awesome location. Mick the Tennessee Stud and Kevin ran it very well. He topped it off with Great food and hospitality. There is no question allot of work went into this match and it certainly showed. Everyone at the match was nice and helpful whenever they could be and us guys who are getting started in this style comp. we appreciate and will remember that. I would shoot this match again tomorrow if I could. Great Job! and Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich Emmons</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also another thing I liked about Kevins scoring and would like to see more of from other match directors was the scoring it was so simple, one hit on steel = one point. Ya some stages had ten targets some only one target hitting it again again, but every shot counted equally and could not be made up.
I think we get lost in ipsc style scoring or 100 pt or even 500 pt stages there seems to be a lack of consistency for the value of the target. This seems like the best way to do it, just something to think about MD's.
</div></div>

While I wasn't there, I like the simple scoring as well. We've done it several different ways and have now gone back to the 2-1 scoring on our match. Simple is better....especially if you mathmatically challenged like me.

Congrats to John!!! The Texans might not open this thing up to out of staters next year!

I would like especially thank Mick "The Tennessee Stud" for helping me out. He flew in at his own expense, helped me set targets, mow, and prepare for the match. Then he spent all day Saturday keeping you fools from killing anyone. Sunday he was up bright and early helping me pick up targets and clean up from the match. Mick, you are a great friend, thanks.

I would also like to recognize Tom and Lauren for helping us all day on the range with spotting and scoring. There were several spectators that also stepped up and helped out with lunch. My thanks to them. Finally, I want to thank my wife Ellen for going out of her way to bring us dinner and totaling and double/triple checking the scores.

It was a great match with the exception of having to see the Texas trophy crossing the Red River! John, you shot awesomely and deserved to take it back.

Thanks as well to all of the shooters for shooting a safe match.

We'll do it again next year, if not sooner.

While I didn't solicit sponsors for this match, Matt Burkett of Predator Tactical gave each participant a $500 discount off of a gun build. Matt, Thanks for your support.

PTLogowtagline.jpg

Thanks as well to Geordie Richardson with Outback Welding. Geordie supplied several of the targets used in the match.

OBW.jpg

For some more match photos go to:

The Rifle Ranch

Go to the photo section and choose the albums for the match.

Those of you that missed it missed a very fun match. It was as well run as any match that I have ever shot. A few things that set this match apart from many others were:

Two squads shot opposite each other at different cof's but with very similar time requirements. This allowed us to shoot non-stop except to eat.

Kevin issued each competitor a book with the cof for each stage, a place to record the stage score, and running score. Not only did this help to confirm scores, but made the last stage (kyl) much more fun. KYL takes on a whole new meaning compared to shooting it in the morning.

As has already been mentioned, scoring was simple enough for even me to follow( well, almost).

This was a very rounded match with prone, positional, slow fire, speed, and a little crazy stuff thrown in.

With Tom, Mick, and Lauren RO'ing everything went very smooth. They are professionals.

Thanks, Kevin and the crew for all of your hard work and thought that was put into the match. It showed.

Nice work "pre", great mojo. Keep taking their money and prizes.

For you Texan's that missed out on this match, you missed a great one!!! The stages where set up so that they were very challanging but hittable. I think the winner (John) hit about 70% of the targets.
The scoring that was used was easy to score and each shooter could keep track of there own score in the book that wa provided by the match director, Kevin. The books were one of the best I have seen at a match. Each course of fire was explained in detail which allowed the match to move along at a faster pace because there were very few questions, everything was right there in black and white.

Top 10 shooters

1. John Sommers
2. Wade Stuteville
3. Richard Emmons
4. Patric Morris
5. Nathan Pirtellie
6. Dustin Morris
7. Jonathan Berry
8. Zach Scurlock
9. Matt Perry
10/11. Eddy Clark
10/11. Chase Stroud

There was a tie for 2nd between Suteville and Emmons. They basically played a game of horse (like b-ball) selecting targets and Stuteville won by the smallest of margin.

Matt gave another of his classic safety speaches and not a sole was injured.

Great job by all the competitors!

Mick

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mick265</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The books were one of the best I have seen at a match. Each course of fire was explained in detail which allowed the match to move along at a faster pace because there were very few questions, everything was right there in black and white.</div></div>

Sounds like a good idea for all major matches.

Kevin & Mick did a fantastic job running this match. It was certainly one of, if not the, smoothest matches I have been fortunate enough to attend. As Wade stated above, we shot 2 relays for most of the match and we were shooting at the same time with the same time limit in a different field of fire. Once one area was exhausted of targets the squads switched positions and performed the stages the other squad had just completed. With the stages running the same time limit there was very little down time. I really liked having the stages move so quickly. It makes it almost impossible to text information to a buddy on another line – there was not time for that crap and I love it. The time limits for each stage ranged from having a decent amount of time to having damn near not enough time to get ‘re done. I really liked the time allotted as it made the shooter hustle. The scoring was great – simple and easy for even me to add up throughout the day and have a log of where I was and how I got there. UKD stages were done perfect with enough time – but not too much – to mil the targets and calculate your dope. Target sizes were also excellent. Sometimes I see matches with targets so small that a beginning shooter will only get 10-20% of the hits – who would want to come back to do that again? The afternoon was the best part of the competition – I think there was only one stage after lunch that allowed for a typical prone. The rest was shooting off of different props -- tires, barrels, concrete culverts, concrete steps, a boat and a rope – not to mention a wooden “box” to have to shoot some not-so comfortable positions. These were challenging and under strict time – doable but you had to have your shit together.

The accommodations were great – bunk house if you will. This place is nicer than my house. We were very well taken car of, water was always available and the food was done very well. The scores were tallied in the afternoon and checked & rechecked & then checked again.

Thanks Kevin & Mick – you guys ran a great, fun, and safe match and I hope to be invited south of the Red River again. I put this match at the top of my list – high fun factor!!!

Sorry for rambling – I have diarrhea of the mouth sometimes.
Later,
John Sommers

Wow, tight match!
Hangman must have been a tough stage...

The Hangman stage was hard. It was a rope with a hangman's noose hanging from a tree limb that you had to slide your gun through and shoot from there. The target was a 10" circle (I believe) at 315 yards. The tricky part wasn't so much the noose as it was the 10mph winds blowing you all around. It was a fun and challenging stage.

Thanks to all of the competitors that have posted about the match. It is nice to hear good things about the match from guys with as much match experience as you all!

Nothing we did was brand new or completely unique. Just took several things that I liked best from the matches that I have attended. Looks as if we have come upon a successful formula for future matches.

In regards to that, we are planning a match in early October that will be similar to this one with a maximum of 40 shooters. If you missed this one, then you'll have another chance. We will make a post as soon as the dates are confirmed.

We may even let the OK and LA guys back in, but don't expect to carry all the loot and hardware home this time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, tight match!
Hangman must have been a tough stage... </div></div>

I guess I got carried away on this one a little! The wind was blowing, and the limb the noose was hanging from was blowing up an down a couple of inches.

I shot it testing the stage and could not even get on the target. However, I went into a standing position with no support from the noose, and hit 2 of 4. No one did that in the match to my surprise.

Blklabs was the closest to a free standing position, by locking into his sling and pushing the noose to the side. He hit 2, while only one other competitor hit 2.

I guess it is good to have one ridiculous stage in a match. Wait until the revenge of the hammock!!

How convenient, shoot from a hammock, then take a nap in it, I'm down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boss</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, tight match!
Hangman must have been a tough stage... </div></div>

I guess I got carried away on this one a little! The wind was blowing, and the limb the noose was hanging from was blowing up an down a couple of inches.

I shot it testing the stage and could not even get on the target. However, I went into a standing position with no support from the noose, and hit 2 of 4. No one did that in the match to my surprise.

Blklabs was the closest to a free standing position, by locking into his sling and pushing the noose to the side. He hit 2, while only one other competitor hit 2.

I guess it is good to have one ridiculous stage in a match. Wait until the revenge of the hammock!! </div></div>

It's Ok we all had the same shot. It was equally hard for everyone. I know I do not get out of my comfort zone on my home range. It's good to challenge shooters.