• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Thank You Leo Conring! Warning Pic Heavy.

Tickle

Exhale....Squeeze
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Georgia
I would just like to give a big thank you to Leo Conring for building me this fine rifle, along with Garry Schneider for giving me his contact information. I originally planned on doing a full spec "M40A1" but changed my mind when I found the price and availability of the US Optics MST-100 was less than desirable. Just a little background on Leo, he is a retired Marine Corps sniper, was a 2112 armorer who worked at Quantico and trained with Eric Reid building the M40A1's. The fit and finish of this rifle is unbelievable! Here are the components that "I" chose for my build. ENJOY!

Remington "A" suffix 6 digit action fully trued and clipslotted
Short bolt shroud
M40A1 Trigger with correct safety set at 2 lbs
Schneider stainless M40A1 1:12 twist 24" barrel measured from the recoil lug
DD Ross REM 700/M40A3 recoil lug
DD Ross NSN 1005-01511-8398 USMC M1 TRIGGERGUARD
DD Ross 30 moa lugged base
All metal cerakoted graphite black
McMillan M40A1-HTG stock/forest camo/Sniper fill/ Wichita swivels / brown decelerator pad / machined pillars installed
All of the correct parts stamped with the last 4 digits of the action SN

Basically it's a spec M40A3 in a M40A1 stock, but who cares! I love it, by the way it's .308 Win. I plan on mounting a Nightforce 5.5-22x 50mm Hi-Speed Side Focus in Badger ordnance steel std height rings.

Enjoy the pics!

VbnoQNl.jpg

b47Xc2u.jpg

83F17mi.jpg

vIs726s.jpg

mWEvToh.jpg

r5gPGGq.jpg

23uWCnq.jpg

gN167I4.jpg

Last edited:
Here's some of the build pics. His work is top shelf. Thank you again and may God Bless you and yours.

ysdS53E.jpg

He put all of the parts together so that I could see what it was gonna look like.
D1ukJkL.jpg

Bedding the action
C8nOlL7.jpg

jbnse3D.jpg

Before machining the bedding
GSL1jrH.jpg

sjJgB7I.jpg

Almost done
72gTJmb.jpg

Awesome
yXT9RkG.jpg

Leo's signature is one of a kind!
UioDFLO.jpg

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of shooting some of Sgt. Conring's rifles when I was in the Corps. He does outstanding work. I am very happy to see him building more M-40s, A1s or A3s, A3/5s, or whatever they're up to now. He knows how to build a very good rifle.

I'm sure it'll shoot as good as it looks. Congrats on a great build.

I appreciate the comments guys. If anyone is looking for another Eric Reid to do their next build and proceed with confidence this is your guy. These kind of smiths are very few and far between, I am HONORED to have a rifle built by him. If anyone is interested in a spec build or anything else here is Leo's contact information:

Without Hesitation this is your guy!
Leo Conring
196 Hightower Falls Road
Cedartown, GA. 30125

Cell (770) 755-2879

Last edited:
Beautiful! Love to see how it shoots, please let us know.

I will but it looks like it will be around March of 14 when I get the funds for the scope. I'm sure that everyone knows how it is after Christmas. I'll post pics as soon as I get it on paper.

Also, I apologize for the jpegs images that take so long to load, I haven't figured out how to post pics that are already in the post without having to click on them.

I use imgur.com, copy the BCC code and paste it to your post like this pic of my Sightron 8-32 tactical, a scope you might consider, wink.
cVtvmNO.jpg

Leo is a good dude. I have a friend that knows him real well and speaks very highly of him. im glad to see him building these so people can enjoy the talent he has been given. I hear hes a Purdy handy shooter as well. super excited for him. congrats to you as well tickle

Leo is incredibly talented and knowledgeable , he's cooking up something for me as we speak……

Can't wait to see how your's shoots Tickle, rifle looks outstanding!!!! I'm figuring to be down in GA in March also to pick them up, looking forward to it tremendously

I use imgur.com, copy the BCC code and paste it to your post like this pic of my Sightron 8-32 tactical, a scope you might consider, wink.
cVtvmNO.jpg

I appreciate the information, I got it fixed. I'm still sold on the Nightforce though. After putting one on my Scalpel I couldn't think of getting anything else.

Thanks again....Tickle

Last edited:
There are but few rifles in the world that have the flowing lines, crispness, and attitude of an M40A1.

Beautiful piece.

what is the contour of your barrel, or is straight taper?

Beautiful rifle.

what is the contour of your barrel, or is straight taper?

Beautiful rifle.
When I ordered it I just told Garry Schneider that I wanted a spec USMC M40A1 barrel, don't know what contour it is. You can shoot Garry an E-mail or give him a call and he can tell you. SCHNEIDER RIFLE BARRELS

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful....

There are but few rifles in the world that have the flowing lines, crispness, and attitude of an M40A1.

Beautiful piece.

I think you are correct sir! That's why this was the platform that I chose.

Sweet looking rifle! I've got your Nightforce for sale in the Optics section... if you're interested. Regardless, let us know how it shoots when you get it all setup.

Sweet looking rifle! I've got your Nightforce for sale in the Optics section... if you're interested. Regardless, let us know how it shoots when you get it all setup.

I'll check it out and I'll post pics when I get it on paper.

Thanks

Wow!! That is a beautiful rifle! That rifle is just classy. If you don't mind me asking, what was the out the door price on it?

I don't think I can post that here. You can price all the components that I have listed, that will give you a good idea. I supplied just about all the parts and Leo did all of the work. Some of the parts are hard to come by, the 6 digit action, trigger, tall safety, and short bolt shroud. Leo had all of the hard to find stuff.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Last edited: