• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing "The 338's are breeding me thinks" build thread(s)

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Lets see, we have:

4x 338 Lapua Magnums
    1x 338 Rogue
    2x 338 Edges

Good lord!

This one is a 338 Rogue. Its a "dewlin banjo" with the 300 Norma were working on. Two buddies out in OH ready to lock horns and ding plates at ridiculous distances.

This gun also started with another well known shop. The owner became disenchanted and had the stuff sent our way. Hopefully we'll make him a happy camper and she'll shoot really well.

Let it be plainly stated that we are not above taking bribes to ensure one gun out performs the other.
    smile.gif
    smile.gif

So, here she is. Starting with a Stiller TAC 338 receiver, a Medium Palma contour barrel on roids, and a Manners stock.

This is getting to be a reoccurring theme around here.

Enjoy!

C.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Running the barrel channel now. Soon as its done we'll post some more.

Re: "The 338's are breeding me thinks" build thread(s)

looking great as usual.

one question, what are you doing to get all the fiberglass out of your machine before running coolant again? i do the shop vac thing but it still seems i miss enough that i end up with some gummy mess once the coolant starts flowing again.

edit: or, are you running a dedicated machine for stock work?

Robert,

I wish I had a dedicated machine for this chit.

My coolant tank is on wheels. We scrape it out of the chip tray, vacuum, the move the tank, stick a bucket under it, and rinse with a hose. The vac again and again, and again. . .

Sux. . .

If I don't my coolant looks like white gravy which really sucks cause of what the chit costs!

Someday we'll get a dedicated stock machine.

Here's phase two of this inlet.

We want this bugger to be a pig. It's going from safe, to truck, to bench, and vise versa.

The idea here is to machine two cavities and fill with lead shot/epoxy. Then we'll machine the barrel channel/inlet again to clean it up and have a pristine finish.

Haven't done this in awhile so its pretty cool. Everyone wants lighter these days. Not too often we get a dedicated bag gun anymore.

Were at exactly 1lb of lead shot.

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

Chad, whats that stuff you use to fill up the stock with it looks great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Were at exactly 1lb of lead shot.

DSC_0042.jpg
    </div></div>

This thing has OFFICIALLY become a "shot gun".

I can predict lead ALL AROUND the targets!!!!!

Lookin' good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinzmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You doing this manually or is the mill on a program? </div></div>

99.9% of our stock work is done via CNC mill. I write code specific to each action being used.

Instead of a file and scraper, I grab a mic and a computer mouse.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, whats that stuff you use to fill up the stock with it looks great. </div></div>

We switched brands of resin/filler last week. So far were diggin the results too.

Stuff is harder than a whore's heart when machining it. Nice n tough.

Chad,
    Is the Multi-cam on that stock paint or a hydro dip? It looks really nice.
    Jack

Very nice Chad ! Awesome work as always.

What is the lead shoot for? This is not a stupid ? Sence I am asking it.

Very Cool

But... That RC Plane is badass!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

</div></div>

Hot damn that was funny !!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the lead shoot for? This is not a stupid ? Sence I am asking it. </div></div>
    To make the whole gun heavier and to sit in the bags nice.

As usual, beautiful work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    Let it be plainly stated that we are not above taking bribes to ensure one gun out performs the other.
    smile.gif
    smile.gif

</div></div>

I'll bet you could get a higher bid on ensuring which rifle got deliverd before the other
    laugh.gif

I'm sure someone will post the match results of the duel
    wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mikki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, whats that stuff you use to fill up the stock with it looks great. </div></div>

We switched brands of resin/filler last week. So far were diggin the results too.

</div></div>
    Thanks Chad, thats exactly what I thought it was alright, I must get some of that.

DSC_0046.jpg

I never realized how big your R/C planes are until this photo.

Do you use fumed silica in your epoxy when building up large areas?

that's a "little one"
    smile.gif

You should see the 43%'r that I've yet to start on.

130" wing on that bugger. 250cc 5 cylinder radial engine! Over 40lbs all up weight.

As for fillers. You guys would chit if you knew what we used.

Not telling.
    smile.gif

Not telling.
    smile.gif

</div></div>

Sawdust, huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's a "little one"
    smile.gif

You should see the 43%'r that I've yet to start on.

130" wing on that bugger. 250cc 5 cylinder radial engine! Over 40lbs all up weight.

Not telling.
    smile.gif

</div></div> Give me a few more pics of the shop Chad amd I will find out.
    wink.gif
    You need to stay out of the PPG store with the Shopline products and good call on the Evercoat 100416 putty on the shelf. Good product! I would send you one to build if you bought your paint products from our company!!! Awesome work by the way. If ever I make enough to build a 338 Snipe Tac it will be from your shop. Tommy

DSC_0004.jpg

We have a brake! Just finished it. I'd of taken a pile of photos making it but 6 customers all walked in at once and started spending money. Wasn't expecting that so I'm behind the curve of today's agenda now.

Putting the glitz on the barrel/brake, then we'll photograph, assemble and go shoot these buggers. Too nice a day to be stuck in the shop anyway!

Later!

C.

Here's the final touches on the 338 Lapua Rogue.

Just shot it a little bit ago. Chamber looks great. She's ready to ship! Woo Hoo! One more down.

The owner has an important match to make. So were delivering unfinished. Paint/coating will be handled afterwards.

Should be a shooter!

C.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

You guys did a great job on this rifle I can't wait to get it and shoot it thanks guys

Maybe I missed it before but what kind of bottom metal are these rifles getting?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308MAUS3R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I missed it before but what kind of bottom metal are these rifles getting? </div></div>

The multicam Rogue is a single shot so, it just has a trigger guard.

Chad and garrett you two did great on this build I love this gun. If anyone is looking for someone to build them a new rifle I would definley recommend these guys they are great to work with and will help you with any questions you have. Thanks guys.

Thanks Zak.

We had quite a bit of fun with this one. Jim's as well. Can't wait to get it back from the pinstriper guy this week so we can wrap it up too.

For those interested, Zak sent me this test tgt last week (Friday I think).

2011-09-16_16-51-07_821.jpg

4x shots@100 measured .305" while fireforming brass. (338 Rogue is along the same lineage as an Ackley Improved cartridge)

Good stuff.

Were 2 for 2 so far. Going to be shooting a 338 LM this morning. Loading ammo now. Hope to make it 3/3! I gotta make a good show. My parents are in town and have never seen this stuff in action before.

C.

We had the gun out at Thunder Valley Precision yesterday to shoot the Intimidator and Zac shot a personal best with it. He even let me pull the trigger on it 3 times. What a pal.

Nice work Chad.

Thanks Jim.

On that note we just got done shooting another rifle and we stopped by the pinstriper/airbrush guy's shop. He's a few miles down the street. The stock is now blue, cleared, and color sanded in preparation for him to work his magic. He'll have it wrapped up by week's end likely. Then some more clear coat will go on it. Then bake/buff/polish.

It's gonna be a perty one me thinks!

Here's the latest.

Just finished shooting another gent's 338LM for record. Here's the test target. #1, #2 are the first pair from a freshly cleaned bore. Remaining 5x are for record.

roycetolley001.jpg

Nice when stuff works.
    smile.gif

C.

The Lapua Rogues are great shooters,had a couple built a number of years back for me and a friend of mine,and they were lasers.
    One was 37 degree TN (Rogue) and the other 40 degree with a 370 neck.
    Reamers were by Dave Kiff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chad, why didn't you shoot 3-7x on a different dot to clearly delineate the "record" group? </div></div>

I test guns to evaluate performance prior to delivery. I don't get too fixated on making the paper "pretty" just for the sake of being pretty. I only loaded 15 rounds for this gun. The first 8 went to shooting/cleaning to wear in the barrel. Once the patches looked good, we shot for record.

7 cadenced shots from a clean bore tells me the "worse case" scenario. All seven of these rounds were shot in under a minute also.

It becomes a sort of safety net. If for instance the customer calls back in two weeks telling me he's only printing a minute of pie plate, I have some reasonable assurance that he's either not shooting the rifle well or has an optics/ammunition problem.

The other issue is time. Range testing is to evaluate the rifle. Unless a client specifically requests it, we don't work up tailored loads for each rifle. As anyone knows that is a very time and labor intensive process. I break in the barrel, shoot for record, and get back to the shop as quickly as I can. As it is we burn up a morning with two guns. It's 40 minutes of driving just to shoot.

I'd rather have a test tgt that looked mediocre(yet passes for an accurate rifle) and have the owner post up the bugholer than the other way around.

I got to shoot the Rogue today and it is definatley a nice rifle. The Fat Bastard brake makes it pretty pleasant when you consider the cartridge you are firing. It has less recoil than my 7mmRM equipped with a suppressor.

Unfortunately for Zac this cool rifle just wasn't enough. Jim managed to kick his ass with a Lawton built .243AI. Looking forward to seeing Jim's .300 Norma as well. Come on Chad, there's only another month of our shooting season to go here as far as matches go.

I'm really not looking forward to having to shoot against these rifles you're building them...... You can stop building them if you'd like
    wink.gif

Awesome craftsmanship.

Good Luck,
    Merritt