• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Appleseed Project

MGySgtScott

Private
Minuteman
OK,
I would like to know what you all think about the Appleseed Project. I have yet to attend one of the events but I am sure you all have an Opinion of what they teach and other info.

Thanks in Advance to any who share what they have seen and know.
Master Guns Scott

Re: The Appleseed Project

The Appleseed project is a marksmanship training program that all ages, skill levels and shooting types can gain something from. They teach basic marksmanship the stuff that a lot of us have forgot about.

The 6 steps to firing the shot.
1.Sight alaingment
2.Sight picture
3. Respitory pause
4a. focus your eye on the front sight
4b. Focus your mind on keeping the sight on the target
5. Trigger squeeze
6. Follow through, mental snapshot/ hold trigger

You will learn about NPOA (Natural Point Of Aim) and how to establish it and move NPOA onto the intended target.

You will learn proper shooting positions Prone unsuported, sitting and standing and the proper use of a sling.

Youwill also learn some very seldom taught history centered around the events of April 19 1775. Where the Revolutionary war started, who fired the first shot and how we know this. The valuable role that marksmanship played in our history.

By the end of the weekend you will be able to make hits on man sized targets out to 500 meters with open sights, using a rack grade rifle and surplus ammo.

Don't shrug it off as short distance training as most of the training is done at 25meters and with a .22 preferable (for ammo cost reasons). There is a reason for this ans you will be be learning talking targets as well, and walking back and forth 25 meters rather than 500 makes for more shooting time.

I had been shooting all my life 45 years old now, 11.5 years in the Army, a Drill Sergeant and been to a few training classes when I went to my first Appleseed. I thought I knew how to shoot, I was surprized at what I didn't know, forgot or just didn't think it mattered. But with the training I recieved at Appleseed I am a much better shooter and more prepared for any other shooting class that I will take in the future. It is the best $70 I have ever spent for training by far. I have taken my whole family through the class. I am now an instructor as is my son. We see guys almost every class show up thinking it is a walk in the park and is for beginners only. Almost all of them are humbled early on and are ready to learn. They go away with a new skill and respect for the "basics".

Try it you will not be disappointed I assure you. I know California is really taking off with interest in the program and figure just 2 years ago we couldn't even have a class in CA.

Just noticed you are at Camp Pendelton. If you are active duty, Guard or Reserve you attend for free. I know when we have a class at Knob Creek we get a lot of active duty guys from Ft. Knox and they all say they gain good info from the course.

Women, anyone under 21 and elected officials also shoot for free.

We have one this weekend at West Side Sportsmans club. It was at Redbrush but with the berm construction it had to be moved.
June13-14 will be the next shoot at Redbrush I will be there. Also Redbrush is having the NRA shooting sports event for kids June 20. That is another good program but aimed for the kids.

I'm going this weekend!

This is a great program. Those who have had military training will find the course of fire familiar, yet challenging. Appleseed instructors really do a great job of distilling marksmanship to the basics. It definitely has improved my shooting, and not just with my open sight rifles. When you <span style="text-decoration: line-through">receive</span><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"> earn </span></span>your Rifleman's badge, you will definitely feel a sense of accomplishment.

You will also enjoy the hip-pocket history classes. It really drives home the risks our forefathers took in order to secure our Liberty. This weekend is particularly auspicious for Appleseed, so try and make it if there is still space available.

Also, this is a big weekend for them...lots of shoots going on all around the country. But, in California, there are Appleseeds going on at:

Corona
Dulzura
Piru
Ridgecrest
Sacramento
San Bernardino
San Luis Obispo
Santa Barbara
Victorville

I'll be in SLO for the festivities... :)