• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The AR15 Picture Thread

20201205-230617.jpg

My 14.5" build is nearing completion
SanTan Tactical Ambi Billet receiver set
Magpul STR stock
Larue APEG grip
Larue MBT trigger
Ballistic Advantage 14.5" SS Fluted 223 Wylde
Geissele MK4 13.5" rail
DeadAir Keymo Flash hider
DeadAir Sandman S
Bushnell Forge FFP 4.5-15 x50mm

Hi, just some advice to try something new, consider setting your Magpul iron sights as far apart as possible - putting the front sight at the end of your rail and the rear sight to the back of your upper. This allows you to be more precise in aiming usually because you have a longer sight radius. Also, just making sure you know, you have the sights set backwards to what Magpul designed them for (unless backwards works for you!).

I put this together about a month ago 18" Daniel Defense S2W barrel , midwest industry slim line hand guard , Upper I have no clue it was in the closet , and a poverty pony lower . U.S.O. 3x12 optic . I have shot it at 100 yds with 77 grain hand loads and it will do .75 moa at that distance . I am going to stretch it out and see how it does when I get the chance .

jOEaR0Q.jpg

I put this together about a month ago 18" Daniel Defense S2W barrel , midwest industry slim line hand guard , Upper I have no clue it was in the closet , and a poverty pony lower . U.S.O. 3x12 optic . I have shot it at 100 yds with 77 grain hand loads and it will do .75 moa at that distance . I am going to stretch it out and see how it does when I get the chance .

jOEaR0Q.jpg

Those Anderson lowers drive me nuts. $49.95...and they WORK. Poverty Ponies pull their weight.

Ugh. I remember buying one one when they were $29.99. They are certainly good to go, and if anything have improved their quality lately. My buddy got one a month ago and the finish appears to be the same quality as my Stag. Slightly better finish than my PSA.

Solid rifle btw. Makes me want to build a full stock lower. That handguard is sooooo thin too I love it.

Me likey. Specs?

-RRA upper & lower receiver
-Geissele mk8 13" rail
-Surefire Warcomp
-BCM 14.5 socom carbine barrel (pin & welded)
-SLR sentry 7 adj gas block
-Magpul moe grip
-BCM gunfighter mod 3 vert grip
-BCM mod 4 charging handle
-Geissele ssa-e trigger
-Troy fsp
-MaTech rear sight
-Magpul sls stock
-Aimpoint comp m4s w/ geissele mount
-Paint was done by me using duplicolor cast iron enamel engine paint EDE165107. 2 coats, then oven cured for 1 hour at 200 degrees fahrenheit

Last edited:
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Got back home from school, so I proceeded to do what I do best. Take apart and "fix" totally functional weapons for no good reason.
Saw Brownells had these german surplus HK 416 stocks on sale for 70 bucks and drove over and picked one up with the matching dust cover. Now I have a PWS thats trying to Cos play as a 416? Let me know if its hideous 😎
20201222_130220.jpg

I love to see some of the long range setups you guys have - here's mine that I built - but now you've got me tempted to buy a 20" barrel w a bipod and scope so I can swap out easy and essentially have 2 setups hmm
IMG_0012.heic-1.jpeg

I call this the "Plague Pistol". You can guess when I pieced it together... Built it as a handy little light weight thing for the wife. Photo was in the summer as you can tell. It has the Magpul AFG now.

9mm AR pistol on log.JPG

Last edited:
Finally - I have the parts needed to build again. Here's a nice little Recce carbine weighing in at 6 LB 9 OZ. The heart of this build is a Proof 16" carbine fiber wrapped .223 barrel with Wylde chamber, 1x8 twist, and all-important intermediate length gas system - ordered almost a year ago. Supporting this barrel is a long out of stock Santan STT-15 ambi billet receiver set. You have an SLR adjustable gas block under a Geissele Mk 14 13.5" rail. There's an Surefire MB556 muzzle brake out front. The Geissele SCH charging handle operates a tope shelf bolt carrier group consisting of a JP Enhanced Bolt, DLC coated, inside a Young Manufacturing National Match bolt carrier, hard chromed and then Ionbond DLC coated. The recoil system is the Vltor A5. The TriggerTech Adaptable trigger, adjustable between 2.5 and 5 LB, is set light for precision application. It is supported by V Seven titanium fire control pins. Also in titanium by V Seven are the receiver end plate and tube nut, Ambi safety, buffer stop, and grip screw. Magpul supplied the SLR buttstock and MOE pistol grip. The translucent 30-RD magazine is from Lancer. The Kahles K16i scope and Spuhr SP-3022 mount finish out the project.
IMG_0032.jpeg
IMG_0034.jpeg
IMG_0035.jpeg
IMG_0036.jpeg
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpeg
IMG_0040.jpeg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

Last edited:
@MSTN

In your experience, where would you place the barrel life of the Proof’s and a quality SS barrel in a .223W chambering with a moderate firing schedule. Call it around 30% slow fire (group shooting) 50% medium (think 1 shot per 3 seconds) and 20% rapid fire (short Bill drills)?

Considering doing a Mk12(ish) build at some point and am considering between a Proof carbon, a SS barrel, or a chromed/nitrided Criterion Hybrid. Trying to balance barrel life and accuracy.

That's a great question, and a tough one. I don't have a real answer for it, but I can tell you what I do know.

I've built rifles with Proof carbon fiber wrapped ("CFW") barrels for a few 3-gun shooters. No one has reported a prematurely worn out barrel.

One very successful shooter reported his 18" Proof CFW barrel was still shooting considerably sub-MOA until 5000 rounds, when it turned into an MOA gun. He asked me to look at it, which I did with a borescope. The bore was extremely fouled. I asked him what he used to clean it. He replied he used Break Free.

Gun cleaning nerd that I am, I threw up in my mouth a little. But, if he went 5000 rounds shooting sub-MOA using Break Free, it is obviously better than I thought at cleaning barrels.

We did the full KG treatment on the bore, to include numerous passes with KG-2 bore polish on VFG felt pellets. The barrel cleaned up beautifully. Surprisingly, after that many rounds, there was no throat erosion. In fact, the barrel exhibited far less heat checking in the first few inches of the barrel than I would have expected to see at that round count.

The shooter in question had made it clear he loaded his own ammunition for competition shooting. I asked if he shot light loads and he replied that just the opposite was the case.

The barrel reportedly returned to its sub-MOA performance.

So, I give you this one example. The round count of course cannot be verified. But, even if the shooter mentioned above only had 2000 rounds down the barrel, it still looked damn good.

Admittedly, I don't put a lot of rounds through my guns these days. But, if I build another precision AR' for myself, rest assured it will have a Proof CFW barrel in it.

Thanks, thats a pretty solid data point. For the price Proof’s go for on Expertvoice, it may be worth it for the weight savings.

PDW - AR' Pistol Format: SanTan STT-15 Ambi billet receiver set; Noveske hammer forged, double chrome lined 10.5" 1x7 twist barrel with contoured and polished feed ramps; SLR adjustable gas block; OSS flash suppressor: Geissele Mk 14 rail; Geissele Super Charging handle: Young Manufacturing National Match bolt carrier and gas key, Ionbond DLC coated; JP Enhanced Bolt Kit, DLC coated; DHS DLC coated SS push pins; DHD receiver end plate and tube nut; Trigger Tech Competitive 3.5 LB trigger; V Seven DLC coated titanium fire control pins; V Seven Hybrid titanium/aluminum ambi safety; Magpul MOE Grip; Gearhead Works Mod 2 pistol brace; Geissele Super 42 coiled recoil spring and H2 buffer; Lancer smoke translucent magazine.

IMG_0023.jpeg
IMG_0024.jpeg
IMG_0026.jpeg
IMG_0028.jpeg
IMG_0030.jpeg
IMG_0029.jpeg

Reactions: candyx and PBWalsh
Thanks, thats a pretty solid data point. For the price Proof’s go for on Expertvoice, it may be worth it for the weight savings.
Not in any way trying to take away from MSTN's data point, but I have several counterpoints that I'll add.
I watched closely while a bunch of my fellow 3 gunners went through the Proof CF barrel phase. On average they weighed about the same as their previous lighter weight steel barrels. They shot well, but so did the previous barrels and when you're all using LPVO's anything that shoots under an inch is plenty good enough. They can be expected to be very dead at 9-11k rounds, which is right in line with any other non chrome lined barrel enduring the same abuse.
So in summary, they all shot them till they died with no complaints, but didn't buy new ones because the 0-3oz saved wasn't worth 2-3x their normal barrel cost when all other performance aspects were similar. My gunsmith brought up a good point last time I asked him about shorter CF barrels too. The shorter the barrel the less weight can be saved because a higher percentage of the barrels length is going to have to be full diameter steel, like the chamber and gas block journal and possibly the barrel ahead of the GB if it's short enough to not be worth a little strip of CF wrap up there.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Yeah, the Proof at 16” is 27oz at $920 MSRP. A Criterion Core is 27.2oz at $290 and a Rainier Ultra Match is 28.2oz at $400.

Definitely an advantage with heavier, longer contours like you’d see on a PRS rifle. Not so much on a mid-weight AR.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Yeah, the Proof at 16” is 27oz at $920 MSRP. A Criterion Core is 27.2oz at $290 and a Rainier Ultra Match is 28.2oz at $400.

Definitely an advantage with heavier, longer contours like you’d see on a PRS rifle. Not so much on a mid-weight AR.
So being new and all and building my first AR, what would you suggest for an accurate barrel 16"? I was about to pick up a CF Proof barrel but now if I can save a few hundred dollars that would be great.

To be honest, I’m not the guy to ask that. I’m just now ordering my first precision oriented upper (WOA SPR 20”) where I’ll actually care about its precision.

When I had a Criterion Hybrid, I never shot match ammo out of it, so I cannot accurately comment on its precision.

There are some folks on here that have built some very accurate ARs that could better inform you as they have actual data points.

To be honest, I’m not the guy to ask that. I’m just now ordering my first precision oriented upper (WOA SPR 20”) where I’ll actually care about its precision.

When I had a Criterion Hybrid, I never shot match ammo out of it, so I cannot accurately comment on its precision.

There are some folks on here that have built some very accurate ARs that could better inform you as they have actual data points.
Thanks for the info.

Is there anyone that could shed some light on this or should I create a new thread for this question?

So being new and all and building my first AR, what would you suggest for an accurate barrel 16"? I was about to pick up a CF Proof barrel but now if I can save a few hundred dollars that would be great.
I have had ZERO problems with any of my Ballistic Advantage barrels. The price is right, and all mine were 1moa or better shooters

Note on BA barrels. They do not dimple the barrel at the the gas port and customer service said they would not do it. So you’ll either need to buy a jig, or do something else to secure the gas block to the barrel if you care about it.

Reactions: AMGtuned
Note on BA barrels. They do not dimple the barrel at the the gas port and customer service said they would not do it. So you’ll either need to buy a jig, or do something else to secure the gas block to the barrel if you care about it.
This is the information that is greatly appreciated. That's why the search for a great barrel without breaking the bank is basically like the holy grail.

A dimpling jig is pretty inexpensive and fairly simple to use. I have a bunch of BA barrels and have dimpled them all myself. I think my dimpling jig is made by KAK. It uses a 5/32” drill bit to create the dimple. Just taking a tiny bit of material from the barrel, enough for a dimple LOL. It was 30-ish bucks IIRC.

Reactions: redx
A dimpling jig is pretty inexpensive and fairly simple to use. I have a bunch of BA barrels and have dimpled them all myself. I think my dimpling jig is made by KAK. It uses a 5/32” drill bit to create the dimple. Just taking a tiny bit of material from the barrel, enough for a dimple LOL. It was 30-ish bucks IIRC.
Ah. Perfect. The things I need to learn. I'll still monitor this thread because it's providing me pictures of completed rifles that are drool worthy.