• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The AR15 Picture Thread

This rifle was built to be simultaneously accurate and EXTREMELY fast. It has enough weight to be stable (6 LB 3 OZ) yet it's not so heavy as to slow the shooter down transitioning from target to target. With suitable ammunition in this 16" Criterion chrome lined, rifle length gas system barrel, this will shoot sub-MOA for many, many thousands of rounds. Shooting a gun like this - FAST!!! - requires learning new techniques, because the gun doesn't communicate with the shooter as we are accustomed to experiencing. The rifle barely moves when fired. The rifle length gas system in a 16" barrel produces a gas pulse unlike that of shorter, more conventional set ups. The Geissele SD-3G competition style trigger doesn't stack - It just rolls through. The Young Manufacturing SuperLite bolt carrier's minimal mass gives up little in the way of tactile information when it cycles. Out on the muzzle, the PRI/MSTN brake, designed by shooting phenomenon Taran Butler, ensures the muzzle stays pretty much where it was a nanosecond before the bullet left the barrel. BTW, it is NOT objectionably loud like other brakes out there! Recoil is nothing and the muzzle merely quivers a little. And it is now time for the shooter to repeat the process. The foundation for this rifle is the SanTan Tactical STT-15L receiver set. I defy you to find a receiver better made - or more visually attractive. The Criterion chrome lined rifle length gas system 16" barrel is in my mind the best value out there in a go-fast completion style barrel. There are a lot of good brakes out there, but the PRI/MSTN QC Brake designed by 3-Gun Champion Taran Butler is my favorite. It does everything a brake needs to do in the braking department without being obnoxiously loud plus counters rotational torque. We have lots of other choice parts in this build from Dark Hour Defense (aka "DHD") in the form of ionbond DLC coated SS push pins, magazine release, and short throw safety. The receiver end plate and nut are Ionbond DLC coated titanium, from V Seven. The recoil system is a simple carbine length with standard buffer, all that is needed with this gas system and lightweight bolt carrier. The stock is from MFT and the grip is the Magpul MOE K2. The magazine furnished with the rifle is a translucent Lancer 30-RD.

IMG_9312.jpeg
IMG_9314.jpeg
IMG_9316.jpeg
IMG_9319.jpeg
IMG_9318.jpeg
IMG_9334.jpeg
IMG_9335.jpeg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

@MSTN

Is the gas on a 16” rifle length barrel a function of fas port size or what? I read of issues with folks using a traditional dissipator style upper.

I like the idea of a rifle length 16” barrel. Its gotta be smoother than a mid length. Are there any reliability trade offs?

Is the gas on a 16” rifle length barrel a function of fas port size or what? I read of issues with folks using a traditional dissipator style upper.

I like the idea of a rifle length 16” barrel. Its gotta be smoother than a mid length. Are there any reliability trade offs?
I'm 3 deep in 16" RLGS barrels. I love them but probably wouldn't recommend for someone's first build or only rifle. My gas ports are all .09x" and reliability has been perfect in temps from 0-100° but I tune them to run on two different loads and never use anything else, so I have no idea what would happen if I started feeding them whatever random loads I found at a gun show. Even though mine work great there's no denying the physics that says they're closer to the ragged edge of function than shorter gas systems.
I truly believe Intermediate length gas is the perfect compromise of performance and reliability for a 16" barrel.

Reactions: MSTN and PBWalsh
I'm 3 deep in 16" RLGS barrels. I love them but probably wouldn't recommend for someone's first build or only rifle. My gas ports are all .09x" and reliability has been perfect in temps from 0-100° but I tune them to run on two different loads and never use anything else, so I have no idea what would happen if I started feeding them whatever random loads I found at a gun show. Even though mine work great there's no denying the physics that says they're closer to the ragged edge of function than shorter gas systems.
I truly believe Intermediate length gas is the perfect compromise of performance and reliability for a 16" barrel.
Mine are all Noveske. Most from before John passed. I don't worry about what they eat. It all works.

@MSTN

The smoothest in the world, but not without trade offs. With a super short and relatively low pressure dwell time, you’ve got to run a lightweight bolt carrier and recoil system. The gun needs to stay relatively clean and well lubed. Cheap/weak ammo won’t generate sufficient pressure to allow the gas system or the brake to do their things. Interestingly, hotter ammo produces LESS felt recoil with a rifle like this. Brakes are just like thrust reverser on jet engines. I was for 35 years an airline pilot. If you want to stop the jet using up the least amount of runway, use max reverse after landing. If you want to minimize felt recoil, use full pressure loads to give the brake the pressure it needs to do its thing.

Reactions: PBWalsh
The 6mmARC has a most unique developmental history - And the resulting cartridge /rifle combo from Hornady and Proof Research is quite impressive. Imagine .... A 6.5 LB rifle that can put metal on meat at 1000+ yards, with precision?!? The heart of this particular rifle is its 18" Proof Research carbon fiber wrapped barrel. The barrel's feed ramps are contoured and polished mirror bright. These barrels in 16", 18", and 20" have demonstrated the ability to shoot Hornady factory 6mm ARC ammo sub-MOA all day long. This particular rifle is built up on a SanTan STT-15L billet receiver set. I'll put SanTan up against anybody's best. The forend I chose for this application is the Geissele MK 14 in 15" length. It just covers the SLR adjustable gas block out front on the rifle length +2" gas system, yet leaves the adjustment screw easily accessible. A Surefire WarComp is out front. The WarComp is one of the very best muzzle devices for flash suppression; it provides a level of muzzle climb compensation; and it is the interface required to use any number of superb Surefire sound suppressors in calibers larger than 5.56mm. The bolt carrier group used in this build is both one of the finest available and possibly the hardest to get - The JP Full Mass format with JP 6.5 Grendel Enhanced Bolt - Ionbond DLC coated. The charging handle is my top choice for scope use, the Geissele Super Charging Handle (aka "SCH"). The STT-15L lower receiver sports the best components available as well: Vltor A5 recoil system, TriggerTech Adaptable Trigger set to 2.75 LB; SanTan tool steel bolt catch; V Seven titanium fire control pins, mag release, short throw safety, receive end plate and tube nut - all Ionbond DLC coated; even the buffer stop and grip screw are V Seven titanium. Magpul provided the MOE SL buttstock and MOE K2 pistol grip. The key to any magazine-fed weapon running properly is obviously the magazine. I'm using Brenton SS magazines, 15 round capacity, loaded to 13-14 rounds. I've tried several other brands of magazines and these seem to be the best available.

Reactions: jabbrwoke
This BAD PDW lower has been stashed away for some time. This is one of their originals with really the neat compound spring buffer. I've got another much like this but with a 6.5" V7 .300 BLK barrel that runs 100%. The addition of the BAD PDW Tailhook adapter allows this lower to be used in a pistol format. With BAD 9.5" RigidRail covering the V7 10.25" SS barrel chambered in .223 Wylde, the gun only weighs 5 LB 9 OZ. The anodizing of the three BAD components doesn't match that well in these photos taken in sunlight, but I can live with it, especially these days. The gun actually looks far better in person. See the V7 aluminum ejection port cover? I've got a JP Enhanced bolt in there behind one of my Young MFG M16 bolt carriers - center less ground, hard chromed, and then Ionbond DLC coated. There's an ambitious Geissele ACH, ambi V7 hybrid short throw safety selector, and built in BAD ambi mag release. The LaRue MBT trigger in this one breaks at a crisp 3.25 LB and really can't be improved upon. There's an OSS flash hider up front, ready for a low back pressure OSS HX-QD 5.56 can.

IMG_9389.jpeg
IMG_9390.jpeg
IMG_9391.jpeg
IMG_9392.jpeg
IMG_9393.jpeg
IMG_9395.jpeg
IMG_9396.jpg
IMG_9397.jpeg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

House gun.

Adams 10.5 piston upper, Surefire can, Aimpoint, Streamlight TLR-1. Shooting Hornady 75g Interlok Black ammo.

Attachments

• 0521201355.jpg
    0521201355.jpg
    335.9 KB · Views: 88
Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
RikHTZV.jpg

FzvldrU.jpg

Here's the current parts list:
Upper:
Geissele URGI MK18 Upper
Dead Air Sandman S
Modlite PLH V2, Thorntail 2 SBR, Modbutton Lite
Midwest Combat Rifle Front Sight
Aimpoint T2, Unity FAST mount
BCM Gunfighter CH

Lower:
Colt SBR Lower
Magpul MOE+ Grip
BCM Gunfighter Stock
Geissele SSA
Radian Talon Safety
BFG VCAS Sling
Nice lookin Setup!

My 224 Valkyrie build. Built it about 2 years ago. It’s a heavy thing too, with scope just over 13 pounds. Shoots great!

Wyoming Arms billet upper/lower receiver,
BlackRain BCG, Geissele SD-E 3.5 lbs trigger,
PWS buffer tube, Hogue grip, Odin Works extended mag release, Phase 5 battery assist device, LWRC Ambi safety, Troy ambi mag release, Stainless steel black extended takedown and pivot pins, B5 Systems Collapsible Precision Stock, Geissele super 42 twisted wire buffer spring, with H1 buffer,
White Oak Armament 224 Valkyrie 1-7 twist 24” fluted/bead blasted stainless steel barrel,
Lantac Dragon GemTech Quick Mount muzzle brake, AXTS black titanium forward assist,
Strike Industries UDC dust cover, VLTOR BCM Gunfighter charging handle, JP Precision Signature Series III Hand Guard 17” M-LOK, Atlas Bipod, Steiner T Series scope mount, Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 scope.
62573D12-D15A-417D-B341-48E89DA77F96.jpeg
A0516A99-9C3E-4D65-AA85-CE5379D7D4D5.jpeg

Got this “finished“ for now thanks to @6mmTim getting me the Scalarworks LEAP 1.93” mount. By far the fastest mount I’ve ever mounted an optic with.

Went with the older SWFA 1-6x26 HD they had on their Samplelist for $600. Said it had flawed illumination, but I see zero flaws. I’ve never used a “high end” LPVO, but I love this thing for the price.

Will most likely be getting a Modlight OKW at some point to replace the SF M600DF. Still waiting on my OSS Helix 762 QD to come in as well.

The reticle pictures were done with my phone. Any distortion you may see if for that reason. Looking through it with my eyes is a flat and seemingly 1x sight picture.

6F5EFA2E-6AFF-41AD-BE2B-96233DD29127.jpeg

BC0AFAF2-79D2-4BC8-B36F-10CF5BAC7073.jpeg

9FA37B92-4CD7-4C89-8504-66AC9BED600D.jpeg

Got this “finished“ for now thanks to @6mmTim getting me the Scalarworks LEAP 1.93” mount. By far the fastest mount I’ve ever mounted an optic with.

Went with the older SWFA 1-6x26 HD they had on their Samplelist for $600. Said it had flawed illumination, but I see zero flaws. I’ve never used a “high end” LPVO, but I love this thing for the price.

Will most likely be getting a Modlight OKW at some point to replace the SF M600DF. Still waiting on my OSS Helix 762 QD to come in as well.

The reticle pictures were done with my phone. Any distortion you may see if for that reason. Looking through it with my eyes is a flat and seemingly 1x sight picture.

View attachment 7609366
View attachment 7609367
View attachment 7609368
that is nice glass for 600. Before you drop coin on that modlight check out malkoff, you can replace just the head. I’ve been running one of his drop in for years and it has taken tons of abuse.

@S197 What is the candela output? The OKW and CD Rein obliterate everyone in that category.
He builds several different models, each one will have its purpose. If your clearing a house or searching outdoors.

try not to get wrapped up in candle power as throw, spill have more importance depending on your goals.

there is some good info that can be found on this forum. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forum.php

Got another “finished” today. A BCM stock got in and so far doing some dry fire, I’m digging it. Should be able to sight this and the rifle above in next week with some IMI 77 grain.

Just waiting on that OSS suppressor and some spray paint now.

Thanks to @blbennett1288 for inadvertently sending me down this rabbit hole of precision.

The Vortex PST2 3-15x44 was a great deal from Euro Optic for about $615. Has the older EBR-2C reticle, but I’m enjoying it so far. Hopefully the zeroing is not as complicated as the manual makes it out to be.

A7F2B6D7-7CBD-4E60-A0E6-FD5C7D3331C9.jpeg

Well technically it's not an AR, but youknow...

I hate the quadrail, but I can replace that through Robinson if I really get a bug up my ass about it.
3x Acog, 300ish lumen light, stubby handle, single point sling and has a Surefire Socom muzzle device on it now. Fit's great in a non-descript bag.

Attachments

• 20150725_111217.jpg
    20150725_111217.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170324_172037 (1).jpg
    20170324_172037 (1).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20170324_172113.jpg
    20170324_172113.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: camocorvette
Got another “finished” today. A BCM stock got in and so far doing some dry fire, I’m digging it. Should be able to sight this and the rifle above in next week with some IMI 77 grain.

Just waiting on that OSS suppressor and some spray paint now.

Thanks to @blbennett1288 for inadvertently sending me down this rabbit hole of precision.

The Vortex PST2 3-15x44 was a great deal from Euro Optic for about $615. Has the older EBR-2C reticle, but I’m enjoying it so far. Hopefully the zeroing is not as complicated as the manual makes it out to be.
Nothing old about that reticle. EBR-2c is one of the best reticles ever designed imo.

Yeah these are definitely my two primaries. Got them both zeroed today with IMI 77gr (mk262 clone). 50 yard zero on the irons/lpvo and a 100 on the Vortex. Excited with what I’m seeing thus far.

C69A64B1-6CD1-4ED3-B9F1-36E69C529FE1.jpeg

Bad part... my Atlas fell out of my bag, hit the concrete perfectly, and broke. Hopefully it can be fixed, calling them Monday.
8C5736D6-21FD-4B08-8FD0-D36C7DD6D707.jpeg

This DID teach me just how versatile a tripod is. Was able to continue shooting well resting off of it. The tripod literally saved the shooting day.

Reactions: Pointman308
New 13.7" build (top) next to the 14.5 BCM.

* 16" Daniel Defense Mid Length Barrel Chopped to 13.7"
* SLR Gas Block Pinned
* VSeven Stripped Upper
* 13" Geissele MK8 (PITA to find a 13" which was discontinued)
* SOLGW NOX (P&W)
* DD BCG
* Larue 2 stage in a spare aero M4 lower

Shout out to John Thomas at Retro arms for doing the entire Upper assembly, including cutting and crowning this barrel! He's incredible.

My goal was to have a soft shooting, properly gassed 13.7 to pair with a sandman for mostly suppressed shooting. Working on finding a Razor 1-6 and some stuff to finish her off.

20210430_195931.jpg
20210430_200040.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need a dimple. It's nice and simplifies assembly, but carbon buildup or a little blue loctite will keep a gas block on a non dimpled barrel indefinitely.
Doesn't any Loctite just turn to powder/dust if exposed to the direct heat of something like barrel? Pretty sure Loctite is not going to do anything after one hot range session.

Finished my new SBR last night. All Noveske and Geissele parts chambered in .300. Topped it off with a Nomad-30. Still need to grab an EXPS3 though.

• Receivers: Noveske Gen III
  • Handguard: Noveske NHR 7"
  • Barrel: Noveske Diplomat 7.94" .300 BLK
  • Charging Handle: Noveske Super Badass Airborne Charging Handle
  • Ejection Port Door: Noveske Iron Cross
  • FA: Noveske Iron Cross
  • BCG: Noveske M-16 Nitride
  • Buffer: Noveske H3
  • LPK: Geissele Super Duty
  • Trigger: Geissele SSA
  • Furniture: Magpul MIAD Grip and CTR Stock
  • Silencer: Dead Air Nomad-30

IMG_9337.jpeg

Doesn't any Loctite just turn to powder/dust if exposed to the direct heat of something like barrel? Pretty sure Loctite is not going to do anything after one hot range session.
Nope. I had blue loctite hold so well I once used a hammer and cold chisel to remove the GB. Ruined it too.

Finished a build about an hour ago.

artworks-DlJ8fV6amFLIFrMQ-22WhqA-t500x500.jpg

Colt 6940 Upper 16", complete
Trijicon TA31RCO W/LaRue QD
GM Hydra-Matic 80% lower, 5D Tactical Jig used
Aero MOE LPK
MOE Stock, Colt spring/H1 buffer
LaRue MBS 2 Stage. (AWESOME)

May shoot her tomorrow.

20210502_162532.jpg

Don't mind the mess. "I know where everything is".

Last edited:
loctite has several different temp ranges for applications. Also, dimples keep your GB from shifting and should not be over looked.

well Im not an AR guy at all but heres what I slapped together.

- Aero m4e1 upper & lower
- Balistic advantage 16" gov barrel
- Balistic advantage 12" atlas R one (12.5")
- AO precision BCG
- Radian charging handle
- PSA LPk

nothing fancy, did my best to be nitpicky when assembling it but we'll see how it goes. Thinking about getting a trijicon MRO, any thoughts on optics? this is a Home defense gun. maybe the odd skunk/fox/coyote around the house.

20210506_184948.jpg

will likely get a 13.7" barrel in the future.

edit: whats with parts that dont come wiyh all the parts? gas block didnt include roll pin and bird cage didnt come with a crush washer. maybe im expecting too much but now I have to place orders for cheap parts.

Finished this build in December. Hoping to dial in the scope this weekend.
CMMG MK4 lower with 20" barrel chambered in 6mm ARC. Steiner Military scope, Leupold cantilever mount BCM stock, grip and trigger guard, LaRue 2 stage trigger and Atlas bipod.
IMG_E7829.JPG

This custom hard use carbine has been built from the finest components available anywhere, at any price. It has taken nearly a year just to get all of the parts! The key component in any AR' is the barrel. In the hard use category, nothing tops the Noveske "Light Recce" 14.5" hammer forged, double chrome lined barrel built exclusively for Noveske Rifleworks to M249 machine gun specs by FN. These barrels will shoot sub-MOA all day long with capable ammunition. The M855A1 feed ramps have been contoured and polished. A JP DLC coated bolt is headspaced at 1.4666" to this barrel. This bolt is a part of the JP Full Mass Operating System ("FMOS) bolt carrier group. The charging handle is the Precision Reflex Gas Buster, a patented safety device, and the one you want on board when shooting suppressed. ASurefire WarComp 5.56 flash suppressor is pinned and TIG welded out front, giving us a 16+" barrel overall length. The receiver set is the billet SanTan STT-15L, an absolute work of art. The forend is the 13.5" Geissele MK 8, which gives you sufficient standoff from the barrel so you won't need to call your mama crying after the third peel drill. The push pins are all by themselves Standouts: Dark Hour Defense ("DHD") stainless - DLC coated. The magazine release, short short safety, plus receiver end plate and tube castle nut are alsomade by DHD. The bolt release is STT V7 tool steel - not going to break. The trigger is the TriggerTech Competion model, breaking at a crisp 3.5 LB. It is supported by V7 titanium fire control pins. The recoil system is the Vltor A5, the best thing to happen to the AR' since the flat top upper receiver. The buttstock, pistol grip, and magazine are from Magpul.

IMG_9423.jpeg
IMG_9424.jpeg
IMG_9425.jpg
IMG_9426.jpg
IMG_9427.jpeg
IMG_9428.jpeg
IMG_9429.jpg
MSTN logo-lg.jpg

This custom hard use carbine has been built from the finest components available anywhere, at any price. It has taken nearly a year just to get all of the parts! The key component in any AR' is the barrel. In the hard use category, nothing tops the Noveske "Light Recce" 14.5" hammer forged, double chrome lined barrel built exclusively for Noveske Rifleworks to M249 machine gun specs by FN. These barrels will shoot sub-MOA all day long with capable ammunition. The M855A1 feed ramps have been contoured and polished. A JP DLC coated bolt is headspaced at 1.4666" to this barrel. This bolt is a part of the JP Full Mass Operating System ("FMOS) bolt carrier group. The charging handle is the Precision Reflex Gas Buster, a patented safety device, and the one you want on board when shooting suppressed. ASurefire WarComp 5.56 flash suppressor is pinned and TIG welded out front, giving us a 16+" barrel overall length. The receiver set is the billet SanTan STT-15L, an absolute work of art. The forend is the 13.5" Geissele MK 8, which gives you sufficient standoff from the barrel so you won't need to call your mama crying after the third peel drill. The push pins are all by themselves Standouts: Dark Hour Defense ("DHD") stainless - DLC coated. The magazine release, short short safety, plus receiver end plate and tube castle nut are alsomade by DHD. The bolt release is STT V7 tool steel - not going to break. The trigger is the TriggerTech Competion model, breaking at a crisp 3.5 LB. It is supported by V7 titanium fire control pins. The recoil system is the Vltor A5, the best thing to happen to the AR' since the flat top upper receiver. The buttstock, pistol grip, and magazine are from Magpul.

View attachment 7624950View attachment 7624951View attachment 7624952View attachment 7624953View attachment 7624954View attachment 7624955View attachment 7624956View attachment 7624957
Nice setup man. One day I'll do a top shelf build

Reactions: MSTN
Anyone have pics of an 18" AR15 with a optic that has a 34mm main tube and 50mm objective? Im trying to get an idea of what it will look like (stupid and cosmetic I know)

Anyone have pics of an 18" AR15 with a optic that has a 34mm main tube and 50mm objective? Im trying to get an idea of what it will look like (stupid and cosmetic I know)
Here you go.

Attachments

• IMG_E7829.JPG
    IMG_E7829.JPG
    331.1 KB · Views: 103
Reactions: jLorenzo
Knights Armament LPR Mod 2 upper
Bravo Company Mfg. lower
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 Tremor 3
Nightforce 30mm 20moa mount
Trijicon RMR
Arisaka offset RMR mount
American Precision Arms Micro Bastard
Atlas bipod
Ergo grip
LMT SOPMOD stock
LaRue MBT
Nosler 77gr HPBT CC
H322
CCI450

I’ve been running this in precision type rifle matches right along side my 6.5CM bolt gun and have been very surprised with the LPR. Very accurate, soft shooting, reliable. I’m using holdovers and wind dots only with the Tremor 3 in both the NX8 and S&B PMII on my bolt gun.

1FB057D8-9B91-48FC-B0AB-C962EBF5975F.jpeg
83675371-6F87-402E-BFBE-E3C640B125C3.jpeg

Here you go.
Thanks. Any input on a setup like that? If you could do it again would you? My feeling is that most of my shooting is off a bipod or tripod, unless I am shooting a local PRS match so the extra size shouldn't matter.

Knights Armament LPR Mod 2 upper
Bravo Company Mfg. lower
Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 Tremor 3
Nightforce 30mm 20moa mount
Trijicon RMR
Arisaka offset RMR mount
American Precision Arms Micro Bastard
Atlas bipod
Ergo grip
LMT SOPMOD stock
LaRue MBT
Nosler 77gr HPBT CC
H322
CCI450

I’ve been running this in precision type rifle matches right along side my 6.5CM bolt gun and have been very surprised with the LPR. Very accurate, soft shooting, reliable. I’m using holdovers and wind dots only with the Tremor 3 in both the NX8 and S&B PMII on my bolt gun.

View attachment 7628199View attachment 7628200
Sweet rifle. Is that a Knights charging handle?