• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Better Round

Re: The Better Round

First off I'd have to say that 'ultimate accuracy" or "inherent accuracy" are primarily determined by the quality of the barrel and the subsequent chambering performed properly with a reamer of a design suitable for the cartridge and bullets to be used.

One thing most competition rifles have in common is a freebore that the length of which is determined by the bullets to be used. Generally it is best to have enough freebore to keep the bearing surface aboce the neck/shoulder junction. This makes for a more accurate rifle while att he same time limiting it's flexibility a bit. The chamber is likely set up on the small side of SAAMI spec or even custom dimension, and likely a tighter neck diameter to limit the amount of play a chambered round can have. The angle of the lead would likely by 1.5 degrees which seems to work better than steeper angles.

The .308 has a shorter powder column but not a fatter one, since both are based on .473 case head size. The shorter powder column of the .308 may contribute to better accuracy.

If both the 30-06 and the .308 print 1/4 moa at 100 yards with the same bullet at the same velocity with the same twist then they should be equally accurate at any range.

But, in a bolt rifle the -06 can be loaded to a higher velocity with any bullet 150 gr or more in a 24" barrel or longer, and with the 190 gr snd heavier bullets the -06 now has a distinct advantage of higher velocity with heavier bullets. And as we all know when the wind blows velocity and BC are nice to have.

The only drawback at this point is the extra recoil that would be generated by the -06. Recoil and the control of recoil is certainly an issue when slung up shooting irons, and even an issue of a bipob shooting prone or even off the bench. The main way to control it is a heavier rifle within the limits of any rules or whatever the shooter is willing to tote.

And then there is the variant of the -06 that is seldom seen yet works so very well, the .30-06 Ackley Improved. Lapua brass, getting close to .300 WM performance with mid weight bullets....Hmmm. In a real Ackley chamber (approximately .004" shorter to the neck/shoulder junction than a standard parent cartridge reamer) out of the box commercial ammunition will still work pretty well to and fireform nicely.

Wish I had the time and money to build a couple of rifles jut to test out the differences and find out if the .308 really is more accurate with the bullets, powders and brass availble today.

I got the article. Seems years ago when Remington built 40x custom shop rifles in .308 and 30/06 they were built to the same standards and tested with standardized handloads, with the intention of superb accuracy, in a windless tunnel by the same shooter. The records show that the .308 wins. Several current custom rifle makers and ammunition manufacturers agree. All else being equal, including bore size, there is such a thing as inherent accuracy in different rounds, and the .308 is inherently more accurate than a 30/06.

D'arcy Echols commented "If there aren't inherently accurate cartridges, why are the .22 and 6mm PPC so hard to beat?"

Inherent accuracy is a term I don't pay a lot of attention to. I know certain chamberings (.22LR, .222 Rem for a couple) have excellent 'inherent accuracy' reputations, and I respect that.

But my money's actually invested into load development.

Some chamberings (.25-'06, 7.62x39) have resisted my efforts to develop match-accurate loads, for various reasons (I didn't want to wash out my brother's .25-'06 barrel banging my head against diminishing accuracy returns, and the 7.62x39 platforms, a Norinco SKS, and Century Arms Mauser, probably would have shot equally poorly whatever load I developed).

I have a philosophy about load development. I'm not looking for the absolute best load. I'm looking for one that shoots acceptably well, and that load sometimes falls right into my lap.

For the .30-'06, my Garand does acceptably well (2MOA or better)with practically anything I feed it, and I use this situation to try to develop loads that are good for it and my M70 22" lighter weight sporter. So far the sporter shoots pretty good, maybe 1-2MOA, but I think it can do better. I'm also not in any rush, as its already good enough to deal with the occasional deer at distance out to 200yd; which is all I'd be asking of it. I know that in a pinch, each will shoot remarkably better with FGMM 168SMK loads, but right now that stuff is untouchable. I also know that the M70 does very nicely with Rem 150gr and 165gr Core-Lokt Express loads, and that's my standard hunting load(s).

This accuracy business is interesting. Maybe my shooting is most notable for the shooting I don't do. Once I have a firearm performing, I make up a small stock of the proper load, and move on to the next project. Periodically, I will shoot up that small stock, replace it, verify the load, and put the rifle back up again.

When I'm going to go out and refresh my marksmanship skills; the main activity centers around .22LR's. It saves money, saves centerfire bore life, and I really don't see any need for fullbore recoil in my marksmanship practice.

There's nothing good or bad about this, it's just my way.

The thing about the .30-'06, for me, is that it's been around for over a century now, doing whatever's been asked of it, and that's very wide variety of things. It's just about always available on a shelf I can get to, and it shows no signs of growing tired and retiring.

That'll do plenty good enough for me...

Greg

I thought the 06 and the .308 were he same diameter, why would you need to have switch barrels in you sniper platform? You'll notice I only have a few post and I'm trying to glean as much info from this site as I can. There seem to be a lot of good infromation and people ready to help a newbie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: capnjim01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the 06 and the .308 were he same diameter, why would you need to have switch barrels in you sniper platform? You'll notice I only have a few post and I'm trying to glean as much info from this site as I can. There seem to be a lot of good infromation and people ready to help a newbie </div></div>

Well, each barrel is designed to hold a specific caliber round, so it's not just an issue of the bullet diameter but also the round itself. Yes, they're the same bullet diameter, but the 30-06 is a different cartridge so it needs it's own barrel. I'm not sure you understand how rifles work - the entire round (aside from the end that's held by the bolt) fits inside the barrel (in the chamber, which is part of the barrel), which is why each barrel needs to be machined for each individual caliber.

They can use the same bolt theoretically, although I imagine the 30-06 requires a long action, whereas the .308 uses a short action.

I thought that might be the reason but thank you for confirming that. Like I said there is a lot of good information on this site.