• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Brown Liquor Thread

DocRDS

Head Maffs Monkey
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2012
The Great Beyond
Since we sorta hijacked the Muzzle Brake before the denzins got serious about flaming each other, thought I'd start a discussion of Scotch, Whiskey, Whisky, etc. No judgement here, stuff that's good, stuff you didn't like.

Currently in the Doc's Cabinet
Tomintoul 10 year SIngle -- nice gentle scotch, no sweetness, very little peat/smoke
Ardberg Ad Oa -- Super Smokey Sctoch
Styker Smoked Single Malt Whiskey -- Its uh, smokey whiskey (ugh a running theme) from Texas
Balcones Baby Blue -- Good Bourbon
Woodford Reserve -- SMOOTH Bourbon
A bunch of stuff from Acre Distilling in FtW Texas (local)--their Bourbon, Single Malt, and Smoked--haven't tried them enough to get a good sense, but liked em enough to but a bottle.
Slane Triple Cask Irish Whiskey -- dry irish whiskey.

Stuff that did not sit well:
Balcones Brimstone Scrub Oak -- Flavor was just off (sorry not super refined--the smoke was kinda a nasty flavor and just didn't work)

I can answer some questions about scotch/whiskey/bourbon as I can, I'm not an expert, but I know the ropes. Don't have to spend money to get good hooch. Never spent more than $60 on any of these (I think) and some were $20-30.

Past Stuff that was good
1792 Barrel in Bond--Bourbon I found on a list of top 10s. Not a super bourbon guy, but liked this one.

I am kinda a fan of the scotch-style whiskey--very dry. Bourbon is growing on me but tastes sweeter. Still having trouble telling the difference between rye and corn bourbon/whiskey. That needs more research ;)

I did do a tasting one with one of the malt masters from Glelivet--I asked him how these guys come up with the flavor profiles they describe as it never seems to match. He said "Drink what you like, who cares if you don't taste the same thing"

Reactions: Redheeler
Nice thread. Here’s what I have open. I’m down to trade 2oz samples.
Also, I would consider trading the case (part or whole depending) of scotch pictured for a high end optic. It’s one bottle of Macallan Ed 1, four Ed 2, three Ed 3 & 4, and four Ed 5. Valuation $5200 conservatively.
Preferably a ZCO 527 but consider others.
🥃 🍻 62DD442B-A55F-426D-8424-41DCF665A17D.jpegC8DB5CD8-F529-4EBA-B819-66C59462BBEA.png

Attachments

• Bourbon Samples.pdf
    26.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 8A93BE9A-6433-48E6-B02C-0B198BD3FAA9.png
    8A93BE9A-6433-48E6-B02C-0B198BD3FAA9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Since we sorta hijacked the Muzzle Brake before the denzins got serious about flaming each other, thought I'd start a discussion of Scotch, Whiskey, Whisky, etc. No judgement here, stuff that's good, stuff you didn't like.

Currently in the Doc's Cabinet
Tomintoul 10 year SIngle -- nice gentle scotch, no sweetness, very little peat/smoke
Ardberg Ad Oa -- Super Smokey Sctoch
Styker Smoked Single Malt Whiskey -- Its uh, smokey whiskey (ugh a running theme) from Texas
Balcones Baby Blue -- Good Bourbon
Woodford Reserve -- SMOOTH Bourbon
A bunch of stuff from Acre Distilling in FtW Texas (local)--their Bourbon, Single Malt, and Smoked--haven't tried them enough to get a good sense, but liked em enough to but a bottle.
Slane Triple Cask Irish Whiskey -- dry irish whiskey.

Stuff that did not sit well:
Balcones Brimstone Scrub Oak -- Flavor was just off (sorry not super refined--the smoke was kinda a nasty flavor and just didn't work)

I can answer some questions about scotch/whiskey/bourbon as I can, I'm not an expert, but I know the ropes. Don't have to spend money to get good hooch. Never spent more than $60 on any of these (I think) and some were $20-30.

Past Stuff that was good
1792 Barrel in Bond--Bourbon I found on a list of top 10s. Not a super bourbon guy, but liked this one.

I am kinda a fan of the scotch-style whiskey--very dry. Bourbon is growing on me but tastes sweeter. Still having trouble telling the difference between rye and corn bourbon/whiskey. That needs more research ;)

I did do a tasting one with one of the malt masters from Glelivet--I asked him how these guys come up with the flavor profiles they describe as it never seems to match. He said "Drink what you like, who cares if you don't taste the same thing"
Agree with you on the Balcones Baby Blue I live just south (in Belton) of their distillery in Waco and have been to their tasting room a few times. Interestingly enough, you can buy a bottle at Spec's cheaper than at the distillery.

Agree with you on the Balcones Baby Blue I live just south (in Belton) of their distillery in Waco and have been to their tasting room a few times. Interestingly enough, you can buy a bottle at Spec's cheaper than at the distillery.
I like the 2018 TX Blue Corn cask strength. It’s delicious...if you like rich and sweet

I'm a cheap drinker.
Nice to me is Woodford. Not the dbl oak, tried it and didn't care for it.
I'd rather have Jack Daniels than Bulleit. Bulleit Rye is pretty good though.
The only scotch I drink is Dewars White. Might go through a bottle every yr or so.

Reactions: UKDslayer
I'm a cheap drinker.
Nice to me is Woodford. Not the dbl oak, tried it and didn't care for it.
I'd rather have Jack Daniels than Bulleit. Bulleit Rye is pretty good though.
The only scotch I drink is Dewars White. Might go through a bottle every yr or so.

Try some other blended scotch. Single Malt is all the rage which means is drives a premium. Stuff like Monkey Shoulder or Sheep Dip are supposedly top notch without that huge price tag because they are blended.

True Story--I fancied myself a Churchill style artistocrat and tried drinking Cognac (long story--I got therapy). Cognac is just French Brandy from Cognac (duh). But it has a big premium. You can get French brandy from other regions at like half the price (Armgnac). I did that. Also since Scotch has to be from Scotland, there may be american whiskey made in scotch style for cheaper. Look for something like an American Malt Whiskey.

In the end--I just bought cheap Christian Brothers XO Brandy. It was good. In the end, that's what matters. (Brandy is a Wisconsin thing--despite being transplanted to Texas, I'm a Wisconsin boy at heart)

I highly recommend going to tastings and stuff as a way to sample new wares--I l earned more from that dumb whiskey tasting club than any experiments at the store. I may go through a bottle a year total now tops--but never hurts to have 3-4 options.

Love that Baby Blue! First time I had it was judging a big spirits competition in Denver. It really stood out for its style.

My father was a Scotch drinker, preferred J&B... when I came off active service and was with IBM, I moved him to Chevis Regal... which became his Scotch of choice for good reason... He was also a guy when he got a little discretionary to devote to his hobby went with Ambassador 25... that was his "sipping whiskey" of choice... remained that way with me too, until Ambassador stopped distilling... then it was Royal Salute, an occasional Grant's 25 and Macallan 25.... with Bourbon, I was a Wild Turkey drinker until someone turned me on to Maker's Mark... got me interested and made a trip to Bourbon County outside of Lexington and got totally committed to Woodford Reserve Double Oaked... and that is where I am today.. if I am drinking brown whiskey and I am not splurging it is Royal Salute and Woodford Reserve DblOk

My father was a Scotch drinker, preferred J&B... when I came off active service and was with IBM, I moved him to Chevis Regal... which became his Scotch of choice for good reason... He was also a guy when he got a little discretionary to devote to his hobby went with Ambassador 25... that was his "sipping whiskey" of choice... remained that way with me too, until Ambassador stopped distilling... then it was Royal Salute, an occasional Grant's 25 and Macallan 25.... with Bourbon, I was a Wild Turkey drinker until someone turned me on to Maker's Mark... got me interested and made a trip to Bourbon County outside of Lexington and got totally committed to Woodford Reserve Double Oaked... and that is where I am today.. if I am drinking brown whiskey and I am not splurging it is Royal Salute and Woodford Reserve DblOk

Tried the Slane and liked the smooth clear taste. Tend to like single malts, Balvenie varieties best. Besides the browns, if you like gin give Bootles a try. Best gin I've ever had.

So, definitely a bourbon guy. Live on my farm outside Bardstown, KY.

First October is usually Bourbon fest. Save your money, next year, after Trump wins, sell one of those 11 AR’s you bought, or half of that 1000 rounds of 6.5CM you paid 1.85 per round for at .17c apiece (to me preferably) and make your way to “Taste of Bourbon” event. Giant tent, pay about 250.00 for your ticket to get in a fine. Food and drinks are included long as you can stand up. It’s quite hoity toity, in a KY blue jeans and sport coat sort of way. All the distillers set up there best stuff. Dozens. You just walk around, with a bag. Walk up to Four Roses.. they hand you and etched glass... say, how about a taste of that single barrel.. mmmm nice.... now a shot of the small batch blend... nice. Then they say.. you should try this select... blended from 2 of our 8 200 year old yeasts... superb... head over woodford... mitschters, bullet, beam, and 15 local smalls...lime branch...

It’s a life changing event. No really, you probably get helped out by a dude under each arm and your feet dragging behind, but if you pace it, and enjoy. The best.

I’m a four roses fan.. in my cabinet are woodford, 1776 (mentioned above) in my glass this moment. Four roses is my go to though. I prefer small batch actually over the single barrel. Small batch is a multi-barrel blend of a unique batch aged together. Reserve select is nice. It’s not real expensive... but suits my taste fir whatever reason.

I also like a few Willet’s.
Honestly though, Inlike willet because I went over on a private tour, met Drew who took over from his elders, and he was cool.

Similarly, my parter washed out of sniper school due to an injury. Caught up in some desert abandoned cwire on night land nave and messed him up. Couldn’t get him in a follow on course. Made some calls to a “guy”, wiggled some slots and got him in. I happened to be going to four roses the next day for a private tour and “Bourbon breakfast”. Jim Rutledge was there. (If you look at any bottle older than four years, his name is on it, one of very very few master distillers in the world). Asked Jim if he would sign a bottle for me, to send to the “guy” as a thanks for hooking up my partner. He heard the story, said yes, but not one of these cheap brown labels. Grabbed one of 125 select bottles, signed a huge thank you note.

So, it’s more than just a taste, some of these have meaning, people, connections.

On occasion, I’ll grab a bottle of crown. Not because it’s so good, but because my grandpa on great uncle would drink it with me at deer camp when I was fresh home. A drink of that... that taste brings back a memory, sounds...

So, I like a few very fine ones. I’m a double oak fan, I like the smoke, I like Pappy, but not 2300.00 a bottle, I like Makers X Select Reserve a LOT...101! But, I also like the ones that have a connection.

had the pleasure of drinking all sorts of scotch when i worked overseas with a rather posh english gentleman with a taste for single casks.
being one of the poors, i have a bottle of Jameson.

Well I am a Manning with red hair and way back Gaelic roots from W Ireland. My first choice is triple distilled Irish single pot whiskey. Yellow Spot being my favorite and first thing I pour almost all the time. Also like Red Spot and some Jameson Gold Reserve.....even though it is blended.

I am also a southern boy and have a taste for bourbon. Mainly Jefferson Ocean, Wellers and Woodford Reserve.

If I ever sin and drink anything but neat it's regular ole Jameson mixed.

Last edited:
I like bourbon as my daily, but extra anejo tequila is where it's at. Not cheap, but what a sipper it is!

Last edited:
Reactions: JM4590
Missing from my stash,which I need to replenish,,Red Breast 12,,as well as my usual,,Powers
Tonight Stone Arrogant Bastards

Have a fairly decent collection of scotch (~30 unique bottles), and a couple bourbons and ryes.

For everyday scotch my go to is Glenmoragie or Blaviene. For peaty scotch I enjoy Laphroaig or Lagavulin. Lagavulin being my preference of the two. Have a couple pretty pricey bottles (21 Balvenie or some special Lagavulins) and it can be hit or miss in terms of "worth". Much like scopes for guns there's diminishing returns.

Have a fairly decent collection of scotch (~30 unique bottles), and a couple bourbons and ryes.

For everyday scotch my go to is Glenmoragie or Blaviene. For peaty scotch I enjoy Laphroaig or Lagavulin. Lagavulin being my preference of the two. Have a couple pretty pricey bottles (21 Balvenie or some special Lagavulins) and it can be hit or miss in terms of "worth". Much like scopes for guns there's diminishing returns.

The Balvenie Caribbean is one of my favorites.

Also digging the A'bunadh as it gets colder. When the wife breaks out the pumpkin spiced lattes this is the bottle I grab. I can't bring myself to drop more than $100 on a bottle, so my exposure to the super pricey stuff is limited. It's a little weird, but it definitely grows on you.

If you an afford to play
Cognac always rules the day.

I prefer 4 Roses single barrel, but I have 1776, Bookers and also Woodford Reserve and a bottle of Blanton’s single barrel . I also like Irish whiskey and have a bottle of Tullamore Dew, Jameson’s.

Garrison Brothers is good. Just tried Breakers and found it easy to sip. Currently working on a bottle of Noah's Mill that is tasty...

I am admittedly not much of a whiskey drinker... I found bourbon too sweet and just ignorantly assumed for a long time they were all that way. So after doing a little research I figured I would give Scotch a try... And jumped in with both feet with a bottle of Lagavulin.

In hindsight, Lagavulin was probably a bit extreme. But I haven't thrown it out and still have a few fingers when the mood strikes me.

Mike

Bourbon for me. I’ve tried some diff bottles of Scotch and just can’t seem to acquire the taste. Oh well, chocolate and vanilla. Worst bourbon I ever tasted was Blantons , if anyone has any, don’t even try it….send it to me and I will pour it out for you.