• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Choosing an excellent whiskey (?)

seriously though .. me be sipping on this nectar tonight .
-
View attachment 7274711
-

I bought 3 cases of The Balvenie Portwood 1993 a couple of years ago. It's been sold out for years and I got it for a song at a liquor store on an island in the Caribbean. I've finally gotten it all transported back here (2-4 bottles at a time) and I think I have 7 or 8 bottles left. think I bought those in 2016 or 2017?

1586545810326.png

BTW, The Balvenie Doublewood is basically my fav. I like all the sherry finished single malts. The peaty/smoky ones tear up my stomach.

Oh, and neat only, thank you very much.

Nice buy on The Balvenie, if you don't mind, what did it end up costing per bottle? By chance, would you want to sell one?

It was around $35 US per bottle. And no, sorry, I don't. lol This has to last me the rest of my life.

Reactions: bkglock
If you can find The Balvenie 15 yr old Sherry, I highly recommend it.

If you can find The Balvenie 15 yr old Sherry, I highly recommend it.

Hell, I've never seen that one. Not sure I could afford it, even my old favorite Doublewood is over $60 a bottle now. Sheesh.

<edit> Especially now that my billing has collapsed by 90% in the last 30 days. :(

If I found it, I'd pay $80 to try that one. The Caribbean Cask is around that much here, and while I like it, not as much as The Doublewood.

Between the "What are you drinking..." thread, and this thread, I have tried Redbreast 12, Four Roses Single Barrel, Glenlivet 18, Balvenie Doublewood 12, and Woodford Reserve. All are good neat. I have never had Japanese whiskey, any recommendations?

My moods change over time, in regards to what I pour.

From what you describe, go grab one of the Japanese Whisky's at Costco - Suntory, Hibiki or if you want a slight coffee aroma the Nikka is splendid. All are very smooth with zero burn at the end.

I was going to suggest Hibiki, as well. I liked it, it's not my fav, I keep going back to the Balvenie, but it's a nice one to try.

IMG_20200413_194211187_HDR.jpg

This stuff is pretty good. It's not my favorite Scotch, but it does fit the bill for smooth and no burn. It's 91 proof, but it has a heavy, almost oily body that goes down really easily. It's a peated Scotch, but only mild to medium (in my opinion). If you're ready to jump into peated Scotch with both feet, then try some Ardbeg Uigeadail. One thing I've noticed about my own whisky tastes is that I don't mind bold, aggressive whisky, but I don't like the tannin bitterness and astringency of bourbon.

Thanks for the recommendations for Japanese whiskey. I live in the middle of Wyoming so the nearest Costco is in Billings. Wyoming booze is controlled by the liquor commission, so if it isn't on the list, tough shit. OTOH, forcing retailers to buy from the commission keeps prices down because of the massive group buying power. BTW, I have a friend in Billings and I asked him to check Costco for the Yamazaki.

Found a supply of Yamazaki 50 miles from my house. Picked up some Old Forester 1910 too. The Yamazaki is pretty good. The store has a dozen bottles in the back room. I should get a couple of more but at $115.00 each I am hesitant. According to the store owner, after the Olympics all age statement Japanese whisky might get hard to find.

I have the Hakushu 12 year on the shelf. I am not a single malt guy, but this is pretty good. Clean and crisp. About the exact opposite of Ardbeg which to me is like licking an old car tire.

Buddy turned me on to Angel's Envy bourbon this week. It is SO smooth. Not sure it is actually bourbon as defined, as its aged the last six months in port wine barrels but its exceptionally smooth, sweet finish but not like a TN whiskey and WAY too easy to drink fast. I think I have a new favorite bourbon.

20200417_181041.jpg

Tried New Riff Rye last week. Not a huge fan..

To the OP, what you enjoy is the best. Enjoy the journey finding it.

Now to the so called "bourbon nerd" your opinion is all well and good and I'll respect that.

But when you make statements like Buffalo Trace is just young Pappy without the hype, then I will throw the bullshit flag on you for not knowing what the fuck you are talking about. BT distills the juice for Pappy and bottles it and distributes it. That's about it. Buffalo Trace and Pappy Van Winkle don't even share the same mashbill for crying out loud. For a bourbon nerd as you call yourself, I would think you would at least know that.
I have not had a chance to try pappy, but Buffalo Trace is not even a step up from Jim Beam. Mixing bourbon at best.

Reactions: Chips26
I found recently Glenrothes 12. It’s my new standard. I like my whiskey neat. Just a finger or two. Because of this thread I think I will try the Old Forester

Wow! I had no idea so many booze hounds were on board! I don't feel like an alkie so much anymore🤣
Anywho, a quick update on the booze I have been trying lately.
IMG_3410.jpg
IMG_3454.jpg
IMG_3489.jpg
IMG_3503.jpg

The Glenmorangie was excellent! Old Pulteney also excellent! The bourbons are very good with Buffalo Trace in there at a close third overall. I tried Aberfeldy 12 yr old scotch and that was excellent. Even tried Monkey Shoulder, a blended scotch, while good, I don't think it could stand next to the others. So far, all of the single malts have been light, floral, with no harsh finish. Just my opinions... I stumbled across the 3 sampler pack and decided to try the Lagavulin last night. It was by far, the most complex drink I have yet to taste. Smells like a house fire, and is very peated and oily. My wife could smell it (the booze😝) across the room. You easily pick up several different tastes in just a few seconds. A few drops of water and it truly opens up and becomes softer, but still bold. Definitely an acquired taste. I've yet to crack the Talisker or the Craggenmore. So far, the single malts have all been winners. I found it all too easy to drink well over half of a bottle in one evening. Just sipping and really enjoying the taste and quality with the only disappointment being that nobody was around to appreciate my airy pretentiousness and smugness as I sipped (and slipped) away...🤔

As always..good luck and good shooting!

• Love
Reactions: Austinjunks
I'm a fan of Glenmorangie. If you thought the Glenmorangie 10 was excellent, try the Glenmo La Santa and Quinta Ruban. They are about $15 more than the 10 year, but well worth it in my opinion.

I really only have one brand to mention that's heavily underrepresented here (@Labanaktis).
Try the Michters- Bourbon is good, the American is super smooth for the price, but the Celebration and 25y Sour Mash will stack up with the best thousand dollar bottles out there. Their Rye kicks the snot out of Templeton or Bulleit seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

So I can't stand scotch and am not a big bourbon fan. Prefer a good Canadian type. Any suggestions? I've always drank all the usual suspects, Crown, R&R, Black Velvet, Potters but haven't found something really smooth.

Try Caribou Crossing. It has stood out as the best of the Canadians for me. YMMV

So I can't stand scotch and am not a big bourbon fan. Prefer a good Canadian type. Any suggestions? I've always drank all the usual suspects, Crown, R&R, Black Velvet, Potters but haven't found something really smooth.

I would have thought Canadian Club to be your first choice when sampling...I like it because it is sweet and smooth...

Just get some cheap shit that blended with 60 different whiskys, blended in a bath tub, and sold in 1 gallon milk jugs! Canadian mist maybe?

why do you hate enjoying things bro!!? Do you still jerk off to memory in the age of the internet??

I got to have a nice glass of scotch to calm down...starting to get the shakes!

bench

• Haha
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
With whiskeys and people who like them, there is no accounting for taste. Everybody likes what they like, and I like bourbon. Kentucky straight bourbon, ten years old or older. Jack, Jim, and low shelf others? Dont bother. Surprisingly, I do like the taste of some very cheap whiskey like McCormick, and Evan Williams. I like Heaven Hill products.

Scotch tastes like dirt to me, but I will drink it, if I have to... I gave away a bottle of rye and wont drink it if you paid me. Just dont like the spicyness.

Irish and Canadian whisky dont have much experience with so cant comment.

And now, I will tell a true story. When I was working in Kosovo, we used to stop at a mom & pop convenience store for beer, smokes & booze. One guy got a bottle of (believe it or not) Southern Comfort. I guess made for export? This bottles was label dated 1986 so it was sitting around for 25 years or so...

Now, people say whiskey stops aging and maturing when they bottle it, but I have my own opinion about that. Normally I would classify Southern Comfort as one step above cough syrup, but this particular bottle was absolutely superb! Old whiskey really is better than newer whiskey, even the same stuff, and I would invite comments on this idea.

Also, I have friends who take low class harsh newer whiskey and put it in wide mouth glass pickle jars with oak sticks that have been baked and then charred and let it sit for a year or so. Depending on the wood, it will improve dramatically. With fresh white oak, after one year it will taste and smell like chainsawed firewood. But take the wood out and let it mellow another year and it smoothes out and smells like vanilla, spices and can be very nice. With whiskey, nothing can replace time and oak.

• Love
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
With whiskeys and people who like them, there is no accounting for taste. Everybody likes what they like, and I like bourbon. Kentucky straight bourbon, ten years old or older. Jack, Jim, and low shelf others? Dont bother. Surprisingly, I do like the taste of some very cheap whiskey like McCormick, and Evan Williams. I like Heaven Hill products.

Scotch tastes like dirt to me, but I will drink it, if I have to... I gave away a bottle of rye and wont drink it if you paid me. Just dont like the spicyness.

Irish and Canadian whisky dont have much experience with so cant comment.

And now, I will tell a true story. When I was working in Kosovo, we used to stop at a mom & pop convenience store for beer, smokes & booze. One guy got a bottle of (believe it or not) Southern Comfort. I guess made for export? This bottles was label dated 1986 so it was sitting around for 25 years or so...

Now, people say whiskey stops aging and maturing when they bottle it, but I have my own opinion about that. Normally I would classify Southern Comfort as one step above cough syrup, but this particular bottle was absolutely superb! Old whiskey really is better than newer whiskey, even the same stuff, and I would invite comments on this idea.

Also, I have friends who take low class harsh newer whiskey and put it in wide mouth glass pickle jars with oak sticks that have been baked and then charred and let it sit for a year or so. Depending on the wood, it will improve dramatically. With fresh white oak, after one year it will taste and smell like chainsawed firewood. But take the wood out and let it mellow another year and it smoothes out and smells like vanilla, spices and can be very nice. With whiskey, nothing can replace time and oak.
Sacrilege with explanation is still sacrilege

Bench

Was in Italy a few years back and had the pleasure of taste this and i got hooked.
gmg.jpg

Reactions: bkglock
Buy local.

20200621_212810.jpg

I import this from accross town.

Looking forward to some aged longer but this year is initial release I believe.

It's stout and you may want a couple of rocks in the glass.

Look around and at least try local / American.

Blantons
Four Rose's Small Batch
And you have to include
Horse Soldier Bourbon (Okay they are Green Beret Vets, but I won't hold that against them, even though I'm sure a couple Devil Dogs would make a better bourbon, BAMCIS)

Attachments

• images (13).jpeg
    images (13).jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 30
Bench,

Not sure what you're on about, but I'll invite ya over for a wee nip anyway! What's sacrilege, anyway? I don't know what that means. And who cares what I think?

-no accounting for taste, everybody likes what they like
-I like bourbon
-scotch tastes like dirt to me
-I very much dislike rye
-Southern Comfort is like cough syrup
-people who make whiskey at home (legal in Missouri, according to Mo state liquor laws) often age it in charred oak, to improve it's qualities and this takes time, several years.
-store-bought low shelf stuff can be improved

But that's... just, like... y'know... MY opinion, man.

I liked Glenfiddich 18 yr. for a long time.
Did not like any Macallan versions I tried.
Finally ended up w/ Glenfiddich 21 yr, very smooth, my favorite!
glen-21yr.png