• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship The dangers of leaving your steel at the range.

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
For those of you who leave your steel targets on a public range for other people to use, I submit the following warning in this section on advanced marksmanship:

It must be getting close to deer season, because so many people are busy sighting in their rifles for the kind of 'long range' hunting popular on television these days.

I arrive at the local range this morning, only to discover that someone has left their steel target at 500m for others to use. When I investigate, I find the following target:
hynajyge.jpg

Here's a close up of the annotation, clearly written by someone other than the owner of the target:
ype5ugan.jpg

Last edited:
This is the kind of thing that will happen when Rifles Only does a Michigan training class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks, it gave me a good idea for a different rack / hanging system using that channeling stuff

could be they were just eyeballing a size to be cut for 500, only had the big plate, and figured just draw it on. or i wonder who wrote the second annotation ;)

it' a PIA to take in and out my steel for my local match, racks and 30+ plates of steel, but you know what would happen if left out for a few nights?

the same thing as any bicycle frames or any metal left on the curb for garbage night. i wouldn't leave anything out these days with the scappers out there.

i love the deer season guys that shoot there 1 box per year at 100yds, put 20rnds all over a pie plate that looks like a shotgun pattern and high five each other.

graham, if you happen to be by that target again, can you take a picture of the back and post or PM it to me?

You mean the ones some police departments are using these days? LoL.
SF knows how to use them (or not). Barney Fife, not so much....

I have full size IPSC steel targets that I will use in some LE rifle courses - for rifle shooting.

For those of you who leave your steel targets on a public range for other people to use, I submit the following warning in this section on advanced marksmanship:

It must be getting close to deer season, because so many people are busy sighting in their rifles for the kind of 'long range' hunting popular on television these days.

I arrive at the local range this morning, only to discover that someone has left their steel target at 500m for others to use. When I investigate, I find the following target:
hynajyge.jpg

Here's a close up of the annotation, clearly written by someone other than the owner of the target:
ype5ugan.jpg

Hey....I recognize that place. :)

I almost went yesterday as I had the day off. Decided against it though as I thought the weather was going to keep up on the rain we've been getting.

I see no point using anything bigger than a golfball for a target inside 1 mile. C'mon guys this is snipers hide.

The dangers of leaving your steel at the range.

Update for Adam: It looks like someone got frustrated and, in order to hit the 500m box, blasted the target a very close range damaging the steel.
ehu9epe2.jpg

Last edited:
I think its cool that people leave steel for others to shoot and it doesn't get stolen. Last weekend I forgot to grab my steel target (only about $50 total) and someone had stolen it. I hope the bullet ricochet's and hits them in the face.

was the range busy today, I am thinking about going down there tomorrow

YES!! it was busy today and Tuesday. I came down Tuesday and there were a ton more than I usually see so I actually left. came back today and it was the same but I decided to stay and shoot a little. I think it's going to be that way until after opening day nest week. I think i'm gonna stay away for a while.

YES!! it was busy today and Tuesday. I came down Tuesday and there were a ton more than I usually see so I actually left. came back today and it was the same but I decided to stay and shoot a little. I think it's going to be that way until after opening day nest week. I think i'm gonna stay away for a while.
Check the calendar: Today and tomorrow are 'sight-in' days, better known as 'yahoo central'. Adam, PM inbound.

Check the calendar: Today and tomorrow are 'sight-in' days, better known as 'yahoo central'. Adam, PM inbound.

Sight in days are on Saturday and sunday. nothing on the calendar for Thursday or Friday aside from skeet and new member orientation. For as busy as it was yesterday.....I imagine this weekend will be worse! :)

You're right. I screwed-up on the dates. But I can tell you that it's 0930 and both rifle ranges already busy today.

A day at a crowded range is still better than a day spent in hospital waiting rooms. This sucks.

Perhaps, but- especially this time of year- one can lead to the other...

Someone brought a plate rack to the range .......... and someone else came along and ruined it.

Attachments

• PlateRack.jpg
    PlateRack.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 21
Someone brought a plate rack to the range .......... and someone else came along and ruined it.
what a shame, sounds like my local range, which is shared with LE. LE had their plate rack out and we were allowed to use it (pistol only) but people kept shooting it with rifles, messed it up for everybody

Pfffft. That little square he traced out is what I used for 2 miles with my 270 huntin rifle and the Leupold 3-9x it is wearing. Never forget that the Remington Core-Lokt is the deadliest mushroom in the woods.

You're not supposed to eat those.

I don't know why, but I got a visual of some guy (idiot type in the movies) running through the woods and 'catching' a bullet in the teeth:D This visual then progressed to seeing him run into any and everything you could with the teeth, while running through the woods...made me laugh.:cool:

It's been a few years, but I 'm pretty sure that's the South Kent Sportsmen Club range. It's not exactly "public" you have to pay a yearly fee or be guest of a member. Nice range, nice of someone to put that out there, too bad some idiot is blasting it up at close range.