• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors The economical(cheap) 1911's

jpcowboy5

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2005
Alfalfa county, OK
Anyone have experience with any of the cheaper 1911's today? Theres Rock Island, Firestorm, etc and was wondering about any of these for a leave in the truck pistol. Wont get shot much, just an under the seat gun. Had looked at quite a few under $500 so lets go from that price and see if anyone has any input. Thanks

Re: The economical(cheap) 1911's

I have a Rock Island base model GI/Milspec and my buddy has a Norinco. My RI has been flawless. I fitted an Ed Brown beavertail, a 10-8 trigger, and all Ed Brown internals. I have my gunsmith friend cutting the slide to fit some Heinie sights on it. After that I'm going to attempt coating it myself.

And, maybe down the road I'll try to fit a match barrel but the thing shoots so well I don't really want to mess with the barrel.

I had a Firestorm and for the money it was pretty accurate and always functioned, never had any problems with it.

I got a Rock Island about 2 years ago. I did make a couple of mods just for looks (ie skeleton trigger, hammer) but the things that made the biggest difference were,

Hand fitting a match barrel bushing
New sights
Tweek the trigger to be a little lighter.

Now the accuracy is VERY good and it has run flawlessly for over 2000 rounds.

I will tell to you to keep any eye on the factory mainspring as mine wore out right around 1000 rounds. I dropped in a Wolff +10% replacement and never looked back.

CM.

The rock islands are supposed to be very good.

Honestly though, even though it's not your ? if you want a gun you can load, toss in a truck and never worry about it functioning spend the $500 on a glock. They will run hands down across the board better when neglected than anything short of 1911's costing 5x as much.

find a norinco...........its what some of the high end custom's are made from....the chinks did some very good metal in them....

1911's are my favorite pistol and I own more of them than everything else I have combined (and that's a lot!). However, if you really are going to toss it under the seat and forget about it, the Glock suggestion mentioned above is about as good an idea as there is.

Llama makes an affordable 1911 as well. I have a MiniMax, their Colt Officer size model, for a very similar purpose as the OP proposes.

I believe it cost a little over $300.00 five years ago, new. The Llama mags are obscenely priced ($45.00!!!), but I bought a bunch of other maker's "Officer" magazines (MecGar, Shooting star, etc.), and filed the catch notches on each to function in the Llama. They work great.

I even made some grips for them out of some Cocobolo I bought for the purpose of making grips! I have much to learn...

I'm still shopping but found a norinco for about $425. Dont think thats too bad for something you can put a little back into if you want and get a good piece upgraded easily. Thanks for all the input. Appreciate the glock input but wanting a 1911.

The Metro Arms 1911's (FireStorm and the American Classic II) are VERY nice. The Rock Island Armory's are nice as well and they have a good reputaion of CS if something should go wrong (the only real complaint that I see from Taurus owners is that they get a gun back from repair that they forgot they even owned because it took so long).

I have two RIA Compact Tacticals and one FireStorm Government DLX on order. The older Llama guns were good, but not to Ordinance Specifications... in other words not all 1911 parts will fit and Llama is out of business so what's on the shelves is all the spare parts out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Llama is out of business so what's on the shelves is all the spare parts out there. </div></div>

Well I guess I'm on my own then...

Kinda felt that way when I started modifying other maker's mags to work in it. Damn shame though as the Spanish guns were a big help in the fight against Euro-communinsm and facism too, ironically enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would just buy a Springfield Armory GI or Mil-Spec.

Jim </div></div>

Best source for US made good to go non firing pin safety 1911's. They make great platforms to grow on and can be had relatively cheap right now.

I havent shot the GI version, but my 10 yr old "loaded" 1911 has been a great little pistol. The only trouble that I have had with it was with some really cheap plinkin ammo not fully ejecting. With quality ammo, it has gone bang everytime.

Fine if you like the old style brass in the forehead ejection. MilSpec is better in that its got bigger (better IMHO) sights, and a lowered/flared ejection port.

I never had any problems with either the Micro GI or the Govt GI I had......

I just got a Springfield 1911 mil spec that I really appreciate. For being on the cheaper side of the 1911 spectrum it does its job very well. I like that it has a lowered ejection port for "aftermarket" ammo and the 3 dot sights work well but it still pulls off the old school look of a ww2 era 1911. It's simple but beautiful and it works. Just get mecgar or wilson magazines and you'll be good to go.

+1 on the norinco advice. i got one in the early ninety's due to price point, but wish id bought 10 of em now cuz it runs tighter groups and has better fit and more durable finish than my colt. ive read that the steel is better but have no way to verify this claim. all i ever did to it is bevel the mag well and polish the feed ramp. only complaint is the tiny sights but really they are actually an advantage for carry.

had a Norinco sent to a smith for some custom work. The smith charged me extra for all the tooling he broke trying to do machine work on it. He said it must have been made from old rail road track or something. It was a good, fun, economical 1911 but there are better / comparable price options.

If you want a cheap, throw-it-under-the-seat-and-forget-it .45, it's hard to beat the Hi-Points. For about $150 give or take ten bucks it's fugly and top heavy but you're not going to worry about its finish rattling around in the truck and they do work reliably. They're even accurate once one learns to handle the trigger. With any luck, you'll even have enough old motor oil and greasy rags under that seat to keep your Hi-Point greased and (relatively) rust protected.

That said, I have a Rock Island 1911 CS Compact and love it. It's very accurate, very reliable, eats anything from GI ball to LSWC ammo without an argument, and easy to CCW. However... keeping it from rusting in hot, humid summer weather worn against the skin IWB is an ongoing learning process. Even with Militec it wants to rust in inconvenient places if not cleaned and oiled thoroughly after being carried. By that I mean complete disassembly to clean and oil under the grips, inside the plunger tube, inside the extractor tunnel, etc. But then, the weather here has been 95+ degrees with 90%+ humidity. Carrying the gun in the other three seasons is a delight. But that rust says you don't want it for a truck gun. Get something cheaper like the Hi-Point or something made of polymer and powder-type coatings like the Charles Daly BUL M5 UltraX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">had a Norinco sent to a smith for some custom work. The smith charged me extra for all the tooling he broke trying to do machine work on it. He said it must have been made from old rail road track or something. It was a good, fun, economical 1911 but there are better / comparable price options. </div></div>

This is a bad thing how?
All parts on the Norinco are milled from barstock with a grade of steel that is above military specifications. Reliability, accuracy and function on my Norinco has been absolutely flawless, it is the most reliable 1911 I have ever had the pleasure of owning.

I would pass on the Rock Island. Call me paranoid but I don't trust an investment cast 1911 and I have heard far too many stories and witnessed too many failures from the RIA line to ever trust my life to one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: David Hineline</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cheapest models of Taurus will be a bit over $500 </div></div>

The Taurus is a piece of shit. The grip is blocky where it should be round, the overall fit is terrible, and the triggers leave something to be desired. Overall, they tried to make a $600 pistol with the features reserved for a $1000 one and it shows. Holding onto the Taurus with those improperly radiused corners is like holding onto a 2x4 and defeats the purpose of carrying a single stack gun.

I hate to say it, but the cheap Springfields are probably about the lowest I'd go. I still prefer an American made 1911, and not because I'm some kind of guy that says "buy American" about everything, either. The 1911 was designed to be made on machines that measure in inches, and equipment that does as well. The Brazilians seem to do an ok job, but American gunsmiths they are not.

There's nothing wrong with a cheap 1911. Just don't expect it to be a fighting pistol with modern features like a beavertail, lowered/flared ejection port, ambidextrous thumb safeties, dovetail sights, etc. A cheap 1911 lacks these features. It will probably be fit loosely so it runs well. But it can still be a decent shooter without all of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The Taurus is a piece of shit. The grip is blocky where it should be round, the overall fit is terrible, and the triggers leave something to be desired. Overall, they tried to make a $600 pistol with the features reserved for a $1000 one and it shows. Holding onto the Taurus with those improperly radiused corners is like holding onto a 2x4 and defeats the purpose of carrying a single stack gun.</div></div>
I don't own one, but the box stock one I shot of my friends would have me disagree, it was pretty much another 1911 that worked well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to say it, but the cheap Springfields are probably about the lowest I'd go. I still prefer an American made 1911, and not because I'm some kind of guy that says "buy American" about everything, either. The 1911 was designed to be made on machines that measure in inches, and equipment that does as well. The Brazilians seem to do an ok job, but American gunsmiths they are not.</div></div>

Check you Springfield's frame, probably says "Imbel" like mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's nothing wrong with a cheap 1911. Just don't expect it to be a fighting pistol with modern features like a beavertail, lowered/flared ejection port, ambidextrous thumb safeties, dovetail sights, etc. A cheap 1911 lacks these features. It will probably be fit loosely so it runs well. But it can still be a decent shooter without all of that. </div></div>

Cheap to 1911 is relative.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't own one, but the box stock one I shot of my friends would have me disagree, it was pretty much another 1911 that worked well.</div></div>

Take it apart and analyze the fit. That should be enough to convince you if the boxy grip doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check you Springfield's frame, probably says "Imbel" like mine.</div></div>

I don't have Springfields. I don't care for their shitty slide to frame fit, which is just one thing that is severely lacking on a foreign made 1911. I have two Kimbers which are both 100% Made in USA (although their current offerings are not, mine were made in the days when it was CLEAR on their website that every part of every Kimber pistol was 100% made in USA).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheap to 1911 is relative. </div></div>

Relative to what? A $400 pistol is cheap by any mainstream American standard. The cheaper Brazil-made Springfields are a hair over $500.

No pissing contest, as I don't think we're too far apart thinking, but my Yonkers pre-II Custom doesn't have any advantage fit-wise to my Springers......and of course my RR/Colt 1942 shooter is the sloppiest but best-running one I have!

I've owned many 1911's in my life, I had a Llama that you you had to use +P's in in order for it to feed, I have had several Colts, I even had a Kimber when they first came out. When Kimber first hit the market, they offered a "race-gun" at an off the shelf price, much cheaper than a Colt base model. That being said, they also had some quality issues with MIM parts which they corrected, and proceeded to take over the market.

Armscorp makes Charles Dailey 1911's, Rock Island, and of course their own Armscorp brand. I have two Rock Islands G.I.s, one is stock, the other I put a few mods in (Skeletonized trigger, Hammer, Beavertail, complete triggerjob including polishing rails and ways, two piece guiderod, 4 finger leafspring, polished feadramp, hand fitted bushing, and set of Kimber desert grips) I did this just because I wanted to, the only thing I really had to do to the stock model was grind the hammer spur down so it wouldn't bite me everytime I fired it.

The ejection port is already lowered and flared, and the only USGI part that doesn't interchange (as far as 1911's go) are the ecsrutions for the grip screws. The grip screws fit, but if you really want USGI escrutions, a drill bit and tap will fix the problem.

The "built" gun is my carry gun, I have less than $500.00 in it, and it shoots everything I put through it, I had some feed issues during the break-in period (cheap mags were the culprit) but she now feeds everything I put through her. I have won enough money off of range bets to more than recover the expenses of both guns, and the mods on my carry gun. Mostly I win money off of Kimber owners (not Kimber shooters, I mean the guys who read two articles, and go buy a Kimber thinking it will automatically make them a dead-eye shot). At the risk of sounding like I am full of shit, I can bouce a gallon jug all over the range at between 50 and 75 yards. I'm not trash-talking high end guns, if you can afford them, buy them, but I can't anymore, so I work with what I have. My R.I.s are consistant, and that's the trick about ANY firearm, as long as the POI is the same, you adjust your sights and shooting accordingly. I would and do stake my life on my R.I. the only real complaint I have is the factory finish, the parkerizing sucks, and wears off quickly if you use a polymer holster, especially the slide. I stripped mine, hot blued the slide, and re-parked the frame. the finish seems to hold up well now.
I picked up a match barrel and link for it, but I haven't fitted it, the factory barrel is working fine for now, I just like to have spare parts on hand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There's nothing wrong with a cheap 1911. Just don't expect it to be a fighting pistol with modern features like a beavertail, lowered/flared ejection port, ambidextrous thumb safeties, dovetail sights, etc. A cheap 1911 lacks these features. It will probably be fit loosely so it runs well. But it can still be a decent shooter without all of that. </div></div>

I will soon be selling my RIA fullsize tactical thas has ambi saftey, dovetail sights, lowered flared ejection port and beavertail. it has flawlessy fed everthing but SXT from kimber mags. this gun has been my daily carry and won a few bucks shooting dueling trees. I have put almost 600 rounds downrange with only the previous mentioned FTRTB with a certain ammo mag combo. I will buy another and can find no reason not to recommend them to others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghost3x7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Armscorp makes Charles Dailey 1911's, Rock Island, and of course their own Armscorp brand. </div></div>

Not to mention STI Trojans and Spartans.......

Mine doesn't seem to care for Wilson Combat mags, they fit and feed, but you have to push them in in order for them to latch up. A little bit (and I mean LITTLE bit) of work with a diamond file cures the problem though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: prossound</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
There's nothing wrong with a cheap 1911. Just don't expect it to be a fighting pistol with modern features like a beavertail, lowered/flared ejection port, ambidextrous thumb safeties, dovetail sights, etc. A cheap 1911 lacks these features. It will probably be fit loosely so it runs well. But it can still be a decent shooter without all of that. </div></div>

I will soon be selling my RIA fullsize tactical thas has ambi saftey, dovetail sights, lowered flared ejection port and beavertail. it has flawlessy fed everthing but SXT from kimber mags. this gun has been my daily carry and won a few bucks shooting dueling trees. I have put almost 600 rounds downrange with only the previous mentioned FTRTB with a certain ammo mag combo. I will buy another and can find no reason not to recommend them to others. </div></div>

Not sure how much it costs, but it sounds like an excellent value 1911 with all those features, as long as it's fit better than the Taurus.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No pissing contest, as I don't think we're too far apart thinking, but my Yonkers pre-II Custom doesn't have any advantage fit-wise to my Springers......and of course my RR/Colt 1942 shooter is the sloppiest but best-running one I have!
</div></div>

I've never even seen a TRP with the slide to frame fit that my Kimbers have. It's like night and day.

Not sure how much it costs, but it sounds like an excellent value 1911 with all those features, as long as it's fit better than the Taurus. </div></div>

I bought it used with 50 rounds through it for $450. I think it was an great deal. I changed the grips and added some mags so I will be selling for around the same. my right hand was torn up in a motorcycle wreck so I can not get a fast first shot off with a gun that has a beavertail safety

4sale013.jpg

Yup, that's a Rock, if you look close at the trigger guard, you can see a slight difference in Rocks, and other 1911 clones. The Rock Island isn't as squared off or as large as other clones. Still a good shooter though, I love mine. Good looking piece.

I love the look of a 1911 without front serrations.

Dad has a Springfield GI. The sights suck & the brass hits you in the forehead (often). That being said, it's gone bang every time. I fired a Taurus 1911, I recall liking the sights. Think they were Heinie's...

Where's a good place to buy a rock Island 1911? (Nickel)

I did a google search and the dealer that popped-up has 4 different models all on back order. I did find one on Gunsamerica, but was wondering if any of you knew of a better place to buy them from?

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He Shoot Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where's a good place to buy a rock Island 1911? (Nickel)

I did a google search and the dealer that popped-up has 4 different models all on back order. I did find one on Gunsamerica, but was wondering if any of you knew of a better place to buy them from?

Thanks,

-Pat </div></div>

look here http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134100422 the guy has 6 nickel tacticals for sale $485 seems to be his price

Well I started this post so its my duty to follow up. I did a trade/purchase for a new Rock Island. I even read back thru all the posts here, still planning on a 1911 only. Out the door money was $385 after tax. Figured that was under what I planned money wise, still a 1911 and had good feedback from everyone I talked with. They had about every style of RI there including the "national match" but I stayed in limit and came out ok. Gun functions great, no issues at this time. Only fed the factory clip so far with Win ammo and no problems. Will try other ammo and other clips. Will be putting a Pearce grip on it for personal preference but at this time, thats all it gets.
Thanks for all the input.