• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Fix from Q

So I’m back from home from my weekend class with @Lowlight up here in Alaska, and man was it a blast. I took my Fix with me equipped with the Proof 6.5 barrel shooting Hornady 147s. That was my first time shooting beyond 500 yards and it was pretty exciting. Unfortunately I was having too much fun and didn’t take too many pictures. I did not realize how bad my fundamentals were until I had Marc and Frank yelling in my ear what I was doing wrong.
I shot a 1moa 5 shot group at 100yards the first day for my eval, and at the end of day two I would of shot a .25moa group, but got excited on shot four and pulled a flier. So much for concentrating on my fundamentals.
Now that I’m home, I need to hit the range and make sure I haven’t forgotten everything. And I’ll make sure to take pictures of my groups this time.
The rifle performed flawlessly, and didn’t have a single issue. If anyone has any doubts on how the rifle shoots, I’d recommend taking a class from Frank.

Photo credit of my rifle goes to @JT505

Side note, it was pretty awesome watching Frank grab my gun, dial on my dope to 1000, and go 3 for 3.

Haha, that's awesome! Well done!

I saw an image of the mini-fix in 300 blk, but there doesnt seem to be any info on their site (and i cant get on the social media since i was blocked by Kevin)
Does the Fix match the HB w/ a 7" 1-5 twist 300 blk?
What is the reasoning for the incredibly fast twist?

Reactions: deersniper
I saw an image of the mini-fix in 300 blk, but there doesnt seem to be any info on their site (and i cant get on the social media since i was blocked by Kevin)
Most likely will be 1:5 twist. It’s for stabilizing heavy subsonic bullets.

The stat I saw on the gram was a 8” barrel, probably a 1-5 twist I’m guessing since it wasn’t listed.
Kit Badger has a few posts on Instagram and did a video series about it.

Reactions: Kevin Brittingham
That is beautiful where abouts in AK? Like you I've been stuck at 550 yards can't wait to start the learning! Love the Fix that's on my radar downstream. Have done a ton of fishing out of Bristol Bay Lodge.....Togiak is freaking amazing
The class is held in Talkeetna, about a 2hr drive north of Anchorage. Everyone stays at the Sheep Creek Lodge, which has some wonderful staff and a well stocked bar, at least it was well stocked before the classes started?.
I live a little farther south in Kodiak.

I mean that, accuracy, and the projectile expands fast and better due the rpm. That’s all I can think of

I am sorry, I am still new to this. Can you clarify this? "the projectile expands fast and better due to the rpm"?

Ephram

I am sorry, I am still new to this. Can you clarify this? "the projectile expands fast and better due to the rpm"?

Ephram
Prarie dog shooters have long noted this, faster twist and the bullets make a bigger spray/more aerobatic display out of the prairie dogs than a slower, gentler twist.
How much difference it will make in a subsonic 30 cal? I suspect not much... but maybe that little extra twist will actually be enough for a subsonic to actually expand for once? Doubt it though.

Prarie dog shooters have long noted this, faster twist and the bullets make a bigger spray/more aerobatic display out of the prairie dogs than a slower, gentler twist.
How much difference it will make in a subsonic 30 cal? I suspect not much... but maybe that little extra twist will actually be enough for a subsonic to actually expand for once? Doubt it though.

KB has talked about this quite a bit in his podcast, and basically its about expansion and more revs turned inside the target. He said the 12” 8.6 Creed barrels may be as fast as 1 in 3 with a 300 plus grain bullet.

For you guys running 16" 6.5's how far have you stretched it out? I had never considered anything but 22-24" in a 6.5, but ran some ballistics on various factory loads which shows you can still reach out to ~ 1,100ish(I took some assumptions on MV from the Rifleshooter article on shorterning 6.5 barrel lengths. ~ 2500 with 16").

For you guys running 16" 6.5's how far have you stretched it out? I had never considered anything but 22-24" in a 6.5, but ran some ballistics on various factory loads which shows you can still reach out to ~ 1,100ish(I took some assumptions on MV from the Rifleshooter article on shorterning 6.5 barrel lengths. ~ 2500 with 16").

I’m very interested to see results.

Will 120’s be worth the initial velocity?

I have a 20” bartlein and a 24” proof carbon barrel.

If I see good results the 20” will definitely get chopped.

The handling of the 16” .308 bartlein is something else.

However with my current stock I want a 6mm barrel. Either 6XC or a 6mmbr

I’m very interested to see results.

Will 120’s be worth the initial velocity?

I have a 20” bartlein and a 24” proof carbon barrel.

If I see good results the 20” will definitely get chopped.

The handling of the 16” .308 bartlein is something else.

However with my current stock I want a 6mm barrel. Either 6XC or a 6mmbr
I run a Q Thunder Chicken and have wondered if there might be any MV I pick up with that on a 16". That's a question that's always bugged me if I'm wasting powder burn in a shorter barrel does my can potentially pick some of that up? Anywho....if I can reach 1,000 with a 16" I'm probably gonna be pretty happy with that the more I think about it.

I run a Q Thunder Chicken and have wondered if there might be any MV I pick up with that on a 16". That's a question that's always bugged me if I'm wasting powder burn in a shorter barrel does my can potentially pick some of that up? Anywho....if I can reach 1,000 with a 16" I'm probably gonna be pretty happy with that the more I think about it.

There is no reason whatsoever why you can’t reach 1k with a 16” 6.5 creed. You'll still be spanking the average 308 in drift. I wouldn’t bank on any additional velocity with the suppressor. Whatever it does, it will be marginal.

There is no reason whatsoever why you can’t reach 1k with a 16” 6.5 creed. You'll still be spanking the average 308 in drift. I wouldn’t bank on any additional velocity with the suppressor. Whatever it does, it will be marginal.
Great thanks man

Ive killed big game animals out to 800yrds with my shorty creedmore. You wont have issues, my shorty grendel makes it to 1k

Wonder why you were blocked?

8" 1:5
Stabilizes heavy subs, more accurate, better consistency and terminal performance from higher rpm.

It works. Consistently.

KB has talked about this quite a bit in his podcast, and basically its about expansion and more revs turned inside the target. He said the 12” 8.6 Creed barrels may be as fast as 1 in 3 with a 300 plus grain bullet.
We are testing down to 1:1. RPM is part of the energy on target equation.

Short 6.5CM barrels (~10") are are still supersonic at 1,000 yards. The 143eldx expands to 600yards out of the 16" barrel. I've shot deer at over 500 yards with it.

Can definitely reach 1,000 yards with 16". Silencers will provide only a slight velocity increase, likely similar to your SD's.

Reactions: atepointer
Wonder why you were blocked?

8" 1:5
Stabilizes heavy subs, more accurate, better consistency and terminal performance from higher rpm.

We covered this a few weeks back, but I was the one questioning how you tested to find the 8.6 to be quieter than a 22lr sub, but we already hashed that out on here.

thanks for answering my question. Did you test anything faster, or did you just keep going faster until you were happy? At what legnth would you say a 1-7 will stabilize the 230s to your satisfaction? Not that theres much reason to in a platform like this, but how would supers perform in the 8" 1-5"?

We covered this a few weeks back, but I was the one questioning how you tested to find the 8.6 to be quieter than a 22lr sub, but we already hashed that out on here.

thanks for answering my question. Did you test anything faster, or did you just keep going faster until you were happy? At what legnth would you say a 1-7 will stabilize the 230s to your satisfaction? Not that theres much reason to in a platform like this, but how would supers perform in the 8" 1-5"?

You are welcome.

We always test to destruction or failure. The problem going faster than 1:5 in 300blk is that the, at the time, .mil selected sub barrier blind ammo would expanded upon muzzle exit.

I'm comfortable with 16" 1:7 for 230gr subs.

Supers are better spinning faster, for energy on target.

I know all the rage is a compact pistol config, but will you be offering the Mini Fix in 300 BLK with a 16 inch barrel and the regular adjustable rifle buttstock?

I know all the rage is a compact pistol config, but will you be offering the Mini Fix in 300 BLK with a 16 inch barrel and the regular adjustable rifle buttstock?

I think they are just going to offer pistols and the rifle butt-stock separately, at least that was the last thing I heard/saw on it.

The fix puts in work

Attachments

• ADAC06FB-61D0-438F-A8C5-9DFF35BA631E.jpeg
    ADAC06FB-61D0-438F-A8C5-9DFF35BA631E.jpeg
    233.9 KB · Views: 240
I agree with everything but the adding weight part. Certainly your choice, but for me the low weight and compactness while folded is its greatest attraction to me. I’ve owned a pile of customs, and this thing is just plain interesting to me. I really enjoy it.

Mine has a heavy 22” 6.5 cm barrel. As soon as my sendero lite proof blank gets here, it’ll be a 16.5” 6.5 Lapua.

And that’s the best part! Sounds like you know what you wanna do and it will be great for you!

Regarding the magazine feeding issues that have been discussed here at length, I finally encountered them. The rifle feeds 100% when shot from a bipod where the magazine hangs freely. When I was practicing unsupported standing, sitting, and kneeling I had a tendency to use the magazine well as a grip including a few fingers pulling on the magazine. This resulted in enough downward cant that I saw consistent feeding issues with the Magpul magazines that shipped with the rifle.

Adding the suggested fuzzy strip of velcro to the front inside of the magazine well does appear to correct this. Perhaps a gifted machinist (or Q) could look at replacing the nut that is press-fit into the front of the magazine well with an assembly that protrudes further into the magazine well to correct this issue permanently.

Reactions: Snicklefritzz
Mine feeds like a champ so far.

Anyone shooting longer bullets switched to a mag that allows a longer overall length? With the pmag I’m jumping a 140ELDM about .090. Just starting load development so not sure how jump tolerant they and the rifle are. 24” proof barrel, 6.5 creed.

Anyone shooting longer bullets switched to a mag that allows a longer overall length? With the pmag I’m jumping a 140ELDM about .090. Just starting load development so not sure how jump tolerant they and the rifle are. 24” proof barrel, 6.5 creed.

Which mags have a longer COAL capability?

Ephram

My load is awesome in the 24” 6.5 creedmoor proof barrel loaded to PMag length. I hit a node that the figures speak for themselves. I could go faster but I don’t need to.

Sadly I lost the photo of the group. .3 MOA.

My feeding issues were non existent yesterday with over 100 rounds.

Attachments

• F355029A-02B3-4C7E-910F-3D657305C87B.jpeg
    F355029A-02B3-4C7E-910F-3D657305C87B.jpeg
    666.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 3CEE212F-C834-4042-846F-94A32DB27F34.jpeg
    3CEE212F-C834-4042-846F-94A32DB27F34.jpeg
    776 KB · Views: 192
  • 2590CBB6-02CB-43F6-98A8-0491A35E3423.jpeg
    2590CBB6-02CB-43F6-98A8-0491A35E3423.jpeg
    674 KB · Views: 194
My load is awesome in the 24” 6.5 creedmoor proof barrel loaded to PMag length. I hit a node that the figures speak for themselves. I could go faster but I don’t need to.

Sadly I lost the photo of the group. .3 MOA.

My feeding issues were non existent yesterday with over 100 rounds.
41.2gr h4350, 140 eldm at mag length?

Regarding the magazine feeding issues that have been discussed here at length, I finally encountered them. The rifle feeds 100% when shot from a bipod where the magazine hangs freely. When I was practicing unsupported standing, sitting, and kneeling I had a tendency to use the magazine well as a grip including a few fingers pulling on the magazine. This resulted in enough downward cant that I saw consistent feeding issues with the Magpul magazines that shipped with the rifle.

Adding the suggested fuzzy strip of velcro to the front inside of the magazine well does appear to correct this. Perhaps a gifted machinist (or Q) could look at replacing the nut that is press-fit into the front of the magazine well with an assembly that protrudes further into the magazine well to say correct this issue permanently.

Sorry to be the lazy guy, but even when I read the original post I didn’t quite understand where the strip needed to be. INSIDE the mag well toward the rear or buttstock? How far up into the magwell? I have had enough issues that I bought a KAC mag hoping it would fix it. If I run the bolt hot it’s fine, but those times I forget, it’s annoying and I have to drop the mag. :(

Sorry to be the lazy guy, but even when I read the original post I didn’t quite understand where the strip needed to be. INSIDE the mag well toward the rear or buttstock? How far up into the magwell? I have had enough issues that I bought a KAC mag hoping it would fix it. If I run the bolt hot it’s fine, but those times I forget, it’s annoying and I have to drop the mag. :(

Inside front of the magwell right above the magwell flare and covering the press-fit nut.