• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing The GA Precision Stamp

GasLight

That Guy
Banned !
Minuteman
Hello, am curious if George or anyone else in the know can explain why some of GA's work bear's their acid etched logo, and why some doesn't?

I was under the impression before that they only 'stamp' stuff that they build and have to pay the excise tax on, but it was brought to my attention that they may sometimes stamp a re-barrel job?

Thanks for any clarification

Dave

Re: The GA Precision Stamp

Also if it's a re-barrel then the customer can ask that it not be marked.

If it is partial build, and we don't know who is doing the rest of the work, then usually we won't put or mark on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moondawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is partial build, and we don't know who is doing the rest of the work, then usually we won't put or mark on them.</div></div>

I sent you guys my barreled action a while back, and had you shorten the barrel to 20", install an FTE, face the action, install a new bolt and lap the lugs. During the action facing there was enough taken to require a re-touch of the chamber with your reamer... Just curious why this type of work didn't warrant a stamp?

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave ©</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Moondawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it is partial build, and we don't know who is doing the rest of the work, then usually we won't put or mark on them.</div></div>

I sent you guys my barreled action a while back, and had you shorten the barrel to 20", install an FTE, face the action, install a new bolt and lap the lugs. During the action facing there was enough taken to require a re-touch of the chamber with your reamer... Just curious why this type of work didn't warrant a stamp?

Dave</div></div>

I'd guess since they didn't bed the rifle. Many smiths only stamp if they do enough work to guarantee accuracy. Drop that hot BA into a piece o crap stock and it may shoot 2 moa.

I would think they would stamp a barreled action they built, so I don't see why bedding would make the difference.

On the side of the barrel just above the stock line.

Maybe they knew Dave would be shooting it and that might reflect poorly on them as a company
laugh.gif

Just kidding DD.

If they don't bed it or supply the barrel, kinda hard for them to guarantee the accuracy. I had them do one for me and it was
an extra barrel I had laying around. It didn't get stamped.
After they measured the bore I was just plain lucky it shot
great. It was a little over 309 and still shot great. Who knows.
I should have spent the money and got a better barrel, etc all from them. The resale would be higher.

My other GAP rifle was completely done by them and has the stamp.

I think the discussion is in regards to the GA Precision logo that is typically found on or infront of the shank of the barrel, above stock-line.

They have one of my 700 actions in .223 now. I am having them put on a barrel, treaded, bolt stop, true the action and a trigger job. I am dropping it into a 2.0 I am getting from Bauer Arms. I hope they stamp this gun for me. I guess I should call them to make sure they do.

I asked for the stamp on my barrel. George said it's only for complete builds or I guess I should say there line of rifles.

If we do the barrel work and the bedding it gets a stamp, If its a barreled action and we put it in a customers Chassis System or HS (Bedding block) type stock) it gets a stamp.

Cutting and Crowning, Accuracy work. Brake additions, Finish work dont get the Stamp unless its in combo with barrel and bedding.
A while back we stamped everything becouse guys wanted us too, We noticedthen too many guns were being labled "built by GAP" when sold that we barly had a hand in. That didnt really sit well with us so we decided to change the policy on it.

If your are buying a Chassis for a GAP barreled action you have on order just send us the chassis. We dont charge to install a chassis.

Dave they have you on file on the work they did for you. If your going to sell the gun just have them print out a billing sheet showing the work they did.

George,
I sent in a Remington 700 action to have you put one of your barrels on it, thread the barrel, true the action, do a trigger job and put one of your bolt stops in it. For you to put your stamp on it do I need to send in the AICS and have you put it in it?
Thanks
Kevin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If we do the barrel work and the bedding it gets a stamp, If its a barreled action and we put it in a customers Chassis System or HS (Bedding block) type stock) it gets a stamp.

Cutting and Crowning, Accuracy work. Brake additions, Finish work dont get the Stamp unless its in combo with barrel and bedding.
A while back we stamped everything becouse guys wanted us too, We noticedthen too many guns were being labled "built by GAP" when sold that we barly had a hand in. That didnt really sit well with us so we decided to change the policy on it.

If your are buying a Chassis for a GAP barreled action you have on order just send us the chassis. We dont charge to install a chassis.
</div></div>

Thanks for the clarification on that George. I was just curious more than anything, I am not overly concerned about the stamp at any rate, the guns works just as well without the stamp!

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C.K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave they have you on file on the work they did for you. If your going to sell the gun just have them print out a billing sheet showing the work they did.

</div></div>

I don't think anyone was questioning that I said they did the work, I was more looking for the explanation as to what gets stamped and what doesn't.

It does appear though that the stamp does give a rifle the premium, but it is understandable as that indicates they built the full rifle.

Dave

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a full build done by GAP. Templar Action, Manners T4A etc and I dont see a stamp anywhere on it. Any idea about that? </div></div>

Pictures I've seen of the Templar action had the GAPrecision logo on the left side of the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a full build done by GAP. Templar Action, Manners T4A etc and I dont see a stamp anywhere on it. Any idea about that?</div></div>

Impossible

look at the right side. its not a stamp its Electro Etched . And to boot your Reciever is engraved with our logo as well.

???????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: A10XRIFLE</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a full build done by GAP. Templar Action, Manners T4A etc and I dont see a stamp anywhere on it. Any idea about that?</div></div>

Impossible

look at the right side. its not a stamp its Electro Etched . And to boot your Reciever is engraved with our logo as well.

??????? </div></div>

That's probably why he can't find a "stamp."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mistake guys, I as not talking about the GAP Logo, I was talking about the smiths stanp (ie arrowhead). </div></div>

again look here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...333#Post1019333

M.45, while Knight may have been looking for the maker mark, This thread was originated around the actual GA Precision Logo that is acid etched into the side of the barrels they make, when they make a complete rifle.

Appreciate the link though

Dave

Are GAP AR-10 (et al) complete uppers marked with the arrowhead, heart, etc denoting which smith did the work? I have two, both logo etched forward right of gas block, but haven't seen any other markings as are discussed on the bolt guns.

How about a mark that also denotes barrel-maker?

On my .308 in an Bell and Carslon stock with aluminum bedding block dosent have the GA Precision stamp. But does have the makers mark on the barrel. Is that normal George? You guys did the action true barrel and crown.

researching a claimed GAP rifle and stumbled on this old thread. Here's an idea...how about an online GAP registry where you can look up a serial number to see if its legit?

George,
Quick question. I have a full build, all the markings and trimmings, love the stick. If I sent back for a re-barrel, it would still bear the mark?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">researching a claimed GAP rifle and stumbled on this old thread. Here's an idea...how about an online GAP registry where you can look up a serial number to see if its legit? </div></div>

WTF would people want their serial numbers spread across the internet?

Wtf

George,

I bought a barreled action with the GA stamp on the barrel but I put it in a stock i had in the basement. Should I send it back to have it removed? Let me know.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wtf

George,

I bought a barreled action with the GA stamp on the barrel but I put it in a stock i had in the basement. Should I send it back to have it removed? Let me know.

Rich </div></div>

hahahahah

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">researching a claimed GAP rifle and stumbled on this old thread. Here's an idea...how about an online GAP registry where you can look up a serial number to see if its legit? </div></div>

WTF would people want their serial numbers spread across the internet? </div></div>

No, the idea would be like the FFL check website. Enter a serial into the website, and the website just says if it's a GAP or not. Wouldn't that work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George,
Quick question. I have a full build, all the markings and trimmings, love the stick. If I sent back for a re-barrel, it would still bear the mark?</div></div>

yes

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wtf

George,

Rich</div></div>

LOL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">researching a claimed GAP rifle and stumbled on this old thread. Here's an idea...how about an online GAP registry where you can look up a serial number to see if its legit? </div></div>

WTF would people want their serial numbers spread across the internet? </div></div>

No, the idea would be like the FFL check website. Enter a serial into the website, and the website just says if it's a GAP or not. Wouldn't that work?</div></div>

Remmymaxhit, You want to come to the shop and go through all the Records back to 1998 and enter 20,000+ serial#'s??

Dont see this happening, if you are buying a suposed GAP rifle from somone ask to see their invoice.