• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

The GEN II Has Arrived! DPMS Recon Gen II

HOGTOOTH5R

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2011
DFW, TEXAS
Just got the GEN II Recon In Yesterday and already Loaded it Up with Crap.

First impressions are. The Receiver Finishes are very good, I really like the new slim line design and the agressive mag well opening. The fit of the Upper/Lower Receiver does have a little play which my Gen I did not. But I think this is a hits and misses thing. I understand some are tighter than others. I prefer my receivers to have a tight fit but only time will tell if the little play will affect the Accuracy or not.

The weight is "slightly" lighter than the Gen I but probably not enough of a reason to switch by itself. The BCG however seems to be much better design and if proven dependable will be a Big Upgrade from the Gen I. I ain't gonna lie, all of the Gen I DPMS rifles I've shot had issues with Jam and Feeding. I will have to do extensive testing before deeming this rifle an actual "Go To Gun" rather than just a Range Toy.

One thing I have to point out which impressed me a lot was the fact that this rifle Came With from the Factory a Very Nice Two Stage Trigger. It is very smooth and the pull is very light for a factory rifle. I believe it's right at 3 lbs or less which is WAY BETTER than the Crap that came in the Gen I Recon. I don't think I'll be upgrading or messing with this trigger at all as it is about just right for how I like it in this type of Rifle/Setup. I'm Running a Primary Arms 1-6 ACS scope on it right now but I'll probably put the Vortex Viper PST off my Armalite SASS on this thing to see how it really shoots.

Hopefully after the weather lightens up a bit I'll get a chance to take it to the range for some accuracy testing and comparisons. All in all I am fairly pleased with the Gen II and would recommend it to anyone whoes looking for a affordable .308 SemiAuto Gas Gun.

Here's some Pictures of mine after all the Crap are on it...11 Lbs as seen here.

whfku0.jpg

ng22j6.jpg

Last edited:
Is the barrel nut and barrel extension available yet?

As far as I know they are not. However I didn't buy the rifle with plans to modify it immediately. So I'm really not in a hurry for any After Market Parts right now. If you're thinking about building off of the new receivers then I suggest wait until they offer the receivers by itself then build your own. It's still very new and will take a while before the aftermarket to catchup.

Is the barrel nut and barrel extension available yet?

bro, nice write up! very impressive. looking forward to your results and please, just run it on the 100yard shootout!

Just got the GEN II Recon In Yesterday and already Loaded it Up with Crap.

First impressions are. The Receiver Finishes are very good, I really like the new slim line design and the agressive mag well opening. The fit of the Upper/Lower Receiver does have a little play which my Gen I did not. But I think this is a hits and misses thing. I understand some are tighter than others. I prefer my receivers to have a tight fit but only time will tell if the little play will affect the Accuracy or not.

The weight is "slightly" lighter than the Gen I but probably not enough of a reason to switch by itself. The BCG however seems to be much better design and if proven dependable will be a Big Upgrade from the Gen I. I ain't gonna lie, all of the Gen I DPMS rifles I've shot had issues with Jam and Feeding. I will have to do extensive testing before deeming this rifle an actual "Go To Gun" rather than just a Range Toy.

One thing I have to point out which impressed me a lot was the fact that this rifle Came With from the Factory a Very Nice Two Stage Trigger. It is very smooth and the pull is very light for a factory rifle. I believe it's right at 3 lbs or less which is WAY BETTER than the Crap that came in the Gen I Recon. I don't think I'll be upgrading or messing with this trigger at all as it is about just right for how I like it in this type of Rifle/Setup. I'm Running a Primary Arms 1-6 ACS scope on it right now but I'll probably put the Vortex Viper PST off my Armalite SASS on this thing to see how it really shoots.

Hopefully after the weather lightens up a bit I'll get a chance to take it to the range for some accuracy testing and comparisons. All in all I am fairly pleased with the Gen II and would recommend it to anyone whoes looking for a affordable .308 SemiAuto Gas Gun.

Here's some Pictures of mine after all the Crap are on it...11 Lbs as seen here.

whfku0.jpg

ng22j6.jpg

You can pick up the 24" 308 G2's on gunbroker for $1100 and change... pretty good price point if you ask me.

I have yet to shoot my new DPMS G2 SASS rifle. It's too cold and snowy right now. Only optics I had was the little Nikon force scope but it looks good on it. I do hate the psg1 looking grip on it though

What are the parts interchangeability? Which are gen 1 and gen2? Are they coming out in different calibers does anyone know?

As far as I know NONE of the Parts on interchangeable from the Gen I. Everything on the Gen II Receivers (Dim/Specs) are different. The BCG are VERY Different compare to Both AR.308 and AR15 units. It's pretty much a new breed of AR platform. Even the Charging Handle are a different size than the AR15 or AR10 units. I believe the only things you can use accross all three platforms in this case are the accessories like Rails (Should be able to use AR15 Fore ends and Free Float Rail/Tubes), and the Stock,Grips, and Magazines are all the same as any other AR.308 Platforms.

What are the parts interchangeability? Which are gen 1 and gen2? Are they coming out in different calibers does anyone know?

Well that will make it a little harder to play with. And would make it tough to change calibers.

that's good to know about the trigger. I was not thrilled to read they went away from the JP trigger on the G2 SASS rifles. I went to my LGS yesterday (has a damn good supply of AR's, DPMS is in that pile), but they had not yet connected on any of the G2 rifles...

As far as I know NONE of the Parts on interchangeable from the Gen I. Everything on the Gen II Receivers (Dim/Specs) are different. The BCG are VERY Different compare to Both AR.308 and AR15 units. It's pretty much a new breed of AR platform. Even the Charging Handle are a different size than the AR15 or AR10 units. I believe the only things you can use accross all three platforms in this case are the accessories like Rails (Should be able to use AR15 Fore ends and Free Float Rail/Tubes), and the Stock,Grips, and Magazines are all the same as any other AR.308 Platforms.

60-70% of the parts are common with the M4/AR according to this:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...0x419xSlide22.jpg.pagespeed.ic.pFMFIbPYzO.jpg

I looked over the fully disassembled display they had at SHOT, and the extension tube and lower parts seemed to be the same. Same FCG, same trigger, hammer, mag catch, etc. The above improvement list does say "strengthened trigger pivot pins", but I'm not sure if that means a dimensional or metallurgy change.

The parts that are different from anything on the market:

* Receivers
* BCG
* Barrel Extension
* Charge handle
* Ejection port cover
* Barrel nut

I think the buffer is different, but can't be definitive on that.