• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The Grid

I've gone binary...did I hit what I aimed at, or not.

Target size and distance involved simply determines degree of difficulty.

Squirrel eye at 20 yards is hunting accuracy.
Soda can at 50 yards offhand is plinking accuracy.
Golf ball at 100 yards is varminting accuracy.
1 liter bottle caps at 200 yards.... unlikely accuracy. ;)

Reactions: RTH1800
Rick,

"50 shots within a 0.30 milrad disk, = 1.03MOA," ..... when you say within, Is that center line of bullet within the black or entire
bullet diameter in the black?

Personally I hate off hand because I am so bad at it. 50% ??? . I find myself telling people to practice it because I have lost
first place because of a lost standing shot. To me, second place feels like last place!!

I would like to shoot 1000 yards but hitting a ten foot square target would not be a success for me. One inch at 100... so 10 inches at 1000.
OK ...20 inches. I need a reasonable target size.

I'm shocked people wont try 50 shots at 50 yards to obtain 1.03" That seems easy neglecting the oddball cartridge issue. I would do
it to try something new. It's not heresy to me. Besides, I'm used to being excommunicated. It's their loss!!

A great benefit from the scoring plug is that it saves time. I want every point that I have earned and none that I have not. I also want it
done quickly and with out doubt from my fellow shooters. The last thing I want is them drinking and whispering that my score
was bogus. I want it to be crystal clear that they LOST because they were ill prepared !!

On that note.. our LGC wanted to do away with having a shoot off and decide any tie with the flip of a coin.
I thought, OH HELL NO !! Thats BS !! If we do that, give me second place and I will toss the trophy in the trash as the people watch.

I felt no disagreement whatsoever!

If on target requires an hour to use, I will likely pass on it. I'm much too impatient for that.

Reactions: rick137
Rick,

"50 shots within a 0.30 milrad disk, = 1.03MOA," ..... when you say within, Is that center line of bullet within the black or entire
bullet diameter in the black?

Personally I hate off hand because I am so bad at it. 50% ??? . I find myself telling people to practice it because I have lost
first place because of a lost standing shot. To me, second place feels like last place!!

I would like to shoot 1000 yards but hitting a ten foot square target would not be a success for me. One inch at 100... so 10 inches at 1000.
OK ...20 inches. I need a reasonable target size.

I'm shocked people wont try 50 shots at 50 yards to obtain 1.03" That seems easy neglecting the oddball cartridge issue. I would do
it to try something new. It's not heresy to me. Besides, I'm used to being excommunicated. It's their loss!!

A great benefit from the scoring plug is that it saves time. I want every point that I have earned and none that I have not. I also want it
done quickly and with out doubt from my fellow shooters. The last thing I want is them drinking and whispering that my score
was bogus. I want it to be crystal clear that they LOST because they were ill prepared !!

On that note.. our LGC wanted to do away with having a shoot off and decide any tie with the flip of a coin.
I thought, OH HELL NO !! Thats BS !! If we do that, give me second place and I will toss the trophy in the trash as the people watch.

I felt no disagreement whatsoever!

If on target requires an hour to use, I will likely pass on it. I'm much too impatient for that.
@AirGunShawn

Center line of the bullet on the boundary of the disk or within the disk is the ideal. But for my purposes even harder to determine if center line is on the boundary than the edge of the bullet hole tangent to the disk boundary. This is why I think in terms of three classes, H,M DK, hits misses and don't knows. Or W,L,T wins losses and ties. Or H,M, A hits, misses, arguers.

Where can you purchase a bullet plug for 22LR ammo? Seems a great tool to reduce the DKs. But if lawyers are involved maybe the arguers are the most fun.

50 shots into a 1MOA disk has been done. In fact, IIRC it was 60 shots into the equivalent of a 1 MOA disk or even a little less by @Hoser at the Olympic Training Center in CO. He was shooting prone but I do not remember if he was using a bipod and rear bag. So it has been done and there is his post on SH. To best of my knowledge 100 yd and 200 yd, if done, have not be reported.

It took an hour because I was analyzing 100 shots, 25 shots in each of 4 targets. On-Target is seductive and was easy to fall in love with statistics. There are a lot of neat features in the software. For any shooting competition where winner is decided by a few mils, probably the least subjective way to determine the location of bullet holes relative to AP.

I gave up using On Target because of the @justin amateur principle, "The aim is to hit what you aim at." As long as the bullet hole, using center or best edge or worst edge, is on the border or lies in the disk you have hit what you aimed at.

Good shooting!

Rick

Hello Rick,

The EZ scoring plug is a Gehmann #133 that I bought from eBay. #133 is an actual Gehmann number.
The eBay / Nikkonos number was 372097272349. It is the magnified version and works great. They make a non mag type but
I don't see the point in that. I mean... I'm looking for absolute accuracy and speed. I want to glace down at the plug and
know for sure what I got.

I shoot Field target and hitting the kill zone is what counts. If I don't go through the hole cleanly, the target locks in the upright
position. I get ZERO for that. Our smallest holes are 3/8" and the largest are 1 1/2". In a normal match we shoot out to 50 yards.
That means that to go clean through a 3/8" hole I need to shoot .198 ctc.
I would guess that over 95% of my shooting is done on my butt. In FT, we are not allowed any type of supports other than
myself. I am allowed to sit on a cushion that is six inches thick or less....
It's a lot of fun !!

We shoot outside, up and down slope and at unknown distances. no range finders are allowed. Oh yes... that means are targets
are all at unknown distances. :)

After we hit the target, another person in the squad pulls a string to reset the target upright. The third person keeps score.

My biggest reason to consider On Target is for other people that seem to relate to it. To me it is just one more distraction that
I don't need.

You will really like the Gehmann....

Shawn Carroll

Attachments

• 1001418 (1).jpg
    1001418 (1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 1001418 (1).jpg
    1001418 (1).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 1993 WORLDS.jpg
    1993 WORLDS.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 66
My goal is to see if it is possible to consistently shoot 50 rounds of 22LR into an 0.3mrad diameter disk at 200yd. 0.3mrad=1.03MOA. Acccuracy groups!

There are several advantages to shooting at one target. One is simply accounting, just have to count the hits inside the target area or outside the target area depending on your marksmanship. Second is judging what is a hit by looking at the target rather than measuring. Whether by measurement or eyeball there will be holes, that if you are honest, you just do not know. There have been extensive posts on SH concerning what constitutes the edge of a bullet hole and in my opinion they are mostly fruitless. So I plan on three categories, hits, misses and don't knows. The real advantage may be that with different aim points you have to continually adjust the POA. I presume even with a single POA shooting using a mechanical benchrest in returning the rifle to battery some adjustments are necessary but perhaps less than with both returning to battery and changing the POA. Perhaps not.

The target is shown below.
View attachment 7826341
Rick,

Do you print those targets or purchase them? Can you share a file or source link please? I like this idea.

I owe Justin some gun pron. Here's today's grid at 25 meters.
CZ 457 with factory 24" barrel.
Prone with bipod and rear bags.
Norma TAC-22.
56% measured 0.13" or less, using digital caliper, center of hole to intersection.

IMG_3245.JPGIMG_3246.JPG

@AirGunShawn:

Had to laugh. Thought a hole plug was for determining the edge of a bullet hole in paper/cardboard.

A further comment on On-Target software. For my money, and I paid for the software, it is the most precise way to determine the center of a bullet hole relative to the aim point. You scan the target and import the image to the software, then tell the software the location of the aim point and the locations of the centers of the bullet holes. You specify the caliber of the ammunition and the program generates a circle having the appropriate diameter. Next the circles are used to locate the bullet hole center. Because the bullet hole has a ragged edge and may not be even be circular, centering a circle requires interpretation but gives your eye/brain the best conditions. To aid the location the image can be magnified. Better than trying to find a tangent on a ragged edge or tangents on two ragged edges to measure the extreme spread. However, it is laborious locating the center. Knowing the centers of all the bullet holes the software can calculate any of the relevant, and some irrelevant, statics include the ES of the group.

What about accuracy? Precision is one thing but because a measuring instrument produces distances to 1 mil does not mean that is true distance, as I am certain you know. Accuracy requires calibration as well as precision. In On-Target software you tell the software the distance between two points on the scanned target. First you measure a distance on the target. I would say that can be done no better than +/- 0.01" but others have better eyesight or at least use numbers with more significant figures. Then the two points are located on the scanned image and input together with the measured distance. The software can generate stats with, I think at least four significant figures. If the program outputs four significant figures I would say two are truly significant and two are insignificant significant figures.

Finally, and this is really clever, the software can generate targets with multiple bullseyes. If you print one of these targets and scan it after use, the program will automatically determine the offset of the center of the bullet hole from the center of the closest dot. These targets are divided into squares and each square can contain only one bullet hole. Otherwise the programs does not compute statistics but gives a message saying to practice more. :LOL:

Rick

Rick137,

I'm a bit corn-fused.... I suspect that my mixture of subjects, the hole plug and Field Targets has raised some eyebrows.

At my LGC when I'm shooting paper targets the scoring plug is a great thing. All we are trying to do is determine the value of the
and not it's precision or group size. I have to shoot something between FT comps.

When I'm shooting Field Target, the plug is utterly useless. My pellet needs to go through the hole cleanly or the
target face will lock in the upright position.

I was actually given a link to On-Target the other day and it had a problem. I have not taken the time to see what the
SNAFU was.

I may like shooting paper better if it had a steel backer to make noise. I prefer targets that react in some way.

Attachments

• B14R first BP150 target  Sept 2021.jpg
    B14R first BP150 target Sept 2021.jpg
    489.5 KB · Views: 87
alright ill play finally, was messin w some less than stellar lots of cx i still have and some new SK HV Match at 50yd. had a few leftover from each so i drew up a quick grid, realized i had 49 crosses so i added a dot at the bottom. heres the results. fun stuff. prone with bipod and bag
CDB0AEE5-7C82-4E24-8471-249A4FACBE57.jpeg

4036F903-0076-4FB6-8C42-8C97597F66BA.jpeg

alright ill play finally, was messin w some less than stellar lots of cx i still have and some new SK HV Match at 50yd. had a few leftover from each so i drew up a quick grid, realized i had 49 crosses so i added a dot at the bottom. heres the results. fun stuff. prone with bipod and bagView attachment 7860231
View attachment 7860232
Im glad I'm not the only one who has come across some absolute junk cx.

Thought it was me or the gun.

yea, id have to dig in my notes to get numbers, but i havent found a lot of cx im happy with since covid. ive tried 3 lots of midas also. pre covid about half the cx i bought was acceptable. need to get to the test center. i guess im buyin the junk no ones guns like

i dont ask nearly as much from it, but my stock cz457 pro varmint(non match chamber) shoots any lot of SK Std pretty well. never had a bad lot yet. now the vudoo just sits most of the time, and i shoot nrl and home grown 22 steel matches with the ‘accurate enough’ cz with Sk Std

So what happens with the 17 hm2 and the Grid?

I don't know.
But if I had a Lilja 17hm2 heavy barrel for my CZ 455, I could find out, right? :D

So it arrived, all shiny stainless steel, hand lapped bore in a well padded shipping box.
Unwrapped and installed, no shims needed to obtain a 0.46 inch headspace. (plastigage)
It's in the "B" model receiver with the fly trigger, adjusted to about an 8 ounce break.
Dropped it into the Son of Fuglie stock for use with my Sinclair bipod.

AM-JKLWGE-kLF-WzutbOO5Je3X6UQAPe9qdbl1LbQpQbUt29jtJhcC2rs5p70SKbAOfMg2Up5dNgGViOQixsqf7uALDWtwn08O9FmiyErP2zUqv6hv3EIIXxz6dLiS1edAJyt7KArqS0gNycFRF-YzN7vLbc=w797-h389-no

Set up at the 50 yard range for boresighting and the Grid.

AM-JKLX4lkZ2igYPZNpY8lvm7ihijFOFFaUmGhXmXzTrvJHlpJtShuvtmnJPNPYfmUqxEAH-0e4iC15FfDS6E5cq-JV0znWKy3uLf2y-Pdy0XWW-YzMxYjosT1MzANXiW_ZELKbIqLrxwW0Wugcw5rUjj1NL=w364-h600-no

CCI VMax 17 grain ballistic tip 17 hm2

AM-JKLVmc-ocuMPdM8M2z__Z80rXFaByT_pt5gLZeS6Aghp47CInhqVEi1dQ32fkWdRiQBaZwF2Gl1xHSj0uvFn884PlglUeI7KJ9zRmwnHLz6qBBMPp7AdI2Ar-dAIeUF_-W4ssP0bzC_lZ1kTzjg9PyKRD=w356-h475-no

Took 3 sighters (S1, S2 and S3) to adjust the scope,
Then the remianing 47 shots to fill out the Grid.

AM-JKLVm3c4ohT0hllxABMKFQvLoQHs1k97yf5YIGekWo2Fh97pj87nwqLyomG-WQUmArdjXhgaMYen4vT0KjQcGw6NMOQLtva9b0FhNAfBYkVmZ5lD_65ILJRD693zpB-ATIX9zI-FGGPoXlZ3ElsHxDS7h=w450-h643-no

Audible differences in muzzle velocities, visible cartridge problems,
but still about an inch of spread at 50 yards.
It's hunting ammunition.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Justin, I just read through this entire thread and learned some things. I like your idea of the grid and also hitting what you aim at.
But all that you posted seemed to be with lower or at best mid grade ammo. Have you done this with better ammo. Depending on what your gun likes, say Eley match or sk rifle match or Lapua centre x, or rws target rifle. My 457 likes sk standard plus. These are not even the most expensive grades either, but cost doesn't always mean the best. I think you would get a lot more circles on the grid with better ammo.

Depending on what your gun likes

What my rifle likes? That I can answer.
It likes well made cartridges with a minimum of factory defects and tight muzzle velocities.
Anything else and the results are less than desirable.
Brand means nothing, if the cartridges are not well made and the mv's jump up and down.
No rifle can fix cr*ppy ammunition, no matter how many claims of "sub-moa all day long" are posted.

The reason I've taken to using the Grid for ammunition testing, is my results with groups lied.
Random acts of accuracy that wander around my point of aim aren't proof of consistent results.
When I started measuring group aggregate sizes, I found my overall spread was 2 to three times worse than I thought.
Sure, I had an average group size of 1/2 inch, but the aggregate size was 1.5 inches at 50 yards.
So what if I had a couple of 0.3's, when I also had a couple of 0.7's and they all were in different positions relative to point of aim.

At this time I'm tracking wear on a new CZ 455 factory barrel.
I was told that I had no proof of barrel wear with rimfire ammunition.
So I purchased a borescope and a new 22lr heavy barrel and have been documenting the differences in the rifling.
I've been shooting the Grid to track results with the factory barrel.
At this point I have 1600 shots through the barrel. When I hit 2000, I'll be capturing images of the bore again.
At that point I'll swap barrels back to my Lilja or Shilen and use some better cartridges. In the meantime,
no use burning 30 cent a cartridge on a factory barrel that can barely maintain 2 moa at 50 yards.

In the meantime, with winter over, some of the rest of ya' ought to give the Grid a go.
See how well y'er rig can do for 50 shots at 50 yards, when you try to hit what you aim at.:unsure:

It likes well made cartridges with a minimum of factory defects and tight muzzle velocities.

I agree, but what I see is that you don't seem to be shooting any top tier ammo like that for your grids. Maybe you could get that elusive 1/2 moa all day long if you did. LOL
I plan to do a grid next time I can, although I'm still working on finding what my gun likes best. Standard plus so far, but rifle match was good when I had a little.

Anything else and the results are less than desirable.
Brand means nothing, if the cartridges are not well made and the mv's jump up and down.
No rifle can fix cr*ppy ammunition, no matter how many claims of "sub-moa all day long" are posted.

The reason I've taken to using the Grid for ammunition testing, is my results with groups lied.
Random acts of accuracy that wander around my point of aim aren't proof of consistent results.
When I started measuring group aggregate sizes, I found my overall spread was 2 to three times worse than I thought.
Sure, I had an average group size of 1/2 inch, but the aggregate size was 1.5 inches at 50 yards.
So what if I had a couple of 0.3's, when I also had a couple of 0.7's and they all were in different positions relative to point of aim.

At this time I'm tracking wear on a new CZ 455 factory barrel.
I was told that I had no proof of barrel wear with rimfire ammunition.
So I purchased a borescope and a new 22lr heavy barrel and have been documenting the differences in the rifling.
I've been shooting the Grid to track results with the factory barrel.
At this point I have 1600 shots through the barrel. When I hit 2000, I'll be capturing images of the bore again.
At that point I'll swap barrels back to my Lilja or Shilen and use some better cartridges. In the meantime,
no use burning 30 cent a cartridge on a factory barrel that can barely maintain 2 moa at 50 yards.

In the meantime, with winter over, some of the rest of ya' ought to give the Grid a go.
See how well y'er rig can do for 50 shots at 50 yards, when you try to hit what you aim at.:unsure:
Justin,
Off topic, but related to your barrel test: Did you slug your test bore before firing? Have you slugged it in its present state (strapped down) ?
I’d be interested to know if, after the number of rounds fired with the barrel restrained this way, if you could “feel” the strap locations in the bore.

Obx...the barrel is clamped in place with leather pads cushioning the steel plates.
Never attains any compressive load that can deform the barrel.
The barrel is in an epoxy bedded channel that exactly fits the barrel.

Let me find the Son of Fuglie build so you can see.

Here's the link...

Reactions: obx22
CCI 17 grain 17hm2 VNT

AM-JKLW_UDo202aMBJagPs7PVKGcH_Y0SCykj5M-kIS2TUtdOjl9AkiLVzVHwv9uGfEzoUO9Qj3N6y9KGE4nuNupYSma-7Ao2JlNeSQV5IZD5v2zmlgQBjdjTOgvK2M2ltl4FJzr1g92wFCZKOw5grRdA9ZD=w433-h441-no

CZ 455 SOF Lilja on the Sinclair

AM-JKLXhCEyTluYYkkdyApu4asvmgany7zhF9CAJ8NFdrVWya_mZgS6QfCAUNOcyl75eUlnMu-yoifr-ipwhV2tXLnJ_Rly2HiTtBPngZ0QvqxMn2YIyWwvV4D5vpjHBOlt3raeos1C6NSDe2eKO9bEUOYH-=w399-h510-no

The worst three boxes of cartridges I've ever used.
Split necks, weak charges, tilted bullets, bent tips, wild strays.
Some shots hit center, others ended up 8 inches plus from point of aim.
50 yards and some rounds didn't stay on the backer....just horrible quality rimfire ammunition.

AM-JKLUkjvL5kQEvrgobbyfK2Z-3N36MZkYFg7CF-Kk61DBwRfOFbd4XjXkmssTBE7xwDK6soBhKHnJO-o64EaBSSa14oqkJfCb-VTS3Zt3WXaSnfvxzDjW_EhyydPp1g2haSQigSqmvoaWxIR_0kuFBJgo4=w413-h569-no

AM-JKLXPDSxvc9U6ZW0mmpm6KNQfkskv8c4y0NU1-HXarAk1XYEzLZgmG28YC3bEJeYkbFAYzFpCyxjeCPdD5vrw69dxTKHSW71R6xRvzeLkiqyXdMYGKgwJ_d_NhHLGhkgLny0UCqw7qb0c5MX4xqsK9Eku=w445-h643-no

Started with a 5 shot group to adjust the scope...number 5 disappeared.
It hit almost 10 inches down from point of aim, split neck. (1SN)
Next 5 shot group another split neck and a very weak round. (2SN)(2W)
Group 6 weak round, group 10 weak round.
Then attempted the Grid...it looks better than it is.
Aim at one line, it'd hit 2 down and a line left. Another it was 3 down and 2 right.
One hit 3 inches plus right and off the backer onto the frame.
Worse results than CCI Copper22.

I had a chance to get to the range for about twenty minutes before work, and thought I'd give this a try.

I should say right up front that I have no experience shooting precision, which should be blatantly obvious when you see the pic of the target 🤣

I picked up this rifle a few years back and haven't really spent much time with it. It's a Winchester model 75 made in 1941. 6x18 Bushnell Sportview on top. I'm sure if someone that knew what they were doing shot it, it would produce better results.

I started out shooting at the top left corner to find my zero. That turned out to be an exercise in futility. Once I thought it was close, I started on the top right corner and worked my way down. As I was running out of time, I lost track of which aimpoint I was even shooting.

I'm shooting just budget Federal Automatch from Wally World, and I don't use a rear bag, which is something I need to learn how to do. I honestly don't think I have any kind of correct technique shooting from a bench.

Anyway, here's the pics I took before I packed back up.
IMG_20220601_142811.jpg
IMG_20220601_144614.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting back out there and working on this some more, and improving.

Hadn’t shot in almost two weeks. Went to the range and this was a hasty 16 consecutive rounds at 50y after about 10 rounds off to the side to warm up. The circles are 1/2” and inner is 1/4”.
Out of 16 (16 shots), how would you assess or rate the results? Is a round touching the inner circle a hit or a miss?

Out of 16 (16 shots), how would you assess or rate the results? Is a round touching the inner circle a hit or a miss?
I shoot mainly PRS Rimfire and the smallest I’ve shot was a 1/4” piece of steel on a KYL during a match at 50y. Based on my 16 consecutive rounds fired, I would have hit or grazed it 14 times. I rate the results as highly successful on the accuracy potential of the ammo/barrel/conditions/me. I tried to run it at a realistic match pace.

There are definitely some damn fine shooters here. It gives me something to aspire to. 😁

Reactions: Williwaw
Thanks for the rifle pron Josh.

Dang 021411, that's after a layoff? Need to see what you can do on a good day.

This morning, 455 SOF Lilja at 50 yards

AM-JKLXTCKfB3JnV73_Rip8vp25hvsF0OtuI7nCbSdn_jEF7OhR-qh1E2VH9Rxs8GK4XvcVLnszvrZeUD-ZmdrE284LEZLmOwKZdMiXeECOtiH2hCrbjra9-pLJx2PA6WP_evjdnIbYSMKf-2M1MiFG29Odr=w428-h500-no

Box of CCI VNT and a box of Hornady V-Max

AM-JKLVdBaYndhV4PBoz7pWTwOJ8gEwXBCnvuqABqpLXQsQpItoLwBGftzYZt9F-V7Ua_LYkUT8oD6SGy4UNMag8eAaPg9Vg0OG6bk-HE6Y91Z9y60Wqu1NBJaE3o0nBMp29syds9CRJQrOIfxQc_GN-ojP9=w485-h506-no

Look....1/2 inch 5 shot group at 50 yards....all day long, right?

AM-JKLVUVVqjoZJi0nCxJ67krR7Rccp2_idE--zCT62BBDrZYKy2HLaPCJXS6ie-Z8j7-e-fNjTcHb8dOJah3vlJUzSsX5PvMLik-70pb8o_NJgpztd82CwBaOvXZnkwLr_i11dCwx6OkRWmt6Zq5fx7ebmH=w424-h505-no

Fudge...I forgot, it was a ten shot group

AM-JKLV9FEW_BDcmiDB0AOfgwlC3amiclq7wbV-nb1Pd50mAmiaykGkf2VUkbRUvA_q0D-xwFYWTIPTT4JzXFBW-rt-axj_3_TBEyomE3HEf-V2JyzaeC7PcxOcmTaQC4pGgxTWlA86S8taFi5H0yNSICv_e=w725-h542-no

2 went left and off paper, 3 wandered off down or right
1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 1F....yuck.
Remember, this is at 50 yards.

5 ten shot groups with CCI VNT alongside 5 ten shot groups of Hornady V-Max

AM-JKLUgsybshd6XgyR1MMAfaugIV8XEbRLwNEC0hBn_d8yFaj58u3PA7DgUeS6rf0ouzHgawZ28rpGcDG0f4F5GF1BhJdFOuncafQofhm3IBsnSovi8Skbm2o04CzRmBbo8C9Lmzp8qVrtAud_I9HZf3m3v=w308-h643-no

CCI VNT...worst bricks of rimfire I've ever bought.

CCI made Hornady V-Max, 2 moa groups at 50 yards...1 inch vertical, 1,4 inch horizontal spread.
Adequate varminting meat spray ammo, center of critter.
Head shots at 25 yards or less.

Thanks. All I can say is shooting grids and dot drills paid off today at the match. We had a paper accuracy stage at 50y which also doubled as a tie breaker. 5 targets with a max of 10 points. Punch the center dot = 2 points. Hit the 10 ring around the center dot = 1 point. Anything else is a zero. I got an 8 on it. Broke my cheek weld on one of them and yanked a shot.
The Grid has helped me tremendously as a match shooter. Shooting tight 5-10 shot groups are cool but as justin amateur has repeatedly said, you gotta hit what you’re aiming at. 😎

Now that I'm settled in the new house and have my targets set up, I'm ready to get back to shooting and posting. I'll be doing the grid challenge. I have several types of ammo to shoot, should be fun.

Justin, when you shoot 22lr, are you only using the 455? Is everyone using their same rifle every time for consistency or fair comparison?

KOD, welcome back.
I use my 455's in multiple configurations.
Barrel block Fuglie, SOF, Varmint stock with Shilen, Lilja and factory heavy barrels.
Factory trigger, single set trigger and Fly 2 stage depending on my mood.

The Grid is for any rifle, any setup, any rimfire caliber.
Benchrest, bipod, offhand, prone, standing, whatever catches y'er interest.
The question is: Can you accomplish Rule #1....hit what you aim at?

I'm still working at it, improvement is slow. ;)

Friday morning and took a day off from work.
At the range at 7:30 am. No wind, humid, overcast.
Hornady V-Max at 50 yards.

AM-JKLUFJhCZD0B0hOLcIrAZ4k7sy4oWl1iT5qRhzzgN9Wmxr-P8CD3Q9nWVWLYY3HOK3ntAwuzsILg13Jk2k4AIpJugZ4SNEul8XV10CXxzhtexCHkkA2xTkSqXHRL9nLQ2n2qF4vUUKuo8lM-Bgi_xUcjV=w404-h491-no

CZ 455 SOF Lilja, Sinclair

AM-JKLVqkq53KwM2J9qVuTvdWTPc_7nWkB1xlD9SaVuISyoDQqPxzIcl_r9H2Q2c6SLkObFsWKTqUWU9qgmCHYgq1197ufmFiN04eDr0losbOA7jNu-L_6k1LwfDG0S6ITGwLZgYwfR2yX-SC9j7ufqdpwhB=w429-h543-no

This was another box of 2 moa cartridges.
Made by CCI, lot code M20C302.
Multiple fail to fires, rotated, rechambered, all but one went bang on the second try.
Now before anyone says weak firing pin or dirty bolt face, not so.
Pulled the cartridge apart, no cup in the rim....no hollow for the primer to fill.
There was primer in the cartridge, just none in the rim.

AM-JKLXCgdYHw0JMMOfXj0tZtWsa8fSfNt5THn9TmSoB26-Fa5vbV8aS081TtfK1YLLpaGfXZQk_X4nycqhfigryPYLS_yRog6Zhs2Y425kGkPZ3eVZB6SJzS2bAt4NytKr8PuBPrmq7WWN2AKcDGuD7luR4=w390-h426-no

AM-JKLVkXVmt-Pq6M3WlH5ay1w0c2pBg74NFHt_vp4kWL3JmIGU48RaHUxHOkXSWp_4RUKhv3_nnel8ar-vnq94uhnYjPYpFbrDVNuLsnHvfR4UD4LxCfRvpZA4XPFVIzhs90yeCGgLVg7HDlBhrAljvbktB=w1008-h504-no

Primer is visible at the bottom edge of the case, but with no hollow rim to compress, no bang.
My single six couldn't made a worthwhile dent in the rim, not even after multiple tries.
Solid brass lip, no cupping to allow compression and ignition.

AM-JKLXVtV6bF3gZZ29tTee_TbSW-xl_kHm0NTt6KNRitDcjBwt8SFmpL9beNX1xGB9cxb0wcm0P44siVw9vHrHbAt3z66AMdcph4XHptRBXcXtsPq5QtCBK_LX20sY4eKSzW7fMbOtyD_J7PJFAMGdKYhkY=w363-h643-no

These results are not what I want for hunting at 100 yards.
I'd expect 3 moa at 100 yards without any wind effects, shooting from a braced position.
At 50 yards 6 hit where I was aiming, under optimum conditions.
The rest were wandering off with a few nasty strays/fliers.

Hot July morning, no wind.
50 yard range at 8 am before the weekend crowd shows up.

CZ 455 Fuglie, Lilja heavy barrel, Mueller 8-32x44 target reticle scope, Fly trigger

AM-JKLUKCfxYAg4OCXIaTPoGCo2-BsUvTslGioCEkVVRGsZ7hUNJn-mRy3XVCtiznb0un6fWYbu0Ensz-HGLwefx6hQ4062E62Kmf91zANHB4VAJVjCLqDklxMZJMiYUPQ8K0vaLhHYe7rXH52DgqJ_lhQbH=w803-h521-no

AM-JKLW3rIEXZq4qtckJoZrN-2vYVyECRnzyETSQDmMXJ4HtlHUOsLlc1OUQbEDKObKlKKkyQsS5vCAxYtQtu-YLAFeu5T_6FTCYyB7vBb_-Y7TjWZFRlikRtxMHd86GAIGSgxBIcFLrbNzv_7K-utvpQp_n=w421-h555-no

CCI 17 grain 17hm2 VMax and Hornady 17 grain 17hm2 VMax
Same cartridges, different headstamps andf labels.

AM-JKLW_V9nxSo_uwuSgASie26FJx7dpLLTFF52v9yukiALXRVUAdw5LAa8Ok3zcXI1iABkcvZxdbd2TXwwpURimCYbGXnV-7YsIqtBmzNkD6Tyx5N74kbRGNCEzjU3FXCaBseykRhSzq67KvcLWxnQemCBJ=w419-h515-no

The CCI VMax is from the 2 bricks CCI sent to replace the VNT that was so bad.

AM-JKLUG-iuRdV9N-4GY1PqS4u59Xs_ypdaaJG42b8H96d7aSurPXmbg-j3SCFo5F6umOGj1qC94SduEZwf9Y1rn0tPvGsCbq4Ia8uQBxNqP6oWU24il8fcmsGbKoCcg18a7Px7oQ8XbbMfue3UuetkmN53y=w580-h621-no

AM-JKLUNHfIr4er30GQmjetYcHR7TZGWsliR7oxknpNsQQSYYbUuswZoVYjY581VU5jck1WE1lAfjVb9nK6NJh9ecGbuOTsCRftDJ8n6ktLLAbPP4boW_JI0mJryqiBsOo4Jb3GASCRl5HAwtQhAlSdkIzAU=w541-h590-no

CCI does not manufacture rimfire ammunition for precision shooting.
Hunting and plinking, yeah, but the mv differences shot by shot causes vertical spread.
That wave pattern that shows up is all velocity related.
Not enough wind movement this morning to affect the results.
You can hear and feel the difference in energy shot by shot.
No doubt which rounds were hot and which were weak.
POI matches muzzle velocity every time...hot went high, weak dropped in low.
The Fuglie barrel block takes me out of the equation,
the results are entirely on ammunition quality.
Both the Hornady and CCI VMax were manufactured in 2021 as determined from the date codes.

After 1000 rounds of hm2 sent using the 455 Varmint and Fuglie,
at 50, 100 and 200 yards, I've got a pretty good understanding of the cartridge.
Fine for varminting/meat spray out to 150 yards, offhand headshots out to 100 feet.
I won't take a shot at a critter unless I'm sure it'll be a guaranteed hit.

Last edited:
Hot August morning, no wind.
CZ 455 Fuglie Lilja hm2 at 50 yards off the bench

AL9nZEXW78PyeEqyO8gKe5QNS-WXHpJgb6vsoJszdDq0FR_-g2TPpJUF3Q_opncqNVoiPSSU9azUodSlBuyqd4Lnh0jjOKuy6g1KR5sWY2xCya4lqfjY3jziilfZl8URjcJ35R9-8arqJIgnNpsDD5mHz0b8=w459-h588-no

Warm up the barrel with CCI VMax 17 gr hm2
1.1 inch vertical spread, 0.7 inch horizontal spread for 50 shots.

AL9nZEWEoxIa_E-__8ayWlTmDX0-Eai5TscoZ4XLKS7o24aVTBO5GywdvldXgB4Cxix-GrwyE7e9tmQqwNYC6DGZbp_feeugBiYOvGfzf3mDFEirEiQk16UHoKzPF1ivYGSmUiJQwETEjLQYqxJab4MWAULz=w754-h345-no

Movement downrange and a head and ears popped up
Easy shot off the bench if I was hungry.
The local critters don't care about the noise.
They know the area is basically a preserve.

AL9nZEUIe3W27ltpnl6bPOI1Yzv9n8go8J1cqdBvVj46iAs3vq6xHbI8FXUlf_xLS3o5mvEbA2aKlWX0Npab30YzpFaukPdMsaphzxCOoVlyKqJRljHQ5hqSHiss7tX5CALHbTp-FFcefh3hhE_CSWozWoR1=w353-h410-no

Walked down to shoo it away into the berm vegetation.
Didn't care if I was close, silly suicidal wabbit.
Quite few of his brethren have ended up in my stewpot.

AL9nZEUCPR2N_ycuneAVaWEkWrEyZj-yhZuxImqoygbTAzPATDhb2GcpkNoqWA8xhqEUlqcXkbZXTdlGMGDp2K5TyNAKxEaVGByqrslGRkmTSWYZx3KoMCNRwGyS4uThX24JmgD2EsRct05a3dQaJTDb_dBd=w354-h347-no

Hornady NTX 15.5 grain no lead 17 hm2 courtesy of @68hoyt.
Donated a couple boxes of the NTX so I could try it at multiple distances.

AL9nZEXrvRcmssq-KYTN2mkFSymrH7sU2U9zeqmeOtt5humPLxGH0XTaqAJLrU8fZFOThFizuJh7AOzVYVF7PmcOu7rdH8PKFHDSxwe_jgP5CrCaoyrLbgkz-GTbmaRUkOJG-abmaS-cimtTBGoRpGVHVfh7=w342-h577-no

0.9 inch vertical, 1.1 inch horizontal for 50 shots

AL9nZEWVei741GMuN-uD8jxnB-OHG9GgIJOcIdHjD4-KY75GjYuA4NTLDQpoxNNMslZK7CTfdgIZN3RwXxmcwbeH5E2kIavWaK3HwJlh9mPaV9b_tWwjXH-c3_BK3wB_RTMm3Njijb0XHUpKDYlzVFxaSuHs=w482-h643-no

50 yards, no wind, barrel block Lilja and that's what you get from the CCI varminting ammo.
Wasn't drift due to shooter, the crosshairs stay on grid every shot.
That's those assembly line differences cartridge to cartridge.
MV spread, bent tips, uneven or tilted seating.
It's not precision target ammo.
It'd do fine for popping the noggin of a swamp rabbit,
but not for punching center of Grid.

I'll need to swap barrels and see if some better quality 22lr will improve my results.

@justin amateur thanks for taking the time effort and energy to open eyes when it comes to rimfire ammunitions. I’m sure there are are others wondering why that was not an impact when they squeeze the trigger and felt good about the break. So kudos to you for grid shooting.