• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns The most nice 4" .44 Magnum?

Jayjay1

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2018
Hey guys,
more a kind of a summary in the beginning.
;)

What´s the nicest .44 Magnum with a mid-long, around 4" long barrel, revolver?

1579469739918.png
1579469739918.png
1579469733942.png

Reactions: John_in_WYO
I'm sorry. Just meant to post one picture of a 29-2. Oops.

Last edited:
Single action....freedom arms. With magnum research being a very close second.

Double action....smith and wesson. Smiths are something else. I love them-even though i did have a 629 i couldnt hit shit with.

Another vote for S&W although I prefer the older models without the internal locking system. Ruger is also a good option.

Alright then, no SAO please.
And I want a flip-out drum as well.

What is about the quality issues from S&W where I´ve read about sometimes?
Did they fix it, or is it still better to get an older one?

I´ve searched around and there are some S&Ws in .44 Magnum with a 4"ish barrel.

M29 (old school)
329PD (love the look, but maybe to hard kickin`)
M69

The Ruger Redhawk, I don´t like the look of the frame, it seems somehow bulky to me, no love for that one here.

Taurus
44-Mag Matte
Tracker 44-Mag
The Raging Bull is also not made for me

Did I oversee one?

It pretty much looks like a Ruger, doesn´t it?

This one...had this one for at least 15 years

Attachments

• 95B0834E-0292-472E-AA5A-069A3B50E2CB.jpeg
    95B0834E-0292-472E-AA5A-069A3B50E2CB.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Soulezoo
Sorry pressed the wrong jpg

Attachments

• A6DABA02-251E-4C7B-A906-BA6FB8CFBF14.jpeg
    A6DABA02-251E-4C7B-A906-BA6FB8CFBF14.jpeg
    459.6 KB · Views: 53
Well, the 69, the ole 29 and the Taurus STS are eye catchers in my opinion, very neat guns.

I´ve read a bit about timing issues with the Taurus.
Somewhere else they wrote, don´t buy a S&W younger than made 1982.

Humm ...

629 no dash 4”

Mine has German proof marks

Lol, what does it say?

Taurus doesn’t make the “nicest” anything.
S&W
Colt
Dan Wesson

ruger makes a good revolver, but the Red hawk is never going to win any beauty contests

Reactions: Soulezoo
Problem with colt is they only have one locking point on the cylinder....in the rear...nothing on the front of the yoke. Ruger is probably the strongest, with the smith and dan wesson coming in next. That being said, the smith is going to be the smoothest of the other two. The ruger is workable, as is the dan wesson. Dan wesson is tits up on the large frames.

Smith is hands down the best DA revolver out there. Which configuration you prefer is up to you; they make a whole bunch of them and surely one of them will fit your exact need.

Reactions: gatorbait308
In the 70's and 80's I had a Ron Power smithed 4" 29. It was simply amazing and I shot it daily for years. No idea why I sold it. It was still tight and accurate. Not much finish left. I

29-2 or earlier. 6.5" barrel. A couple of series later changes were made that made it more durable. I've had it for about forty-five years and I still shoot it better than any other handgun I own. The -2 is arbitrary. Fit and finish were still superb back then.

I have both a mint 29 and a new 69.
If it is a shooter and not a collector gun, go with the 69 all day. It is a fantastic gun. S&W had an issue where they zeroed the first production run high from the factory and they needed a new rear sight blade. Easy fix and S&W does it for free.

I have several Taurus revolvers. I like them very much. They are not as nice as the Smiths I own, but they didn't cost nearly as much.
I'm a sucker for blued steel. I have a couple of 686's, a 657 and 625. They are good looking guns but the deeply blued 19 I have is better looking.

Reactions: Bender
Just for my knowledge:

What is it about the lock at the S&W 69?
Does it harm the function or the trigger feel or anything at that gun?

I´m only reading about "that damn lock", but I can´t find an answer why.

you can buy an inert block to replace it with if you want.

No problems with the trigger. That revolver has an AMAZING trigger.

Added during a previous S&W ownership under pressure from gun prohibitionists. Doesn't really effect anything. Some fear the small chance of an accidental activation, of which there have been a few cases of, under heavy recoil. Easily removed, and a small spacer is sold to seal the frame. It is looked at as a indicator of a late model S&W, much as a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder is considered the mark of a vintage S&W.

I would certainly consider removing it on a revolver I was betting my life on.

Well, the 69, the ole 29 and the Taurus STS are eye catchers in my opinion, very neat guns.

I´ve read a bit about timing issues with the Taurus.
Somewhere else they wrote, don´t buy a S&W younger than made 1982.

Humm ...

Lol, what does it say?

Has the German markings, done at Ulm. Also has the German importer and the American importer when it came home.

Just for my knowledge:

What is it about the lock at the S&W 69?
Does it harm the function or the trigger feel or anything at that gun?

I´m only reading about "that damn lock", but I can´t find an answer why.

a matter of personal preference, that’s all. i happen to like having it on my gun. for instance, if i have to go into the courthouse, i can’t take it with me. engage the lock, hide it in the car.

i have a 360 which is a very 14 oz 357. the recoil on it is brutal. it has never given me a lick of trouble.

The answer is the Smith & Wesson 29-2

In nickel.........

1579644966524.png

^^^^^^^^^^those old Smith nickle guns were just beautiful, my buddy has an old nickle mod. 19 looks just like that

This thread should start with the loads you intend to shoot? If your looking for HOT heavy hard cast for bear protection than RUGER Redhawk will be my recommendation.

I always laugh when people think they have to throw a volkswagon sized chunk of lead at blazing speeds out of a 44. I submit that if you intend to throw more than 300 grains faster than 1100, get a 480 or 454.
A 240 grain at standard 44 velocity has a lot of power.

Personally....i run most my 44 loads around 1000fps. And honestly, i gravitate more toward the 44 spl because of the lighter guns chambered for it. When i do run magnums, i usually run a 250 hardcast at about 1400-1650 (encore and 1894) and there isnt anything that wont kill with authority.

To the OP...if there is anything to take from what i have to say, is enjoy it as a 44, and dont try to make it something bigger. But my guess is you already have that part figured out.

Laugh all you want. Breaking big bones on big bears warrants a heavy penetrating bullet. I have seen 300 Soft Points flatten on shoulder blades on 600 Lb black bears without breaking the shoulder. I personally run a 454 Casull, 480 Ruger and the 500 SW.

Reactions: myronman3
you reiterated my exact point.

but i’ll submit that given exact same bullet placement of a 250 grain hardcast out of a 44 magnum, and nothing will be able to tell it was only a 44 instead of a 454 or 480.

^ that crap is off topic. my main point was a smith and wesson will shoot standard 44 loads for a VERY long time. the smith and wessons....find which model works for you, buy one, and enjoy the hell out of it. it doesnt get any better. and i’ve owned them all, except the korth.

Well, Korth is not an S&W and by far more expensive that I´m able and willing to spend.
They are perfectly manufactured, truely pieces of art, but I don´t think that they shoot any better than a good S&W.

I had a S&W 629 Competitor which I didn´t like that much because it was so heavy.
And because I do have all the reloading and bullet casting stuff for the 44 Rem Magnum, I want a revolver in this caliber.
No 454 Casull or a 500 S&W.

I will look around to get a 69 and a 629 4" in my hands to figure out which I like more.
And I will search for a 29-2 for a while, but nickel-plated is not for me, sorry.

Reactions: myronman3