• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The NEW CheyTac - alive and well!

ELR researcher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 30, 2011
www.elr-resources.com
This morning I received a call from Dave (Mac) McCutcheon, CEO of CheyTac USA LLC, the NEW Cheytac ( CheyTac home page ). He was responding to inquiries I had made a while back when I had first seen forum posts indicating CheyTac was back from the dead. Suffice it to say, YES, the NEW CheyTac is not only back from the dead but very much alive and well!

I had posed a series of questions (previously) to Darryl Miller, their Director of Armament and Training. Mac responded to those as noted below – they were basically confirming, clarifying, and amplifying what I had discussed with Darryl. Specifically:

Q1. How “new” is the company?

A1. Completely restructured company with ALL new personnel (almost all retired military with very deep weapons system experience) and a new facility.

Q2. Are all rifles shown on the current site available for sale at this time?

A2. Yes, including the M4 (5.56 caliber - pic on their site but no details as of yet – details coming soon).

Q3. Are CheyTac products also sold through third parties?

A3. NO! All sales are direct.

Q4. Will you be selling system components stand alone, e.g., actions, barrels, etc.?

A4. YES, available now! Info on the web soon.

Q5. Jamison, a previously CheyTac-affiliated company providing, among other products, CheyTac brass and projectiles, is no longer in business. What ammunition components will be available from the NEW CheyTac?

A5. Brass, projectiles, and loaded ammo. Available NOW!

Q6. Any “new” products for the ELR community on the horizon?

A6. YES! The focus will be on new chassis and adaptation to third party chassis (I specifically asked and Darryl Miller – in the same phone conversation - confirmed those third party chassis systems include ones from AI and Cadex Defense). And, beyond ELR…a PISTOL!

Q7. On the ELR training side, I understand you have nine (9) ranges, going out to as far as 4000 (four thousand) meters. Is that correct?

A7. YES, available for class booking now.

Time will tell how the New CheyTac fares. I wish them well.

If others have had hands-on with the New crew, please post your experiences.

Re: The NEW CheyTac - alive and well!

I don`t believe Cheytac ever built anything. Just a name only. They used Lawton, Bill Ritchie(EDM ARMS), then Stiller. Just wonder if they have changed?

I hope the "new" Cheytac has made some effort to preserve the institutional memory of Jamison.

Has anyone purchased new production brass?

excaliber:

There is no "they", the old crew is entirely gone. That noted, I suspect you were/are wondering whether we can expect a "better" crew than the old one, in re business practices. Only time will tell. As I noted at the end of my post, I would like to hear from anyone who has dealt with the new crew - info as to their experiences with them.

While I didn't ask them who would be producing their actions going forward, I did ask them about the upcoming chassis systems and they said they would be made in house.

Also, BTW, as you might have read elsewhere, "Lawton" is apparently almost back in business. After being advised so by an acquaintance, I e-mailed them on 4/12, asking a bunch of questions. I have yet to receive a reply. Still no phone number posted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don`t believe Cheytac ever built anything. Just a name only. They used Lawton, Bill Ritchie(EDM ARMS), then Stiller. Just wonder if they have changed? </div></div>

The chassis on their site look suspiciously like something built by Scott McRee.

The only thing you can buy off their web site right now are t-shirts, hats and poloshirts.

I wonder if they are going to payback all the people they ripped off. They owe 100's of thousands to various companys.

I dealt with the new cheytac some months ago. Unfilled promise, no response to e-mails. Meet the new cheytac, same as the old cheytac.

1236:

Please tell us more.

1. Who did you work with? Name and position, please.

2. What work did you want done - and/or product(s) did you want to purchase - and how did things not meet your expectations? Please be as specific as possible. Generalities leave a lot to the imagination.

Thank you.

Darryl and Christine. They were not on the same page. I did not want to use them. I was suspicious. Made a small purchase<$200. Dissatisfied and said so. Although they agreed to replacement, it did not happen. I do not nag. E-mails not answered.Questions on advertised product not answered. I figured they had plenty of business and did not need mine. They actually do not have anything I want that I cannot get someplace else. Cheaper. If you call John Taylor,listed on LinkedIn as owner of CheyTac-USA ,I would interested in reading what he has to say about the company and its dealings with Jamison and Lawton.

1236:

Thanks much for the additional info. Very helpful.

I e-mailed Darryl and Mac and suggested that my message be forwarded to Mr. Taylor for comment. I am unfamiliar with Mr. Taylor, so I also asked Darryl to confirm his "ownership" of the new company.

After the BK all debts would be wiped out. So anyone that delt with them is SOL.
frown.gif

Seems IMHO that a better solution would have been purchace the patents from Cheykrap and open an entirely new business under a new name so the stigma of Cheykrap does not follow them into another BK.
Seems like someone is just opening Yugo, producing the Pacer and Yugo and calling it "New and improved"

All:

Actually, the response to my Q1, as posed to the New CheyTac (CheyTac USA LLC), seems to provide the answer regarding Mr. Taylor and his involvement with the new company,

"A1. Completely restructured company with ALL new personnel (almost all retired military with very deep weapons system experience) and a new facility."

I would conclude that means Mr. Taylor is either not involved at all, or (possibly) not involved in the running/operation of the new company. If anyone has access to the LLC docs, that "question" can be definitively answered. Else, that topic will stay open to conjecture.

BTW, I don't recall having heard the "old" company had declared BK. Data source?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The chassis on their site look suspiciously like something built by Scott McRee. </div></div>

Agreed, If you watch the advertisement video on the site, about 30 seconds before the end of the video, it sure does looks a Mcree chassis. I even paused the video just to make sure of what I was looking at.

Bet Bill at EDM would like to know they are trying to sell some of his rifles again after the court order not to.

cd.jpg

cd2.jpg

I may have misunderstood the in house thing,
If I'am wrong please correct me. I went to their site and everything I saw on the smaller guns looked to be made buy McRee's.
Reason I say this is I'am getting them to make my stock and have poured over their stuff for a couple of months!
Maybe what they are talking about is not on the site yet.
But if not and they are making this, McRee's should sue them if His stuff has a patent at all! Feels like old time's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bet Bill at EDM would like to know they are trying to sell some of his rifles again after the court order not to.

cd.jpg

cd2.jpg
</div></div>

Thats just a letter from an attorney,...not a court order.

old95b10:

I suspect your understanding of "in house" is basically the same as mine, i.e., built by the company in its facility, not build by a third party. And, yes, the design identified as "modular aluminum" appears to be McRee - though PDC and others have similar designs (possibly some of which may be McRee OEM - in which case they would not, typically, include the name of the actual manufacturer).

As noted above (my last post), everything shown on their site - as of 1:19 PM Pacific on May 3, 2012 - is "old" CheyTac, except the M4 shown on the home page - a 5.56 product.

If you check the Product pages, the "modular aluminum" stock is listed without attribution as to the maker. The pics with McMillan and Manners stocks include those brand names. Again, possibly a McRee OEM done for CT.

The NEW design stocks are the ones they advised would be produced in house. None of them are shown on the current site.

Yes Sir,
The way I see Mfg is if you claim to make something that means it comes into your plant as stock and leaves as a finished product.
I do not dislike CheyTac at all. I just have friends that own Wind runners,and the CheyTac's. And with both sitting next to one another I had to ask what was going on?
Then the (old) Cheytac started suing everyone over stealing from them. Looking at their rifles I have to ask. What were THEY making? A handguard that hurt accuracy?
If the new company is running with out EDM's actions how are they going to make the rifle that made the company?
Heck I was going to build a .408 a while back till I started reading about the court things going with them. And backed off fast.
I hope the (new) CheyTac is the best gun in the world!
After a year or 2 of good info I would like to have a .408 that
was built like that!

Well I for one hope they get the company up and running well again. Lets face it they brought Extreme Range Shooting to everyday conversation.

The 408 and 375 Cheytac are great calibers.

Good Luck CheyTac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IdahoMike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don`t believe Cheytac ever built anything. Just a name only. They used Lawton, Bill Ritchie(EDM ARMS), then Stiller. Just wonder if they have changed? </div></div>

The chassis on their site look suspiciously like something built by Scott McRee. </div></div>
Absolutely, the .308 is a mirror image of the McRee chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bet Bill at EDM would like to know they are trying to sell some of his rifles again after the court order not to.

</div></div>

I was thinking the same thing..... Their website still shows the same rifle, did I miss something??

Here are some prices I got from Darryl last Thursday on brass, bullets, and dies:

Dies $300.00

Projectiles $55.00/20

Brass $1.89 ea. (min of 20 ea.)

Best Regards,

Darryl P. Miller
CheyTac USA, LLC
229-686-3219

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dominique</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some prices I got from Darryl last Thursday on brass, bullets, and dies:

Dies $300.00

Projectiles $55.00/20

Brass $1.89 ea. (min of 20 ea.)

Best Regards,

Darryl P. Miller
CheyTac USA, LLC
229-686-3219 </div></div>

Yep, I got my dies for about 300.00. The brass is 189.00/100 http://store.thehuntingshack.com/375408cheytacbrass.aspx

The only thing is that the bullets vary wildly in price... anywhere from 1.30ea out to well past double that price.

Jwoolf,

The price fluctuation on projectiles is heavily influenced by the alloy selected for manufacture, and I have it on good authority that the last "authorized" manufacturer did utilize the best (and most costly) free machining copper alloy that was clear of toxic beryllium. This alone could account for most of the price difference that you are seeing.

Thanks, Noel.

I always look forward to reading your posts... always informative and helpful.

Their brass is stamped with Mark's name. So ,since he's outa business, how long are they gonna be sellin' ammo?

Dominique:

If you were told, what is the headstamp on the brass they are currently offering?

Specifically which projectile were they quoting?

What die (set?) were they quoting?

Thanks.

The CheyTac koolaide is tasting a little funny to me.

Cheytac is a virtual company, initially they started out with some good ideas but they failed to capitalize on those ideas because of greed and because they outsourced everything, they did not own their bullets, patents, their ballistic program, their rifles, etc... Cheytac as a company has no value that is why they keep dying, I have no idea why they keep getting resurrected apparently some investor gets suckered in again to dump more cash into the mess. Now Cheytac has resorted to selling AR-15's, which totally destroys their original vision for their company.

At the end of the mess two good things came from Cheytac, or more accurately Cheytacs affiliated companies.

1. The two cartridges: 375CT and 408CT.
The Cheytac labeled cartridges are fantastic that is why we are offering ammunition and conversion kits for them in our HTI rifle chassis, I do not want the cartridges to die like the company. BTW: The 375CT is better than the 408CT which Cheytac never capitalized on likely because they spent so much marketing on the 408CT they didn't want to change it.

2. The Ballistic Program
The Cheytac ballistic program was the most accurate program I have used, however many new projectiles have been released since and to my knowledge the former employee who weaseled ownership rights over the program has not updated it and really doesn't know where to go with its future development. There are other programs that are up and coming now that will easily replace the cheytac program.

So in summary the cartridges will live on through the efforts of other companies that push them to reach their true potential.

Indeed, the (C)ABC was a best-in-class ballistic calculator until about 5 years ago. It was expensive and only ran on big, ruggedized handhelds, but was based on a library of doppler plots, so it was extremely accurate. As handhelds became less expensive and other calculators hit the market, the CABC started to lose its place. Nowadays, lots of shooters are happy with a $29 app on a smart phone compared to the $1000+ (C)ABC software, let alone the cost of a ruggedized handheld. Still, most of the serious ELR shooters I know rely on tools similar to the (C)ABC such as FFS, Patagonia Ballistics, etc. So you could say the market has caught up with and overtaken Cheytac in that regard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jimmy M40a2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe John Taylor owns the "name" Cheytac as well. </div></div>

You made me look. Theis, LLC owns the federal trademark registraiton for CheyTac for ammunition.... the mark on weapons etc died back in 2005. May be something on the state level, but I did not check that.

Interesting.

Dogtown,
Agreed, but still haven't used a program that was as accurate as the CABC yet. Some are decent but more suck past 1K.

You guys can buy a "Cheytac" direct from the guy that makes them at Becker Machine. He has a bunch of guns in complete and parts that Cheytac never paid for.And for 5-6k, not the 10-12k price. He will even mill your own name in it like he did for Cheytac. Come on guys, Cheytac did nothing with the rifle at all. The ballistic calculator has been replaced with the Iphone and a $15 dollar app of SHOOTER! Dont be fooled.

But that guy is alive and well. He is very happy not having to deal with certain companies that don't pay there bills. And he still makes a first class rifle too.
Cheytac buried a lot of people. He is not one of them.

But you can still buy a rifle from Becker Machine correct? Last time I talked with Scott Becker he was good to go on sale of those rigs.

Jimmy, you are correct. I was contacted by the guy that left Becker. Becker is no longer the solution. He is working on new stuff to be seen. Good luck to him.

If anyone has contact information for this guy formerly known as Becker employee, would you mind passing it on?

Now that Jamison is not selling it to the public anymore, I suspect you will also want to know who is selling decent Brass. At one point it was supposed to be Bertram (sp?), but I am not sure that came through.

Jeffvn

Either way, I just cashed out all of my equity positions so now with plenty of liquidity, I am in the mood to acquire some new firearms. Wade was kind enough to talk me into a .338 Remedy so I have that in the works. I would not mind owning a .408 Cheytac (retirement gift, to me from me) just not at the insane prices they go for. I cannot see how Bill Ritchie offered his Windrunners for 6k and NWA is selling the same rifle with a forearm and bipod for 12-17k, accessories depending.

You can build one that shoots as good as those mentioned for 3K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Now that Jamison is not selling it to the public anymore, I suspect you will also want to know who is selling decent Brass. At one point it was supposed to be Bertram (sp?), but I am not sure that came through.

Jeffvn </div></div>
I think Gafs now list the Bertram brass for sale.