• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The New MDT Field Stock

I put a Savage 110 Switchback in 6 ARC into a Field Stock. Install was super easy, of course. Took it to the range on Friday and saw groups of about the same size as when this rifle was installed in the MDT LSS I took it out of. Difference is I can now remove my bolt, damn bottom bolt release, without having to remove the action from the stock. The stock is very stiff for only being polymer. Came with enough spacers to get a very comfortable length of pull. Cheek riser works good enough considering it has that weird shape. Overall, for the less than $200 it was on Black Friday, I think it’s a winner. I have Magpul Hunters for other cheapy rifles and I think I prefer the field stock to them so far. Not sure either is worth the normal $300-ish they are the rest of the year though when I can get a Trybe ROC chassis for about the same price. The Trybe blows both the Magpul and Field Stock out of the water. But, it’s a chassis so the feel is completely different than that of a traditional stock.

705rrk.jpg

Reactions: Yondering
I put a Savage 110 Switchback in 6 ARC into a Field Stock. Install was super easy, of course. Took it to the range on Friday and saw groups of about the same size as when this rifle was installed in the MDT LSS I took it out of. Difference is I can now remove my bolt, damn bottom bolt release, without having to remove the action from the stock. The stock is very stiff for only being polymer. Came with enough spacers to get a very comfortable length of pull. Cheek riser works good enough considering it has that weird shape. Overall, for the less than $200 it was on Black Friday, I think it’s a winner. I have Magpul Hunters for other cheapy rifles and I think I prefer the field stock to them so far. Not sure either is worth the normal $300-ish they are the rest of the year though when I can get a Trybe ROC chassis for about the same price. The Trybe blows both the Magpul and Field Stock out of the water. But, it’s a chassis so the feel is completely different than that of a traditional stock.

705rrk.jpg
Site only lists rem and Ruger, howd you get a savage

Their black Friday page showed Savage field stocks, the standard web page didn't show them and still doesnt

I ended up picking up an MDT Field stock and I am very impressed with it for the price point. I put it a Bergara B14 HMR barreled action that I cut down to 18" in it and had an HMR and a Grayboe Phoenix stock and the HMR stock to compare it to. I've previously owned a KRG Bravo but don't have one on hand for a direct comparison. The main thing I was worried about was the forend being rigid enough because the mini-chassis doesn't go the full length. Based on what I can see it is plenty rigid and I would have no concerns loading a bipod.
I think it's a great stock and I would actually choose it over a KRG bravo for my use. Sure it is 3.1 lbs vs 2.9 lbs but the forend of the stock is longer and to get the bipod as far forward on the bravo you would have to add a spigot which would probably result in a stock that weighs about the same. With the field stock I can actually mount a bipod on the front sling swivel stud and fit the rifle on a full-size OG game changer back between the bipod and the mag which I can't do on a KRG bravo. I mounted an Arca rail from a KRG bravo to the bottom of the stock and you can see how much longer the forfend is than the rail as a comparison.
Weight: It is 3 lbs 3 oz on my scale which is 9 oz lighter than the HMR stock which is enough to be noticeable carrying the rifle round. I think it is a good weight for a general-purpose rifle but not a light as a dedicated light weight stock like the phoenix. The phoenix is 2 lbs 3 oz on my scale so a full 1 lb lighter than the MDT Field.
One thing that stood out to me is that mags fit tighter in the mag well than they do in the HMR bottom metal, a Grayboe bottom metal and my MDT ACC chassis. I tried both MDT metal mags and Magpul AICS polymer mags and they both fit fine but the polymer mags aren't quite drop free. One benefit of this is that is feeds very well. I loaded up mags with dummy rounds and couldn't get any malfunctions running the bolt as fast as I could pushing against the front of the mag.(This would cause some feeding issues on a lot of other set ups). I'd feel comfortable pushing against a barricade for positional shooting without any barricade stop in front of the mag well.

Minor complaints:
-No QD flush cups. There should at least be a QD flush cup on the sides of the rear of the stock since you can add one to the m-lok section on the front. I think this would be very inexpensive for MDT to add compared to the extra usability it would add.
-Mag release latch doesn't stick out to the sides of the trigger guard so it can't be pushed by the trigger finger to drop the mag. Most other bottom metals and chassis I have I can drop the mag with my trigger finger while grabbing a mag with my other hand.

Attachments

• IMG_5130.jpeg
    IMG_5130.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 353
  • IMG_5134.jpeg
    IMG_5134.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_5146.jpeg
    IMG_5146.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG_5144.jpeg
    IMG_5144.jpeg
    830 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    754 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_5191.jpeg
    IMG_5191.jpeg
    681 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    691.6 KB · Views: 243
Site only lists rem and Ruger, howd you get a savage
It also doesn't show Tikka but they had them on sale for Tikka T3 on their black Friday sale. So it looks like they have made them for both Tikka and Savage. Not sure why they aren't listed on their website for them.

Reactions: Lightning8
I haven’t had my hands on the MDT yet, but the only thing I see that I don’t like is a minor cosmetic thing: not a fan of the big roll mark/label.

If these had been out when I bought my Hunter stock, I’d have probably gone with the MDT instead. If for no other reason, the adjustable comb. The Magpul requires tools and you swap out combs to adjust height. The main problem being it can be a PITA to get the bolt out of the gun with both the scope and the comb in the way, and no one wants to have to remove the comb every time they need to pull out the bolt.

It also doesn't show Tikka but they had them on sale for Tikka T3 on their black Friday sale. So it looks like they have made them for both Tikka and Savage. Not sure why they aren't listed on their website for them.
They haven't officially launched yet, but we did have a bunch of factory seconds around which we sold on Black Friday. Tikka, Savage, and a few other inlets will drop in Q1 2024.

-Anthony

Reactions: stanley_white
Has anyone used an MDT field stock yet and have any feedback/input about them? How rigid is the front end? Does if flex when loading a bipod?

I went ahead and ordered one with the black Friday sale. If it is rigid enough these seem like a great deal at there normal price and amazing with the black Friday pricing.
Same here when I saw that sale I nailed one it was $205 to my door couldn't pass it up and don't even have a need for it at present.

I have a Bighorn SA 4 lb 2 oz, 26" Proof 7 lb 8 oz stainless comp contour barrel and a Sightron SVIII 4 lb 1. Just ordered a little mlok/arca rail to test it with my Atlas Cal will let you know. Of course it's a subjective test, but I have an MDT ACC with the weight kit in the forend as my comparative. I currently load the crap out of it on a bench and have a ratchet strap around the bench I put the Atlas legs against....ACC doesn't budge even a smidge.

I can't imagine anyone putting a heavy rig like that in a potential hunting stock, but this might be a good lil test for the fore end. If I do build it out it's going to be same action, but a light low power optic and a 16" barrel.

Last edited:
They haven't officially launched yet, but we did have a bunch of factory seconds around which we sold on Black Friday. Tikka, Savage, and a few other inlets will drop in Q1 2024.

-Anthony

Your standards must be very high. I picked up one of the Tikka Field stocks listed as factory second and can't find anything about it that would make me think it's a factory second vs just being a standard offering. I really appreciate the stuff you guys make and the great deals you have on your black Friday sale!

Your standards must be very high. I picked up one of the Tikka Field stocks listed as factory second and can't find anything about it that would make me think it's a factory second vs just being a standard offering. I really appreciate the stuff you guys make and the great deals you have on your black Friday sale!
You're welcome and we work hard to make sure all of our products live up to our Legendary standard.

Reactions: AZLONGRIDER
Regarding the Brownells exclusive version of the MDT Field Stock for the Howa Barreled Action, I see it says “AICS Magazine Compatible,” but are there any unlisted qualifiers like Only MDT Polymer or Only MDT Metal or Not Accurate Mag AICS or Not Magpul or anything like that?

My Howa Barreled Action in my MDT ACC Premier works well with Magpul AICS and AI metal magazines and I am curious if I can expect the same from the MDT Field Stock.

-Stan

Regarding the Brownells exclusive version of the MDT Field Stock for the Howa Barreled Action, I see it says “AICS Magazine Compatible,” but are there any unlisted qualifiers like Only MDT Polymer or Only MDT Metal or Not Accurate Mag AICS or Not Magpul or anything like that?

My Howa Barreled Action in my MDT ACC Premier works well with Magpul AICS and AI metal magazines and I am curious if I can expect the same from the MDT Field Stock.

-Stan
It will be the same compatibility between the ACC Premier and Field Stock.

MDT Sporting Goods Ltd. Announces Their New Field Stock.​

View attachment 8180735
View attachment 8180736

We are excited to announce the launch of the new MDT Field Stock. This entry-level stock with aluminum v-block bedding offers incredible improvements, providing accuracy for your action. An injection-molded polymer body creates a warm-to-the-touch grip in any condition.

The MDT Field Stock was built for any situation; range days, hunting, or competition. It features M-LOK slots on the bottom and sides of the forend, a toolless adjustable cheek riser for a perfect cheek weld, and Length of Pull spacers for optimized fit. Sling studs on the forend and buttstock provide mounting options for slings or bipods. It also converts your rifle to use AICS magazines.
Launching in the Remington 700 SA inlet, in Black and FDE.

The MDT Field Stock is now available with a starting price of $299.95 USD and can be found at https://mdttac.com/mdt-field-stock/

Does this stock use an actual metal bottom metal? It looks like a plastic or similar material in the photo, to the grip.

Does this stock use an actual metal bottom metal? It looks like a plastic or similar material in the photo, to the grip.

To me "bottom metal" has always meant the floorplate and trigger guard - so no. Trigger guard is plastic and there is no floorplate obviously. But the whole stock is molded around a metal center piece that the action mounts to, and the magazine slides up through. That metal piece is exposed on the bottom of the action (anodized flat black) - so maybe that's what you were asking?

To me "bottom metal" has always meant the floorplate and trigger guard - so no. Trigger guard is plastic and there is no floorplate obviously. But the whole stock is molded around a metal center piece that the action mounts to, and the magazine slides up through. That metal piece is exposed on the bottom of the action (anodized flat black) - so maybe that's what you were asking?
Not necessarily. I consider the triggerguard part of the bottom metal.

For example:

Mamba_HowaMiniBottomMetal_01__75074.1682361465.jpg
This MDT's "metal" bottom metal for the howa.

The reason its asked is because lots of companies have went to a plastic bottom metal (for cost cutting), and those are known to crack after multiple installs or single installs of higher torque.

However, when I emailed MDT, they told me that it was a one piece setup for this stock..both the bedding block and bottom metal were not separable in the stock, and 1 singular entity, and were made of metal.

Not necessarily. I consider the triggerguard part of the bottom metal.

For example:

Mamba_HowaMiniBottomMetal_01__75074.1682361465.jpg
This MDT's "metal" bottom metal for the howa.

The reason its asked is because lots of companies have went to a plastic bottom metal (for cost cutting), and those are known to crack after multiple installs or single installs of higher torque.

However, when I emailed MDT, they told me that it was a one piece setup for this stock..both the bedding block and bottom metal were not separable in the stock, and 1 singular entity, and were made of metal.

Uh, that’s what I said. Better read it again instead of trying to correct me.

Again, this stockdoes not have bottom metal. The trigger guard is a molded part of the stock and there is no floor plate because it uses detachable magazines.

Again, this stockdoes not have bottom metal. The trigger guard is a molded part of the stock and there is no floor plate because it uses detachable magazines.

I was agreeing with your post, and explaining that this is the same answer I got from MDT, which is why my original question about the "bottom metal" wasn't as simple, since it doesnt use a traditional bottom metal.

Nobody was trying to correct you, you can relax your sensitivity meter for the night.

I see the Howa 1500 SA field stock announcement today and it’s in the website drop-down menu. When can we expect a Savage SA inlet and will it accommodate something for a bottom bolt release fix?

I see the Howa 1500 SA field stock announcement today and it’s in the website drop-down menu. When can we expect a Savage SA inlet and will it accommodate something for a bottom bolt release fix?
The Howa one has actually been available on brownells even before this announcement.