• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The new Springfield 2020 Waypoint Rifle

Anyone know when these will be available? Lots of reviews out there, but have not seen one for sale.

Looks like a promising, factory option for a high end hunting rifle....for those that have the coin of course. I know Springfield has gotten a lot of negative press but I've had several of their 1911's and M1A's and they are built well.

I definitely have my "eye" on the new Springfield 2020 rifle! I'm no rifle expert, but know what I prefer and what I want. The initial reviews look good, but I'll wait a little bit to get one, just in case "bugs" need to be worked out. It has everything I want in a new rifle and it's a reasonable price!

Carbon fiber stock - CHECK
Camo (Badass) stock painted - CHECK
Triggertech trigger - CHECK
Carbon Fiber Barrel - CHECK
Custom 700 Action - CHECK
Cheek Riser (I prefer) - CHECK
Threaded / muzzle brake - CHECK
QD Mounts - CHECK
AICS mag compatible - CHECK

It has a lot of nice parts at a good price.

Accuracy guarantee is just a way to dumb down chamber, bore quality and action trueness. 0.75 moa is right around Savage 12 level.

To me, I wonder if this is $2000 worth of almost good enough parts? For example, it would be nice to chuck some actions in a lathe and compare to Tikka’s for runout and consistency of barrel tenon part of the action. Tikka’s are so precise, shouldered prefits generally work....on a true custom, they always do.

I wonder what the barrels look like with a borescope. To me, the carbon fiber barrel is all marketing. SS barrels shoot...CF is still not in the same realm.

The problem is at $2000, it can’t be a good custom base like the $700 Tikka’s are. It has to be good.

Ill be curious about the quality on the production models and street price. Glad to see they are paying attention at the very least. However ill be sticking to my Tikka CTR Stainless for hunting regardless.

Reactions: TheChief
It has a lot of nice parts at a good price.

Accuracy guarantee is just a way to dumb down chamber, bore quality and action trueness. 0.75 moa is right around Savage 12 level.

To me, I wonder if this is $2000 worth of almost good enough parts? For example, it would be nice to chuck some actions in a lathe and compare to Tikka’s for runout and consistency of barrel tenon part of the action. Tikka’s are so precise, shouldered prefits generally work....on a true custom, they always do.

I wonder what the barrels look like with a borescope. To me, the carbon fiber barrel is all marketing. SS barrels shoot...CF is still not in the same realm.

The problem is at $2000, it can’t be a good custom base like the $700 Tikka’s are. It has to be good.
And I think "generally" might be cutting Tikka short... PVA and others have stated publicly that Tikkas headspacing is among the most consistent they deal with.

I agree with your sentiment... Its an interesting gun but I'm mostly concerned with the action, not how many boxes they can check that SH/Rokslide hunters currently think are cool on a precision hunting gun.

I
It does look nice but then the Seekins Havac exists for about the same price.

The stock does look nicer on the Springfield... but I don't know if I would choose it over the Seekins.
m strongly considering this over the Seekins Havak Element. I got my hands on one and every bad thing I heard about that action was true. Felt like someone stuck old gum in there. I’m not experienced like you all, but even a novice could tell this was jacked.

Rob Leatham shoots for Springfield and I saw he was shooting some PRS stuff, or prepping for some anyways. It's possible that he had a hand in this.

Reactions: Gil P.
I

m strongly considering this over the Seekins Havak Element. I got my hands on one and every bad thing I heard about that action was true. Felt like someone stuck old gum in there. I’m not experienced like you all, but even a novice could tell this was jacked.

Well that sucks, I didn't know they had a bad rep.

I still haven't seen the Waypoint in stock at my local sporting goods store. I'd like to get my hands on one.

Thats interesting. I heard Doug Koenig is shooting prs matches too.

I remember Doug Koenig shooting long range pistol at the Masters back in the day. He wore a motorcycle helmet when he was shooting it. They did have some rifle stuff at the Masters aside from the pistol stuff.

I remember Doug Koenig shooting long range pistol at the Masters back in the day. He wore a motorcycle helmet when he was shooting it. They did have some rifle stuff at the Masters aside from the pistol stuff.
Blast from the past. Shot with/against Rob and Doug for years. The Masters was a great tournament. Put in a lot of work to win that one!

Blast from the past. Shot with/against Rob and Doug for years. The Masters was a great tournament. Put in a lot of work to win that one!

I grew up in Quincy, my dad has a farm less than 10 minutes from PASA. I used to work the Masters when I was a boy scout and I'm lucky enough to have seen a lot of the greats compete, Leatham, Koenig and Enos to name a few.

Very cool. I can count the number of trips back there. Usually at least two per year. One for the Masters, one for the USPSA Nationals, and often a third for something like a USPSA regional championship

I am waiting on someone to wring one out, until then I will have to hold off on judgment. I hope it is good as a 6 creed would make a really good critter killer

I

Are you saying the action on the havak was bad?

Hey guys im new hear but have been following this thread for a hot min. I preordered one in 6.5 creed back in October and just got a reply back from Springfield today that theyre not shipping till sometime 2nd quarter =/ Once I get mine ill report back. Just so yall know I ordered the 6.5 Creed with carbon fiber wrapped barrel and adjustable carbon fiber stock. Basically the fully loaded one that they offer.

Reactions: Davo308
Hey guys im new hear but have been following this thread for a hot min. I preordered one in 6.5 creed back in October and just got a reply back from Springfield today that theyre not shipping till sometime 2nd quarter =/ Once I get mine ill report back. Just so yall know I ordered the 6.5 Creed with carbon fiber wrapped barrel and adjustable carbon fiber stock. Basically the fully loaded one that they offer.
Why did you decide the 6.5 creed over the 6.5prc out of curiosity and maybe help for me to decide

I was thinking about the 6.5 PRC but finding components to reload it at the time were basically impossible and I was able to get alot of 6.5 Creed components before everyone went out of stock. Also after some research I read that the PRC barrels do not last that long and get "shot out" relatively quickly

I was thinking about the 6.5 PRC but finding components to reload it at the time were basically impossible and I was able to get alot of 6.5 Creed components before everyone went out of stock. Also after some research I read that the PRC barrels do not last that long and get "shot out" relatively quickly

I would say it depends on use. They say the average life of a PRC is 1400 to 1800. I've heard Creed is 2500. I've got a 28 Nosler and barrel life on it is 500 to 800, but it's a hunting rifle. So if you plan on using it to hunt, 1400 to 1800 should last you a long time.

Yeah for me I bought the rifle to hunt with but to also be a precision rifle too. I wanted something light to hunt with yet something tactical to shoot PRS matches with. At the end of it all I think its a good cross between the two. Plus every time I hit the range with my .308 i usually go through 50-100rds at a time and i try to get to the range once a week.

They've clearly got someone who's into long range shooting on their design team and want in to the growing segment.

That said, their 1911's have lots of the "right features" too and yet most of them are crap, not to mention the whole XD line of pistols are terrible and should've been discontinued/abandoned long ago.
To me, Springfield Armory = "the other Ruger" the way they jump on the trends and strive for mediocrity, making a zillion "ok-ish" models, but nothing amazing... They're good at marketing and selling guns though, just none I'd buy.

Ruger actually makes functional firearms despite horrible autist aesthetics.

The XD is considered by most firearm experts and top trainers to be the biggest piece of shit pistol on the market. In the 00's and early 10's it was common to see them in classes, and they went down at a rate much higher than anything else. Some trainers even banned them from their classes, getting tired of wasting time trying to unfuck garbage guns instead of training students.
I call BS on that. I have 3 XDs and all have been amazing. Far better ergo and trigger than Glocks

Reactions: riverside jeep
I call BS on that. I have 3 XDs and all have been amazing. Far better ergo and trigger than Glocks
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Want a surefire way to know someone knows almost nothing about firearms.

They own/shoot a XD....er I mean HS2000.

Virtually every legit Firearms Trainer out there says the same thing, they are pieces of shit and the most unreliable firearm you can buy. When you see tens of thousands of rounds fired every week with dozens of guns from every manufacture, year in and year out; The wheat is seperated from the chaff. I watched Larry Vickers and Pat Hackathorn make fun of a kid for buying an XD so bad he went out that night and bought a glock for the second day of training. One of the funniest things I ever saw. And the gun choked like a $3 whore.

Reactions: TheChief and CK1.0

I've been shooting IDPA/USPSA matches since 2009, and have helped out as an SO/RO Safety Officer at a bunch of them over the years... I ran out of fingers to count all the different malfunctions and ND's I've seen with the XD family of pistols probably around 2010, maybe 2011, but since not many people use them in competition (wisely), percentage-wise it's been a fuck-ton compared to everything else you see guys using lol.

An alarming one with the XD's, that I've actually witnessed at least 3 different times (and is pretty common from other SO's I've talked to), is guys ND'ing when one is trying to clear an "average/normal" malf/jam... with pretty much anything else it's: tap, rack, bang, no problem/keep it moving... with an XD a lot of times (especially when a shooter's adrenaline is up during a stage) it's: tap, rack doesn't work (because they're not on the grip-safety perfectly), followed by them over-doing their grip on the gun in order to get the slide to work (and leading to their finger creeping into the trigger-guard unknowingly) followed by an ND... awesome. That's just one example...

I'd almost rather run a Taurus... almost. Hahaha.

And anything, including one of my kid's Nerf guns, has a better trigger and ergos than a Glock too, but I wouldn't use that either ;-)

That sounds like user error to me. Those people should learn to handle their weapon safely before using it in competition.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Want a surefire way to know someone knows almost nothing about firearms.

They own/shoot a XD....er I mean HS2000.

Virtually every legit Firearms Trainer out there says the same thing, they are pieces of shit and the most unreliable firearm you can buy. When you see tens of thousands of rounds fired every week with dozens of guns from every manufacture, year in and year out; The wheat is seperated from the chaff. I watched Larry Vickers and Pat Hackathorn make fun of a kid for buying an XD so bad he went out that night and bought a glock for the second day of training. One of the funniest things I ever saw. And the gun choked like a $3 whore.

I'm not an expert, but I have seen a lot of gen 5 glocks have malfunctions. The gen 3s seemed to be more reliable.

I havent experienced any issues with XDs. What were the problems you saw? I didn't know There were any issues with that pistol. They've always pointed and shot really well for me.

Thanks for your input I’m gonna order one in prc it’ll be a hunting gun mainly

My XD missed that memo. 20k rounds and counting over the past 12 years. I occasionally clean it, nothing more.

What is the right pistol?
Tru Dat. I've got multiple XD, XDM, (OSP & Elite...), M1A... they all go bang when you pull the trigger...every time.

Ruger actually makes functional firearms despite horrible autist aesthetics.

The XD is considered by most firearm experts and top trainers to be the biggest piece of shit pistol on the market. In the 00's and early 10's it was common to see them in classes, and they went down at a rate much higher than anything else. Some trainers even banned them from their classes, getting tired of wasting time trying to unfuck garbage guns instead of training students.
LMFAO.... complete BS! Haters gonna hate.

I'm not an expert, but I have seen a lot of gen 5 glocks have malfunctions. The gen 3s seemed to be more reliable.

I havent experienced any issues with XDs. What were the problems you saw? I didn't know There were any issues with that pistol. They've always pointed and shot really well for me.
"I havent experienced" means nothing except you do not have experience. Its not evidence of anything.

The issues are numerous and well doccumented. Im not going to write another book becuase people are too lazy to do their own research.

Lets start with one. How many LE agencies run the XD? ( and not individual bubba gun from some podunk $13/ Hr agency where they have to buy all their own gear) The gun has been around for over 20 years if it was a viable fighting gun atleast one of the thousands of agencies would issue them.

Reactions: TheChief
Been out for a little bit. Anyone had any time on one? Any first hand knowledge about how it’s holding up?

Nope I've had mine on order since October. Springfield says they'll be shipping these out sometime in 2nd quarter. So it's up in the air at this point. My can may come sooner than this thing =/

There’s a 6.5CM at my local shop that’s been tempting me for a couple weeks. Honestly I just don’t have much experience with Springfield and it’s the non adjustable cheek height version. Was wanting the adjustable one.

Ah man yeah I have the fully loaded one on order in 6.5 creedmoor. I would say if youre gonna drop that kind of coin I would just wait till they have them available but if you can live without the adjustable cheek rest go for it!

They've clearly got someone who's into long range shooting on their design team and want in to the growing segment.

That said, their 1911's have lots of the "right features" too and yet most of them are crap, not to mention the whole XD line of pistols are terrible and should've been discontinued/abandoned long ago.
To me, Springfield Armory = "the other Ruger" the way they jump on the trends and strive for mediocrity, making a zillion "ok-ish" models, but nothing amazing... They're good at marketing and selling guns though, just none I'd buy.
Where to start. They have the 1911 market share that they do because they put out good pistols at a great price point. Their XD line has a ton of happy users and offers a lot of features.

And I think there are a huge number of shooters in this country who think that Ruger offers a ton of innovative products at great prices, thus why they are the largest US firearms manufacturer. But please regale us with the list of US companies that you approve of...

Where to start. They have the 1911 market share that they do because they put out good pistols at a great price point. Their XD line has a ton of happy users and offers a lot of features.

And I think there are a huge number of shooters in this country who think that Ruger offers a ton of innovative products at great prices, thus why they are the largest US firearms manufacturer. But please regale us with the list of US companies that you approve of...

Summer's Eve is a brand I'd recommend for you.

I came here to see if anyone has legit reviewed a 2020 Waypoint but somehow I knew it would turn into a XD thread. Since we should all be aware that the XD(M) is an abomination and not worthy as a realistic defensive handgun, let’s get back on topic.
I wouldn’t piss on a Ruger pistol if it were on fire, but I’d gladly pick up a RPR to make a 1000 yard shot.
I’m thinking the 2020 Waypoint is going to be a winner. Until Bergara steps up their stock game.

I came here to see if anyone has legit reviewed a 2020 Waypoint but somehow I knew it would turn into a XD thread. Since we should all be aware that the XD(M) is an abomination and not worthy as a realistic defensive handgun, let’s get back on topic.
I wouldn’t piss on a Ruger pistol if it were on fire, but I’d gladly pick up a RPR to make a 1000 yard shot.
I’m thinking the 2020 Waypoint is going to be a winner. Until Bergara steps up their stock game.

I haven't read a first hand review yet.

Called springfield the other day and they're saying that they cannot produce the stock quick enough. I've had mine on pre-order since October. They are saying I won't see it till the fall sometime. My suppressor will be out of jail before I get this rifle in my hands.

I agree. My Springfield loaded model has been a rock solid pistol and shoots lights out. It IMHO is far better than most of the Kimber stuff (1911 specific) for the money. I also own more Ruger single actions and revolvers than any other make and find them overbuilt and amazingly durable. I wont contend their pistols have never been the most asthetically pleasing but they just plain work. Since i dont have as much expendable income as others i am more impressed with good value than the highest price tag or tacticool status. I am hoping the waypoints offer another high performing modestly priced option for new shooters. Time will tell but it looks like they checked alot of boxes with these. Its kinda of like motorcycles to me. I don't care what brand you rode in on as along as you are riding.......

Reactions: jklee