• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Pie time.
Mix of natives from my yard, small this year and some from Comanche county.

Use dark karo syrup and the recipe on the back.

20191127_180305.jpg

Some pics from the previous week - got a pizza oven accessory for my kettle grill and tried it out for the first time. Worked great!

IMG_4537.jpg

IMG_4542.jpg

The oven got up to 800+°F in about 15-20 minutes. Cooked that pizza in about ~5 minutes. Can't wait to use it some more!

Some pics from the previous week - got a pizza oven accessory for my kettle grill and tried it out for the first time. Worked great!

View attachment 7192495

View attachment 7192496

The oven got up to 800+°F in about 15-20 minutes. Cooked that pizza in about ~5 minutes. Can't wait to use it some more!
Man I have been looking at one of these for my Webber. Keep us updated on how it work. Might have to snag one of these.

View attachment 7192495

View attachment 7192496

Damn that looks good. Moose, you gotta get one of those so you can swing a slice by. I'll open the Sally Port and send the Elevator down. You don't have any Warrants do you? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

We went from Turkey to a rack of NY Strips. In all honesty, they were not tender. Too damn lean. 1st time I've been this disappointed with Costco.

20191129_174604.jpg
20191129_174621.jpg
20191129_190319.jpg
20191129_191716.jpg
20191129_190953.jpg

Had to put a piece of plywood up to keep my Wife from hitting the car. She stuck the plywood only twice. God live her. ??
20191129_185856.jpg

Got chilly out!

20191129_113948.jpg

And yes, that box on top of the garbage can was 2 5lb jugs of IMR 4831 :LOL:

Last edited:
Damn that looks good. Moose, you gotta get one of those so you can swing a slice by. I'll open the Sally Port and send the Elevator down. You don't have any Warrants do you? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:
The next time I make it I will swing some up to you. It’s all gone now! As far as warrants last time I check I didn’t ?
Man that is disappointing about the steaks.
They sure look good though.

I wonder if you would have dry aged them if they would have came out any better. Bad thing is it take like 30-45 days.
Well damn you guys finally caught me! ?

That might have worked, but who's got a guaranteed 30-45 days left? :unsure: It was still worth it. Wife is making a metric shit ton of steak fried rice with garlic and mushrooms. God I love that stuff.

Now get over here. I'm waiting! ??

20191201_094739.jpg

That might have worked, but who's got a guaranteed 30-45 days left? :unsure: It was still worth it. Wife is making a metric shit ton of steak fried rice with garlic and mushrooms. God I love that stuff.

Now get over here. I'm waiting! ??

View attachment 7193543
Yeah I have been wanting to try it to see it is would be work doing.
? Got to catch me first.

• Haha
Reactions: jungle45 and 1J04
Quick Chili.

Not to be confused with a bowl of red (authentic Texas Chili).

No ingredients or time for the real deal so this is better than most.

20191130_183912.jpg

This brand of mix is important since it has no flour or fillers , no salt so you can controll that as well.
Works out well for dietary concerns.
Williams brand comes in several varieties and will do 2lb of meat, it's all spice in the pack.

20191130_192024.jpg

Most folks will call this yankee chili and thats fine by me. We call it moms 30 minute chilli.

With or without the beans, over corn chips or rice (yes blastfamy) but better with a pan of cornbread made in a hot cast iron pan with cheese and rotel mixed in.

20191130_191238.jpg

No time for a true bowl of Texas Red fine, but this chili leaves no excuse.

We went from Turkey to a rack of NY Strips. In all honesty, they were not tender. Too damn lean. 1st time I've been this disappointed with Costco.

View attachment 7193457

View attachment 7193459View attachment 7193461View attachment 7193462View attachment 7193463

Had to put a piece of plywood up to keep my Wife from hitting the car. She stuck the plywood only twice. God live her. ??View attachment 7193458

Got chilly out!

View attachment 7193464

And yes, that box on top of the garbage can was 2 5lb jugs of IMR 4831 :LOL:

DUDE???!!!

Dry age that strip for 15 days and you won't be disappointed. I buy Costco strips all the time.. Fantastic meat BUT out of the cryopac, it leaves a lot to be desired. Dry aging for 10-15 days will take out about 1.5-2 lbs of water. Then you trim it up and lose another couple of pounds. My usual strip weighs about 14 prior to the aging and 10 lbs after....night and day difference...you will never go back

Looks good and tasty. And I like the addition of Rotel in to the cornbread. We usually just make jalapeno and cheese cornbread.

Switch some of that tomato sauce for a jar of Pace picante sauce.
You can thank me later.

Next batch that I make, I'll share my recipe.

Quick Chili.

Not to be confused with a bowl of red (authentic Texas Chili).

No ingredients or time for the real deal so this is better than most.

View attachment 7193569

This brand of mix is important since it has no flour or fillers , no salt so you can controll that as well.
Works out well for dietary concerns.
Williams brand comes in several varieties and will do 2lb of meat, it's all spice in the pack.

View attachment 7193583

Most folks will call this yankee chili and thats fine by me. We call it moms 30 minute chilli.

With or without the beans, over corn chips or rice (yes blastfamy) but better with a pan of cornbread made in a hot cast iron pan with cheese and rotel mixed in.

View attachment 7193586

No time for a true bowl of Texas Red fine, but this chili leaves no excuse.

I learned to make "a bowl of red" in San Antonio. It was actually a little harder than I would have thought. Lots of spices...no beans. I was warned about keeping it pure without the beans. Drives people crazy here in New England. They love the taste and heat but they are like "can you add some beans". I'm like, if you want beans, cook it at your place.

The interesting thing is the all of the different Chile powders...Ancho, Guajillo and Del Abor. They also used Chiles in Adobo. The heat is super cool as it is not overly hot but it just lasts and lasts

DUDE???!!!

Dry age that strip for 15 days and you won't be disappointed. I buy Costco strips all the time.. Fantastic meat BUT out of the cryopac, it leaves a lot to be desired. Dry aging for 10-15 days will take out about 1.5-2 lbs of water. Then you trim it up and lose another couple of pounds. My usual strip weighs about 14 prior to the aging and 10 lbs after....night and day difference...you will never go back

I still have 1/3 a rack left. Just for shits n giggles I'm gonna give it a try. Never done that before.........

Reactions: Barneybdb
I still have 1/3 a rack left. Just for shits n giggles I'm gonna give it a try. Never done that before.........

Here is how to do it
  1. Take a sheet pan with a rack on it.
  2. Place the strip on the rack. The rack is critical to keep airflow moving
  3. Cover it with a layer of cheesecloth
  4. MAKE SURE THE FRIDGE IS 36-38 DEGREES. I have a small keg fridge that I use so it is undisturbed.
  5. Change the cheesecloth every day.
It will stink to high heaven after 5 days...by 15 it will have a hard, moldy outer layer. Your wife will hate you. That is why I use a separate fridge. You can get a benefit in as short as 5 days. I wouldn't go over 15. Trim all of the moldy shit off and cut about 1/4" of the exposed end. You don't want to eat any of it..

Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
Here is how to do it
  4. MAKE SURE THE FRIDGE IS 36-38 DEGREES. I have a small keg fridge that I use so it is undisturbed.
It will stink to high heaven after 5 days...by 15 it will have a hard, moldy outer layer. Your wife will hate you. That is why I use a separate fridge. You can get a benefit in as short as 5 days. I wouldn't go over 15. Trim all of the moldy shit off and cut about 1/4" of the exposed end. You don't want to eat any of it..

I just happen to have an extra fridge in the shop not being utilized at the moment. I'll have to give this a run. I'll bone up on it a bit and see what else, if anything, I wanna do.....

Thx @Nik H

Reactions: Mooseknuckles
@Nik H
San Antonio is the mother of all chili.

I went so far as strait to chill pods, no canned products and no mixes, no ground meat no fillers no tomato products.

Took six months to "perfect" .

I will shop soon for my peppers and meat and post that. Normally takes me 4-6 hours.

San Antonio Bowl of Red is an artform.

Looking forward to your post.

Here is how to do it
This seems like a pretty easy method. I have looked into the dry age bags and the are expensive. You are looking at like 35 bucks for 3 bags.
I’m going to have to give it a try in my shop fridge too.

Reactions: Barneybdb and 1J04
It is snowing here...The Mrs. is in full on Christmas mode...tree and decorations...went shooting this morning to get out of her hair. It was 26 degrees at the range...fuck me. Coffee and a big cigar made it bearable

Filets ready to go in the sous vide bath

Bacon infused mashed potatoes and green bean casserole from T-Day

This seems like a pretty easy method. I have looked into the dry age bags and the are expensive. You are looking at like 35 bucks for 3 bags.
I’m going to have to give it a try in my shop fridge too.

Screw the bags...give it a try. Most people feel that it is some sort of Voodoo. They look for the gimmicks but there aren't any. Do it for 5 days and see what you think. The most important thing is temperature and airflow underneath. Avoid opening the fridge more than once a day. When you change the cheesecloth, take it out of the fridge and close the door.

I am wanting to buy a Sous Vide device. Any recommendations on brand, wattage........tips for using?

With regards to the sous-vide, we use here a "Gourmia" and definitely like it. No complaints at all, and have had it for 2 years. Or is it 3?

With regards to 'Aging' or 'Dry-Aging' beef, this is something that I've been looking into for a while now. Years ago, back before the devastation (when we could have afforded it) I spoke with a local shop about purchasing a "Short Loin" and aging it in their cooler. That plan was a go, but then 'shit happened'. Still something I've been wanting to do, but it was a 'one-day, I'll be able to again' type thing.

Fast-forward to about 8 months ago, when our local grocery store literally put up a glass 'dry-aging enclosure' where they age loins for 28 days. You can see it/them all hanging there, and choose the loin that you'd like them to slice a/some steak from.

At "cubic-dollars per pound" obviously.

Thing is though, it is both temperature controlled as well as humidity controlled. They don't wrap with cheesecloth or anything. (I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about other methods or posters) I have a LOT to learn and I'm doing as much 'vicariously' as possible. This way, when I DO buy a 'short loin' and dive in head-first to this process, I don't ruin it OR lose too much of it.

So I've been looking at the Auber Instruments website at their 'dry-aging' controllers. There are a few different models, but control the humidity and temp of the enclosure. I'm going to see about adding this 'ability' to my smoker here. They also have 'circulating fans'. As I'm wanting to have 'better control' of my smoker, I'm trying to figure out the best device that will do all-of-the-above including a smoke-generator too. The funny thing is, you WANT humidity for smoking (cold) and you DON'T WANT humidity for dry-aging.

Add to that our -40 temps here (ambient) so that adds further complications to the process.

Ya'll see how I'm confusing myself into a corner? But it IS something that I'd sure like to accomplish. We buy steak here so rarely, that if I can 'produce' our own in a somewhat 'economical' manner, then we could (theoretically) have it more often. HA.

With regards to the sous-vide, we use here a "Gourmia" and definitely like it. No complaints at all, and have had it for 2 years. Or is it 3?

With regards to 'Aging' or 'Dry-Aging' beef, this is something that I've been looking into for a while now. Years ago, back before the devastation (when we could have afforded it) I spoke with a local shop about purchasing a "Short Loin" and aging it in their cooler. That plan was a go, but then 'shit happened'. Still something I've been wanting to do, but it was a 'one-day, I'll be able to again' type thing.

Fast-forward to about 8 months ago, when our local grocery store literally put up a glass 'dry-aging enclosure' where they age loins for 28 days. You can see it/them all hanging there, and choose the loin that you'd like them to slice a/some steak from.

At "cubic-dollars per pound" obviously.

Thing is though, it is both temperature controlled as well as humidity controlled. They don't wrap with cheesecloth or anything. (I'm not saying ANYTHING negative about other methods or posters) I have a LOT to learn and I'm doing as much 'vicariously' as possible. This way, when I DO buy a 'short loin' and dive in head-first to this process, I don't ruin it OR lose too much of it.

So I've been looking at the Auber Instruments website at their 'dry-aging' controllers. There are a few different models, but control the humidity and temp of the enclosure. I'm going to see about adding this 'ability' to my smoker here. They also have 'circulating fans'. As I'm wanting to have 'better control' of my smoker, I'm trying to figure out the best device that will do all-of-the-above including a smoke-generator too. The funny thing is, you WANT humidity for smoking (cold) and you DON'T WANT humidity for dry-aging.

Add to that our -40 temps here (ambient) so that adds further complications to the process.

Ya'll see how I'm confusing myself into a corner? But it IS something that I'd sure like to accomplish. We buy steak here so rarely, that if I can 'produce' our own in a somewhat 'economical' manner, then we could (theoretically) have it more often. HA.

Much of what you say is true. The cost of "dry aged" meat is 2-3X. That is why I do it myself.

You are correct that humidity is your enemy. That is the whole purpose of dry aging....dehydration. However, the cheesecloth and the rack under the loin does the same thing only in a cheap and inelegant way. The airflow on all sides of the loin provided by the rack ensures that moisture has a path out. The cheesecloth absorbs it. That is why it is changed every or every couple of days.

As with anything these days, a dedicated high dollar fridge with pretty glass doors that allow you to look at your meat while it ages is a beautiful piece of equipment but is completely unnecessary. If it makes you feel good, go for it. But know full well that it does nothing for the aging process. Hanging it vertically does nothing other than improve the utilization of space in the fridge. I only do one loin at a time so no issue with my little fridge. The humidity in your fridge is perfect as long as the temperature is 36-39 degrees AND you DON'T DISTURB it. The more you open the door, the more humidity is an issue. That is why I have a separate little fridge. I keep an accurate thermometer and a hygrometer in it. Try it yourself if you need proof. As I said previously, if this setup didn't work, then the loin wouldn't lose 2-3 lbs of water during the 21 days.

I seldom spend a ton money on kitchen stuff other than pots and pans (most important items if you want to cook well) stove, blender, stand mixer and food processors. Everything else is done on the cheap because after 35 years of cooking, I find none of it is value add. My little dry aging setup cost less than $300 including fridge, thermometer and hygrometer.

YMMV

Nik, by all means I agree with you, and believe you. As it is though, I don't have access to a 'spare fridge'. We do have 'another fridge' but it is being used to 'fridge stuff'.

What I do have though, is a smoker. Not your typical smoker though, it is a HUGE smoker, with insulated walls and doors. 11 or 12 racks inside, and it stands over 6' tall. Over 2' wide and about 3' front-to-back. That is what I'm looking to see about turning into a drying/curing station.

I had forgotten to mention that I'm also wanting to get into making my own cured sausage and whatnot. Things like salami and 'summer sausage' and the like. Dried, hard sausages need to be cured for 'some weeks' in a temperature and humidity controlled environment. I do have a spare 'dehumidifier' but not sure how much that is needed in the cold temps. I'd like to make anywhere between 10 and 60 lbs of sausage at a time. Add to that a number of friends that want me to make their deer sausage and stuff.... hence why I'm wanting to do this the 'surest' way I can.

My Lady would have a conniption if I were to even go near her other fridge with a 'chunk of beast' that would get all mouldy/stinky. HA.

When I can, I'll try and put up a picture of what I'm talking about. Doing things on a grand scale is always appealing, right?