• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

My wife could kill me if i don't eat that green shit :ROFLMAO:
*steps onto soap box*

That shit is completely unnecessary in the human diet. If you just like the taste that’s one thing but don’t think you’re getting anything special from it. In fact, it could be contributing to kidney stones.

Sorry, I’ll show myself out now

Reactions: JR_77
*steps onto soap box*

That shit is completely unnecessary in the human diet. If you just like the taste that’s one thing but don’t think you’re getting anything special from it. In fact, it could be contributing to kidney stones.

Sorry, I’ll show myself out now
1680644771943.gif

Asparigus is much more likely to cause gout than kidney stones. Spinach is a more likely contributor to kidney stones, especially when eaten raw in salads. However, neither is likely to cause anything at all unless it becomes a heavy part of your diet. As in, eaten every day for two weeks while it is coming out of your garden while you also are not consuming enough water to flush out the kidneys.

As much as I like meat of all types, humans are omnivores, not carnivores, and do require things like the fiber, vitamins and minerals that are in vegetables.

But, you do you. It matters not one iota to me.

View attachment 8112593

Asparigus is much more likely to cause gout than kidney stones. Spinach is a more likely contributor to kidney stones, especially when eaten raw in salads. However, neither is likely to cause anything at all unless it becomes a heavy part of your diet. As in, eaten every day for two weeks while it is coming out of your garden while you also are not consuming enough water to flush out the kidneys.

As much as I like meat of all types, humans are omnivores, not carnivores, and do require things like the fiber, vitamins and minerals that are in vegetables.

There are only trace amounts of useable micronutrients in vegetables and they’re offset by any defense chemicals in the parts of plants that aren’t meant to be eaten.

And there has only been one interventional study involving fiber. And the zero-fiber diet outperformed any others

Vegetables are survival foods. For when animals or the fruit of plants are scarce.

And I’ve shit all this up to ultimately say: If you feel like you are doing fine, keep on keeping on. If you feel like you could perform better or use a little more energy, eating more plants is most likely going to be counterproductive

Reactions: JR_77
Got bored this morning while no one was awake. Had some homemade pork sausage in the freezer, so cooked it up and made some gravy after I was done. Only thing not homemade was the biscuits. View attachment 8125411

This is quick and easy for home made biscuits.
And freakin delicious.

I put my butter and box grater, as well as bowl for it in the freezer for 30 min to hour though.
Then do butter.
Then toss in freezer.

Fluffy and flakier biscuits that way.

To save time and to cut down on working the dough, I just cut squares with a knife.

This is quick and easy for home made biscuits.
And freakin delicious.

I put my butter and box grater, as well as bowl for it in the freezer for 30 min to hour though.
Then do butter.
Then toss in freezer.

Fluffy and flakier biscuits that way.

To save time and to cut down on working the dough, I just cut squares with a knife.
Been meaning to try two ingredient biscuits someday. Just heavy whipping cream and self rising flour.

I have a recipe from my wife’s grandmother, just didn’t feel like making them this morning

Reactions: powdahound76
Tried something different this week.
Coconut Lime chicken with cilantro lime rice.
Use the excess sauce over the chicken and rice.
It was fantastic just wish i would have doubled the recipe since all that was left for me was dirty pans.
I used full fat coconut milk instead of coconut cream, and Serrano peppers instead of Jalapeno.
Will post a whole ingredients list when i cook it again and make a few tweaks, could have used a bit more grated fresh ginger but maybe thats just me since i like to eat it by its self.

Made my wife’s favorite for our anniversary.

A sauté of filet, baby potatoes, pearl onions cooked in stock, vermouth and tarragon. Cremini mushrooms sautéed in butter. Cover with a butter and heavy cream sauce flavored with the beef renderings and a little Chardonnay. Sprinkle of parsley.

IMG_0225.jpeg

Last edited:
When you find yourself with one of these, here are 3 different ways to make some good nom….
sj3LGi.jpg

The meat was brined over night in a salt/sugar solution.

First one is the thick portion of the breasts. These were given a light coat of seasoned flour then roasted to an internal temp of 160.
YJSVHb.jpg

Second is the tenders and thin ends of the breasts cut into strips, seasoned then bacon wrapped. Pan fried till the bacon is crisped.
NpWf78.jpg

mLHj4g.jpg

…….and last but not least is the dark meat. The legs and thighs on wild turkeys are tough as nails and don’t do well with conventional baking, roasting or grilling methods. In my opinion the best way to deal with them is the crockpot. Cook them long enough that they just about fall apart. The meat is great for sandwich spread, soup or maybe some egg noodles.
RgbUA2.jpg

yLQb0Z.jpg

WFDisL.jpg

Save the broth for soup base….

When you find yourself with one of these, here are 3 different ways to make some good nom….
sj3LGi.jpg

First one is the thick portion of the breasts. These were given a light coat of seasoned flour then roasted to an internal temp of 160.
YJSVHb.jpg

Second is the tenders and thin ends of the breasts cut into strips, seasoned then bacon wrapped. Pan fried till the bacon is crisped.
NpWf78.jpg

mLHj4g.jpg

…….and last but not least is the dark meat. The legs and thighs on wild turkeys are tough as nails and don’t do well with conventional baking, roasting or grilling methods. In my opinion the best way to deal with them is the crockpot. Cook them long enough that they just about fall apart. The meat is great for sandwich spread, soup or maybe some egg noodles.
RgbUA2.jpg

yLQb0Z.jpg

WFDisL.jpg

You had me at "The meat was brined over night in a salt/sugar solution."

So a side dish for Tex Mex nite.
About as simple as it gets.

Wash / dry, oil, season and grill on medium heat. I like to add a little lime juice squirted on them.
Goya Fajita seasoning is what I use.

You can gather your own or get them at the market allready void of needles .

Nopales

20230509_190348.jpg

You want a little blister on them.
They are not hot at all.
More like a bell pepper with a slight citrus flavor.

Serving / cooking with the slices in them seems to be traditional and let's some of the juices out and flavor in..

About 5 minutes per side on a medium-low flame.

"You want to eat the cactus?
Yes please."

A South American illegal alien working in a restaurant was amazed when a white boy ordered them off menu and the cooks in the back knew exactly what I wanted.

Fort Worth Texas has become a melting pot of south of the border, farther south of multiple boarders and Tex-Mex food.

The lines are blurred but a margarita helps straiten them out.

It's strange when you are talking to a food server that doesn't understand Texmex lingo, or customary " Mexican" but come to find out is collage educated illegal alien that only speaks high Spanish or perfect English. Lol

Last edited:
Whipped up a beef pot pie today. Small change from the usual turkey version cause I was home alone. I didn’t eat all of the missing pieces, my BIL came by and ate. He took some home for later as well
FFC54925-D732-4889-985D-963B747F1132.jpeg

Reactions: tnichols
Fort Worth Texas has become a melting pot of south of the border, farther south of multiple boarders and Tex-Mex food.
And Fort Worth is home to TX Whiskey.
It's strange when you are talking to a food server that doesn't understand Texmex lingo, or customary " Mexican" but come to find out is collage educated illegal alien that only speaks high Spanish or perfect English. Lol
I had some collage education but no degree. And I speak bubbaspanol.

Reactions: Snuby642
Ya TX single barrel cask strength is what I like.
20230515_111445.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronws
The end of crawfish season.
The wife wiping out some big ones! 👍View attachment 8141998
I do love some mud bugs. Many moons ago, we went to visit my brother-in-law and his family to see our youngest neice graduate high school. They live a outside of Baton Rouge. So, for her graduation, her dad got a huge bag of fresh crawfish. A big old pot and propane burner stand.

I think he had some Zatarain's. Boiled that, small red potatoes, baby ears of corn, portobello mushrooms.

With some leftover crawfish he had frozen, he made some crawfish etoufee'. Also, some catfish filets left over and pan fried those.

The older neice was a pastry chef at the time. The younger neice had a boyfriend who was enlisting in the Marines out of high school. She got the USMC logo and screened onto a two layer cake.

Awesome dinner.

Side story. The Marine served a few tours and came back in one piece and they got married. And just had their second child.

Life is good.

"Jambalaya, crawfish pie, filet gumbo.
Tonight I'm gonna see my ma cherie - oh.

Pick guitars, fill fruit jars and be gay-o.
Son of a gun, we gonna have big fun on the bayou."

At least that is how I remember it.

Edited to correct the lyrics. I heard this song again, today.

Last edited:
Next to Texas I fit in better in Southern Louisiana .

Around and down the bayou from the ditch.

Your standard directions in south Louisiana are :

Down da bayou.
Up da bayou.
And accross da bayou.

Crawfish boil is a kind of open term since there may be fried foods and if enough people are coming could also involve a grill.

You can show up at a crawfish boil with a smoked brisket and no one will give you grief so long as it's not any store bought shit.

You want street cred show up with a homade 3 ft long Moufolatta to any event.

View attachment 8112593

I eat asparagus because it makes my pee smell funny.

Next to Texas I fit in better in Southern Louisiana .

Around and down the bayou from the ditch.

Your standard directions in south Louisiana are :

Down da bayou.
Up da bayou.
And accross da bayou.

Crawfish boil is a kind of open term since there may be fried foods and if enough people are coming could also involve a grill.

You can show up at a crawfish boil with a smoked brisket and no one will give you grief so long as it's not any store bought shit.

You want street cred show up with a homade 3 ft long Moufolatta to any event.
When we would go to visit, we would go to Shreveport. (side story, our nephew went to Lousiana Tech in Monroe.) Then turn south on 49 and go to Opelousas and then get on 190 and go through the Atchafalaya. Cross the Might Mississipi and just before the main part of Baton Rouge, turn onto 110 and go around the north side.

The younger neice lived in Baton Rouge for a while and went to LSU there. Then, she moved back to her home town after getting married. The older neice was living in the Big Easy for quite a while.

The North side of Baton Rouge on the West side of the river was bad news last time I was there.

Two of us broke leather just to get gas. A bad local element there after Hurricane Katrina transplants.

Reactions: jungle45 and Ronws
One of my favorite dishes from Louisiana is Flounder Lafitte.
(stuffed flounder)

The best was from a restaurant a couple blocks up the bayou from the C-Way Marina both of which were destroyed by one of the hurricanes.

Also have friends in Houma La that make it real good. We had caught a blanket sized flounder and it was a treat.

It takes a long thin fillet knife and a skilled hand to fillet the bones from the inside out leaving the meat attached to the skin.

It is then turned back right side out and stuffed with shrimp crab crawfish dressing and then baked.

Then served with a remoulade sauce that I never learned to make unfortunately.

One of my favorite dishes from Louisiana is Flounder Lafitte.
(stuffed flounder)

The best was from a restaurant a couple blocks up the bayou from the C-Way Marina both of which were destroyed by one of the hurricanes.

Also have friends in Houma La that make it real good. We had caught a blanket sized flounder and it was a treat.

It takes a long thin fillet knife and a skilled hand to fillet the bones from the inside out leaving the meat attached to the skin.

It is then turned back right side out and stuffed with shrimp crab crawfish dressing and then baked.

Then served with a remoulade sauce that I never learned to make unfortunately.
I have made remoulade sauce a few times. Here is how I make it
  • 1 1/4 cups mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup stone ground mustard or Creole mustard if possible
  • 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
  • 1 to 2 teaspoons Cajun or Creole seasoning
  • 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
  • 1 teaspoon pickle juice (dill or sweet, your preference)
  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce ( I use Tabasco)
  • 1 large clove garlic, smashed and minced
Whisk all of the ingredients thoroughly in a metal bowl. Start with a tsp of the Cajun seasoning and add more until it tastes good to you.

Chill it for a few hours before using

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
My daughter and I like it but you can’t cook it too long or it will turn grayish color and and not as tender. I’m disappointed in myself for throwing away hearts in the past it’s good eatin’!
Liver is the same way. Thawed, salted, and cooked in butter for no longer than a minute total. Otherwise it’s a little tough

Someone my wife works with bought a half cow from some ranch around us and it came with a few hearts and livers. She and my wife were talking one day and asked if we wanted them. My wife didn’t even finish asking(in the long form way women are want to do) before I said yes, obviously.

Reactions: lash and JR_77
Hearts rare yes grilled, liver not for me.

Liver gets seasoned, floured and quick sear and removed from pan.

A huge pile of sliced onions, like two huge Texas size white onions gets
put in the pan with a little seasoning small amount of oil maybe a little butter
and whatever was in the pan.

Cook for a little while on medium heat and scape pan gruise up.
Put liver back in between onions on top and bottom cook on low.
An hour later put in cream gravy, two batches and heat up as directed then turn
back down to low for another hour.

They will be fork tender, sweet and just need some mashed potatoes.

The North side of Baton Rouge on the West side of the river was bad news last time I was there.

Two of us broke leather just to get gas. A bad local element there after Hurricane Katrina transplants.
Hood rats from the Big Sleazy left after Katrina, went to BR, Alex. Laf. and Shreveport. Polluted the whole state. They would ride around the neighborhoods looking to steal, gas, generators and food. I stayed armed for quite a while. (y)

Reactions: Snuby642 and Ronws
Damn, why did I click on this when I'm fasting and taking colin cleanse meds for my colonoscopy tomorrow. I'm sooooo fricking hungry.:(
But seriously, if you need some help with the cravings you can try putting some Himalayan salt in a glass of water. That cuts down on the skin crawly feeling when you’re not used to fasting

Hood rats from the Big Sleazy left after Katrina, went to BR, Alex. Laf. and Shreveport. Polluted the whole state. They would ride around the neighborhoods looking to steal, gas, generators and food. I stayed armed for quite a while. (y)
I am always armed. My EDC is a 9 mm full size in an OWB holster under a large shirt. I work in Dallas and during the mostly peaceful riots a few years ago, my secondary carry was my M4 A3 in a plain black bag. A number of loaded mags for that, extra mags of 9 mm, another box or two of that.

But fortunately, I did not have to use them. Where I work is in the actual working part of town, which is like kryptonite to the protesters. In between there and home, I was doing .8 Mach on the tollway.

But seriously, if you need some help with the cravings you can try putting some Himalayan salt in a glass of water. That cuts down on the skin crawly feeling when you’re not used to fasting
Thanks but I made it through OK. Had my exam today and got a clean bill of health other than one small polyp they removed. Had a nice turkey/bacon club sammich and tomorrow it's a rib eye!

Thanks but I made it through OK. Had my exam today and got a clean bill of health other than one small polyp they removed. Had a nice turkey/bacon club sammich and tomorrow it's a rib eye!
Good to hear

sj3LGi.jpg

YJSVHb.jpg

NpWf78.jpg

mLHj4g.jpg

RgbUA2.jpg

yLQb0Z.jpg

WFDisL.jpg

You had me at bacon
sj3LGi.jpg

YJSVHb.jpg

NpWf78.jpg

mLHj4g.jpg

RgbUA2.jpg

yLQb0Z.jpg

WFDisL.jpg

Dude you had me at bacon.
Makes me want to start hunting waterfowl again, green heds stuffed with apples long grain wild rice and wrapped i
sj3LGi.jpg

YJSVHb.jpg

NpWf78.jpg

mLHj4g.jpg

RgbUA2.jpg

yLQb0Z.jpg

WFDisL.jpg

Dude you had me at bacon.
Makes me want to start hunting waterfowl again, green heds stuffed with apple slices and long grain wild rice wrapped in bacon.

I had 4, two of the large, 2 small, all benign. When I woke up in the recovery room, the doctor asked if I had any questions.

Serious as a heart attack, I asked him, "Did you find Jimmy Hoffa?"

"No," he said, "We did not." Didn't even crack a smile. He must have heard that one before and was just being polite. I was admitted under the name, Senor Pendejo, in case you were wondering. Not my real name definitely descriptive.

Meat department had some lamb chops on sale. Figured since I was the only one gonna be home, why not. Paired with some shitty quick made rice, cause I don’t cooking rice.
6FF71B2A-62D4-434E-ADCE-ACF4C9D4DB8F.jpeg
9DD86742-E81D-401C-BE1E-E32786DF3ABD.jpeg

Been on a tangent lately wanting to make a good Mexican rice since we eat so much Tex Mex.
The kind like when you go to a good Mexican restaurant and actually eat most of the rice.

None of the box mixes do it justice.

Just had some more I made a couple days ago with BBQ pork ribs tonight.

So far I have a viable recipe that gets eaten. If you have the time, probably not just for myself iether.

Best rice is Mahatma extra long grain rice, put it in a strainer and wash it for 60-90 seconds and let it drain.

1 cup dry measure and if using a can of tomato sauce 1/4 more.

I used 1 1/4 cup rice browned in a 3qt pot with oil 3-5 minutes, you can add minced onion a minced clove of garlic and some cumin and 3 spoons of Knorr chicken bullion and at the last a small can of tomato sauce. Then 2 cups water.

Boil,stirring then slow simmer covered 20 minutes no looking.

Or my lazy version.
I cup rice 2 cups chicken stock 1 heaping spoon of the Knorr chicken bullion and one Knorr tomato bullion. A spoon of onion powder, 3/4 spoon of garlic powder and half a spoon of cumin.

Don't skimp on the browning of the rice on medium heat , lite brown is all. Fluff this up with a fork and call it better than box.

I wrecked a lot of rice and read more than 50 recipes getting it to this point and now proud of the way it comes out.