• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

A little pork butt therapy…. Getting ready to wrap.. Going to be doing some moink balls and some shotgun shells as well
IMG_8445.jpeg

Simple and quick but tasty. Beef tenderloin pan fried using butter/olive oil combo, crushed black pepper, crushed Himalayan salt, and minced raw garlic.

Turn the stove to medium high to get the butter/olive oil, crushed black pepper, and crushed Himalayan salt heated up to where the butter is popping.

At that point splash in the raw minced garlic and it will almost immediately start to brown/burn. Drop in the tenderloin in and the burnt garlic will stick to the tenderloin and with the butter will make it almost crispy on the outside yet soft inside. Only takes 4 minutes or so to cook.

Momma and the kids said no more tenderloins on the grille please. Tastes amazing yet the garlic doesn’t taste burnt. Enjoy!

5011C198-8844-4051-8F77-6BC5AA7EBAF8.jpeg
5FECCD40-A712-4207-9153-4FE81DF0C493.jpeg
6B46D5C9-3B25-4FC3-9882-EE8CFFF94542.jpeg

Simple and quick but tasty. Beef tenderloin pan fried using butter/olive oil combo, crushed black pepper, crushed Himalayan salt, and minced raw garlic.

Turn the stove to medium high to get the butter/olive oil, crushed black pepper, and crushed Himalayan salt heated up to where the butter is popping.

At that point splash in the raw minced garlic and it will almost immediately start to brown/burn. Drop in the tenderloin in and the burnt garlic will stick to the tenderloin and with the butter will make it almost crispy on the outside yet soft inside. Only takes 4 minutes or so to cook.

Momma and the kids said no more tenderloins on the grille please. Tastes amazing yet the garlic doesn’t taste burnt. Enjoy!

View attachment 8175997View attachment 8175998View attachment 8176001
4 minutes total, not 4 minutes per side, correct?

4 minutes total, not 4 minutes per side, correct?
To clarify I‘d say it’s closer to 4 minutes per side so start there or internal temp of 115-120 is my preference. If it was 8 minutes total I flip about every two minutes. I put some small cuts in their to help get heat inside. Skillet has to be hot.

We had a great fourth full of good food and wine and liquor including some traditional Greek dishes

IMG_0431.jpg
Everyone wanted medium rare so it was done
IMG_0432.jpg
Mushroom gravy for those inclined

IMG_0434.jpg
Greek Gigantes (Giant Beans in a tomato sauce)

IMG_0435.jpg
Greek roasted potatoes with lemon and EVOO

Yardbird from earlier was amazing. I also made my brussel sprout salad to go along with it. Then we did 72 deviled eggs, and I made my famous prune cake for the church picnic tomorrow. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm not eating a prune cake, says everyone til they try it. Old folks called it a spice cake, some called it prune cake.

5BMMCyf.jpg

yZx7w5s.jpg

iJ1z3Ym.jpg

stUzBAu.jpg

97fKCxL.jpg

dXuJIlA.jpg

BVNIAuH.mp4

5Dhw7cC.jpg

Yardbird from earlier was amazing. I also made my brussel sprout salad to go along with it. Then we did 72 deviled eggs, and I made my famous prune cake for the church picnic tomorrow. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm not eating a prune cake, says everyone til they try it. Old folks called it a spice cake, some called it prune cake.

5BMMCyf.jpg

yZx7w5s.jpg

iJ1z3Ym.jpg

stUzBAu.jpg

97fKCxL.jpg

dXuJIlA.jpg

BVNIAuH.mp4

5Dhw7cC.jpg
Outstanding!

Reactions: HPIguy
Now we’re HOME!!!* Smoked pork ribs and tenderloin, cheesy potatoes and buttered green beans.
359343824_6677415905604756_943941791887680146_n.jpg

*For those of you that hadn't heard, we had a smallish house fire 31 Jan 2023; took over 5 months to get the fire and smoke damage fixed. Everything isn't done; but we are HOME.

Now we’re HOME!!!* Smoked pork ribs and tenderloin, cheesy potatoes and buttered green beans.
359343824_6677415905604756_943941791887680146_n.jpg

*For those of you that hadn't heard, we had a smallish house fire 31 Jan 2023; took over 5 months to get the fire and smoke damage fixed. Everything isn't done; but we are HOME.
^^Dorm fridges are dangerous.

Reactions: Cowpokey
@ HPIguy

You know it is ok to let that butt rest / cool for a while after cooking.
It works to your advantage in retaining the juices that we watched steam out on the nice video.

Once the meat, pork butt or brisket hits the 200 - 203 degrees they are yanked off the heat.
they sit for about 10 minutes uncovered longer for a large cut of meat to let excess heat out and stop the temperature from going up.

Then wrapped tight, not covered till it cools, the slower it cools the better.
I keep my probe in the meat through this so I can make sure its not heating back up.

So this is an observation, you shoved that small pork butt too hard and it continued to raise in temperature way past pulling it off the heat. It steamed out on you so lost moisture and tenderness.
A smaller example of a pork butt, say five pounds needs to be pushed at about 180 and then sneek up the temp till you get to 200. I will run a 10 pounder at 200 without problems.

This in no way is to chastise you. I have ruined many briskets and pork butts till I learned to back off the heat on the smaller ones. Neither of us can run a small pit with one chunk of meat at 225-250.
There is not enough meat to suck up all those btu,s without pushing it too hard. A pit with ten briskets in it can suck up more power.

Yes they are
Ok, I'll use a claw hammer.

Pretend you're in a hot room sweating with a huge light shining directly in your eyes.

This will go on your permanent records.

Were you, or were you not in possession of a homemade remoulade sauce on the day in question?

The Pollet Beuro needs at least a starter recipe .

Ok . Please

@ HPIguy

You know it is ok to let that butt rest / cool for a while after cooking.
It works to your advantage in retaining the juices that we watched steam out on the nice video.

Once the meat, pork butt or brisket hits the 200 - 203 degrees they are yanked off the heat.
they sit for about 10 minutes uncovered longer for a large cut of meat to let excess heat out and stop the temperature from going up.

Then wrapped tight, not covered till it cools, the slower it cools the better.
I keep my probe in the meat through this so I can make sure its not heating back up.

So this is an observation, you shoved that small pork butt too hard and it continued to raise in temperature way past pulling it off the heat. It steamed out on you so lost moisture and tenderness.
A smaller example of a pork butt, say five pounds needs to be pushed at about 180 and then sneek up the temp till you get to 200. I will run a 10 pounder at 200 without problems.

This in no way is to chastise you. I have ruined many briskets and pork butts till I learned to back off the heat on the smaller ones. Neither of us can run a small pit with one chunk of meat at 225-250.
There is not enough meat to suck up all those btu,s without pushing it too hard. A pit with ten briskets in it can suck up more power.
I don't take that as chastising at all my friend, thank you for the advice. I'm completely new to smoking, so I'll be a sponge and soak up any advice you guys care to share. I let that one rest, but not long enough for sure. I pulled it at 205 for this one. Next one, I'll get up earlier, and follow your advice and post the results.

Reactions: lash and Snuby642
Well you have several advantages over a stick burner.

Your temp is steady no art of the insane putzing around with wind wood and damper settings.
A quality offset stick burner is my preferred weapon, they ain't cheep these days and currently I'm running a POS, lets just say I didn't buy it and never would have.

In the video it appears that you had a perfect amount of smoke running,
I guess that is adjustable separate from heat?

I want a new better smoker and at my age and diminishing strength a pellet smoker seems to be the popular choice. I used to host 40-50 folks for Q my boys were in the service and had friends.
These days 20 people is about it but I'm hard headed (no surprise).

Anyway think about your meat having a trajectory.
Your planned serving time is a constant. Everything else works backwards from there.
Establish zero hour, figure hours per pound at 180, 200, 220, for your meat, my reference is 1 hour per pound at 200 but it changes its just a start point. Pit prep and warmup time, mine is 2 hours.
rest time , that will vary by size / weight , rewarming time use the pit or oven. Cushion time for mistakes.

Get a spiral and wright down everything just like a reloading log book.

If I were there I bet I would have asked for seconds.

Well you have several advantages over a stick burner.

Your temp is steady no art of the insane putzing around with wind wood and damper settings.
A quality offset stick burner is my preferred weapon, they ain't cheep these days and currently I'm running a POS, lets just say I didn't buy it and never would have.

In the video it appears that you had a perfect amount of smoke running,
I guess that is adjustable separate from heat?

I want a new better smoker and at my age and diminishing strength a pellet smoker seems to be the popular choice. I used to host 40-50 folks for Q my boys were in the service and had friends.
These days 20 people is about it but I'm hard headed (no surprise).

Anyway think about your meat having a trajectory.
Your planned serving time is a constant. Everything else works backwards from there.
Establish zero hour, figure hours per pound at 180, 200, 220, for your meat, my reference is 1 hour per pound at 200 but it changes its just a start point. Pit prep and warmup time, mine is 2 hours.
rest time , that will vary by size / weight , rewarming time use the pit or oven. Cushion time for mistakes.

Get a spiral and wright down everything just like a reloading log book.

If I were there I bet I would have asked for seconds.
Yep, I didn't want the babysitting of a wood or charcoal setup so this is perfect. Smoke is adjustable, currently have HVAC tape covering up a bit of the vent for more smoke. My BIL did that, and he's been doing this a long time, so I just left it alone. He gave me this one because he's not home much these days due to work, and he just went to a pellet setup.

I will take all your advice to heart, and have started a logbook on cooking for things that we like already actually. And thank you for the compliment, there will be many more meals to come for us, good lord willing.

And hard headed? I wouldn't know a thing about that. LOL

Tomorrow I'll cook some goat backstrap think I'll stay indoors and make a stew.

Edit: Birria style. Really close to a Texas Bowl of Red.

Last edited:
Reactions: HPIguy and Nik H
One of my favorite cooks on my Kamado Joe is Pizza. My family seldom ever gets pizza out anymore since we make a hell of a pie at home..

Homemade dough, sauce and the best toppings produce a pie that is difficult for a pizza joint to copy.

Here are a couple of family's favorites

IMG_0274.jpeg
Big Mac Pizza

IMG_0275.jpeg
Steak Bomb Pizza

Yes please!

Ingredients​

1. 4 chicken breast
  2. 8 slice bacon
  3. 1 favorite hard cheese
  4. 4 large slices of ham
  5. 1 panko bread crumbs (optional)
  6. 1 egg

Cooking instructions

1. Step 1
    Pound out chicken breasts to a approximately 1\4 inch

2. Step 2
    Season chicken breasts with your favorite rub

3. Step 3
    Roll the chicken breast up with the sliced hard cheese and ham. Use hard cheeses because deli sliced cheese will melt and run out.

4. Step 4
    Use the bacon strips to hold the chicken breast, ham, and cheese together. Bacon is like the duct tape of bbq!

5. Step 5
    For a different texture you can egg wash the chicken cordon bleu and coat with panko bread crumbs.

6. Step 6
    Smoke the chicken cordon bleu for four(ish) hours at 250 - 275°F or until the chicken is cooked through

PS: he said to get creative with it as there are many thing you can add your self.

So Birria Goat.

If anyone says goat is tough they didn't cook it quickly or slowly.

And they were probably too lazy to remove the silver skin.

20230716_125001.jpg
20230716_125813.jpg

It's not really much knife work, just to get your finger under the silver skin then grab and pull.

Last edited:
A quick look at the grill and into a pot with onions, garlic, spices and some beef broth I had half a box of. Low and slow.

20230716_131904.jpg

Next a big pile of Acapulco Gold chilies.

20230716_150902.jpg

That's right, " no stems no seeds that you don't need"

So make a sauce with your chilies and layer it on the pot of meat.
Should have had one hour with the beef broth allready so now another hour of no peek simmer before adding potatoes.

Now time for full disclosure I made two big mistakes.

1 Watching a home run on tv while straining sauce from chillies, got some of the skins in the stew.
2 Too many hot chillies and not enough jahillo's.

I added sweet corn to correct that.

20230716_192002.jpg

Last edited:
Very much a good spicey stew.
Thick cut rounds of potatoes cooked in it till tender were great.

Any other vegetable added would work, less potatoes and served over rice would be nice.

In the Jalisco Mexico region it is normally a party dinner / special occasion and evidently at times served on tortillas with the sauce on the side.

I plan on more of this type cooking.
It is using thier style and would not profess to be authentic.

I make Tex-Mex, using the best ingredients and techniques I can scratch togeather.

Big tip.
If you want to save the hassle and extra mess involeved in the chili sauce making, you can get "canned enchilada sauce " Hatch brand Tex-Mex is a big winner but I have even used store brands in a pinch for many recipes.

By the time you add fresh onions garlic maybe cilantro, Mexican oregano cumin etc. and slow cook it all together only the most discerning pallet can detect it.

And if you have someone that discerning around, get a handful of different chillies and carefully split, seed and keep them in large pieces.

Steep those in your pot with the meat carefully and remove later preferably in front of the picky person.

That should shut them up. Lol