• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

Love these little timber chicken.
Grouse for lunch from yesterday.
D9CE36B1-ECEB-430D-ACE0-C3D69B1A58DB.jpeg

Mozzarella on bell peppers?

Yes motzerella on sweet peppers just a little side.
One thing we didn't do was put sausage back into sauce, that was a mistake.

Sauce pulls salt out of meat and flavors the tomatoes , so sauce was blandish
and meat was salty.

Oops! Still good but made a difference.

Reactions: 1J04
The ones publix makes are salty too. I usually brown them in a pan before making sauce and add them back to the sauce to finish cooking through. Steaks seared in a pan and placed in marinara to simmer for a few minutes is pretty good too if you like marinara on pasta. I have a good recipe for italian sausages baked with potatoes, mushrooms, peppers and tomatoes that I think I may have posted back sometime; I'll dig it up sometime if your interested.

To my knowledge I have no italian blood, but do love the food and wine.

Reactions: 1J04 and Barneybdb
@Snuby642

Rough recipe from earlier post. I have a real recipe in a book at home and will update.

Tators of choice. I had Irish baking on hand, so I peeled and cut up. Placed them in 9x13 dish, salted and covered with virgin oil. Bake till lightly browned and about done. In a large saucepan, brown Italian sausages, then remove. In same pan, add a little oil and saute bell pepper, onion and quartered mushrooms. Add a couple cloves of finly chopped garlic toward end. Cut up canned tomatoes and add to peppers, onions (mators only, not the juice). Add some basil and oregano and cook till mators cook down a little. Place sausages on top of tators and pour peppers, onion, ... over tators and sausages. Bake till sausages are done.

1570626688381.png

Awwwwwwwwwwsome!
Have to try this one out.

Reminds me of the Italian sausage and potato soup I like.

Thanks.

Yes motzerella on sweet peppers just a little side.
One thing we didn't do was put sausage back into sauce, that was a mistake.

Sauce pulls salt out of meat and flavors the tomatoes , so sauce was blandish
and meat was salty.

Oops! Still good but made a difference.

Browning the sausage only and cooking it in the gravy is the way to go. Sausage comes out beautiful and the gravy picks up the sausage flavor. I even put a little ground sausage in to start it off right.

That is our SOP but accidently skipped it.
I aggree, needs to go back into the sauce.

Reactions: Nik H
I only got a couple peppers off of the ghost pepper plants this year, hail took out most of the blossoms.
What you got in that blender would probably last me all year though.

I got 8 really full plants this year. Brought 3 in the other day and put them under a light. Still had a lot of unripe peppers.

Looks like competition trim to me.

I normall get the too large misshapen ones at a discount.
Commercial / competition guys like uniformity.

I like a lot of meat from one running of the fire. When sliced and stacked in a serving pan it looks fine, that is if people don't start groping and snatching faster than I can stack it.

I swear somebody will loose a finger some day. Lol

Looking good.

Lol! This is my first one, and that’s how it came from Kroger. I bought it before I did a lot of research on price and whatnot. I’ll Get one from a meat market or sams or somewhere like that for the next one. I figure the next one I’ll try some burnt ends.
Thanks guys!

Reactions: Geno C.
Keep your eye out at Kroger.
They will have the whole packer trim briskets . They will be 2$ a lb because they are too big or small etc, rejects for commercial use.

They will be untrimmed and ugly.
Thats the ones my family's been in love with for over 30 years since I've been cooking them.

The flat cut (cap off) is pricey and the cap has the most tender flavorful meat. The cap will not make pretty display slices but will disappear first off the tray by people in the know.

There are a mountain of videos on how to trim a brisket.
Get yourself one of these 8 inch boning knives and go to town.
15709035392584912338283760038089.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve got a couple different really good boning knives. I’ll have to look into that one!

The ones you have may be better.
The Dexter's are a good inexpensive commercial knife but absolutely my go to for trimming a brisket or boning out game .

Watch some shows from cutting trimming meats, you will see lots of dexters used I think mine was about 25$

Reactions: 1J04 and JBPilot
A little over 6 hours in and I’m at 143*. I’m feeling pretty good for a 15-16 hour cook! I’m about to hit the sack and unless I get up in the middle of the night it’ll be 6am before I check it again. Also I did sneak a peek and it’s looking awesome!!!!

Update: I got up around 3:30 and checked on it and the temp had climbed all of 10*F. The smoker had also cooled down as it had dropped down to about 42*F outside. I bumped the heat just a little and just checked it a few minutes ago and it’s sitting just about 174*. I was a little worried I’d have to do something rash with it when I saw how little the temp had come up at 3:30 but now I’m back feeling better about it. It’s got about 2:45 before I have to pull it because we’ll be leaving but I think it’ll be good. I’ll upload some pictures when I pull it out. It may be late tonight or tomorrow before I can upload any of it sliced (assuming I can get any pictures before it’s gone!).

Last edited:
Reactions: Barneybdb
1571021869541.jpeg

Well there’s the money shot! My review is that it was good but just slightly dry. My wife agreed but everyone else loved it and there wasn’t any left over! I feel like I probably overcooked it a little bit so next time I’ll try to get it pulled just a little bit earlier. Thanks for the advice guys!

Well @JBPilot your making me dig out another brisket from the deep freeze.

Hope I have a big ugly one to trim on.

Try the Texas Crutch method next time. With a remote thermometer and alarm , you don't have to babysit much after wrapping TIGHT.

No matter size it will come out moist, tender but not shredded.

The ones the guys leave on for 16-18 hours are the big, cap is left on as is most of the fat. They have large fire boxes, burnt down coals that will hold the perfect 225 degrees all nite.

Hard to reproduce that with a standard offset back yard stick burner.

I have not messed up a brisket since going to the Crutch except for letting the fire get compleatly out of hand with some green wood.

Looks like a good time was had.

Well @JBPilot your making me dig out another brisket from the deep freeze.

Hope I have a big ugly one to trim on.

Try the Texas Crutch method next time. With a remote thermometer and alarm , you don't have to babysit much after wrapping TIGHT.

No matter size it will come out moist, tender but not shredded.

The ones the guys leave on for 16-18 hours are the big, cap is left on as is most of the fat. They have large fire boxes, burnt down coals that will hold the perfect 225 degrees all nite.

Hard to reproduce that with a standard offset back yard stick burner.

I have not messed up a brisket since going to the Crutch except for letting the fire get compleatly out of hand with some green wood.

Looks like a good time was had.
A great time was had by all!

I’d apologize for getting you to pull one out of the freezer @Snuby642 but you know you’re going to enjoy it! :). I’d love to see some pictures/report of it if you do end up pulling one out!

I might try the crutch method next time, I’m not sure. This time I couldn’t because of when I needed it to be done and I didn’t want to be up 1/2 the night. I also didn’t have a very good remote thermometer. I do have one now. I just ordered it a day too late and it showed up yesterday evening after I was finished cooking lol!

I am running a propane smoker so leaving one on for a long time or managing the fire isn’t hard, just a factor of making sure that I’m not out of propane before I start. I love that it’s an easy way to get into smoking and learning how to manage the meat and temps without having to manage a fire also. I think that eventually I’ll get something completely wood fired but that’s down the road. I’m taking baby steps in this adventure of smoking meat and reading as much as I can from as many different places as I can.

I have a propane fire ring I put in my fire box with a pan of chips used for sausage smoking.
It will be a month till weather is cool enough to do it.

My sausage recipe calls for 1 hr at 100 degrees no smoke 120 for 2 hours with smoke and then 140 degrees for about an hour with smoke to finish them.

The last hour is critical as the slightest over temp of the meat will ruin them.

Too hot in texas for 8 months of the year for my way.

I think sausage making is the real deal and I'm still learning.

Your rig would probably work great.

I think Rebecca just ruined my cast iron pan.

View attachment 7167149

Tofu?
Tofu?
What the fuck am I supposed to do now?
Does anyone know the procedure to disinfect cast iron?

My Wife makes an AMAZING fried tofu and thin sliced pork dish with onions and a Japanese dipping sauce. I've turned a number of people onto some of her tofu dishes and not one person regretted it. Cold in the summer, hot in the winter.......... Soooooo many good dishes to be made with it. Looks GREAT !

Wash pan with rag and warm water.

Dry.

Warm pan on stove top

Put bacon grease in it. Let it be warm and runny. Enough to be a puddle in the entire pan.

Remove from heat.

Let cool

Leave sitting overnight.

In AM, clean grease out, wipe out with rag.

Warm pan, cook bacon.

Eat bacon, clean pan as normal.

Contact attorney about wife making tofu.

Does Lagavulin count as dinner? Ok, fine... Polish sausage, mashed taters, and sauerkraut.

Reactions: gunjunkie45
My Wife makes an AMAZING fried tofu and thin sliced pork dish with onions and a Japanese dipping sauce. I've turned a number of people onto some of her tofu dishes and not one person regretted it. Cold in the summer, hot in the winter.......... Soooooo many good dishes to be made with it. Looks GREAT !

But, but it's tofu...
I don't want man titties.

She did make these awesome breakfast cookies.

20191019_211711.jpg

Oatmeal
Chia seeds
Protein powder
Punkin seeds
Flax seeds
Cranberries
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Apple sauce
Coconut oil
And other good shit, so, she's forgiven since the plan cleaned up okay.
Plus, I'm priming her with a few Cuba Libres

Well it started yesterday...

Made chili paste from a bag of hot dried red chilies. Then I slow cooked a couple of trimmed chuck roasts for about 10 hours. This morning I shredded that and added a potato that I sliced to the size of spaghetti noodles on the mandolin, a finely diced onion, some garlic, about 30 ground chili tepins, some salt, and threw it back in the slow cooker for about 5 hours more.

I'll package it up in a vacuum bag and put it inn the fridge for the rest of the week.

Next weekend, it's tamale sunday. :p