• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s THE "NOM NOM NOM" THREAD

IMG_20200524_151635_797.jpg

Tonights meat.

20200526_172025.jpg

I think the wife plans on chicken fried.
Before anyone looses thier mind on that maneuver her chicken fried steak or venison is eppic.

If I were cooking it would be grilled but she told me to get my mitts off of it.

I have processed entire deer into small steaks for chicken fried and the rest sausages .

I did not shoot this one.

Reactions: 1J04
I do the same with all my ground deer. Just enough fast content to make them stick together.

What was the prep before grilling.

I like sushi octopus and Mexican dishes with it.

Have to diy some day.

Doing a Brisket. Rubbed it last night (in a kinky-sorta way) at 8:00 pm. It is now 2:00 pm the following day.

(as soon as I figure out how (again) to re-size photo's using Linux, I'll get some shots up here again) [You REALLY don't want memory issues. I know I've done this before, but can't-for-the-life-of-me remember how, at the moment)

Edit'ed to add: Pinta/Image/Resize/30%/PNG/Save-As......

• Haha
Reactions: gatorbait308
Smoke that till midnite low 155-160 it then wrap it like a mummy and run it at 225 in the oven till the it hits 200.

Then turn off oven and let set.
No peeking or bark sharking.

Reactions: SCRAM2013
After seeing that chicken I had to have a favorite spicy pork.
This is fantastic with fresh corn tortillas from the local tortillaria and a slaw that's just a bit of vinegar, lemon salt and pepper.
But since the woman and I are doing the low carb. Just the pork today.
Country style ribs cubed.
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, smoked paprika, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, thyme and brown sugar. All into a bowl and tossed to coat. Browned in a skillet then removed. Add half stick of butter and a tablespoon of garlic to the pan for a bit and then add the pork back in for a few minutes more.
View attachment 7273934
Since I saw this post I have made this for dinner a few times...… yea homerun. It has become a favorite around here!

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Core temp at the moment is 126F

As I've stated previous, I'm "cold-smoking" this Brisket. There WILL be oven-cooking involved as well. Right now when I was out there, the "box temp" was up to 150F.

Hour 8.5, core temp 133F
5-30-20 Hour 8.5.png

I don't know if anyone remembers, but the burner-element thingy that died-icated this past Spring was replaced with an actual "variable" coil-type element. I am able to 'warp' this baby up moreso than I was in the past, so this could possibly "go the distance" right there in that box.

It's a learning process, and I'm always learning.

Dude... I'm not being an ass, because I know I damned sure can't afford wagyu but... why the hell would you cut wagyo (or anything, really) with the grain???
It's a ribeye bro, do you turn your steak up on its edge to cut it across the grain? That's typically how a ribeye steak it cut on the plate. The steak itself was cut across the grain.

That said, there is still more cutting to do on the plate and you can cut it across the grain again to eat it. Those aren't exactly bite size slices. After the initial slicing, you can cut each bite as you see fit.

This is also not crazy expensive Japanese A5 wagyu, its reasonable for special ooccasions. Check out the Snake River Farms website.

Last edited:
Just curious, why the cold smoke? I’ve never heard of anyone cold smoking a brisket before.

Just curious, why the cold smoke? I’ve never heard of anyone cold smoking a brisket before.
This would be because it is all I have to work with. I don't have one of them fancy 'pellet grills' and stuff. This is a cold-smoker that my dad and I made back in the 80's for preserving foods. I couldn't guesstimate how many fish, sausages, strips of jerky, and a multitude of other foods have been done in this beast over these decades.

There is a pit that I want to build. All that is needed for that project is time, materials, and a bit of infrastructure.

Reactions: Snuby642 and 1J04
So, after 16 hrs in the smoker, it then got 'all-gussied-up' and into the oven.
5-30-20 30 Into the Oven @250.png

This then cooked for a number of hours. Short version is, I had a brain-fart and had the wrong (target temp) in my head, so I had to actually do this twice. But the end temp (core) was 203F.

Then it rested for a number of hours, to look like this when it got 'stripped down'.
5-30-20 31 Outta the oven after reaching 203 then resting 'some' hours.png

Here is a hunk hacked off the flat end:
5-30-20 32 Hunk cut off.png

And finally, here is that hunk all 'sliced and chunked'. It was excellent, and the first thing both My Lady and myself stated when we tasted it, was "This beef tastes like Bacon".
5-30-20 33 Hunk sliced and chunked.png

My best Brisket yet.

Didn't take any photos. Chicken & dumplings last night. Simple to cook and doesn't require a lot of kitchen time.

Whole chicken in tall pot.
Two cans chicken broth.
Add water to cover chicken plus a couple inches.
Bring to boil, reduce to low boil covered till done. Approx 20 min.
Remove chicken. Retain cooking liquid.
Once cooled, remove meat from skin/bones and tear into pieces.

In large bowl, combine self rising flour, a little salt and some crisco. I don't measure. Probably about 5 cups flour to around 1/3 cup crisco.
Ladle warm cooking liquid into flour mixture to moisten well.
Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch or a little more. Parchment paper makes cleanup easy. Cut into small pieces. (1/2 x 1 to 1 x 2, whatever you like. They will get larger when cooked).
Return liquid to boiling and add dumplings a few at a time.
Reduce to low simmer.
Stir chicken into pot.

The broth has salt, but add if you want. Black pepper is the only seasoning I use. Some folks add a little milk after the dumplings.

Try it. Hillbilly goodness.

So show us a good view of your cold smoker.
I have a standard offset stick burner but it is hard to cold smoke anything in.

I usually have to wait for winter since 90+ f is commonplace for 5-6 months in Texas.
@Sean the Nailer

I like to make jerky and sausages but a hassle on my rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean the Nailer
So show us a good view of your cold smoker.
I have a standard offset stick burner but it is hard to cold smoke anything in.

I usually have to wait for winter since 90+ f is commonplace for 5-6 months in Texas.
@Sean the Nailer

I like to make jerky and sausages but a hassle on my rig.
Here it is, in this thread, post #1,624.

Until I'm able to build my 'Ultimate Pit', this is what I'm working with. Still looking to add-in some bar-fridge guts to precisely control cooling, as well as plumb in my spare de-humidifier to precisely control humidity to make this unit a 'dry-curing box'.

Reactions: Snuby642
Went to the cooks station today. Got minor stuff. The towel is a reminder for folks that show up in the kitchen while I'm busy.

Buddy bought these shorts for me yesterday. I told him - you buy'em and I'll wear them proud all day for the crawfish boil. Should have kept my mouth shut.

I'll do my best to avoid the camera Saturday.

E
IMG_20200603_181912260.jpg
IMG_20200603_174528360_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

I bought a moderate priced pellet smoker grill. Tried it out with burgers, BBQ chicken and a pork tenderloin. The recommended temp and the wifi probes each one turned out great. Moist, tender and delicious. Pretty excited..

Reactions: Snuby642
No pics, but enjoyed some pan seared ahi tuna crusted in sesame seeds followed by some pecan coated rainbow trout last night during my stop at Myrtle Beach. Fantastic eats

please tell me how you did this... Meat, temp, time prep. Thanks.......
It was a 15 lb prime brisket from costco. My prep is straight forward. I trim it a bit and then cut the flat from the point.
I always do my briskets between 250 and 275.
If you want a basic tutorial on the method I use, watch Malcom Reed on YouTube. Look for the video on brisket burnt ends.

No pics, but enjoyed some pan seared ahi tuna crusted in sesame seeds followed by some pecan coated rainbow trout last night during my stop at Myrtle Beach. Fantastic eats

Brother,

Lived in a spot called Murrell's Inlet close to garden city. As young'en I worked at Country Kitchen.

Spent a fair amount of time at Drunken Jack's watching the men bring in the fresh food.

Never went back🤣

E

Reactions: roostercogburn98